Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:23 AM   #1
majesty95
All Star Starter

Team refuses to win

So I took over the Seattle Pilots prior to the 1969 expansion draft. I focused on your players with decent upside. Not a lot of salaries.

Year one we went 76-86 including starting 13-4. We eventually cooled off but had a respectable first season, the best among all expansion teams.

In the offseason I identified defense as being our biggest issue (we were last in just about every defensive metric) to help our young but promising pitching staff. I got a Gold Glove caliber shortstop in Rule 5 and moved a couple of outfielders around to spots they'd be more efficient in.

In season two we have gone from 12th to 6-8th in all of the key defensive categories but we've dropped a couple of spots in both hitting and pitching sitting near the bottom of the league. This has caused us to go 30-69 so far. Personally, it doesn't matter because we'll get a high draft pick and be able to build the farm. However, if I was playing on Challenge Mode or with firings turned off I know I'd be canned. I also think, in real life, both the fans and owners would be furious that we've gone so far backwards after a promising start.

So, my question is, why is this happening and how can I reverse it to feel like I'm not cheating by keeping my job.

My clubhouse just recently became unhappy with all of the losing. We held it off for awhile with two captains, three leaders and a spark plug. I only have one unmotivated player as a negative. Surely he isnt making that big of an impact?

My newly acquired first baseman brought in to hit cleanup got hurt so that has been a hit. My former shortstop who was my best hitter but terrible at fielding we moved to 3B and is better in the field but cant hit his weight all of the sudden. My SPs have been ok but my bullpen has been atrocious. Even worse than last year.

I have decent group of young players that will be either ready or hitting their prime in 2-3 seasons but outside of my top draft pick, nothing better than a 3-star. A. Did this team just drastically over perform last season. B. What can I do to theoretically "save" my job and not feel like I tanked this season. C. Shouldn't my leadership group have been better at staving this off?

Appreciate the comments in advance!
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
CBeisbol
Banned

A) Impossible for us to know. What was their Pythagorean record last year? What is it this year? How about your team WAR? Those will help you answer that question.

B) at 30 and 69 the season probably isn't salvageable. The best you can do is figure out what went wrong (see A) and get to fixing it for next year.

My guess based on the limited information that I have is that your team wasn't really a 76 win team last year and isn't really a 49 win team this year (based in true talent). More like a 63 win team that over performed and is now under performing.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I don't agree with your premise. I don't believe you'd be canned yet if you didn't check "can't be fired". I never check that box, routinely take over projects such as the 2019 Marlins and almost never get fired before I'm able to turn the team around. If you want to feel like you aren't "cheating" in order to remain the manager then unclick the box preventing you from being fired and see what happens. I doubt you'd be fired this quickly. Also, what are your owner goals. Completing some of those will help to keep your owner happy.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
majesty95
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
I don't agree with your premise. I don't believe you'd be canned yet if you didn't check "can't be fired". I never check that box, routinely take over projects such as the 2019 Marlins and almost never get fired before I'm able to turn the team around. If you want to feel like you aren't "cheating" in order to remain the manager then unclick the box preventing you from being fired and see what happens. I doubt you'd be fired this quickly. Also, what are your owner goals. Completing some of those will help to keep your owner happy.
I have owners goals off and last time I tried this with the Pilots in Challenge Mode I was fired before the end of my first season. I've had that experience a few times where I can never truly rebuild a team without being fired.

My owner expectation FWIW when I got canned was to remina respectable on the field
Old 12-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
majesty95
All Star Starter

My team WAR was 21.7 in 69 and 12.8 in 70.

Interestingly, I decided just to roll with it and when the draft pool was published on Sept 1 it was like the Expos, Royals and us were all in a dead heat to tank for the #1 pick (Schmidt, Brett and Rice). I, unfortunately, finished one game ahead of both the Expos and Royals. The Royals, fortunately, did not take Brett at #2 or #3 (comp pick) so I got him at 4. He's a few years away though.

I don't mind rebuilding. I just feel like, even in real life, the fans and ownership would have turned on me with such a drastic downward swing. Even though, long-term, I think we'll wind up competitive.
Attached Images
Old 12-15-2019, 12:36 AM   #6
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Well considering the real life Pilots only lasted 1 season, you're already outperforming.

You using re-calc or the development engine? The 70s era is fun to play. You can win with good contact and pitching. But then again that works in pretty much any era. The bullpen doesn't matter much cause starters go all day. But it's still pretty easy building a better pen than the AI. Only need 4 or 5 guys at most in the bullpen, use the extra roster spots for platoons. That can help a poor expansion team.

Last edited by Argonaut; 12-15-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:10 AM   #7
majesty95
All Star Starter

I’m using the dev engine only. Feel like recalc is cheating a little. I used to use it but tried dev only and it’s interesting to see the career arcs. Some of the starts that develop from scrubs do drive me nuts though.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #8
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

What I usually do if I feel the need to justify keeping a job in a sports sim longer than is realistic is say I'm owner and GM if it's a sim that doesn't give names to owners, or in the case of OOTP I say I'm the owner's nephew or friend's son or a part of the ownership team.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #9
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95 View Post
I’m using the dev engine only. Feel like recalc is cheating a little. I used to use it but tried dev only and it’s interesting to see the career arcs. Some of the starts that develop from scrubs do drive me nuts though.
First season using the dev engine I had a career minor leaguer IRL turn into an MVP winner with 10 WAR. Figured ehhh.. that's not really what I was looking for at the time. Next historical save I'll use the dev engine for something different though. I feel like re-calc isn't cheating if you give yourself some house rules.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:08 AM   #10
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
First season using the dev engine I had a career minor leaguer IRL turn into an MVP winner with 10 WAR. Figured ehhh.. that's not really what I was looking for at the time. Next historical save I'll use the dev engine for something different though. I feel like re-calc isn't cheating if you give yourself some house rules.
What sort of house rules do you use?
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote