Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:08 AM   #81
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pommpie View Post
It's interesting to me that, before SEGA grabbed Sports Interactive, there was a lot of enthusiasm for new and exciting sports in the SI stable (Riz coming over to do NHL: EHM, OOTP, and I remember a seemingly well-founded rumour that they were talking to the Front Office Football people). Then SEGA takes over, and NHL: EHM promptly takes the pipe because of "piracy", and now OOTP and SI have amicably parted company.

I have no doubt in the least that the guys at SI did everything they humanly could to make OOTP a success while it was under their roof, and I know that Duffy and the crew are all ace, but I can't help but wonder whether the corporate overlords were basically buying FM and looking to cut out the rest of the chaff...
That's not the case. The reason why we joined SI was to a) learn a lot and b) get the game into stores with proper MLB licensing. However, Take 2 then purchsed the exclusive license, so b) could not work. What was left was the situation we had for years before, OOTP being sold purely online. So nothing much changed really, so we & SI figured in the end we'd be better off doing this ourselves again
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #82
Pommpie
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
That's not the case. The reason why we joined SI was to a) learn a lot and b) get the game into stores with proper MLB licensing. However, Take 2 then purchsed the exclusive license, so b) could not work. What was left was the situation we had for years before, OOTP being sold purely online. So nothing much changed really, so we & SI figured in the end we'd be better off doing this ourselves again
Thanks for the answer, obviously, Markus. I suspect that I'm partially just bitter at SEGA for... well, everything related to NHL: EHM and OOTP, two of my favourite games in the universe. Is it showing? :P
Pommpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:26 AM   #83
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Well, we will probably not get a MLB license because it comes with too many restrictions. However, I am 99% sure that we will ship with real player names next year, as MLBPA lost a recent lawsuit that basically allows us to do this
Yes but as you probably know, they (MLB) appealed.

Gerry
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:52 AM   #84
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry58 View Post
Yes but as you probably know, they (MLB) appealed.

Gerry
They'll lose
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:49 AM   #85
Melo
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
The one thing that concerns me is that Marc did a really good job these past 2 years in running interference for Markus and Andreas. Is there any way the company can hire somebody, or heck even have a volunteer, out there to handle PR? It would be a thankless job, but - and please don't take this the wrong way, OOTP team - it seems like the gang is more productive when they can concentrate on coding and testing that code and let someone else coordinate all the mad action (especially TRTR, which has been wildly successful IMO and should really be continued).

Kuffles
Melo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #86
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
They'll lose
I really hope so

Gerry
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #87
Siv
Major Leagues

All I can say is I hope the game continues it's great progress. I have been playing since OOTP4 and have enjoyed it all these years. I feel the last installment brought the greatest value to me.

So all is well, except the Twins flopped this year.
Siv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #88
Boom Boom
Major Leagues

a lot of people here on the ootp forums thought that BM was breaking the law by having real players in there games...but the Clay had an Attorney look into the legality of it. After his findings, he put Lahman in bm2k4-5...

I would love ootp to have built in rosters, that itself would make me a buyer. I love historical rosters, and having easy access to them, (not having to do the research yourself makes it an easier feature)
Boom Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #89
Nukester
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
a lot of people here on the ootp forums thought that BM was breaking the law by having real players in there games...but the Clay had an Attorney look into the legality of it. After his findings, he put Lahman in bm2k4-5...

I would love ootp to have built in rosters, that itself would make me a buyer. I love historical rosters, and having easy access to them, (not having to do the research yourself makes it an easier feature)
Personally I prefer the database to stay seperate, unless it can be built-in and still give us the option of editing it. Im not sure about BM, but I know with PureSim, the database is built-in, but it can not be edited
Nukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #90
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Smart move Markus.

You will cash in more money this way and rightfully so.

And you will also make ALL the decisions. Nothing like being the top boss.

I noticed that we had a lot less patches with SI.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:08 PM   #91
Boom Boom
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukester View Post
Personally I prefer the database to stay seperate, unless it can be built-in and still give us the option of editing it. Im not sure about BM, but I know with PureSim, the database is built-in, but it can not be edited
I am pretty sure you would still beable to edit it. In BM you can, you just work on the lahman files in the SM folder.

You can even make an all-time roster with using different players from different eras.

There are a lot of possiblitity with having an internal database. IT would load a whole lot quicker
Old 09-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #92
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Also, if I'm not mistaken, BM pays the Lahman folks for including their database in the game. For those who wish to edit it, it merely installs to a Lahman folder with all of the original Lahman files in csv format. It's not hard coded in game.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #93
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You can even make an all-time roster with using different players from different eras.

There are a lot of possiblitity with having an internal database. IT would load a whole lot quicker
you can do that now with OOTP. There is no advantage to having an internal database IMO...
Old 09-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #94
Boom Boom
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
you can do that now with OOTP. There is no advantage to having an internal database IMO...
the only advantage if coded right, it would load faster. That itself would make this game awesome.

In past versions, I have waited 30 minutes for it to load the lahman database...

after ootp5, i stopped using the database cause I didn't want to waste an hour setting up a game...instead i just used fictional players....
Old 09-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #95
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Nothing much to add, except that I'm happy that this game will not have the same fate of NHL : EM. Just discover OOTP this year (very late to the game), but I have an excuse : I'm a hockey fan and we don't receive much baseball coverage since the Expos are gone.

I will certainly buy the next year version, since you hook me
AESP_pres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #96
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Finally, we will also be sending out a mass e-mail newsletter tomorrow, that will have some additional interesting news! We'll post it here on the forums, as well.

Has this not been sent, yet, or did I just miss it?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #97
Bears5122
All Star Reserve

Here's hoping that the game goes back to its roots in the mold of 6.5. While I'm sure a couple people like the universe aspect, it just got too time consuming. A good percent of the dedicated base stuck with 6.5 while others tried to make the new versions playable.
Bears5122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #98
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neags23 View Post
Has this not been sent, yet, or did I just miss it?
I didn't either, but I didn't download the game either, I was thinking that was why. (Dial-up, so I purchased the disc and it was mailed to me). Guess its not out yet huh??
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:27 PM   #99
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
I noticed that we had a lot less patches with SI.
On average, prior to the SI merger, we had 2 - 3 patches per version. With SI, we've had 2 - 3 patches per version.

No difference.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #100
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
the only advantage if coded right, it would load faster. That itself would make this game awesome.

In past versions, I have waited 30 minutes for it to load the lahman database...
The fact that it loads slow for you has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with the system running it. I have a pretty fast system and can load from Lahman in minutes. Bottom line is, it takes time to process data.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote