Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #21
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
The worst team names I have seen in my fictional leagues are the Manhattan Terrors and Oklahoma City Bombers.

Very little offends me but even I had to change those.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #22
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaReynolds View Post
The first is an unsettling player nickname:

Attachment 345310

I've never seen this nickname come up before since I started with OOTP11. Not sure if I should laugh or be offended...
There's nothing even remotely funny about cancer. I've now joined the ranks of those who want to have the option to turn off nicknames.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #23
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
The worst team names I have seen in my fictional leagues are the Manhattan Terrors and Oklahoma City Bombers.

Very little offends me but even I had to change those.
One of the team nicknames I've seen for years in OOTP is "Nightriders." I always change it, even for single A or rookie league teams I never look at. For an American, especially a black American, that name brings to mind certain very unpleasant parts of our history.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Old 06-11-2014, 12:48 AM   #24
abefrohman
Major Leagues

I'm Buck Melanoma. Moley Russell's wart. Not her wart. Not her wart! I'm... I'm the wart. She's my tumor. My... my growth. My... uh, my pimple. I'm Uncle Wart. Just old Buck "Wart" Russell. That's what they call me, or Melanoma Head. They'll call me that. "Melanoma Head's coming."
Attached Images
abefrohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:51 AM   #25
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
One of the team nicknames I've seen for years in OOTP is "Nightriders." I always change it, even for single A or rookie league teams I never look at. For an American, especially a black American, that name brings to mind certain very unpleasant parts of our history.
It doesn't refer to that. It refers to The Night Riders of the Tobacco War.

History of the Tobacco War | Tobacco War Pilgrimage
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #26
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

No matter what it is actually supposed to refer to here, the term "night rider" has a very unique and unpleasant meaning to African-Americans.

@ Abe - I've added you to my "ignore" list. But I also pray that you or someone you love will never have personal experience with the disease you are joking about.

Last edited by Antonin; 06-11-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #27
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No matter what it is actually supposed to refer to here, the term "night rider" has a very unique and unpleasant meaning to African-Americans.
Actually what it refers to does matter; if it actually was racist in origin then it should be removed from the game. But it isn't, so it doesn't need to be.

But there's certainly nothing wrong with you removing it personally from your game if it bothers you. Personally I remove all the ethnic references - even things like Vikings - from the team nickname database, because I don't find them appropriate. It's your game, play it your way.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:46 PM   #28
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abefrohman View Post
I'm Buck Melanoma. Moley Russell's wart. Not her wart. Not her wart! I'm... I'm the wart. She's my tumor. My... my growth. My... uh, my pimple. I'm Uncle Wart. Just old Buck "Wart" Russell. That's what they call me, or Melanoma Head. They'll call me that. "Melanoma Head's coming."
My best friend died last year from brain cancer. Want to imagine how I felt when I read that?

Old 06-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #29
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

@ Abe - I've added you to my "ignore" list. But I also pray that you or someone you love will never have personal experience with the disease you are joking about.

You may as well put me on ignore as well. I make fun of all sorts of serious topics and the less whining I have to hear about it is gravy for me.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #30
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

@ Antonin: So you've never seen Uncle Buck before? Not really Candy's best, nor Culkin's, but it does exist outside of your vacuum

There are plenty of team names that someone may be offended by; just look at the whole Redskins debate. I was unaware of the history of Night Riders; When I hear that, I always think of a black Trans Am driven by a really bad actor.

I attended Eastern Michigan University a couple years after they changed their name. A few of the things I learned there: 1) Even if he's 6'8", skinny, wearing shorts, t-shirt, and sneakers, it is offensive to ask a black man if he plays basketball 2) People can be offended by anything. A faculty member who was a part of the name changing process recounted how they were going to call themselves the Rough Riders (because Theodore Roosevelt had a home in Ypsilanti). All systems were go, until a staff member complained that she was offended at the name, because Rough Riders are a type of Condom. The final result was EMU changed their name to the (generic) Eagles; a name that offended generations of alumni.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #31
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram2Whitaker View Post
@ Antonin: So you've never seen Uncle Buck before? Not really Candy's best, nor Culkin's, but it does exist outside of your vacuum

There are plenty of team names that someone may be offended by; just look at the whole Redskins debate. I was unaware of the history of Night Riders; When I hear that, I always think of a black Trans Am driven by a really bad actor.

