Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 04-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #1
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

The 1989 Philadelphia Phillies

With the Phillies on the verge of what could be greatness, I thought it was as good a time as any to dust off the Delorean and take a trip 30 years into the past. Chuck Barry was not available, and I missed the Enchantment Under the Sea dance, so instead I decided to see what I could do with the Phillies.

I've done this play through before, and it is by far one of my favorites. 1989 was a defining year for me as a young 11 year old fan. I learned a ton about stats, and spent day after day combing the box scores while I spent my summer with a cast on my arm and playing Hardball on my Apple PC.

So anyway, here goes!

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Phillies Name New GM

March 1, 1989

PHILADELPHIA, PA - Nine years. Its been nine years since the Philadelphia Phillies won the World Series. A lot has changed in that time. Steve Carlton hung up his spikes after just four games last season. Dallas Green is diving back into managing in New York after an eight year hiatus. Mike Schmidt is quickly approaching what will most likely be the end of his career.

1988 was not a good season for Philadelphia. The team finished the season with 96 losses, the most its recorded since 1992. Catcher Lance Parrish and outfielder Phil Bradley decided to move along. Lee Thomas tried to make a key move this winter, sending top starter Kevin Gross to the Montreal Expos receiving Floyd Youmans and Jeff Parrett in return. He signed Ken Howell and Dickie Thon to contracts. He dealt Shane Rawley to Minnesota receiving a package of players that included Tommy Herr.

Thomas’ moves were not enough for the ownership though. He was given his walking papers Tuesday afternoon as the team decided they needed to go in a different direction. Scott Kier, a 40 year-old New Jersey native who has worked in the Detroit Tigers organization for the past three seasons, has been named the ninth GM in team history. Kier set off to work, and wasted no time in making his first trade. He sent veteran outfielder Dwayne Murphy to the Chicago White Sox receiving reliever Bobby Thigpen in return. Thigpen had been the team’s closer for the past two seasons, posting a respectable 34 saves in 68 appearances in 1988.

A number of questions remain as the season approaches. Juan Samuel and Greg Harris’ contracts expire at the end of this season. Samuel, who has been the team’s leadoff hitter and starting second baseman, will make the shift into the outfield due to the acquisition of Herr. At 28, in his prime, and just two seasons removed from the best of his career, Samuel will have to work hard to see where he fits into this team going forward.

The prospect pipeline is a thin one. Andy Ashby is the team’s number one prospect, and he still appears to be a few years away from being Major League ready. Mickey Morandini on the other hand will start the season at AAA. Depending on what happens this year, the 22 year-old middle infielder could see time in the majors. Pat Combs, a low risk, high reward left handed starter who will start the season most likely in the Phillies’ rotation.

With Spring Training starting in 10 days, a lot of players will have a chance to audition for Kier and his manager, Nick Leyva. The season gets under way on April 4th when the Phillies head to Wrigley Field to take on the Cubs.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-09-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Phillies, A’s Make Deal

March 8th, 1989

CLEARWATER, FL – With Spring Training in full swing, GM Scott Kier made his second deal of his tenure with the Philadelphia Phillies, this one strengthening some key weaknesses for the team. The Phillies sent reliever Larry McWilliams, minor league pitcher Rich Buonantony, and top prospect Andy Ashby to the left coast receiving left handed starter Curt Young, outfield prospect Felix Jose and reliever Rick Honeycutt in return.

“Sometimes you have to give up something to get something,” Kier said, adding, “and sometimes you need to take on some salary to help strengthen your position as well.” Ashby was the key to this deal for Oakland. “They wanted a prospect for Jose, and frankly, I don’t blame them.” Ashby’s ceiling is questionable at this point. Jose, who turns 24 in May, is arguably Major League Ready, and will likely see time in the outfield early on for the Phillies.

Larry McWilliams was a free agent signing this off season for the Phillies. He’s bounced around from team to team over the last couple of years but has yet to really find a home anywhere. The same goes for Buonantony. He just could not crack the major league level for the Phillies. His inclusion in this deal has no negative impact for Philadelphia.

Felix Jose has yet to have a significant impact on Major League Baseball. He did, however, have a dominant season playing at the AAA level last year, hitting .317 with 12 HR and 83 RBI. He is a quick, smart baserunner with a good work ethic.

Curt Young comes to Philadelphia in the final year of his contract. He was 11-8 last season at the bottom of Oakland’s AL Pennant winning team. He will most likely find himself near the top of the Philadelphia rotation, probably as the team’s #2 starter.

Finally, Rick Honeycutt is another player in the last year of his contract. At 34 years old, the starter converted to reliever was the chief set up man for dominant closer Dennis Eckersley. He might see more opportunities to close games in Philadelphia, and along with Bobby Thigpen and Steve Bedrosian, he gives the Phillies some reliable options in the late innings.

The Phillies also take over $400,000 off of Oakland’s payroll, a welcomed change for a team that has a really good chance to win another pennant. Philadelphia solidifies their outfield, adds a reliable veteran presence to their bullpen and adds a #2 starter who, unfortunately, will probably push rookie Pat Combs back to AAA.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #4
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Phillies Prepare for Opening Day

April 3rd, 1989
CHICAGO, IL – The team boarded a plane from Philadelphia bound for Chicago and opening day, thankfully with everyone they intended to be joining the team. The Phillies survived Spring Training unscathed, and Ken Howell will get the start tomorrow against Greg Maddux, brother of Phillies pitcher Mike. Here is the lineup and bench for the 1989 opening day Philadelphia Phillies:

Lineup vs. RHP

CF – Juan Samuel
2B – Tommy Herr
SS – Dickie Thon
1B – Von Hayes
LF – Felix Jose
C – Darren Daulton
RF – Keith Miller
3B – Mike Schmidt

The desire to create platoon situations is evident within this roster. Ricky Jordan and Chris James, both right handed hitters, will start the season on the bench in favor of switch hitters Keith Miller and Felix Jose. Von Hayes shifts back to first base for the time being. Steve Lake, who won his roster position over Al Prado who was waived and claimed by the Dodgers, will see considerable time against left handed pitching as well.

Here is how their opening day bench shapes up:

C – Steve Lake
1B – Ricky Jordan
IF – Tommy Barrett
IF – Steve Jeltz
OF – Chris James

The Phillies will carry 12 pitchers and 13 hitters to start the season which will hopefully ease the workload on a pitching staff that leaves a lot to be desired.

Here is their starting rotation:

RHP – Ken Howell
LHP – Curt Young
RHP – Mike Maddux
LHP – Bruce Ruffin
RHP – Floyd Youmans

Randy O’Neal and Pat Combs found themselves heading to AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. As expected, Ken Howell will be the opening day starter with Curt Young as the team’s #2. Floyd Youmans slips in as the team’s #5 starter. The Phillies will stick with a strict rotation, giving all five guys a chance to go every five games.

Here is their bullpen:

RHP – Greg Harris
RHP – Todd Frohwirth
LHP – Don Carmen
RHP – Jeff Parrett
LHP – Rick Honeycutt
RHP – Bobby Thigpen
RHP – Steve Bedrosian

The Phillies return three players to their ‘pen who will handle the 6th and 7th inning duties in Harris, Frohwirth and Carmen, who will also pick up the slack against tough lefties. The three new faces, Parrett, Honeycutt and Thigpen, will be relied upon to handle duties in the 7th and 8th innings. Steve Bedrosian returns to his familiar role as closer, just a couple of years removed from his Cy Young performance.

Philadelphia opens the season tomorrow against the Chicago Cubs.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-09-2019, 09:47 PM   #5
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Cubs Hand Phillies Opening Day Loss

April 4, 1989

Chicago, IL – Greg Maddux, one of the most impressive young starters in the majors, threw a complete game, 4 hit shutout against the Phillies Tuesday afternoon striking out nine in the process. Ryne Sandberg hit a two run home run in the second and Shawn Dunston singled in a run in the 8th to account for Chicago’s three runs.

Offensively, Von Hayes had the best day for the Phillies going 2 for 4. Ken Howell, in his first start for Philadelphia, lasted 6 innings scattering 5 hits and walking just 1 while striking out 5. Greg Harris pitched a scoreless 7th and Honeycutt gave up Dunston’s single in the 8th.

The teams return to the field tomorrow with Curt Young making his Phillies debut.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-09-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Curt Young Has Rough Start to Phillies Career

April 5, 1989

CHICAGO, IL – The second game of the season ended much like the first for the Phillies. Curt Young looked strong in the early goings but a 7 run 4th inning by the Cubs was enough to push Chicago past Philadelphia.

The Phillies put up a fight though, thanks to a pair of home runs from Von Hayes, a solo shot by Dickie Thon and a two run single by Tommy Herr. All in all, Philadelphia put up 6 runs against Chicago but at the end of the day, it was not enough. The Cubs walked away with a 10-6 victory.

Jeff Parrett also made his first appearance for the Phillies. He gave up one run a two hits in two innings while striking out 5 cubs hitters. Young’s record falls to 0-1, and the Phillies to 0-2. They finish the series tomorrow against Chicago with Mike Maddux taking the mound against Scott Sanderson.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #7
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Jeltz Unlikely Phillies Hero

April 6, 1989

CHICAGO, IL – Steve Jeltz is not known for his offensive prowess. The career .209 hitter recorded 3 hits, including a pair of doubles and knocked in 3 runs in his 3 at bats as he gave Mike Schmidt a day off. Felix Jose hit his first career major league home run, and Dickie Thon went 3 for 6 as Mike Maddux (1-0) recorded his first win of the season with the Phillies finishing the day on top 10-5. Greg Harris and Bobby Thigpen pitched a pair of innings each to finish up on Maddux’s five inning effort.

The Phillies sent all 9 batters to the plate in the second inning putting 5 runs across the plate after Andre Dawson hit a three run home run to open the scoring in the first inning. Those runs were enough of a start to keep the Phillies ahead and improve their record to 1-2 on the season.

The Phillies hopped a late afternoon flight back to Philadelphia and they will open their home season tomorrow night against the St. Louis Cardinals. Bruce Ruffin will get the home opener start for the Phillies.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #8
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Jeltz, Jose Lead Phils Past Cards

April 7, 1989

PHILADELPHIA, PA – September 23, 1984. That was the last time that Steve Jeltz hit a home run. . . until he stepped up to the plate in the bottom of the second inning in Friday night’s contest with the St. Louis Cardinals. With two on, Jeltz took a 2-1 pitch deep to left and over the fence for his first home run in four and a half years.

Felix Jose went 3 for 4 with 2 RBI and Ricky Jordan went 4 for 5 knocking in a run and scoring two of his own. An injured Bruce Ruffin, who is now listed day-to-day, left the game in the second inning giving way to Don Carmen who picked up his first win of the season. Virtually the entire Phillies bullpen closed out the last four innings to improve the Phillies’ record to 2-2 as the Phillies bested the Cardinals by a score of 10-3.

Both teams return to the astro turf of Veteran’s Stadium tomorrow as Floyd Youmans makes his Philadelphia debut.

Elsewhere, Larry McWilliams, who was traded to the Oakland Athletics during Spring Training saw his 1989 campaign come to an end. A torn rotator cuff will keep the 35 year old on the shelf for the next 12 months, and very well might put an end to his career.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-09-2019, 09:49 PM   #9
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Phillies Complete Sweep of Cardinals

April 9, 1989

PHILADELPHIA, PA – Home runs by Mike Schmidt and Darren Daulton were enough to power the Phillies past the Cards. Ken Howell and Jeff Parrett combined for a one hit 3-0 shutout with the starter striking out 9 in his 7 innings. Parrett collected his first save of the year.

“I felt good to put one out,” Schmidt said after the game, “it lets me know that even at 39 years old I still have some pop left in my bat.” Schmidt is batting .167 so far this season, collecting 2 hits in 12 trips to the plate. He has shared time at third with Steve Jeltz and Tommy Barrett this season, as the Phillies still do not have a replacement for the future Hall of Famer.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-09-2019, 09:49 PM   #10
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Phillies Collect Sixth Straight Win

April 11, 1989

PHILADELPHIA, PA – While some may tell fans to temper their expectations, fun baseball is just that, fun baseball. The Philadelphia Phillies extended their winning streak to six with a 6-4 victory over the Montreal Expos. Von Hayes left his imprint on the win. Hayes, who led the NL in doubles with 46 in 1986 was 3 for 4 which included the two run home run that put the Phillies ahead for good. Darren Daulton also had a strong game going 2 for 4 with a pair of doubles, the second of which tied the game at 4.

Mike Maddux pitched five innings walking 2 and striking out 1. Four pitchers finished the game for the Phillies with Todd Frohwirth (1-0) collecting the win and Steve Bedrosian chalking up his second save of the year.

The teams finish up their three game series tomorrow. Then, Thursday the Phillies will have their first day off of the 1989 season. With nine games under their belt at that point, we will take a closer look at the Phillies’ first ten days of the regular season.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #11
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

9 Games In, Phillies Start Strong

April 13, 1989

PHILADELPHIA, PA – Three series into the season, and things are looking pretty okay for the start of the season for the Philadelphia Phillies, even despite a 12-5 loss yesterday to the Montreal Expos. Their starting rotation has done an adequate job, regularly getting through six innings.

Ken Howell is 1-1 so far, recording 14 K’s in 13 innings. Curt Young rebounded nicely after a rough first start to win his second game.
The bullpen has looked even better though. Jeff Parrett has 10 K’s in his six innings. Only Rick Honeycutt has really struggled posting an 11.24 ERA in his four appearances. Steve Bedrosian has a pair of saves in his three appearances, and Bobby Thigpen has pitched three scoreless innings in his two games.

At the plate, by far the biggest surprise has been Felix Jose. The rookie outfielder has started all nine games. He has 2 HR and 7 RBI with a .333 average and .417 OBP. He has completely pushed Chris James out of the starting spot in left field. Right field might have been an option, but Ricky Jordan’s .360 average in his six starts has granted him more playing time at first base, moving Von Hayes back out to right field.

Hayes is hitting .333 with a .421 OBP with a team high three home runs. He is the one player in the Phillies’ lineup who has a guaranteed starting spot.

Dickie Thon and Tommy Herr have both played very well in the middle of the infield, but perhaps the biggest surprise has been Steve Jeltz. Not only did he hit his first home run in four and a half years but he has hit .455 in his 6 games, 4 of them starts while recording a .667 OBP. While those numbers probably are not sustainable for a guy like Jeltz, they are, none the less, impressive.

The most disappointing performance so far has been that of Juan Samuel. The 28 year old projected leadoff hitter is hitting just .107 so far this year with 0 HR and 3 RBI. He most certainly will find himself lower in the lineup in the near future.

Considering the overall performance of this team, here is the projected lineup for tomorrow’s game against the Chicago Cubs:

2B – Tommy Herr
RF – Von Hayes
LF – Felix Jose
1B – Ricky Jordan
SS – Dickie Thon
CF – Juan Samuel
C – Darren Daulton
3B – Mike Schmidt

Ken Howell will get the start tomorrow, taking on Greg Maddux in an opening day rematch.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #12
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Astros Shut Out Phillies

April 23, 1989

HOUSTON, TX – The Philadelphia Phillies had no answer today for Houston Astros pitcher Mike Scott. They failed to score a single run against him, losing 3-0. Philadelphia managed only 3 hits off Scott, ho had 12 strikeouts.

The extraordinarily popular Scott got a standing ovation from the hometown crowd as he left the field, the applause continuing until he returned from the dugout to tip his cap to the crowd.

“Astros fans are the best fans, in my opinion,” he said, “it’s a great feeling to throw a shutout under any circumstances but to do it with the crowd behind you like that is just incredible. So far this year, Scott has a 3-0 record with a 0.49 ERA.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-09-2019, 09:51 PM   #13
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Phillies Beat Houston on the Road

ACTUAL HEADLINE: Dodgers, Phillies Make Deal

April 23, 1989

PITTSBURGH, PA – Mike Schmidt has shown some pretty significant indications that he is slowing down. The Phillies have been searching for his replacement, as Tommy Bartlett has not contributed much of anything this season, and Steve Jeltz, while a serviceable sub, will probably never be a true every day starter in the Majors. Sunday afternoon, they made a trade that will give them a chance to at least audition a player.

The Phillies sent a minor league catcher to the Los Angeles Dodgers receiving 25 year old Jeff Hamilton in return. Hamilton is hitting .224 with 2 HR and 6 RBI in 18 games, 17 of them starts so far this season. The trade did not phase Schmidt at all. “I know I am at the tail end of my career. I have always, and will always be a Phillie. Right now, my focus is on doing what is best for this team and that is giving it my all on the field and helping Hamilton transition into his role.”

To make room for the new acquisition on the roster, the team waived and designated Tommy Barrett for assignment. Barrett was 0 for 12 so far this season in 7 games. The Phillies head to Houston for a three game set against the Astros. Hamilton will meet the team tomorrow in time to join them for the 7:05 start.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic

Last edited by AlpineSK; 04-09-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #14
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Phillies Beat Houston on the Road

April 26, 1989

HOUSTON, TX – The Philadelphia Phillies got off to a hot start but let their opponent back into the game late. After batting around and putting up a five run first inning, Philly had ballooned their lead to 8-0 before Houston started to chip away at eventual winner Mike Maddux (2-1). The struggling Felix Jose knocked in a run with a double, and recently acquired Jeff Hamilton took home the player of the game award after going 3 for 4 with a home run, a pair of doubles and two runs scored. Von Hayes added his team best fifth home run as well.

Houston made it a game, but Philadelphia eventually walked away with the 10-6 victory bringing their record back to an even 11-11. After a day off, Philadelphia will head to Cincinnati for a three game set against the first place Reds.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #15
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Monthly Team Report

May 1, 1989

NL EAST STANDINGS:

Montreal Expos 15-9
New York Mets 13-10 1.5 GB
Philadelphia Phillies 13-12 2.5 GB
Pittsburgh Pirates 12-12 3 GB
St. Louis Cardinals 9-15 6 GB
Chicago Cubs 8-16 7 GB

LINEUP:

2B Tommy Herr - .333; 0 HR; 7 RBI; .417 OBP
RF Von Hayes - .294; 7 HR; 12 RBI; .412 OBP; 16 Runs
SS Dickie Thon - .304; 3 HR; 12 RBI
1B Ricky Jordan - .247; 0 HR; 10 RBI
LF Felix Jose - .236; 2 HR; 10 RBI; 14 Runs
CF Juan Samuel - .212; 2 HR; 8 RBI; 10 SB
3B Jeff Hamilton - .233; 3 HR; 11 RBI
C Darren Daulton - .220; 2 HR; 8 RBI

BENCH:

C Steve Lake - .111; 0 HR; 1 RBI; 69% CS% in 9 games
IF/OF Kevin Miller - .200; 0 HR; 1 RBI in 16 Games
IF Steve Jeltz - .176; 1 HR; 7 RBI; 10 BB in 14 Games
3B Mike Schmidt - .114; 1 HR; 4 RBI in 18 games
OF Chris James - .200; 2 HR; 5 RBI in 17 Games

ROTATION:

RHP Ken Howell – 2-3; 1.95 ERA; 32 K’s 0.92 WHIP in 6 Starts
LHP Curt Young – 3-1; 4.35 ERA; 13 K’s 18 BB in 5 Starts
RHP Mike Maddux – 2-1; 3.30 ERA; 12 K’s 1.10 WHIP in 5 Starts
LHP Bruce Ruffin – 1-2; 3.28 ERA; 24 K’s in 5 Starts
RHP Floyd Youmans – 1-2; 2.22 ERA; 9 K’s in 4 Starts

BULLPEN:

RHP Greg Harris – 1-0; 5.11 ERA; 6 K’s in 9 Games
RHP Todd Frohwirth – 1-0; 2.35 ERA; 5 K’s; 0.91 WHIP; in 7 Games
LHP Don Carmen – 1-0; 4.38 ERA; 8 K’s in 7 Games
RHP Jeff Parrett – 1-0; 2.57 ERA; 17 K’s 0.86 WHIP; 2 Saves in 9 Games
LHP Rick Honeycutt – 0-3; 8.18 ERA; 6 K’s in 11 Games
RHP Bobby Thigpen – 0-0; 4.70 ERA; 4 K’s; 0.91 ERA; 1 Save in 7 Games
RHP Steve Bedrosian – 0-0; 2.25 ERA; 5 K’s; 5 Saves in 8 Games

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-14-2019, 01:57 AM   #16
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Red Hot Young Shuts Out Reds

May 6, 1989

CINCINNATI, OH - Coming into Saturday's contest with the Philadelphia Phillies, the Cincinnati Reds found themselves in a battle for the top of the NL West with the Padres and Giants. They had already beaten the Phillies soundly by a score of 10-2 in the first of their three game season. Saturday afternoon though, Curt Young, who was emerged as Philadelphia's best pitcher so far this season had other ideas.

Young, who was acquired from Oakland at the opening of Spring Training, is playing for a contract, whether in Philadelphia or somewhere else in the league. his 4-1 record coming into the game put him atop the wins leader board for the Phillies. Saturday would undeniably be his best game of the year.

Young went the distance to shut out the Reds while scattering three hits. He put his control problems aside for the night and struck out seven while walking just one Reds hitter, bringing his strikeout total to a higher number than his walks total for the first time this season. The complete game was the first of the season for a Phillies pitcher and it gave the team's bullpen a much needed and much deserved day off. They will get another one tomorrow as Philadelphia has a travel day back to the City of Brotherly Love before welcoming the Braves to town yet again.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #17
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Howell, Honeycutt, Bedrosian Combine for One Hit Shutout

May 11, 1989

PHILADELPHIA, PA - The hometown fans were treated to one heck of a game as their #1 starter Ken Howell (4-3) struck out seven, walked two and gave up just one hit in seven innings of work. Rick Honeycutt would pitch a perfect 8th and Steve Bedrosian would follow that up with a perfect inning of his own to complete the shutout of the Atlanta Braves by a score of 3-0.

The necessary scoring was provided by none other than Von Hayes who hit a two run home run in the first inning. The dinger was his team best ninth of the season. Leadoff hitter Tommy Herr singled in the other run. He later left the game with an undisclosed injury.

The win improved Philadelphia's record to 17-17. They wrap up their three game set with Atlanta tomorrow with Curt Young (5-1) taking the mound before the Dodgers come to Philadelphia for a weekend set.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #18
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Herr To Miss Two Weeks

May 12, 1989

PHILADELPHIA, PA - After suffering an injury at the plate last week, Tommy Herr finally received his injury diagnosis: an oblique strain. The injury will land him on the disabled list for two weeks. Herr has been having a great season for the Phillies, hitting .323 with a .393 OBP.

After Juan Samuel struggled in the leadoff spot through the opening week of the season, manager Nick Leyva decided to try Herr at the top of the order. Herr has made the most of the opportunity hitting .330 with a .404 OBP. He does not possess the speed that Samuel does but he has been a solid contact hitter and has scored 13 runs from the leadoff spot.

To fill Herr's spot on the roster, Tommy Barrett was recalled. It is anticipated that Juan Samuel will move back to second base while Herr is out, with Keith Miller moving in to take over the center field duties until everything is back to normal.

The 17-18 Phillies welcome the Los Angeles Dodgers to town for a weekend series. Mike Maddux (2-3), Floyd Youmans (1-3) and Bruce Ruffin (1-3) will pitch the three game set for the Phillies.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #19
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Hayes Recovery No Longer a Question

May 13, 1989

PHILADELPHIA, PA - Von Hayes missed much of July and August of the 1988 season with an injury. After finding himself in the running for the 1986 NL MVP award, there were questions as to whether or not he could regain his form. Hayes' start to this season leaves no doubt: there is plenty left in the tank.

At thirty years old, the Phillies have Hayes locked up through the 1994 season. That is a hefty investment for a rebuilding team to make. While splitting time between the outfield and first base, Hayes has done a stellar job of earning his money. So far this season, he is hitting .288 with 10 HR and 20 RBI. He has an OBP of .411 and a league best .995 OPS.

A look at Hayes' Spray Charts from the season reveals a hitter who has been able to do it all. While most of his power shots have been over the right field fence, Hayes has otherwise been a balanced hitter capable of hitting to all fields. He has also had success across the Phillies' lineup. He has split time hitting 2nd (.231, 4 HR, 7 RBI), 3rd (.200, 2 HR, 4 RBI), cleanup (.471, 3 HR, 5 RBI) and 5th (.346, 1 HR, 4 RBI). While he has had the least number of Plate Appearances there, it appears that the cleanup spot is the place for him to be.

Hayes finds himself in the middle of a Phillies lineup that includes Dickie Thon (.302, 4 HR, 19 RBI), the newly acquired Jeff Hamilton (.278, 4 HR, 12 RBI since joining Philadelphia), and a combination of Ricky Jordan (.258, 1 HR, 14 RBI), Felix Jose (.200, 3 HR, 12 RBI) and Chris James (.217, 4 HR, 10 RBI).

What this team is lacking is effectiveness at the top of the order. Currently, Tommy Herr, projected to be the team's #2 hitter, has been moved to the leadoff spot and has hit well there. Either they need to continue him in that role, or find someone more suitable, as Juan Samuel has been relegated to the bottom half of the order.

Time will tell as the season evolves what course the Phillies will take. One thing is for sure though: Von Hayes is back, and he has reestablished himself as the team's best hitter.
Attached Images

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 04-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #20
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Phillies, Angels Close Seven Player Deal

May 14, 1989

PHILADELPHIA, PA - The Phillies might have just found their #2 hitter. GM Scott Kier closed a blockbuster deal with the California Angels adding 26 year old first baseman Wally Joyner to the Philadelphia clubhouse. Joining Joyner on the trip across the country are prospects Dante Bichette and Mike Fetters as well as journeyman starting pitcher Terry Clark.

The Phillies will send top prospect Mickey Morandini and starting pitcher Bruce Ruffin to the Angels. Ruffin (1-4) gives the Angels, who are fighting for first place, another left handed option. It also gets Joyner's $700,000 contract off the books freeing up salary room for other potential deals. Rookie Jeff Manto will take over at first base. Morandini gives the team a much needed middle infield prospect with the ageing Johnny Ray at second base. Morandini will join the Edmonton Trappers of the Pacific Coast League at the AAA level.

Dante Bichette is capable of playing any outfield spot as well as the corner infield positions. After his acquisition, he was assigned to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre along with Fetters and Clark.

Wally Joyner is the centerpiece of this deal for Philadelphia. He is hitting .261 this season with 1 HR and 21 RBI. He will most likely start the season hitting 2nd for the Phillies. He spent most of the season hitting fifth for California.

Rookie Pat Combs was recalled from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He will now have a chance to fill Ruffin's vacated position in the Phillies' starting rotation. Tommy Barrett was demoted to make room for Combs.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic