Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
babs42
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Aaron Judge

What would Aaron Judge's ratings in OOTP 18 be at this point? I can't help but to make his ratings better after his first half lol.
babs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:15 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

It wouldn't be just jacking up his Home Run Power. Contact, Eye/Discipline, Avoid K's, and Defense in RF all would have to go up over ratings that were based on how he did in his debut last season.

Better work on these, too, especially the highlighted one:
Attached Images

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:17 AM   #3
babs42
Minors (Rookie Ball)

In addition,

How much should I boost him? Like he's a superstar? I'm a huge Yankees fan and know exactly how well he's playing. I'm just wondering if I should make him a top 10 or higher player for his whole career in my game after just half a season in real life.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
steady teddy
Major Leagues

Umm...the guy hit 55 HRs in 2017 in my standard Tigers save. How much of a boost do you want to give him?
Attached Images
steady teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post
Umm...the guy hit 55 HRs in 2017 in my standard Tigers save. How much of a boost do you want to give him?
Thanks for posting this. I did not want to create a test MLB game just to look at it.

Well, as a Yankees fan who has watched this guy for half a season, I would say that you need to turn the Contact rating blue and probably Gap Power should be blue, too. Definitely the Avoid K's should be green. He's completely turned that around.

Defensively, he's shown himself to be surprisingly quick and agile in RF and has a good glove and arm. I might nudge those ratings up a bit, as well.

Bear in mind, you're asking so I'm giving you my impression based only on half a season. Can he keep it up? Time will tell.

By the way, you need to fix the personality. That blurb does not fit him. One of the aspects about Aaron Judge that I have commented about in the Yankees thread in Talk Sports is that this kid is not only humble. He handles himself well and success is not making him full of himself. He seems mature beyond his years.
Attached Images

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 07-04-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
Wingedlion14
Minors (Double A)

Another Yankee fan here. What I did for judge when I started my game in April is give him the same K-ratings as Gary Sanchez. That puts him approximately where he is in real life this year. If I were to start a game now, I would do the same thing now and also bump up how BABIP enough for his contact to be blue.
Wingedlion14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #7
BlueSkull
Minors (Single A)

I'm enjoying Judge's emergence, however, on the "Avoid Ks", he's already at 99 Ks for the real 2017 season before the halfway point and is projected to around 200 Ks this season. That doesn't strike me as in the "green" zone.

While I agree on the personality comments in general, other than a few leader types who are represented in the game like Napoli or Granderson, mostly personality seems like a random assignment in game.

Final point. As we think about his progression, I'll note that he's not a "young" rookie at 25 years old, meaning the next few season are probably his prime and so it's a perfectly reasonable scenario to me that he is in fact somewhere near as good as he seems (with some regression expected as the league catches up to him); however, it's equally reasonable to assume that he's near his peak and that it's not like he will necessarily be much better than this (if that's even possible). Either way, it will be fun to watch him play and see how it turns out both in the real world and the OOTP ones!
BlueSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

So if he continues doing well, what personality traits should be made paramount for Aaron Judge?

I would say that he had the Work Ethic and the Intelligence to work on his swing to make better contact and cut way back on his strikeouts. The power was always there but the home runs are the result of these adjustments.

He may turn out to be Greedy in five years or so when he becomes eligible for free agency, but he doesn't strike me as that right now. He seems to be a wonder-struck kid who is having the time of his life playing great baseball. Too bad that doesn't usually last.

It's too soon to be talking about Leadership Ability. The media, always eager for a story good or bad, are already comparing Judge to Jeter. There are similarities that one notices when you hear and read how Judge handles the media. Deflects with modesty and politeness. Now, the real test will be if and when Judge hits a wall and the media turns nasty.

As far as those "below the radar" personality traits, I would give him good marks in Adaptability (turned around his K's), Controversy (he's playing in New York and has survived several months), Handle Success (see above), Handle Failure (see his 2016 stats), and . . . um, rate him so-so on Handle Critics. Nobody expected much of him late last season and this year, there ARE no critics. Yet.

- Bru

Old 07-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #9
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

In my save Judge, unedited, hit 44 HRs and won ROTY. Don't think he really needs a boost.
Sam_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #10
steady teddy
Major Leagues

^ Yeah I forgot to mention Judge was not only ROY in my save but also 2017 league MVP.

Perhaps someone with a long term save can post stats on his performance throughout most of his career before any editing might be required.

It's been a while since I seriously got into OOTP (been having too much fun with Football Manager) but I assume the database for the current roster uses the same ratings/calculations as the historical database? Based on what I've seen in my historical sims with historical transactions on and how eerily close the stats come to what actually transpired in MLB history, I would play the game without doing any editing. But hey, that's just me, we're entitled to play the game any way we want.

Last edited by steady teddy; 07-04-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #11
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
It's been a while since I seriously got into OOTP (been having too much fun with Football Manager) but I assume the database for the current roster uses the same ratings/calculations as the historical database?
It actually doesn't. The current rosters are set according to ZIPS to start and then we manually tweak the ratings when needed.