I attended Eastern Michigan University a couple years after they changed their name. A few of the things I learned there: 1) Even if he's 6'8", skinny, wearing shorts, t-shirt, and sneakers, it is offensive to ask a black man if he plays basketball 2) People can be offended by anything. A faculty member who was a part of the name changing process recounted how they were going to call themselves the Rough Riders (because Theodore Roosevelt had a home in Ypsilanti). All systems were go, until a staff member complained that she was offended at the name, because Rough Riders are a type of Condom. The final result was EMU changed their name to the (generic) Eagles; a name that offended generations of alumni.
Just to add to the "anyone can be offended by anything" point, I worked at a newspaper where we were forbidden from referring to Randy Johnson as "The Big Unit." Our managing editor, a man, insisted (possibly correctly), that the nickname was a reference to a body part, and therefore it was offensive and inappropriate. Nevermind that ESPN referred to him by nickname more than by his own name.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #32
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Almost anything anyone writes has the potential to offend someone. That's no reason for everybody to fall silent, or for some subjects to never be mentioned again.

I found the brain tumor comments earlier in the thread to be personally painful and really tasteless, but that doesn't mean that the guy can't write them or something like them if he chooses to.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #33
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I found the brain tumor comments earlier in the thread to be personally painful and really tasteless, but that doesn't mean that the guy can't write them or something like them if he chooses to.
Completely agreed. If you have a problem with what someone writes on here being offensive, just block them. No need to broadcast it and make a big deal out of a stupid comment.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #34
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjh5165 View Post
Completely agreed. If you have a problem with what someone writes on here being offensive, just block them. No need to broadcast it and make a big deal out of a stupid comment.
I would caveat that response to say that it may be worth pointing out to the speaker what you found offensive about it, because some people legitimately might have no idea that they might be making an unfortunate reference. The speaker/poster can then decide what to do about it, but if nobody ever says anything, people are less aware of potential interpretations of their words.

There's a difference between being aware of potential interpretations and being too afraid to say anything of note for fear of offending others, IMO. The night riders would be a good example of this, I think. Nobody's advocating avoiding the use of the phrase entirely, but many people had no idea that there might be a potentially offensive historical reference involved. Now, people can make a somewhat informed decision as to whether or not they care about the reference. Personally, I hear the Knight Rider theme song in my head whenever I see that nickname, but that's just me.

I think there's also a difference between a painful reminder of a bad memory and something that is offensive, IMO, but there's room for interpretation all around.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #35
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
That's nothing. I had six Mexicans kids with the same first and last name in my high school.
It is common for Latino/Mexicano's to have a lot of common names. They end up with two first names and two last names, but usually decide which first name to use and only use the paternal last name if their parents are married. I might be wrong or way off.

We had four Julio Rodriguez's and two Sergio Alvarez's in my HS back from 1997-2001. None of em related, but my school population was 4,000.
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #36
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

so wait...The Wolf and Antonin have never seen Uncle Buck?!?!?! Geez, that is a classic, no matter how horrible the movie is. I swear, John Candy could have movies with horrible storylines but his humor and acting were amazing! That quote Abe posted, and the picture, is from the first five minutes of the movie.

Even though, my personal favorite Candy movie is "Who's Harry Crumb?"
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #37
eborix
Minors (Triple A)

I agree that having an option to turn off nicknames would be appropriate.

As to the rest of this thread...

You have every right to be offended, and I have every right to not care that you are offended.
eborix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #38
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborix View Post
I agree that having an option to turn off nicknames would be appropriate.

As to the rest of this thread...

You have every right to be offended, and I have every right to not care that you are offended.
You have the right to not care that I'm offended, and I have the right to not care that you don't care that I don't care that you don't care. Can we get back to talking about cocks now?
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #39
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack View Post
You have the right to not care that I'm offended, and I have the right to not care that you don't care that I don't care that you don't care. Can we get back to talking about cocks now?
I don't care.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:32 AM   #40
gbwitheyes
Minors (Triple A)

Have any of you been to one of the Mighty Cocks home games? I would like to know what their mascot wears?

Before any of you say it, we all know what the mascot would wear if it were raining.
gbwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote