Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

International Scouting

Has anyone EVER had a successful scouting trip internationally from their scout? I get 15-20 "updates" every season of "exciting" prospects he has uncovered, and 100% of them are 20/20 players with no talent to watch baseball much less play it. I have tried hiring better scouts, and have done this across 5 or 6 organizations, and I have never once seen a player recommended be better than 20/20. I also maxed out my international scouting budgets to attempt to resolve this to no avail.

Has anyone else ever had success in this area?

Last edited by Findest2001; 04-16-2019 at 12:04 PM. Reason: wording
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #2
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

My experience is that given enough time, and especially if they have high work ethic and/or high intelligence, a few will turn into something worthwhile. Haven't seen any turn into superstars for me yet, but a few decent big leaguers. (One, who I traded away while he was still in AAA, finished second in ROY voting for his new team shortly after that.)

The thing is, many of these players are very young so there is a lot of time for them to develop into something more than they initially seem. And more time for random talent change to kick in as well. I try not to pay too much attention to what they look like when they are signed but let them marinate a bit and see if they get more tasty. (No Hannibal Lecter reference intended there.) Now if they have horrible character traits I probably won't wait long to unload them. But anyone with decent character and any possible skill area I will have patience with.

(Might not be a bad idea to check their ratings relative to various levels of the minors also. If they remain bottom-of-the-scale at every level I'm guessing they won't ever make it. But if they suddenly look like they have some promise if you are looking at them relative to, say, AA, then with some more development and a bit of luck they might turn into more than just career minor leaguers.)
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
My experience is that given enough time, and especially if they have high work ethic and/or high intelligence, a few will turn into something worthwhile. Haven't seen any turn into superstars for me yet, but a few decent big leaguers. (One, who I traded away while he was still in AAA, finished second in ROY voting for his new team shortly after that.)

The thing is, many of these players are very young so there is a lot of time for them to develop into something more than they initially seem. And more time for random talent change to kick in as well. I try not to pay too much attention to what they look like when they are signed but let them marinate a bit and see if they get more tasty. (No Hannibal Lecter reference intended there.) Now if they have horrible character traits I probably won't wait long to unload them. But anyone with decent character and any possible skill area I will have patience with.

(Might not be a bad idea to check their ratings relative to various levels of the minors also. If they remain bottom-of-the-scale at every level I'm guessing they won't ever make it. But if they suddenly look like they have some promise if you are looking at them relative to, say, AA, then with some more development and a bit of luck they might turn into more than just career minor leaguers.)

That is what I'm referring to. They are usually 20/20 even in DSL. With 20's across the board in talent AND in potential in everything except stamina. They never amount to anything. I've only ever once promoted one to Low-A ball. The rest get fired after 4-5 TERRIBLE seasons in rookie ball.

Quite frankly I just delete the messages now and don't even bother ever looking at my international complex until it gets filled up and then i fire them all and start over it has gotten so bad. I mean honestly, why do I even have an international complex? None of them will ever make it out of there...

Last edited by Findest2001; 04-16-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: edit
Old 04-16-2019, 07:22 PM   #4
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
That is what I'm referring to. They are usually 20/20 even in DSL. With 20's across the board in talent AND in potential in everything except stamina. They never amount to anything. I've only ever once promoted one to Low-A ball. The rest get fired after 4-5 TERRIBLE seasons in rookie ball.

Quite frankly I just delete the messages now and don't even bother ever looking at my international complex until it gets filled up and then i fire them all and start over it has gotten so bad. I mean honestly, why do I even have an international complex? None of them will ever make it out of there...
Okay, sorry, don't know what to tell you.
I play fictional and that hasn't been my experience. I can't really tell you why that is what you are experiencing.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:34 PM   #5
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

I'm just hoping I'm not the only one who experiences it...

I perused the forums for an hour or so looking for anything similar to my thread and didn't see anything. Even if I got ONE guy out of it it would be worth it, but I'm easily 0 for well over 6 or 7 hundred at this point, if not in the thousands.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
Erik
All Star Reserve

I have experienced successful scouting trips, but I feel like its either all or nothing. On the rare occasion my scout finds a true gem, they are a 4/5 star player. Otherwise everyone they find is pretty much a 1 star at best. Doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground.

My other observation is that it seems most of the better players in my league were found via scouting international complexes. So I see the AI finding great talent all the time, but in a 10 year span my scout might find 2 players worthy of the big leagues. I check the scouting parameters for the other teams which seem to be very successful at finding talent and in many cases their scout isn't any better at International, nor is their budget or allocation of scouting funds higher than mine.

I chalk it up to pure randomness in the draw.

I hope your scout finds a gem for you soon.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I have experienced successful scouting trips, but I feel like its either all or nothing. On the rare occasion my scout finds a true gem, they are a 4/5 star player. Otherwise everyone they find is pretty much a 1 star at best. Doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground.

My other observation is that it seems most of the better players in my league were found via scouting international complexes. So I see the AI finding great talent all the time, but in a 10 year span my scout might find 2 players worthy of the big leagues. I check the scouting parameters for the other teams which seem to be very successful at finding talent and in many cases their scout isn't any better at International, nor is their budget or allocation of scouting funds higher than mine.

I chalk it up to pure randomness in the draw.

I hope your scout finds a gem for you soon.

Me too considering I hired the best, albeit most expensive, scout around for $1,200,000/season for 5 years. He better earn his money. Even one all-star would justify that. Heck, even 3-4 average ballplayers could account for that. But honestly right now I feel like my scout doesn't do anything well except give me solid player development reports.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:49 AM   #8
lucia9841
Bat Boy

With 20's across the board in talent AND in potential in everything except stamina. They never amount to anything. I've only ever once promoted one to Low-A ball. The rest get fired after 4-5 TERRIBLE seasons in rookie ball. krogerfeedback
lucia9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:41 AM   #9
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

My sentiments exactly. And sadly I still click on the emails of the scouts "discoveries" on the ridiculous off chance he ever knows how to find baseball players
Old 05-10-2019, 05:57 AM   #10
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
Okay, sorry, don't know what to tell you.

I play fictional and that hasn't been my experience. I can't really tell you why that is what you are experiencing.
I second this. My Scout found some useful players for the IC and some minor league Stars who help to develop my prospects too by keeping them happy. Even I had an Star SP who blew his career when he was 29 but he brought me 2 Cups and 2 CY Young Awards too. Ivan Banda, still remember his name. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #11
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesam2 View Post
I had one of the best experiences ever. I went and they game me many different activities to do, I met new people and new places. One of the activities they gave us was white water rafting, it was absolutely beautiful and wonderful I will definitely go back. They also sent us to a lake in a mountain, which was spectacular. We also went to the tallest train station in the world. We went on many walks and trips it was beautiful. This place has a very wonderful view.

This location was very nice and it was close to the small city, the city is very nice and has all things you need even if it is small, one of the things that amazed me was how they could have all theses amazing attractions inma very small town. In the morning when you woke up you would see the mountains and people paragliding.

The hotel was nice and the beds were comfortable we slept very well in this hotel, in the hotel there were lots of attractions, such as a ping pong table. At supper they would have camp fires and song which would entertain you. Even though cost a lot of moneys it is worth spending. The staff were very nice and friendly, there was a touch shop and their own scarf so you could remember your visit.

This is a baseball board.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #12
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
This is a baseball board.
Yes, but does OOTP have a ping pong table? Not to mention white water rafting?
Mountains (I mean I live in Colorado, so I've got mountains, but I never turn down more mountains), camp fires, wonderful views, paragliding, and look, comfortable beds (never underestimate the value of a comfortable bed).
I have no idea what or where this person is talking about, but hey, forget OOTP, I wanna go there!

(Just kidding- I'd take OOTP with me.)