The historical db uses an algorithm based on the player's performance in a given year or series of years to set the ratings. So the ratings in the current roster and historical can be quite different.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #12
t-bone shuffle
All Star Reserve

I just watched the kid play three games in Houston against some very good, good, ok, and not so to good pitchers. I'd pump the brakes on any adjustment to the existing ratings, except maybe the "personality" ones. Let's see what he looks like a year from now.

And yes, I know, a small sample size.

And, also yes, this is mostly me sticking the needle in Yankees fans after the Astros going 5-2 in the season against them, including both series wins.

t-bone shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #13
steady teddy
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
It actually doesn't. The current rosters are set according to ZIPS to start and then we manually tweak the ratings when needed.

The historical db uses an algorithm based on the player's performance in a given year or series of years to set the ratings. So the ratings in the current roster and historical can be quite different.
Thanks for the info. Since the team I'm controlling in OOTP is a disaster and the real life team sucks, I think it's pretty darn close so far...
Old 07-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #14
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

His results are unsustainable unless he's a generational talent... odds aren't good on that. he would have to have an uncanny ability to put the ball in play where playeres are not.

he might improve on avoiding strikeouts, but he could get worse, too, lol... a 200k/year guy probably won't improve much. with that said, .250-.280BA most years with his power scaled to that rate of contact is still quite good.

i was curious so i did it in the editor with the help of his scaled stats from a lil spreadsheet formula... the game thinks the same way... > 200 BABIP would be a generational talent level. splits are from ootp -- just look at potential if you want the ~average. These ratings probably can show up in the game with great luck, actually (fictionally created, that is). i've seen what i consider better/equivalent before for sure.

his hit by pitch might not be right, i didn't have that info on the quick copy/paste from first website google found, plus any rounding errors.

**if you want to scale to your ratings-scale, 200 is your denominator for the factor, not 250. (201? if the math is off a bit - 0-200)

* in ootp, this guy really highlights a power hitter that is more hr vs 2b is so much better in the game! a high doubles ratings affects ratio, i think ? (2b/3b vs hr - but maybe not relative to an individual, defintiely how LTMs work, though)
Attached Images

Last edited by NoOne; 07-04-2017 at 01:48 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #15
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Since the team I'm controlling in OOTP is a disaster and the real life team sucks, I think it's pretty darn close so far...
We sure try to get it as close as possible to reality, but since we're doing most of the work before the seasons starts, obviously we're not always going to get it right

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:01 PM   #16
steady teddy
Major Leagues

I've often heard comparisons with another big young guy, Cody Bellinger, even though they play different positions and Bellenger is a lefty. Just for giggles I thought I'd post his stats from the same save.
Attached Images
Old 07-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #17
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

Just did a test after somebody requested to see what Judge's career might look like. Unedited Ratings, nothing touched.

Finished his career with 279 HR, retiring in 2028. Injuries largely did him in as he played just 27 games in 2021 and 94 in 2024/38 in 2025.

He was out of the Majors for 2026 and 2027 then played just 73 games for Seattle in 2028 where he hit 11 HR at age 36.

Finished his career with 4 seasons of 40+ HR and another at 36 HR. Basically was a clone of 1B Chris Davis as far as hitting went (He finished with just 317 HR in this test).
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #18
babs42
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I guess that's really the question, then. Is he more likely to be a (close) to generational talent, or just a Hall of Very Good-type player?
Old 07-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #19
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Definitely the Avoid K's should be green. He's completely turned that around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkull View Post
I'm enjoying Judge's emergence, however, on the "Avoid Ks", he's already at 99 Ks for the real 2017 season before the halfway point and is projected to around 200 Ks this season. That doesn't strike me as in the "green" zone.
Yes, I realize that you may be right on that, after having watched him whiff three times this afternoon (along with his 28th HR). But, he's no longer red line for Avoid K's, I don't think. So, make him yellow for that rating. (Heaven forbid he goes back to his old ways. The good news: On all three K's today, he went to a 3-2 count. That's a bit encouraging at least.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babs42 View Post
I guess that's really the question, then. Is he more likely to be a (close) to generational talent, or just a Hall of Very Good-type player?
That really is the question, babs, and nobody is going to know the answer to that for quite some time.

- Bru

Old 07-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #20
BlueSkull
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Yes, I realize that you may be right on that, after having watched him whiff three times this afternoon (along with his 28th HR). But, he's no longer red line for Avoid K's, I don't think. So, make him yellow for that rating. (Heaven forbid he goes back to his old ways. The good news: On all three K's today, he went to a 3-2 count. That's a bit encouraging at least.)

That really is the question, babs, and nobody is going to know the answer to that for quite some time.

🤣 Or maybe he's Kevin Maas. Or Dan Pasqua.

I don't actually think so, but......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlueSkull is offline   Reply With Quote