Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 02-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
Blutarsky
Bat Boy

"xst"

I have used the search forum tool but cannot get a narrow result, just pages and pages of threads.

Many of my injured players have this "XST" listed by their diagnosis.

What is this?

Thank you.
Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
I have used the search forum tool but cannot get a narrow result, just pages and pages of threads.

Many of my injured players have this "XST" listed by their diagnosis.

What is this?

Thank you.
I've honestly never seen that before. Could you possibly post a screenshot of one of these players so we can take a look?
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
Blutarsky
Bat Boy

Old 02-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #4
kq76
Global Moderator

Extended Spring Training?

Quote:
Some players stick around in extended because they are rehabbing injuries
What is extended spring training? | Indians Baseball Insider

I really don't know. I'm just guessing.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
Blutarsky
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post

That makes sense.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
Blutarsky
Bat Boy

Another question

I don't know if it is best to continue here or start a new thread, but here goes.

I have noticed in my very limited play time that injuries in this game are massive. Not necessarily in frequency because I don't have enough time in the game to notice, but in seriousness or duration. Everything injury seems to be months in duration. Ex. 4 months for a concussion. Most injuries and recovery times are 3+ months. No one ever seems to be out 2 weeks with a sore groin, knee, elbow etc... It is always a huge duration.

Is this a matter of settings? I have followed the settings that were posted on reddit and at least seem to be generally accepted as a good starting point for new players.

Any suggestions or is this just the way the game is?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #7
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't know if it is best to continue here or start a new thread, but here goes.

I have noticed in my very limited play time that injuries in this game are massive. Not necessarily in frequency because I don't have enough time in the game to notice, but in seriousness or duration. Everything injury seems to be months in duration. Ex. 4 months for a concussion. Most injuries and recovery times are 3+ months. No one ever seems to be out 2 weeks with a sore groin, knee, elbow etc... It is always a huge duration.

Is this a matter of settings? I have followed the settings that were posted on reddit and at least seem to be generally accepted as a good starting point for new players.

Any suggestions or is this just the way the game is?
I think that's a matter of confirmation bias over a limited sample size. I'll post pics of a pitcher that's been in my game for about 20 seasons now to show you what I mean. Also, remember that some guys do better than others with injuries (as in real life). Keep an eye on the bottom left corner where the injuries are listed (click on the pics to enlarge):
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 02-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #8
kq76
Global Moderator

There has been a great deal of study on the frequency of injuries and when you listen to our experts on the topic they seem to feel OOTP is pretty accurate with regard to them. And if anything, OOTP is a little light on injuries. Some times weird things can happen, but in general people here have been pretty content with OOTP's frequency of injuries for awhile now. Unless I've missed something.

The thing is, over a real baseball season it doesn't feel like there are as many injuries because they're more spread out over time and a lot of the injuries in real life we don't really hear about. In OOTP you see every injury in a short amount of time and because you're so invested in your team it can hurt even more.

Yeah, injuries to your best or favourite players suck, but they're a part of the game. And if you really don't want them, just lower the rate down as low as you want. You can also, like I do, try to make sure your backups play enough to make sure your starters don't get too exhausted and increase the likelihood of injury. Personally, I'm happy with OOTP's injuries.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #9
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Name:  Untitled-1.png
Views: 2161
Size:  8.6 KB

ugh...never. The worst thing in the world--worse than a hangnail--is watching a pitcher bat in a MLB game.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #10
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Attachment 438687

ugh...never. The worst thing in the world--worse than a hangnail--is watching a pitcher bat in a MLB game.
Maybe you should read the link. Pitchers don't bat with the SP-only DH.

If you want to discuss the DH, there are plenty of threads on the Talk Sports board.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #11
Blutarsky
Bat Boy

Quote:
There has been a great deal of study on the frequency of injuries and when you listen to our experts on the topic they seem to feel OOTP is pretty accurate with regard to them. And if anything, OOTP is a little light on injuries. Some times weird things can happen, but in general people here have been pretty content with OOTP's frequency of injuries for awhile now. Unless I've missed something.

The thing is, over a real baseball season it doesn't feel like there are as many injuries because they're more spread out over time and a lot of the injuries in real life we don't really hear about. In OOTP you see every injury in a short amount of time and because you're so invested in your team it can hurt even more.

Yeah, injuries to your best or favourite players suck, but they're a part of the game. And if you really don't want them, just lower the rate down as low as you want. You can also, like I do, try to make sure your backups play enough to make sure your starters don't get too exhausted and increase the likelihood of injury. Personally, I'm happy with OOTP's injuries.
Thanks, I want realism for sure. 4 months for a concussion seems more like a TBI than a concussion. I'll take the word of the vets here. I am not complaining, just asking questions.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:46 PM   #12
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks, I want realism for sure. 4 months for a concussion seems more like a TBI than a concussion. I'll take the word of the vets here. I am not complaining, just asking questions.
Justin Morneau was out forever IRL. Aaron Hill had one that lasted a long time. Concussions are serious business, and might as well be referred to as Traumatic Brain Injuries because if you get too many of them, you might be looking at CTE, which is a whole different kettle of fish, and not just career threatening, but life threatening, at the very least threatening to the quality of the sufferer's life.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #13
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:

Yeah, that's correct.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #14
Blutarsky
Bat Boy

Figure I'll ask another...

I appreciate all of the replies.

I have a logjam of serviceable players on the train between AAA and the bigs. I shop some of them for trade hoping to get a prospect for some of them who are just surplus. The AI (I have trading set to the most difficult setting) will offer an array of 30+ players, some of whom are good, but who may also have a terrible contract. Not unexpected. When I attempt to get only a prospect back, it is always rejected, the "you've got to be kidding" message. Even when I pick the lowliest, no talent, no potential scrub stuck in their lowest minors it is still rejected. I can ask for a 35th round draft pick...rejected.

Am I doing something wrong? Expecting something unrealistic? I'm not asking for the other teams best young players by any stretch.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #15
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That makes sense.
Blutarsky, pending an answer to your latest question, I'd like to revisit that answer for XST which I am stuck on. I looked into the injuries.txt file and found no reference to "XST" and the "Extended Spring Training" suggestion sounds far-fetched to me. I was wondering if anybody had another explanation or guess.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #16
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Blutarsky, pending an answer to your latest question, I'd like to revisit that answer for XST which I am stuck on. I looked into the injuries.txt file and found no reference to "XST" and the "Extended Spring Training" suggestion sounds far-fetched to me. I was wondering if anybody had another explanation or guess.
If lukasberger says it's extended spring training, that's good enough for me.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #17
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
If lukasberger says it's extended spring training, that's good enough for me.
It really is extended spring training

You won't find it in the injuries file as it's simply a manual input we use with the quickstart rosters to keep guys who start the year off in xst and then go to the SS leagues from being called up to the full season leagues by the ai.

Keeps the rosters a teeny bit more realistic for a few months.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote