Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:29 AM   #21
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

It's Deja Vu All Over Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
No doubt about it now. I'm definitely getting me some bullpen upgrades. We were 20-2 with the best record in the league. Then the Singapore Sluggers came to the Evergreen Forest. They took the 1st game 6-5 in 10 innings, with Eck blowing that one. Then we lost 9-7 in 10 innings with the whole bullpen (well, only 3 guys) helping lose that one. You know, I'm starting to understand why the Red Raiders feel so fondly about those Sluggers now.
So, yeah, that just about sums up what happens every time Singapore and Huntley clash...

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:36 AM   #22
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

The freshly unperfected Raccoons had a 10-game winning streak in April! … They are 15-11.

The Rebels further down in Gold had NO 10-game winning streak… They are still 15-11.

...and the Accountants had 11 hits in their final game of the month, but were stuffed for 10 runs and when the Union Bulldogs (8-18) left the field as winners, both teams had 15 wins between them.

Uck.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:50 AM   #23
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23 View Post
And the La Crosse Fighting Frogs...why does that team name ring a bell? It couldn't be because they upset Huntley 4-2 in the 2032 Perfect League Series to win their first Perfect League championship, could it? Or is it because they are run by someone who was once labeled as one of the best managers in all of Perfect Team by some message board crackpot? Nah, that can't be right...
But, it's true. 4 out of 5 dentists would agree that I am one of the better managers in P454 this week with a team nickname "Frogs." Definitely in the top 10 in that category. Even the perpetually disagreeable 5th dentist might grudgingly agree there.

I try to be modest about these things, but then you go pointing them out.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:39 AM   #24
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
The Frogs are in P454 this week (wow, these league designation numbers are getting up there, eh?) and this league is an interesting league that is full of familiar teams. It should also be quite challenging.

In the AC East, we have a couple of solid teams (Texas Padres and Belfast Dodgers) that have yet to break through for a PL medallion even though they regularly win 100+ games. The Belfast Dodgers have been especially hard luck as they've made the PL playoffs every year since 2023 (save for 3 times) and have zero titles to show for it.

In the AC Central, the uber teams Austin Express and RealMadrid El Blanco both have 3 PL titles and look to beat each other senseless.

The AC West will be dominated by the Manhattan Momos. The Momos are a new-ish team (est. 2038) that has raced up to Perfect, but has yet to break through for the medallion despite winning at least 115 games in each of 4 seasons in Perfect. This team has some funky stuff going on with the pitching staff with Eric Gagne on a 9-pitch limit in the rotation and Seaver and Grove on strange, short leashes--makes me wonder if this is one of the guys going for the pitching wins record.

Over in the NC...

The Saint Paul Fighting Saints (4 PL medallions) appear to be the class of the NC East. But, the Arkport Wolves and Kansas Champs also have one PL medallion each. Note: does it bother anyone else when a team name starts with a space? Anyone else notice the extra space? Just me? Because it's the Kansas _Champs.

In the NC Central, the Carmel-By-The-Sea Otters (2 PL titles) and the Kyary Pamyupamyurin (1 PL title, apologies if this team name is a curse word in Thai or something) should be strong competitors. I've been in the same league as Carmel a few times now and I'm not sure I've seen a team so derived from collections as this one--I count 13 players being collection players, and all of the best ones at that.

And then there's the NC West. We have a trio of familiar sounding teams--the La Crosse Fighting Frogs (yours truly, 2 PL titles), the Huntley Red Raiders (4 PL titles, no Singapore Sluggers in sight), and the Excelsior Dodgers. Not sure what it is with "Dodgers," but this Excelsior version is like the Belfast version in the other league in that they've made the playoffs a bunch (19 times) and have yet to win it all. Kinda reminds me of when Scotty disabled the trans-warp drive so that smug starfleet captain couldn't keep up with the Enterprise. Anyhow, the Frogs/Red Raiders/Dodgers should make for an uber competitive division so the Midland Rockhounds and Oklahoma City Bombers (really? really chose that for your team name? not New York City Truthers or something?) might want to check in next week to avoid the carnage that's coming to them by facing this trio 57 times a piece. And the Momos in interleague play. And St. Paul, Carmel, and Kyary for home-and-away series.
Yes, they are...but competition doesn't seem to be getting much watered down, league you're in looks plenty talented. Lots of very good teams, even some of the mediocre ones are looking very good.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #25
Thornbreaker
Minors (Double A)

Amazingly, the Gorillas are off to a hot start in Diamond, while I managed to pick up over 7k in pp yesterday on the Bakery thanks to a "natural cycle" from lonnie smith.

Now what to do with 48k in pp on the Bakery/Braves. How's that 96 Glavine or 95 Maddux?

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #26
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Of my three focus teams, only one is not in last place in their division after the first month of the season.

Surprisingly, it's the Redlegs, who are in 2nd place, four games above .500 so far. It appears to be a pretty fair Perfect League.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #27
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Vikings pillaging the heck out of P435 at 28-2. I'm not a whale, I swear. Kershaw was POTM for April, sitting at a modest ERA+ of 1161.
Attached Images
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #28
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

No, you're a pillagers!

That's as well as I've seen that card do, because I am all about Kershaw (or at least all for him) but stayed away from him, then again I was mostly looking at his live card which I used a bit, & ...well, he is getting a little old, never did very well for me even when he was a live diamond at 95+.

Are there more than one Kershaw historics, though? Hmm...

Old 10-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #29
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
No, you're a pillagers!

That's as well as I've seen that card do, because I am all about Kershaw (or at least all for him) but stayed away from him, then again I was mostly looking at his live card which I used a bit, & ...well, he is getting a little old, never did very well for me even when he was a live diamond at 95+.

Are there more than one Kershaw historics, though? Hmm...
There's another Diamond Kershaw that has less Control but is otherwise almost identical. I think there might be a low-Diamond Kershaw too. This 99 card hasn't really lived up to its ratings in the past and I was thinking about selling him, but I'm enjoying him this season for sure. The random Perfect Leagues are getting pretty watered down though.

There might be a Perfect PEAK Kershaw in a Dodgers collection to come, who knows? He had a few great seasons, it would be interesting to sample from them all.

Last edited by Argonaut; 10-08-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:32 PM   #30
sharknut
All Star Reserve

My Chiles are in 2nd place 6 games behind Argonaut's Green Lake Cowboys. The team is doing better than I expected again this year. The opposite of last year, my team is outperforming their raw numbers. 22-19 so far, but 15-26 is what i should be.

sharknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #31
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
There's another Diamond Kershaw that has less Control but is otherwise almost identical. I think there might be a low-Diamond Kershaw too. This 99 card hasn't really lived up to its ratings in the past and I was thinking about selling him, but I'm enjoying him this season for sure. The random Perfect Leagues are getting pretty watered down though.

There might be a Perfect PEAK Kershaw in a Dodgers collection to come, who knows? He had a few great seasons, it would be interesting to sample from them all.
Alright, I'm pretty sure the other one is the one I've seen around...2014 maybe. And a lower overall.

He does alright, as far as the Perfect Leagues, maybe the ones that are random are weighted slightly differently (by mechanism of therandomness)...I've been in a few leagues where there is only 1 heavyweight but for the last 2 weeks there have been at least 4 & a lot of middleweight champions, ha...for example, the team that finished 3rd in my division last season was 68-94 but have won a PL title.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 10-08-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:05 AM   #32
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

P454: Odd Month of Water Treading

It's been a weird May so far for Huntley. The Red Raiders hosted a 3-game series against the Fighting Frogs (they swept us ) and a 3-game series against Kyary (we swept them ). In the other 17 games, Huntley has faced only under-.500 teams, and, well, here are the results, ordered from best to "Huh?" (opponents' current records in parentheses):

1 game vs the Oklahoma City Bombers (14-35): Huntley wins
3 games at the Wolf Pack (12-38): Huntley wins 2 of 3
4 games vs the Midland Rockhounds (24-26): Split, each winning 2
2 games at the Hopkins Royals (22-28): Split, each winning 1
4 games at the Chernobyl Fallout (18-32): Split, each winning 2
3 games at the Willlsboro Warriors (19-29): Willsboro wins 2 of 3

That's a 12-11 record so far in May.

The good news is, Huntley has retained its early season hold on first place in the NC West, 2.5 games up on the Excelsior Dodgers and 3.5 up on said Frogs. Still, I get the feeling that as the season progresses and the NC playoff teams and seeding come into focus, this will be the month I look back on and wonder, "What if?"

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:42 AM   #33
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Interesting month. At the moment, the Raccoons are 39-12 .765 which is 3rd best in the league and our RDiff of +175 (+555 pace) is 2nd best.

It was a rough start to the month, getting swept by a team that we should have been able to beat, but it went well after that. Well, except for a 2 game series against that Sluggers team again. So the 1st time around they beat us twice in 10 innings. To change things up, they beat us the 1st game of this series without needing extras, but the 2nd game they beat us in 10 again. To add insult to injury, they did it off our new addition to the bullpen 100 Trevor Hoffman. Roger Conner hit a walk-off 2-R HR off him. I'm intending on getting perfect Eck as well (or Smith), but only once I see a price I like. Hoffman's ratings are slightly worse than Eck and Smith, but since he was so much cheaper, I couldn't resist.

Earlier today, I showed my daughter a box score by a team that scored 26 R and lamented that my team hadn't had one of those high PP generating games in ages. Shortly after saying that, we won 30-4, our biggest blowout ever. The 1st 17 runs were scored off their 1st 6 pitchers. The remaining 4 "pitchers" were actually batters and they gave up the remaining 13 R. I was surprised we "only" made a total of 6500 PP off this, but it's the 1st big PP total we've had in quite a while and will help me to get more bullpen help sooner - maybe by the end of the season.
Attached Images
Old 10-09-2019, 01:53 AM   #34
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Not sure for sure (ha), but I think if you're talking about Singapore, that they MIGHT be the best team I've seen so far. There's something very well-rounded about most of their performances.

I mean there's a lot of great teams, though, and I have won a season series vs. them...

One of those instances though where I was able to focus on what I could do to beat them, set things up pretty well & they still edged out the W.

There are 4 teams ranked ahead of Singapore in wins & Wpct. ...5, actually, if you excuse one for having a higher win% but a handful less wins.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 10-09-2019 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:47 AM   #35
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

The Frogs limped to the end of May with a disappointing 30-25 record (+35). Considering the team began 2047 on a 15-5 run, the temperature of the water in the boiling pot has been rising slowly, but the Frogs haven't seemed to notice. Jump out already! We're 6.5 games behind 1st place Huntley and 3 games behind 2nd place Excelsior.

I lowered the ballpark factors back down from 1.075 to 1.050 for batting average and this has apparently caused a team-wide offensive swoon. The Frogs never have the best offense in a given week, but usually scrape out a top 4-ish showing. When the team is at its best it's always a combo of defense/bullpen/decent starting pitching/opportunistic offense, but that opportunity is not knocking right now as the team ranks a lowly 8th in the conference in runs scored (235). Lenny Dykstra (.236), Johnny Pesky (.259), and Pudge Rodriguez (.230) have all been bad. Chipper Jones was so bad, hitting .185 deep into May, that he was subbed off the active roster for George Sisler. Sisler was trying to get a breather this week, but duty calls. 87 Wade Boggs is leading the conference with a .364 average and that's one of the few positives here.

The pitching has been alright. 200 runs allowed is good for 4th. 3.55 starting pitching ERA and 2.94 bullpen ERA. Vida Blue has 2 losses and 2 blown saves in his last 5 appearances so that's unfortunate. Some of that is contributing to the team's subpar 5-10 record in 1-run games--7 of the team's 15 May losses were of the 1-run variety. It was an unfortunate stretch for sure, because the team held serve against the strong teams (3-0 vs Huntley, 3-3 vs Saint Paul), but seemed to be moving in Jell-o against the other opponents.

