Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

Old 08-25-2006, 12:14 AM   #41
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyan_cheena
Damn, just scrolling down that post made my head spin. Your dedication to your universe and the effort you put into it puts us all to shame, Chris. Great stuff.
Yeah, that's pretty mind-numbing to review. The point is that if someone really wanted to do a large universe, they could print this stuff out, follow along slowly and experiment until they found a good mix for what they want to do.

I used to use the scheduler in a much more complicated way where I divided the ranked fighters into four groups that could be sorted out through the filters and pitted these segments against each other; then I divided the young fighters up into those with 5 and less fights and those with 6-10 fights and pitted them against two different levels of competition that could be extracted with the scheduler. It all got to be way too much.

What I posted gets close to what I want and believe it or not is far more simplistic than what I was doing six months ago.

It should be pointed out though that you can do just about anything with the scheduler and if Andreas could just add a few more options that I have suggested (and very importantly - a template creator for the auto-scheduler that can be saved) we could all do wild things with it and never use a spreadsheet again.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:28 AM   #42
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Sidebar:

I am copying this from a recent thread posted at the Inside the Ropes section because it explains how I use the 2 levels of groups in combination with the grouping structure to afford three levels of distinct rankings that can be made simultaneously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another thread
By way of example, I'll use my World, EBF/NABF, Norse and Empire titles.

1) I have the following organizations which hand out belts (I have many more, but lets keep it simple.

REC (World Title)
AABU (Regional title)
APBC (Regional title)
EBF (Regional title)
NABF (Regional title)
SABC (Regional title)

NBF (Norse Boxing Federation)
BEB (British Empire Belt)

2) I have the following groups set up:

AABU (Africa)
APBC (Asian/Pacific)
EBF (European)
NABF (N. America)
SABC (S. America)

NBF
BEB

3) All fighters in the world are assigned to one of the main regional groups (AABU, APBC, EBF NABF, SABC) on the Group 1 line

4) I assign fighters to a sub-regional or national group on the Group 2 line.

So,

Ole Tandberg would be assigned to EBF as Group 1 and to NBF as group 2

Tommy Burns would be assigned to NABF as Group 1 and to BEB as Group 2

Kallie Knoetze would be assigned to AABU as Group 1 and to BEB as Group 2

When I look at at rankings:

REC (World): I select 'All' as the group. Burns, Knoetze and Tandberg could appear there.

NABF (N. America): I select 'NABF' as the group. Burns appears there, Knoetze and Tandberg do not

EBF (Europe): I select 'EBF' as the group. Tandberg appears there while Knoetze and Burns do not

Norse: I select 'NBF' as the group. Tandberg appears there while Knoetze and Burns do not.

British Empire: I select 'BEB' as the group. Burns and Knoetze appear there while Tandburg does not.

Basicaly, if you set up groups in just the right way, you can slice the universe up into three simultaneous ranking levels even though there are only two groups by using the 'All' groups selection as the top level.
Up Next:

3) International play
- World title fights
- Match-ups
Old 08-25-2006, 08:17 AM   #43
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

3) International play
- World title fights

In my universe, I designate March, June, September and December as International play months. These months serve the following purposes:

1) Afford World champions the opportunity to defends there titles
2) Afford the top fighters in the world an opportunity to face better opposition than they may have available within their region.

The only thing that I do not like about this is that it creates a forced feel to the timing of world title fights as they will always occur during the same months of the year. I may decide to change this at some point and use a form of random month selection at the beginning each new year to determine the international months for each year. The problem will be properly spacing the months because I would like to always have a maximum possible annual world title defense total of four. Perhaps I'll leave the number of possible annual defenses to chance as well. I just haven't given it a lot of thought yet.

The world title holders in my universe do not engage in any regional bouts while all the other titlists including the regional champs do. So, a world title holder will fight a maximum of four times per year. If he is a particularly good champ, this may extend the time line for which he remains at Prime.

The selection process is simple:

1) I use the random number generation site linked in the regional and minor title fight selection post above. I print a list of 17 random numbers with the low integer being 1 and the high being 100. The month before an International play month I apply these numbers to each division. A number of 50 or less indicates that the divisional world title holder will defend. This gives the world champs an average of two defenses per year.

2) The challenger is selected in the same manner that I choose regional title challengers. The number one world ranked fighter as of the end of regional play the month prior to the international play month in question gets the nod. The exception is if that number one was the challenger the last time the title was defended. If he lost by split or mixed decision or drew, he gets a re-match. If he lost by Unanimous decision, stoppage or DQ, the number two ranked fighter gets the nod and has the same criteria applied.

3) International play
- Match-ups

The other match-ups for international play months are determined as follows:

1) Print a world ranking sheet from the game:
----a. First click 'Options' in the lower right of start screen
----b. Be sure Min. number of bouts to get ranked is 20
----c. Click save
----d. From the start screen, click 'Organizations' in the lower left
----e. From the Org List tab, select the world title org. (REC in my case)
----f. Click Ranking tab
----g. Select the division on the left (SW in this example)
----h. Filter year (at top) can be left blank
----i. Group box is set to All
----j. Set the Max. Rank box in the lower left to 76
----k. Click the print button at the lower center of screen
----l. An I.E. box will open with the rankings. Print this to paper.

2) If no world title fight is scheduled, the match-ups will be as follows with the number representing the fighter ranking:

1v30
2v29
3v28
4v27
5v26
6v25
7v24
8v23
9v22
10v21
11v20
12v19
13v18
14v17
15v16
31v76
32v75
33v74
34v73
33v72
34v71
35v70
36v69
37v68
and so on

If there is a title fight scheduled then the match-ups are:

2v31
3v30
4v29
5v28
32v75
33v74
34v73
and so on (number 76 does not get a fight if there is a world title on the line)

The LHW and HW divisions have nearly double the fighters that the others do, so I use 101 rather than 76 for the rankings print run.

I load these matches into the scheduler with the exception of running a few separately that I may want to watch (and I watch all the HW international fights)

Setting the fights up in the scheduler:

1) Click scheduler button from the start screen
2)Click add button in the lower left corner
3)Find the number 1 fighter in the select fighter 1 drop down bar.
4)Find the number 30 fighter in the select fighter 2 drop down bar.
5) Click Fight options tab
6) Apply rule set - REC (see post above about creating rule sets)
7) Scoring system - 10 point
8) Number of rounds - 10
9) Two minute rounds - unchecked
10) Computer selects strategies for: - All four boxes checked
11) Fight date - Manually select. I start with the 1st day of the month in question (i.e. 1903-09-01) and change the date by one for each fight set up.
12) Venue - Random (A venue from one of the two
13) fighter's countries will be selected randomly)
14) All other boxes - Random (except judges bias
15) I select 'use bias rating')
16) Click 'apply' in lower right corner
17) Repeat 1-16 for each bout to be scheduled
18) Check save box for any bouts that you where you want the log saved
19) Click start and run the bouts.

Run the world title fight through the Start Fight tab on the start screen and the international play month for that division is over.

Up Next:

4) Introduction of rookies
- Selection
- fighter file export, import and set-up

*** Shameless plug***

I posted the latest issue of the Glasgow Picayune yesterday reporting on the latest month (July, 1903) of all this nonsense.

Last edited by CONN CHRIS; 08-25-2006 at 08:29 AM.
CONN CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #44
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

4) Introduction of rookies
- Selection

This is quite subjective as I run a mixed-era universe and have no hard and fast rules for who enters when. Also, I am still fleshing out what the 'right' number of active fighters is for me. I have imported 500 to 800 rookies in each of the past three years. For the upcoming year (1904) I plan to introduce 2 fighters per region per division for a total of 170 1904 rookies.

My plan for 1905 and beyond is to introduce 1 fighter per region per division each year for a total of 85 new fighters every year. This should offset the retirements but I am sure that I will be forever adjusting this.

I do try to keep the following guidelines / targets in mind as I select new fighters each year:

1) I want to work toward a balance of at least a 2:1 ratio to stiffs to real fighters and eventually a 3:1 ratio.

2) I want the overall balance of real fighters rated over 8, 4 to 7 and 3 and under to approximate a 15:50:35 ratio within each global division. This is a rough guess on my part that may need to be reassessed in the future.

3) I give no thought to balancing the talent from one region to another. The talent level between the five geographical regions that I use is vastly different in the real world depending upon the weight class. I try to balance in a global sense and the regional differences tend to fall in place as they naturally should.

- fighter file export, import and set-up

Once I go through the selection process, I move the fighters to a temporary database where I can work on them before moving them to my universe database. Briefly, here are the databases that I maintain:

1) Complete database:
This contains all the ratings that come from the Trunzos or users here on the board as they were created with no alteration

2) Rookie database:
This is an essentially blank database with one token file in it (see post 6, item 1A) It is used as a staging area.

3) Universe database:
This contains only my universe.

I back everything up fanatically.

Rookie transfer process:

1) From the start screen, click the 'fighters' button
2) check the 'select' box at the far left box for each of the fighters that you have selected to incorporate in the universe. (I generally do this one division at a time.
3) Go to menu, export selected. This will move the files to the exchange file within the Titlebout folder.
4) Leaving all the select boxes checked, go to Menu, Change Group and select 'Transfers', ok. I have a group in the complete database named 'Transfers'. I move fighter files to this group so that I can segregate them when searching for the next rookie class.
5) Repeat for all divisions.

Switch to the Rookie Database.

6) Go to Menu, import and surf to the exchange folder within the title bout folder.
7) Highlight all the files and click import
8) Each file needs to be 'dressed' as follows:
---a. Fighter Tab:
-----1. Career start date - enter the rookie year
-----2. Date of birth - I always randomly make them 18 to 21 years old when they enter
-----3. Corner men - If you assign these do so, or be sure to have generic selected
-----4. Era - set to Active
-----5. Career stage - set to beginner
-----6. I usually fix the skin color because I have the separate generic photos for each that someone posted a while back, but this is not otherwise relevant.
-----7. Auto-aging activated - check
-----8. Include in auto-scheduler - check
---b. Biography Tab - I double-check the Boxrec file. I try to alway look at the real fighters record prior to transfer after the great Lobster Hayashida incident.
---c. Ratings Tab - Be sure that 'C.S. Adjust' is checked
---d. History Tab - just be sure there is not stray data to delete before moving the file to your universe.

9) Once all files are 'dressed', delete the files in the exchange folder manually.
10) Click the 'select all' button from the fighters screen
11) Go to Menu, Export selected and put them all in the exchange folder
12) Close the rookie database, open your universe and import these rookies ready to go.
13) Delete the rookie database fighters from the exchange folder and the rookie database so everything is set for the next year.

Up Next:

5) Maintenance issues
- Performance points
- watching for stragglers
Old 08-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #45
mh2365
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (101)
I don't remember who it is and I don't want to guess but someone has an excel spreadsheet that picks the new fighters every year for him.
mh2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:16 PM   #46
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh2365
I don't remember who it is and I don't want to guess but someone has an excel spreadsheet that picks the new fighters every year for him.
That was Lee with his Random Chaos league. I toyed with using it (he did a great job with it) but ultimately wanted more control over the situation.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:12 PM   #47
Swimmer
Minors (Double A)

I tuned in to this thread late scoping out ideas for a large fictional universe I am developing. I love your ideas, and am going to steal many of them.

Anyway, earlier in the thread there was an exchange about name generation. I have developed a name generation spreadsheet for my universe, so I thought I would share it. It will generate realistic modern names for 220 countries. Hit F9 to generate new names.

I extracted the names from OOTP2006, giving credit where it is due.

I have posted it at http://home.comcast.net/~will.amos/NameGen.xls

Enjoy!

Last edited by Swimmer; 08-25-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:24 PM   #48
a87star
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer
I tuned in to this thread late scoping out ideas for a large fictional universe I am developing. I love your ideas, and am going to steal many of them.

Anyway, earlier in the thread there was an exchange about name generation. I have developed a name generation spreadsheet for my universe, so I thought I would share it. It will generate realistic modern names for 220 countries. Hit F9 to generate new names.

Enjoy!
I wanted to add this link here. It is a huge resource for getting names for virtually every country around the world:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names.htm
a87star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:27 AM   #49
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:

Enjoy!
Where were you six months ago when I was trying to name Fighters from Thailand and Malawi?

That looks like a great tool! Thank you and welcome to our little corner of the board.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:10 AM   #50
Swimmer
Minors (Double A)

It's part of a bigger project to develop a spreadsheet that realistically generates fictional fighters. I'll be posting that whenever I get it developed and tested.

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 08-26-2006, 01:18 AM   #51
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's part of a bigger project to develop a spreadsheet that realistically generates fictional fighters. I'll be posting that whenever I get it developed and tested.

Thanks for the welcome!
How does it work? That looks like a huge effort to have created.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:33 AM   #52
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

One last post on this for me (unless questions come up) then I'll cobble this thing into a Word document and post that as well.

I'll wrap it up tomorrow. For anyone that is interested, Mike did a guide to setting up a universe a few weeks ago, Mark has at least one in document form posted at Cornerwork.com and Cube has one at his site (I believe). Hopefully we can get a few more of these from other folks.

Thanks for the comments and interest.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:38 PM   #53
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

Question re Post #43, Item 2

I agree this is very interesting stuff. Chris, I have just one question for you, regarding the list for the international matchups which starts with #1 ranked versus #30, etc. and pardon me if I misunderstood this, but can't it get kind of boring to have the #1 guy face the #30 guy all the time, wouldn't you want some of the top 10 guys to mix it up, etc., or perhaps this is covered with your title fights among the different regions. It just seems to me that seeing #1 go against #30 all the time is sort of like the first round of the NCAA hoops tournament where it is ALWAYS #1 versus #16, 2 versus 15, etc., unlike one of my favorite sports, tennis where you have only a certain number of seeded players and everyone else is a floater in the draw -- i.e. you are pretty much guaranteed exciting matchups right from the start as we hopefully will see starting off Monday day 1 of the US Open next week.

Of course, if you have 30 plus great fighters in each division, then I can see how all the international matches would be exciting, just wonder if you have considered some variation when you pair these guys up ...
JCWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:54 PM   #54
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWeb
I agree this is very interesting stuff. Chris, I have just one question for you, regarding the list for the international match ups which starts with #1 ranked versus #30, etc. and pardon me if I misunderstood this, but can't it get kind of boring to have the #1 guy face the #30 guy all the time, wouldn't you want some of the top 10 guys to mix it up, etc., or perhaps this is covered with your title fights among the different regions. It just seems to me that seeing #1 go against #30 all the time is sort of like the first round of the NCAA hoops tournament where it is ALWAYS #1 versus #16, 2 versus 15, etc., unlike one of my favorite sports, tennis where you have only a certain number of seeded players and everyone else is a floater in the draw -- i.e. you are pretty much guaranteed exciting match ups right from the start as we hopefully will see starting off Monday day 1 of the US Open next week.

Of course, if you have 30 plus great fighters in each division, then I can see how all the international matches would be exciting, just wonder if you have considered some variation when you pair these guys up ...
I had wanted to get better match ups during the international play, but found that with the depth that I wanted and the desire to use all 17 divisions it simply is too cumbersome.

I have done two things to correct this, one of which you hit on already:

1) I created a number of sub-regional and national titles where I can pick good match-ups. I still need to increase the number of sub-regional titles that span multiple regions to create more variety but am happy to-date.

2) More importantly, I am stocking the universe such that at least 1 through 75 in each division on a global basis will be top-notch fighters. This is still developing in my universe as the last three years of talent that has entered have not become ranked yet. I expect that within one year of game play, that 1/30 match-up may well be Ezzard Charles v. Max Baer. If it does not pan out the way I want, I may have to get more detailed in the fight making which may also necessitate divisional consolidation due to time constraints. The way I hope this will work is that in general all of the world top thirty will be of sufficient talent to create a somewhat level field 1 through 30 which will give me some movement in the rankings. If not, I'll change it.

This is an evolving system that is in constant need of refinement which is something that I was planning to mention in the final post.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:08 PM   #55
PublicEnemy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Chris, re post #42

What do you do for example with an English fighter who can be grouped in the BEB (Empire) and the EPA (England) groups?
He will have EBF as group 1, so how do you decide what group to put him in for group 2?
PublicEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #56
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy
Chris, re post #42

What do you do for example with an English fighter who can be grouped in the BEB (Empire) and the EPA (England) groups?
He will have EBF as group 1, so how do you decide what group to put him in for group 2?
BEB would be group two. I only set-up the broader belts as group 2 possibilities (South Seas, Empire, Asian, Norse, et cetera). I cannot get rankings for all titles, Just the world, regional and selected sub-regional. I decided which Sub-regional organizations to use as Group 2 items such that all countries in the world could logically belong to one of them.

It is not important to me anyway what the rankings might be for say the English fighters. I would choose the challenger for that belt based soley on a match-up that I want. I even go by the rule that fighters can challenge if they are visitors. Many National belts were held by foreigners earlier this century.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:59 PM   #57
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

I had another PM request for files so the following have been uploaded:

Cornermen.dat file
Referee.dat file
Judges.dat file

A few words of caution:

1) They may contain a bit of history that you would need to clear out
2) They contain a huge amount of added Judges, Cornermen and Refs. I made no attempt to rate there trainers and officials, all that I did was get the name and country right. The ratings are just based on a my distribution of 'talent' desires.

I also uploaded photo files for all three as well as the entire Royal Explorers Club data file if anyone wants to download it and look at it.

The downloads are available here.

I will toss the announcer dat and photo files up there tomorrow for what its worth.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:24 PM   #58
a87star
Hall Of Famer

Venue pictures

Chris do you use any pictures for the venues in your uni? Just curious.
a87star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #59
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a87star
Chris do you use any pictures for the venues in your uni? Just curious.
I do not
Old 08-27-2006, 10:31 PM   #60
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:

Enjoy!
Ok, I saved your great xls file but I can not get the generator page to generate names. hitting f9 just brings the lovely MS assistant out of its box.

I feel like a dunderhead, but could you give me a little more help with using it. This could be the answer to my stiff creation woes.