Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #21
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)

Is it possible to simply lock out the ability to edit players for a league.
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #22
SeaBear
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPinrose View Post
Is it possible to simply lock out the ability to edit players for a league.

That's actually a great and much simpler idea to this issue!
SeaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:54 PM   #23
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

It'd also be a good recruiting tool.

"xyz league recruiting. Edits locked."

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:58 PM   #24
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to know where lock the door and throw away the key is ever a good idea.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:39 PM   #25
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
I'd like to know where lock the door and throw away the key is ever a good idea.

Online leagues?
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #26
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the game gets run on 1 person's computer. data integrity isn't a problem. if they do any memory/file edits, it will stand out like a sore thumb.

it's got to be able to recognize corrupt or different data... as you submit your team back and it's different than the other 30 playes data on your team etc... if not, that's be a simple check. it has to do this, or it can't handle a basic potential problem of merging data once everone sends back their lineups and stuff for the week.

the only concern is your comissioner.

as long as it all gets merged back at one cetral location, the truth should out any nefarious ongoings -- unless they did it to all "30" submissions, so that it doesn't stand out.

nothing you can do with a corrupt comissioner, except look for a new league.

i'd avoid any leagues that the bulk is a RL clique. they are more likely to rationalize treating their friends differently than the rules allow. you don't give special treatment to random people as often, right?

one of the first fantasy football leagues i was in allowed a trade of kevin jones? (det rb, 1/2 year wonder) and some more trash for peyton manning.... the year he threw for ~50TD and 5k yards before anyone else matched it in the next few years. (brees / brady did it after). one team was out of the playoffs and wanted to trade manning to their "friend"..... never underestimate the shadiness of people... it's human nature to cheat and lie. you have to learn not to do these things and it isn't an easy task. most don't try at all in their formative years... then you get things like brexit and a wall, lol.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-19-2019 at 08:22 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #27
majesty95
All Star Starter

The league exports are only imports of that team into the basic game file. So if a commissioner edited their own team, it wouldn't be impacted by the imports. The would see the new ratings, etc when the download the new league file. However, they'd need to know to look for them.

I think ratings edits being locked makes some sense. I can see a need to edit them prior to the league starting though for various reasons if you want to make it more" realistic". Editing contracts would definitely need to be allowed. That would probably be the simplest solution and would let guys get out early if they noticed any shenanigans prior to the season starting.
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #28
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

And when there's a corrupted file there's no fix available, right?
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #29
stiffy
Minors (Single A)

Honestly, this is so incredibly needed. I don't get why OOTP doesn't seem to understand that online leagues are their path to increased sales. Make it easier for people to join/play in them (and not be cheated by them) and there will be a lot more casual fans that want to play. Not that many people are that interested in playing historical leagues against the AI, but I can bet almost everyone that buys MLB The Show (and a lot of baseball fans that don't even want to deal with "stick skills") would be interested in playing in online leagues against real people if it wasn't such a PIA.
stiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:48 PM   #30
majesty95
All Star Starter

I'm not sure its a path to additional revenue. Maybe. I dont have the metrics. But I know most console sports game are moving away from them. MLB The Sow completely did away with them. However, OOTP is a different animal. Its definitely a lot more fun with an online league but right now they're so hard to set up for the avg user its hard to gauge how popular they are. Its sounds like this is a tough thing to do too so... might be kinda stuck where we are
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:08 AM   #31
DP-420
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBear View Post
Not to oversimplify the development that goes into it, but I don't think it is as complex as you make it out to be. All in-game changes are submitted back to a server and updates are made to that player in the database. It shouldn't be a monumental effort to log that change out to a separate table in the database before the update is made. It shouldn't matter even if your database table is relational. The log entry can just be something as simple as having (ChangeSource, ChangeMade) field, with the ChangeMade field as a text blob containing a key value pair for the: Field, ValueBefore, ValueAfter.

ChangeSource | ChangeMade
IPAddress:98.xxx.xxx.xxx | {BatterPower,50,60}

I have the knowledge to be fairly confident in saying that this shouldn't be a big development effort. Now whether the OOTP sees enough value in furthering the online league experience to prioritize this is a separate matter.

Man, sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge with programming. I think at this point its probably something that needs to happen. And just to clarify, the original post was about a co-commissioner potentially cheating, not the actual commissioner. I think having a tool like this as a commissioner would be monumental and would ease the commissioners mind about whether he can trust his co-commish or not.

I know, dont let a guy be co-commish if you cant trust him. Thats just silly. Lots of people in this world who will be a yes man to your face and tell you what you want to hear, then go out and do exactly the opposite when your back is turned. Its just how some people are wired.

Seriously OOTP, listen to this dude, and impliment a system, of any kind. Most OOTP users I can assure you, have had doubts about a commissioner and potential cheating. This would just make the online experience (which for the most part is already a lot of fun and enjoyable) that much better with the confidence of knowing any time an edit is done, the entire league can tell.