Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
Hambil
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Can I assume logical results from personality and moral?

As a simple example or two:
Does bringing on a team captain mitigate outspoken or disruptive players or motivate unmotivated players?

If I send someone down to the minors I know they take a moral hit but if they are an unmotivated player do they become more motivated or just sink.

Or is it all just odds and you can make up your own stories?
Hambil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Obviously the personalities have some effect on gameplay, though I don't know how quantifiable it really is (kind of like real life!). However:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambil View Post
Or is it all just odds and you can make up your own stories?
I do this aaaaaalll the time. Had a pitcher in a past league who was a bit of a hothead and had a single news story about getting into an argument with a teammate. Over the next few years, in my head and in the running recap that I kept, that turned into a rivalry with said teammate, a giant ego, altercations with fans, and becoming generally disliked around the league.

Also had a backup player who hit about .220 but had a knack for driving in winning runs. After a few of those, he turned into a fan favorite folk hero, a la 2003 Kevin Millar, despite being pretty useless stats-wise.

Using a little bit of imagination can take this game to new heights.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

it's a cumulative effect of all the factors...

bringing a captain personality to your team would help in that he adds a positive effect, yes. can he match or more the negative effect of a "cancer"? no idea on the math.

there's an overall team chemisty rating.. 0-1000 or -1000-1000 whatever, doesn't matter. various thresholds equate to upset, content, happy, etc... things either add a point(s) or reduce it a point(s) incrementally -- whenever they choose to do it as time progresses. think it's every 1 week that ratings and such get updated?

anyway, so each incremental time period, it sums it all up and adds to current value.

what this means...

focus on rate of change. if you are trending upward, you have a net positive morale effect, at the moment... adding a positive effect may speed up the process of transitioning from unhappy to happy team chemistry, but isn't necessary.

so, if you see team chemistry generally increasing from opening day onward, i wouldn't worry too much about what you are adding, unless it's extremely slow or non-moving. then, i'd think twice of a malcontent addition.

regardless, talent trumps everythign, when it comes to MLB roster. if i have two options, i'm only choosing based on personality, because all other more important factors are fairly equal. just to put it into perspective... tie-breaker factor, not a major factor 99% of the time. you can likely win enough to overcome malcontent personalities, too.

the same with individual moral -- the basic concept above. incremental changes based on the factors ... microcosm withe inevitable overlap. role on team, wins, salary, etc. whatever is in the game and relevant could potentially be used.

side note: fyrestorm: keep sending that guy out there for important AB and he'll regress to his norm for sure. i think there may be something beyond personality but along those lines that causes players with similar ratings to have fairly drastically different yearly results. some guys are rocks, some guys are more volatile... i think it's something that varies this volatility per individual, but could be wrong.

the 'rocks' i mention rarely have huge peak years, either. the volatile guys are the ones more likely to reach a league record HR total etc. (speaking of a group of players at top -- 10-20+ batters per generation-type quality. not the peanut gallery)

Last edited by NoOne; 11-12-2018 at 02:41 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
side note: fyrestorm: keep sending that guy out there for important AB and he'll regress to his norm for sure. i think there may be something beyond personality but along those lines that causes players with similar ratings to have fairly drastically different yearly results. some guys are rocks, some guys are more volatile... i think it's something that varies this volatility per individual, but could be wrong.
Yes, of course, but the point was I've got a fictional baseball universe in my head where he was a superstar in fans' hearts for two seasons, despite the numbers. Making up the narrative is a key component to my enjoyment of the game.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote