Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Why does the AI ignore my bullpen setup?

Bottom of the 8th, 2 outs, man on 2nd and leading 3-2. I assume this qualifies as "high leverage" for the purposes of the role in the bullpen? So why is the AI choosing the only pitcher in the pen with no role associated to him? What's the point of setting roles if the AI just ignores them? Shouldn't the AI only be using a guy in the bullpen with no roles associated with him as a "last resort"? If not, can we get a "last resort" role? Nine pitchers fully rested and available and the AI picks the guy who is supposed to be starting the Wild Card game in a couple of days. *sigh*
Attached Images
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

If you didn't want that pitcher in a high leverage situation you should have specified that when you set the bullpen. There was nothing to tell the manager not to use him. If he was set to start the Wild Card game you should have kept him in the rotation where he could not have been used in relief. The AI can't read your mind and know that you were planning on pitching him in the WC game.

Last edited by Curve Ball Dave; 04-12-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Curve Ball Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
If you didn't want that pitcher in a high leverage situation you should have specified that when you set the bullpen. There was nothing to tell the manager not to use him. If he was set to start the Wild Card game you should have kept him in the rotation where he could not have been used in relief. The AI can't read your mind and know that you were planning on pitching him in the WC game.
I had actually benched him for three days thinking that was to the end of the season. I understand and agree with what you say. That still doesn't explain why the AI didn't choose the guy who is designated for that role in both ways, as the setup guy and as the high leverage guy. And again, shouldn't the hierarchy of how the AI goes through the bullpen mean that those with no roles associated should be last off the bench? If not, how does one designate a pitcher in such a way? I wasn't that concerned about him being active since there were 8 other, more appropriate pitchers to choose, then it chooses that one. One of the only times in years of playing where I've actually manually made a substitution to make sure he only faced that one batter. I just don't understand the AI logic. It seems so illogical.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

unless you have a controlling coach that uses his own depth chart in spite of your choices, there's absolutely no reason that should happen with a well-rested bullpen.

doesn't just happen with 'controlling' managers either. the highly reputable guys with years of experience will demand control too.

i'd either edit schedule to delay playoffs in future, just to avoid this nonsense, or, start controlling those last couple games. otherwise it's going to happen occasionally.

i know the ai works a bit differently the last few days of the season in an effort to setup pitchers for playoffs, which agian may be a difference of their choices and yours, if so.

maybe a 7day lineup would help? just guessing, worth a try 1 week out of the year.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-12-2019 at 03:34 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #5
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I'm not looking for fixes guys. I mistakenly benched him for three days instead of four. He only threw four pitches so he ended up being rested for the WC game anyways. I just want to know why the AI would ignore the guy designated for the role and use the guy with no role at all. It doesn't make sense.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

My theory is that as the AI gets smarter and smarter it will start over-riding a lot of our judgments.
For instance, I can see a day coming, in the not too distant future, where the AI will say to me, "um, no you are not wearing those shoes with that shirt."

Eventually, I would suspect even your most important decisions in life- about love, money, career- will be subject to the whims of the superior intellect of your OOTP AI over-lord.

Be thankful it's only bullpen decisions at this point.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote