Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 02-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Banedor
Bat Boy

Planning your Team

Was curious if anyone used excel documents or how you planned the future of your team? Just one of those where you know this coming draft you need a future 1B star and perhaps a 2B or how you orgainze your depth and know what to target in FA/Draft/Trades.

I ask because I just took over a team in an online league and its frustratng trying to figure things out and than overnight I forget some of my plans because I'm not very good at thinking of a way to document ideas and was curious if anyone cared enough to share their ways.
Banedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
craftdr
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banedor View Post
Was curious if anyone used excel documents or how you planned the future of your team? Just one of those where you know this coming draft you need a future 1B star and perhaps a 2B or how you orgainze your depth and know what to target in FA/Draft/Trades.

I ask because I just took over a team in an online league and its frustratng trying to figure things out and than overnight I forget some of my plans because I'm not very good at thinking of a way to document ideas and was curious if anyone cared enough to share their ways.
I used spreadsheets for awhile but I found them to be kind of tedious. I now use the manager notes screen if I have a thought or if I want to keep track of particular players. If you create the note in the player screen, it will take you to the profile page by just clicking on a button. I also found the reminder function handy if I want to check back on something at certain times.

I usually create a note about my 1st & 2nd round picks, whether I'm thin at a certain postion, or players I may want to trade or trade for. Eliminates toggling back & forth between the game and a spreadsheet.
craftdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
RamMan12
Major Leagues

I definitely use a spreadsheet for everything in my league. For me it's easier to visualize needs, etc. on the spreadsheet and I make many lists and reorder things as necessary. Plus, it's possible to look at the information you have even when the game isn't running.
RamMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
RamMan12
Major Leagues

Here you go.
Attached Files
File Type: xls pirates outlook.xls (31.0 KB, 319 views)
RamMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Ambermonk
All Star Starter

I use spreadsheets (and Word docs) extensively in OOTP. It's especially important for the annual draft, but I also use spreadsheets for draft day, monthly minor league evaluation, EOY stats, trades, etc. I use Word docs to document game-day highlights as well.

Here's an important thread (with examples) about using spreadsheets for the annual draft...

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-approach.html

Also, an important aspect of using spreadsheets is to create the correct statistical 'views' inside of OOTP. If you don't have the most useful data, a spreadsheet won't help much.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
sosasoser
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I don't have much of a need for detailed spreadsheets. In the annual draft, I always draft the best player available. I would never say, "I need a good 1st baseman." Whoever I draft might not ever reach their potential or it might take so long that my team needs have drastically changed. If I end up with multiple great prospects at more than one position, then just means I have great trade bait I can use to fill immediate needs.

I only draft the first few rounds though as I found it too easy to beat the AI by out picking them in the other rounds. I just let the scouting director make my later picks. If you are drafting all the rounds, a spreadsheet helps tremendously.

For other types of notes, I use a desktop note app.
sosasoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Grumpy
Minors (Single A)

What are the steps for exporting all players into excel? I have 521 pages with about 13 players per page
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
beorn
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
What are the steps for exporting all players into excel? I have 521 pages with about 13 players per page
Yes, the pages are a frustration.

You can take any one page, however long, and open it in your browser. From there, you can copy and paste into Excel. (I find I have to do an in-between step of copying and pasting from the browser into a text editor, and then copy and paste into Excel.)

If all the players are on one page, this is quick and smooth. When the list is so long that it extends many pages, it gets pretty tedious. I usually do a filter to shorten the list. Since I won't draft pitchers with low movement potential or hitters with poor movement potential, I can cut the size of the list by two thirds. But 521 pages??? ouch!

Last edited by beorn; 02-25-2012 at 04:37 PM.
beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Grumpy
Minors (Single A)

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
Ambermonk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I usually create my spreadsheets with the 20 most desirable players at each position. This is usually more than enough.

On my draft-day spreadsheet I list the 40 top players in the draft (40 batters and 40 Pitchers) and the 3 top players at each position. I also trade players for future draft picks.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
Grumpy
Minors (Single A)

Thanks Ambermonk for the tips and the inagural draft link.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
Banedor
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambermonk View Post
I use spreadsheets (and Word docs) extensively in OOTP. It's especially important for the annual draft, but I also use spreadsheets for draft day, monthly minor league evaluation, EOY stats, trades, etc. I use Word docs to document game-day highlights as well.

Here's an important thread (with examples) about using spreadsheets for the annual draft...

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-approach.html

Also, an important aspect of using spreadsheets is to create the correct statistical 'views' inside of OOTP. If you don't have the most useful data, a spreadsheet won't help much.
That spreadsheet is amazing looking, I hope I can create something similar, but that is what I'm looking for or looking for examples of. You are a hero.
Banedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #13
Ambermonk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banedor View Post
That spreadsheet is amazing looking, I hope I can create something similar, but that is what I'm looking for or looking for examples of. You are a hero.
Note that there are 4 or 5 different spreadsheets that I have created, and many are integrally linked to the roster view. I have about 16 custom-designed roster views so that I can get the information that I need. This helps understand what players to draft. My current Single-A team has a record of 60-19, so it seems to be working.

Pay attention to the column headings in my examples to get an idea how to custom design your roster views!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

I use Excel. And am extraordinarily anal about it.

Depth Chart: used to manage team
Attached Files
File Type: xls 2012 DepthChart.xls (344.5 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by Rizon; 03-01-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Team Previews, all
Attached Files
File Type: xls 2012 Team Previews.xls (324.5 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by Rizon; 03-01-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Team previews, detail by team (just NL)

Edit: fixed
Attached Files
File Type: xls 2012 Team Previews NL.xls (624.5 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Rizon; 03-01-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #17
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Draft and FA
Attached Files
File Type: xls 2012 Draft.xls (391.0 KB, 132 views)
File Type: xls 2012 Free Agents.xls (424.5 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Rizon; 03-01-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Salary management
Attached Files
File Type: xls 2012 Salaries.xls (23.0 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by Rizon; 03-01-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

I've tinkered with how to rank each stat/rating for years and years and years, and kind of just got tired of re-evaluating them and just went with something kind of basic.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #20
draven
Minors (Single A)

Rizon, these are fantastic and thank you for sharing these. on your depth chart sheet, what is the column with the +,-,x its right before before the players experience
draven is offline   Reply With Quote