Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #21
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

About a month into 1973 and all I can say is the OOTP Gods are not being nice to any of the aging superstars.

Hank Aaron .201 2 home runs 15 RBI. Braves are still batting him cleanup, but he is struggling.

Frank Robinson .206 3 home runs 10 RBI. Dodgers still batting him cleanup.

Roberto Clemente 13 for 26 with .500 but he's only started one game for the Pirates.

Willie Mays got hurt to start the 73 season so he's only played 7 games for the Giants. Hitting ..182 so far.

Al Kaline .198 2 home runs 7 RBI. Tigers batting him 2nd most games.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #22
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

07/10/1973 Hank Aaron hits his 700th home run.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #23
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Holy Cow! Cleveland takes the AL East by winning both games of a doubleheader from the Orioles on their final day of the season. Did not see this coming.
Me neither. I remember that pennant race very well. First time my Yankees were any good, largely due to Sparkey Lyle. Cleveland was the only team not in it. So fitting that they win in alternative universe.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #24
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

September 9th. Aaron has 707 home runs. Braves have played 145 games.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #25
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

The end of the 1973 is approaching.

Baltimore has the AL East all but clinched. 11 game lead over the Red Sox and Indians. Baltimore let Mike Cuellar go in the off season, but added Luis Tiant. Tiant is in the race for AL Cy Young.

The AL West is no where near decided as of yet. The Twins currently own a half game lead over the A's. The Royals are bouncing between 2 to 3 games back on a daily basis. The A's seemed to be in control of the division going into August, but the Twins had other plans. Rod Carew is on his way towards his second batting title in a row. The A's have 3 batters, Reggie Jackson, Joe Rudi and George Hendricks batting 3,4 and 5 in the lineup that look like sure bets for 100+ RBI. Reggie Jackson is tied with Baltimore's Davey Johnson for the home run lead with 34. Jackson had 34 home runs in 72 as well, enough to lead to lead the AL.

The NL East is close as well. The Mets are trying to win their second division title in a row, but the Pirates are on their heals 3 1/2 games back.
The Expos were in the race for a while as well, but like last year they faded as the summer progressed.

The Dodgers look like they will win the West again. They are 6 1/2 games ahead of the San Francisco Giants. The Reds lost Gary Nolan, Don Gullet and another starter(at work) to season ending injuries, leaving them Jack Billingham and a bunch of no names in their rotation.

My Tigers are dreadful. If it wasn't for the San Diego Padres, the Tigers would have the worst record in baseball. As expected the Tigers started a fire sale prior to the start of the 73 season and it continued through to the trade deadline. Between trades and waivers the Tigers no longer have Norm Cash, Dick McAuliffe, Jim Northrup, Mickey Stanley, Gates Brown and John Hiller on the roster. Thankfully they've held on to Al Kaline. Kaline is not having a good season, but may be able to still reach 3000 hits if he gets a full season of playing time in 74.

The Pirates turned Roberto Clemente into a Manny Mota, Gate Brown type pinch hitter this season. Clemente has started only a handful of games all season. Sadly Willie Mays fractured a knee cap early and that was it for his season. I think it will be interesting to see if Clemente and Mays return for 74. Personally, I have my doubts.

Last edited by David Watts; 04-16-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #26
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Hank Aaron wraps up the season with 29 home runs giving him 712 total. 2 to tie the Babe, 3 to become the all time leader.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #27
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Got a few game played this morning before heading to work.

Baltimore took game 1 of the LCS. Jim Palmer was lights out allowing only 1 unearned run. But, Grant Jackson took home the win going the last inning and 2/3rds. Boog Powell had a game winning single.

The second game went to the A's as Catfish Hunter pitched a complete game for the victory. Reggie Jackson hit a 3 run homer early in the contest and that proved all the A's would need.

The Dodgers took game 1 of the NL LCS. Tom Seaver and Don Sutton met in a rematch of last years LCS game 1. Sutton was on his game, but the Dodgers were able to get to Seaver allowing the Dodgers to cruise to victory.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #28
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Discovered something this morning that I think is so damn cool. So, I'm playing a playoff game and I get curious as to how Catfish Hunter fared in his 72 post season start. I go to his BNN page to look. I had no idea that OOTP was so deep that it actually imports his post season statistics for his entire career....by this I mean the years prior to when I started my OOTP league(1972), This rocks.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #29
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

A few posts above I said Rod Carew was headed for his second AL batting crown in a row. Well, I was wrong. Carew slumped to end the season and Bobby Murcer was on fire. Murcer ended the season as the AL batting champ.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #30
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Both league championship series went the full 5 games. The Oakland A's prevailed in the AL. The Dodgers in the NL. The World Series was rather anti climatic as the Dodger took the series in only 5 games. Two in a row for the Dodgers

It will be interesting to see if the Dodgers can make it 3 straight. I have to think the Reds will finally step up to the challenge and give the Dodgers some trouble, especially if their pitching staff can remain injury free.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #31
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Oh no!! As noted above Hank Aaron is right on the verge of becoming the all time home run king. 3 home runs will get him there. Started 1974 last night and Aaron is no longer in the Braves starting lineup. So far he has played in 7 games, starting 2. He's yet to hit a home run. This should be very interesting to watch unfold.

All three of the bigs, Clemente, Mays and Aaron are all bench players now. Clemente started a whopping 4 games over the course of the 1973 season.

Thinking some of this sitting on the roster and not playing stuff will go away when free agency begins.

Last edited by David Watts; 04-18-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #32
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Oh no!! As noted above Hank Aaron is right on the verge of becoming the all time home run king. 3 home runs will get him there. Started 1974 last night and Aaron is no longer in the Braves starting lineup. So far he has played in 7 games, starting 2. He's yet to hit a home run. This should be very interesting to watch unfold.

All three of the bigs, Clemente, Mays and Aaron are all bench players now. Clemente started a whopping 4 games over the course of the 1973 season.

Thinking some of this sitting on the roster and not playing stuff will go away when free agency begins.
Who is playing in Aaron's place? This is the difference in a computer game the team/owner would promoting the HR chase for the almighty $ that could be made
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #33
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
Who is playing in Aaron's place? This is the difference in a computer game the team/owner would promoting the HR chase for the almighty $ that could be made
I keep meaning to check that. I think the Braves outfield is Ralph Garr, Mike Lum and Jose Cardinal, but I'm at work and may be mistaken. Cardinal and Garr are for sure though.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #34
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Well even with limited playing time Hank Aaron is now the new home run king. Hank is starting off and on, probably every 4th or 5th game and getting quite a few pinch hit opportunities.

Aaron hit home run number 714 against the Houston Astros, Jim Crawford.

He hit number 715 in a game against the Pittsburgh Pirates. Dock Ellis had to honor of serving up the historic home run ball.

Aaron now has 4 home runs on the season and 716 total.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #35
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
I keep meaning to check that. I think the Braves outfield is Ralph Garr, Mike Lum and Jose Cardinal, but I'm at work and may be mistaken. Cardinal and Garr are for sure though.
Mike Lum, there's a guy who had career because he could play 1B and all 3 OF positions. If Dusty Baker is still there and the Braves added Cardenal that's a crowded OF for an about 40 yr old Aaron to crack.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #36
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

This is by far the longest I've ever played(start of 3rd season) using the real minors feature. At some point I need to dive into some of the happenings in the various minor leagues, but for now I'm just enjoying watching the ball players of my youth perform. I mainly wanted the minors for roster depth.

For the most part I'm not seeing a ton of minor league guys playing big roles as of now. I see some get promoted for a cup of coffee or to fill in, but for the most part they are not a huge factor. The one position that I do see a lot of them surface is catcher. I'm seeing a lot of catchers I never heard of. One thing that's cool is seeing guys debut prior to their real life debuts. Fred Lynn, Dave Parker, Chet Lemon are a few that have done so.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #37
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mike Lum, there's a guy who had career because he could play 1B and all 3 OF positions. If Dusty Baker is still there and the Braves added Cardenal that's a crowded OF for an about 40 yr old Aaron to crack.
Ugh, let me check when I get home and I will clear this up. For some reason, I think Baker may have been dealt to the Cubs. Aaron played in 112 games in 1974, so OOTP pretty much has him on pace for reality. The main issue is the fact that the game doesn't recognize the significance of 714, nor does it acknowledge the record in any way, shape or form. No news story for 714 or 715. So, that being the case, I don't see how the AI would even know to play Aaron like a real manager would. That beings said, I'm not sure if a game could even be programmed to deal with that type of thing. In some cases, I'm not even sure I would want it to.

Last edited by David Watts; 04-19-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #38
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okay, Braves outfield is Garr in left, Lum in center and Cardinal in Right. Cardinal came to the Braves from the Brave in a deal that sent Dusty Baker to the Cubs.