Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #1
baseballprodigy16
Bat Boy

Quickstart - 896 Team World Baseball Association

Hi everyone, long-time lurker here. Over the past couple months, I've set out to make a comprehensive worldwide baseball league. Introducing: The World Baseball Association (very creative, I know ). If you're just here for the files, here you go: World Baseball Association ~465 MB unzipped

World Baseball Association

The WBA is a massive, 896 team project that took up way too much of my free time. It comprises 32 leagues, each with 28 teams. Each league plays a balanced 162 game schedule where each team plays each 3H/3A against the other 27 teams. There are two divisions in each league to keep the races a little more interesting. The top four teams in each division make the league playoffs.

League Playoffs

Ideally, I would have gone with a stepladder playoff system, but I can’t do that easily within OOTP right now. Because there are 4 playoff teams per division, I decided to go with a 9 game round robin. After 9 games, the top two teams in each pool meet in a best of 7. Those winners play in a best of 7 league championship series. The league champion then advances to the WBA Invitational.

WBA Invitational

This takes on a very similar form to the league playoffs. Each league champion is seeded according to its winning percentage. There are 8 pools with 4 teams each. After a 9 game round robin within each pool, the top two teams from each pool meet in a best of 7. From there, remaining teams meet in typical bracket fashion until the World Baseball Association champion emerges!

Noteworthy League Rules

No DH, no minors, no maximum reserve roster, no rainouts, no trading between leagues, shared amateur draft, disable automatic evolution. Some of these are subject to change depending on how the league develops over time.

Teams

I had a couple main goals when choosing cities for teams. First, I wanted to make sure that every country/sovereign state/populated dependent territory/disputed territory has a team to follow. With 896 teams available, this wasn’t an issue. Second, I wanted each US state to have at least two teams and every Canadian province to have at least one team. From there, I filled in major population centers and tried to balance that with not leaving huge swaths of land without a team (looking at you, Siberia, Sahara Desert, etc.).

I finally had my list of cities that I wanted to include. Separating them into 32 even geographical regions was the next challenge. That took several iterations and several replacement cities until I was satisfied with the boundaries. Next was giving names to the teams. Because I had gone this far, I wanted each team name to mean something to the city. Thus, each team name is either a current baseball/sports team associated with that city, something related to a fun fact I found out about the city on Wikipedia, wordplay on the city’s name, or an alliteration if I couldn’t find anything interesting about the city. One note is that I didn’t want any team to be a region, so I changed any regional team into its main city (i.e. Arizona Diamondbacks -> Phoenix Diamondbacks).

Leagues

The 32 leagues are as follows:
1. Pacific Northwest Baseball League
2. New England Baseball League
3. Great Plains Baseball League
4. Great Lakes Baseball League
5. American Southwest Baseball League
6. Mid-Atlantic Baseball League
7. Mesoamerican Baseball League
8. Deep South Baseball League
9. Caribbean Islands Baseball League
10. Amazon Rainforest Baseball League
11. Brazilian Baseball League
12. Southern Cone Baseball League
13. Polynesian Baseball League
14. Oceanian Baseball League
15. South Pacific Baseball League
16. Northeast Asia Baseball League
17. Southeast Asia Baseball League
18. Gobi Baseball League
19. Indian Subcontinent Baseball League
20. Kalahari Desert Baseball League
21. Kilimanjaro Baseball League
22. West Africa Baseball League
23. Sahara Desert Baseball League
24. Arabian Peninsula Baseball League
25. Iberian Baseball League
26. British Isles Baseball League
27. Nordic Baseball League
28. Russian Baseball League
29. Caucasian Baseball League
30. Balkan States Baseball League
31. Alpine Baseball League
32. Slavic Baseball League

Map

This link has the location of each team plotted on a map, and it’s how I separated these teams into leagues.

Logos

Every single team (and league!) has a custom-made logo. This was my biggest mistake and I would never suggest that any sane person ever do this again. By the time I was 6 leagues in, I realized that making logos is tedious and terrible, but I didn’t want to quit at this point.

Thankfully, justafan’s Logo Creator made the process a lot more streamlined and was instrumental in me actually finishing the project. For the most part, I used cephasjames’ 5000+ logo set as a base for each logo. If a team name didn’t have a pre-defined logo, I used Clipart from Google Images and ran it through Photoshop to make the background transparent. I also borrowed images from txranger’s and eriqjaffe’s various projects. I’m sure I’m forgetting a couple other logos from other creators, so if that’s you, apologies! Thank you to everyone though!

Jerseys and Caps

Just kidding, I didn’t make any of these – I’m not that much of a masochist. Unless it’s already a Major League team, jersey and caps are based on the team’s primary and secondary colors.

Instructions

If you’ve gotten this far, congratulations! You can visit the link near the top to download the zipped folder that includes the quickstart, logos, nation flags, schedule, and world_default file. There is a readme within the download that tells you where to put everything. One season takes about 3-4 hours to simulate on a pretty fast computer if you don't export anything. Special thanks to Fishbreath for his Schedule Generator, as well!

Last edited by baseballprodigy16; 11-19-2018 at 11:38 PM.
baseballprodigy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Fictional?

Last edited by mgom27; 11-22-2018 at 11:07 AM.
mgom27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
baseballprodigy16
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgom27 View Post
Fictional?
Yes, fictional. But if the city has a Major/Minor league team, I used that name/logo in pretty much every case.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #4
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

One word.

Insane.

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
sabrejet27
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Really great setup! Thank you.
sabrejet27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #6
Cdog1220
Bat Boy

how do I use the mod with the steam version? I cant find add on central in that version? am I missing something.
Cdog1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #7
baseballprodigy16
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdog1220 View Post
how do I use the mod with the steam version? I cant find add on central in that version? am I missing something.
This download is separate from the add-ons section in-game. The basic instructions for getting this to work (on Windows) are:

1. Download WBA.zip from the link at the top of the post and unzip.

2. Copy the WBA Complete.quick folder and paste it into C:\Users\*your_username*\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 19\quickstart_games

3. Copy ILY_BGY_G162_SL1D1T14SL2D1T14_C_autogen20180904195 450.lsdl and paste it into
C:\Users\*your_username*\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 19\schedules

At this point, you can start up OOTP 19, hit New Quickstart Game at the main menu, and load up WBA Complete. If you want to fix some minor logo/geographical issues, there are further instructions inside Readme.txt inside the WBA.zip download that help with realism and immersion. Let me know if you have any other issues!

Last edited by baseballprodigy16; 03-03-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:42 AM   #8
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Wow, this is quite a project

Great job!
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #9
Ant1976
Minors (Rookie Ball)

When i go to finish today. Game gets stuck on message about draft. I can't click ok to continue.
Attached Images
Ant1976 is offline   Reply With Quote