The brightest Frog of the week has been Ed Walsh. He suffered to a .342 BABIP and a 3.87 ERA last week, so very un-Walshian. But, this week he's back to his Walshian ways: 10-0 with a 2.01 ERA and an 82-pitch no-hitter that would've been a perfecto had he not beaned Lou Boudreau and Anthony Rendon. D'oh! He came back 2 starts later and threw 9 innings of 4-hit, zero-run ball but the team lost 1-0 in 10 innings (this pretty much encapsulates the season so far).Walsh is in the hunt for his 2nd Pitcher of the Year award.

Let's hope for some better results in June.

Last edited by waittilnextyear; 10-09-2019 at 03:52 AM.
waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #36
sharknut
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharknut View Post
My Chiles are in 2nd place 6 games behind Argonaut's Green Lake Cowboys. The team is doing better than I expected again this year. The opposite of last year, my team is outperforming their raw numbers. 22-19 so far, but 15-26 is what i should be.
A really good May has brought me to 4 1/2 of first place, but this time my team earned those wins. They played really well, nobody is playing great, but 8 regulars are hitting better than .275. Not sure how long I can keep the pace, but I lead the wild card after 2 months. I'll take that

sharknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #37
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

The Redlegs are hanging around in P422. Six games above .500 at 30-24 and with a 3 1/2-game lead for the second WC spot. Still early days, but so far the most enjoyable of my five seasons in Perfect.

The Lumber Company have begun to find their feet in Diamond, they are now 25-27 and in third place in a fairly weak division. Ed Walsh, who started this season with the same bad luck he started last season with, is now 4-2 with a 2.26 ERA. Same goes for the Thetford Mines Mineurs, who are in 4th place in their division but have actually got back to playing .500 ball.

And I decided to pull the trigger on picking up seven Diamond packs with the Game Theories. I can always re-build the points back up.

That send, this time tomorrow I'll be on a plane to an island paradise and will be incommunicado for a week. Who knows what I'll find when I get back. Could go either way.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #38
dbqs
Major Leagues

The Chicago Machine are on top of their refreshingly whale-less division this season heading into day 66!

Have a 20-8 home record and a 12-18 away record as it stands. Went with an extremely pitcher-friendly park and some speedy stealy smallball tactics. We'll see if these scrappy upstarts can keep it up.

The SE94 George Sisler is by far my fave card in this game. Love everything about him. He's currently on track for 22 HR and 64/6 SB/CS. The core of this team is currently the specials, Sisler/Dykstra/Appling/99 NYY Rickey Henderson.

Got dang pinch runner extraordinaire Cool Papa Bell and his 90/80 speed, on the other hand, has 5 SB and 6 CS.

Last edited by dbqs; 10-09-2019 at 12:46 PM.
dbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #39
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1964 View Post
Both my teams stay in the same league type. Decided to purchase a diamond pack. And this was the result.
You using or selling CY young?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #40
old timer
Hall Of Famer

The Raccoons are having quite the season so far, but are only 3rd in the league in WPct. The 4th best team, the DDingu Eagles are the best team I've ever seen that had no perfect championships (that's been around from the beginning). They've got a .657 career WPct and yet have now gone 22 straight seasons (making the playoffs every year!) without winning a title - now that's some bad luck! If we can't make it to the WS, I hope they do and I hope they can win it. Of course, them Sluggers might have something to say about that.

One of our goals has been to finish with an RDiff of +500, but we only once ever came close (+485). This year we're really dominating so far and have the 2nd best RDiff of +230 which is a +601 pace. But the leaders, the Singapore Sluggers (who else?), have an RDiff of +291 (a 760 pace).

I decided to put Johnson in the bullpen and give Seaver a shot at starting for a bit and he's been truly terrific! He tossed a 1-hitter in his 1st start (if it weren't for that 2nd inning hit, he would have had a perfect game) and then threw another SHO in his 2nd start. In fact, we just recently got 3 straight SHOs and just passed Singapore with the fewest RA in the league.
Attached Images