Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
Arsilan
Bat Boy

Explain Drafting/Development to me

Can someone explain in detail, other than drafting in the top 10, how do you know how and who to draft that may develop into a good player. IE. someone may have potentials of 2-3 on a scale of 10, then after 2-3 yrs in minors they explode into 7-8 potentials. I am not sure how to find these players or how to draft in lower rounds.

Futhermore, how do players develop, how and when to promote players? I generally let the AI take control of the minor leagues and when to promote etc because I don't have any idea. I can run the majors when I know for sure how to read how a player has developed but getting them to the point or drafting I don't understand.

Thanks in advance
Arsilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsilan View Post
Can someone explain in detail, other than drafting in the top 10, how do you know how and who to draft that may develop into a good player. IE. someone may have potentials of 2-3 on a scale of 10, then after 2-3 yrs in minors they explode into 7-8 potentials. I am not sure how to find these players or how to draft in lower rounds.

Futhermore, how do players develop, how and when to promote players? I generally let the AI take control of the minor leagues and when to promote etc because I don't have any idea. I can run the majors when I know for sure how to read how a player has developed but getting them to the point or drafting I don't understand.

Thanks in advance
It's not really a science to finding these players, It is a bit off luck but going after guys with high intelligence and work ethic will help (these ratings are not guaranteed a successful players though) Going after guys who are skilled at a couple ratings (or one) will put him closer to a big league player than a guy who really doesn't have a skill he is good at. For example, in the later rounds you may find a guy who rates of 2's and 3's everywhere but has like a 4 in contact and also have good speed. Hopefully that guy would get a few talent bumps to improve his hitting a bit and hopefully he could at least become a speedy 8-9 hitter who can bat at least .250

Also take advantage of using the new relative rating system. That can help you see the players who at least can be good in Rookie and Short season A ball while you hope he develops later on in his career. Players get talent bumps early in their career (I don't think I ever seen a player get talent bumps when they hit 26 years old) So drafting a guy who rates of all 2's compared to the Majors but have higher ratings compared to rookie ballers is a smart idea and puts you closer of drafting a useful player. Relative ratings could also help you in deciding who is ready for the next level or not.

Also to go back on the point of drafting players with high intelligence and work ethic, these guys also have a hand in inspiring teammates and help with their development. Its also important to not rush prospects.

I would say raise TCR a bit so late round gems become common in the game (as in real life) instead of having a few.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 06-07-2014 at 04:09 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Arsilan
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
It's not really a science to finding these players, It is a bit off luck but going after guys with high intelligence and work ethic will help (these ratings are not guaranteed a successful players though) Going after guys who are skilled at a couple ratings (or one) will put him closer to a big league player than a guy who really doesn't have a skill he is good at. For example, in the later rounds you may find a guy who rates of 2's and 3's everywhere but has like a 4 in contact and also have good speed. Hopefully that guy would get a few talent bumps to improve his hitting a bit and hopefully he could at least become a speedy 8-9 hitter who can bat at least .250

Also take advantage of using the new relative rating system. That can help you see the players who at least can be good in Rookie and Short season A ball while you hope he develops later on in his career. Players get talent bumps early in their career (I don't think I ever seen a player get talent bumps when they hit 26 years old) So drafting a guy who rates of all 2's compared to the Majors but have higher ratings compared to rookie ballers is a smart idea and puts you closer of drafting a useful player. Relative ratings could also help you in deciding who is ready for the next level or not.

Also to go back on the point of drafting players with high intelligence and work ethic, these guys also have a hand in inspiring teammates and help with their development. Its also important to not rush prospects.

I would say raise TCR a bit so late round gems become common in the game (as in real life) instead of having a few.
What is TCR? and how do i use the realtive rating system? Thanks for the info.
Arsilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

TCR = Talent Change Randomness, I think. It he higher it is, the more random development/drops. 0-200 scale and defaults at 100.
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
nebradska
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
(I don't think I ever seen a player get talent bumps when they hit 26 years old)
I have, but I wasn't playing with perfect scouting, so it could have just been that. I have seen a handful of players who spent their whole careers as AAAA players blossom in their late 20s/early 30s and have one or two successful major league seasons, though they don't tend to hang around long.
nebradska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Drafting pitchers

I tend to stock up on left hand pitchers in the later rounds as I generally want at least 1 left handed starter per level; i.e. A, AA, AAA, etc, plus 2 relievers. I focus on individual pitch potential followed by stuff and movement. I have seen control and stamina increase as the player develops but if he doesn't have the raw talent in skill I usually pass.

As mentioned above, sort by the individual ratings mostly ignoring overall when selecting past the 10th round. Always avoid low intelligence guys, they will just drive you crazy.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
MrDov
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
It's not really a science to finding these players, It is a bit off luck but going after guys with high intelligence and work ethic will help (these ratings are not guaranteed a successful players though)
I previously have used the actual ratings of players personalities when drafting, but have since decided it wasn't realistic enough to have different personality traits rated on a scale. Anyways, now I just look at the personality part of the scouting report, as is there a list of which ones are good or bad? I've seen some where it seems like they could go either way.
MrDov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
MarkVIIIMarc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Its kind of a roll if the dice. I pay dearly for my head scout and still use a mix of his recomendatioms and the OSA guesses.

For promotions I watch Wins Above Replacement ratings in the minors and stats. In my league's AAA it took me a good couple years to realize a 5 ERA was not terrible. For some rrason it is offense happy but the Wins Above Replacement seems like it might take that into account.

Generally in my Aand AA levels if a batter gets a year of a .300 average I promote him. One fella I liked I left in AAA and extra year to learn first base (and develop zome power). His BA was. 330 but he just was not a very good outfielder where I was stacked and I had a 10,000,000 a year 1Bman I wanted to let walk the next year.
MarkVIIIMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #9
MogulFiend13
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It is mostly random, somewhat depends on your coaches, player development budget, and the work ethic and intelligence of the player.

With that said though, I have a file where I manage everything except for playing out the games. From top to bottom, make lineups and depth charts of minor league rosters, promoting through the minor leagues, constantly shuffling through prospects. I found that promoting them when you feel the time is right helps and can really help you develop ways to look at the players and figure out which are going to be good players.

I also look for certain things when deciding to develop them. If they are pitchers and have a good control potential and have a couple pitches, at least one with good potential you can sometimes develop them. For hitters, if they have a good eye potential, they have a chance to develop into a league average player, even with half a star.
MogulFiend13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

In the first two rounds, I get the Best overall player possible that has normal or above IQ and work ethic (bonus if they have normal and below greed)

After that, it's high contact/High Avoid Ks/High Gap Power guys that can play defense or Pitchers with high control>>movement>>stuff

This is OOTP Moneyball as AI and Online Gms usually go for HR Power and Walks and Stuff

For my minors I will fill them and when a guy is ready for promotion, I will cut one of the fillers at his spot to make room at the next level

In my Online leagues I rarely pay attention to the big league level and get all my enjoyment from tinkering with the minors.
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
sabrtoothtiger
Minors (Double A)

First couple rounds I either go high ceiling or guys I can fast track to majors (Developed RP and guys with phenomenal defence). I like to roll the dice on high ceiling HS guys in middle rounds and after about round 10 it's all about filling out my minor league rosters with guys who have at least 1 project able skill.

I usually overdraft up the middle players who project to stay there and hit.
I overdraft Hard throwers with at least 1 60 pitch and some decent secondary offerings.
I also rarely invest a top 3 round pick in a guy who doesn't have a great makeup.

Last edited by sabrtoothtiger; 06-09-2014 at 11:22 AM.
sabrtoothtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #12
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

what do u mean by high ceiling?
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
MogulFiend13
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres2000 View Post
what do u mean by high ceiling?
I would guess that he means high overall potential. In some cases it is when they have certain indicators such as a high potential in certain categories.
MogulFiend13 is offline   Reply With Quote