Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #21
gbwitheyes
Minors (Triple A)

Have you tried historical? The Braves had those incredible 90's. You'll be a bit more familiar with the players. Have an idea of what should work. And should have some winning teams. You might even pick up a few ideas from those teams to help build winners of your own.

If OOTP is nothing else it is flexible. It allows you to play however you want. You can save copies of games and try different approaches to see what works. You can create quickstarts that serve as a starting point for trying different things. Try spending huge, going young and rebuilding, have a killer farm system or an incredible pitching staff. Heck, run all four at the same time and see how things go.

I hate free agency. I was raised on knowing that the same players were with my team until the owner did something that made me real mad at him. I also like that period of time in the late 60's when pitching dominated. So I created a game that was just that. Wait, I should say I'm creating that game. I've been slowly shaping and correcting my game with that goal in mind. I'm immensely enjoying myself with this process alone.

Best of luck and I hope that you can find the game you're looking for.
gbwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #22
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
I've been buying OOTP Baseball for a long time now. I believe that my first one was OOTP8. Well, whatever it was, I won't be buying it anymore, and I'm uninstalling the current version. The reason is that the game is no longer fun. I play as my long-time favorite team, the Atlanta Braves, but no matter how I try, I can't build a team that wins consistently, never mind goes to the playoffs. If a game is to be fun, it should be possible to come up with a strategy that will allow you to be successful. I have not found that to be possible with the last two iterations of OOTP, so playing the game is simply an exercise in frustration.
Sorry, no ribbons here for simply competing!

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #23
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

To the OP...this game can be very frustrating....I think other posters have given some great advice/outlook....I will share my frustrating tale (albeit on a smaller scale) in hopes that you will keep plugging away. Years ago, I thought the game was rigged and was ready to quit....I came to the forums and picked up a few pointers...life is good!

I play MLB quickstart and bring back the Expos as an expansion team. I go back to four divisions with only the division winner making the playoffs.

After four years of painfully building up the organization I was ready to contend:

Year 1 Everything goes smoothly....we win 96 games only to finish 8 games back of the powerhouse Yankees...frustrating (what idiot contracted the playoffs?!?!) but only good things ahead!

Year 2 My rotation is injury riddled and massively underperforms....my closer can't close and the rest of the bullpen is meh because they are overused.....76 wins

Year 3 Opposing batters eat up my 2 stud international starting pitchers like a hobo on a ham sandwich...balls are flying out of my park at a record pace but it's not my guys hitting them!....my ace starter gets knocked out for half the year after his 1st start....and my stud top prospect catcher proves he is not quite up to the task....I make a mid-season trade dumping the international pitchers to get an expiring vet and a good young SP who is struggling (I had to give up two of my top pitching prospects to get the deal done)....the new guys? I have to move the vet to the bullpen because he stinks and the young guy pitches ok but nothing special....resulting in a 2nd place finish, 10 games back with 86 wins

If I had any hair left I would have pulled it out!

Year 4 I gamble in the off-season and traded a lot of productive fan favourites...I used free agency to grab a stud catcher...I fortified my lineup....rebuilt the entire pen (one returning player) and got tonnes of depth for the rotation.....the season has gone fantastically and we have 88 wins on Sept 1st and are running away with the division (not sure if my starters will deliver the goods in October though).

If you are going to keep playing don't be afraid to try something different and see what happens (Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results!).....match up your coaches to your players....pay some attention to team chemistry....tailor your team to your home park etc....keep plugging!!!!
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:19 PM   #24
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
I've been buying OOTP Baseball for a long time now. I believe that my first one was OOTP8. Well, whatever it was, I won't be buying it anymore, and I'm uninstalling the current version. The reason is that the game is no longer fun. I play as my long-time favorite team, the Atlanta Braves, but no matter how I try, I can't build a team that wins consistently, never mind goes to the playoffs. If a game is to be fun, it should be possible to come up with a strategy that will allow you to be successful. I have not found that to be possible with the last two iterations of OOTP, so playing the game is simply an exercise in frustration.
Dear Dactyl,

I know exactly how you feel. I mean I really know EXACTLY how you feel!

Love,
John Schuerholz

President, Atlanta Braves
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #25
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
It irritates me when people complain and give a big rant and then disappear

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #26
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
It irritates me when people complain and give a big rant and then disappear

agreed.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #27
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

I had actually built a few dynasties before switching over to stats only. My fictional Miami Tropics won five Doubleday Cup Championships in seven seasons and played for it in 8 of 10 in a fictional league I retired from a little while back. It was getting too easy. Then I discovered Stats Only gameplay and that kind of thing became harder to come by. I still win championships here and there but with that kind of gameplay I've found it much more work not just to get on top but stay there. And now that it's more of a challenge I've never been more into it.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #28
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
I had actually built a few dynasties before switching over to stats only. My fictional Miami Tropics won five Doubleday Cup Championships in seven seasons and played for it in 8 of 10 in a fictional league I retired from a little while back. It was getting too easy. Then I discovered Stats Only gameplay and that kind of thing became harder to come by. I still win championships here and there but with that kind of gameplay I've found it much more work not just to get on top but stay there. And now that it's more of a challenge I've never been more into it.

The OP was complaining about the game being too HARD, not too easy. Is every thread merely bait for someone to raise the no-ratings flag one more time?

Last edited by Orcin; 05-22-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #29
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Quote:
That's the opposite of what the OP wants
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:35 PM   #30
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Any chance you could zip up that old game and send it to the OP?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #31
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

To the OP, not sure if playing as a fan or commissioner would interest you at all, but thought I would mention it. Might be a way for you to enjoy the game without all the frustration you've been experiencing. Just pick a team to follow or follow the entire league and as the history grows, you might find you don't even miss running a team. I know, this takes "the game" aspect out of the game, but for me, I've found playing this way allows me to enjoy the baseball and not feel like I'm at work.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:46 PM   #32
maximus33
Minors (Double A)

Seems like hes a 'Tear-adactyl'
maximus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #33
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Endgame: actually, experience is a harsh mistress. She gives the test first...the lesson later. Forget who I stole that from.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
"Alinsky works for me now."

Last edited by Ty Cobb; 05-22-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #34
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Irritation

It really irritates me that Padreman was the only poster that gave NEGATIVE comments to the OP in the 1st 25 replies to OP. That is his general modus operandi.. 23 even to positive post out of 25 & of course MR EXPERT gives his usual dumping on a poster. Reason why I hate coming here is because of him. he's just a tad flaky
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #35
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
Endgame: actually, experience is a harsh mistress. She gives the test first...the lesson later. Forget who I stole that from.
Thanks. Good quote and you have a point. Looking back, I recall that often a kiss came with a slug to the gut shortly after. Sometimes from different sources, of course.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #36
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
It really irritates me that Padreman was the only poster that gave NEGATIVE comments to the OP in the 1st 25 replies to OP. That is his general modus operandi.. 23 even to positive post out of 25 & of course MR EXPERT gives his usual dumping on a poster. Reason why I hate coming here is because of him. he's just a tad flaky
He's always a tad abrupt, yeah, but it's like you say, a bit of his usual style and not unexpected. And c'mon, I didn't come off negative? I tried! I do always, at least as a rule, try to revisit a ranting post's old posts to glean a clue about who I am really addressing and their particular modus operandi. To me, this one was pretty clear.

Last edited by endgame; 05-22-2017 at 06:10 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #37
Dr. Strangelove
Minors (Double A)

Adding my two cents, the game can be tough or easy, depending on how long you've played and how fast a learner you are. Historical simulations are my thing, and I've started with the 1960s Red Sox. It was tough, but definitely helped me learn the ropes. Additionally, I had spent hours reading different opinions about real life stats, their importance, watched some old and modern games more often, and after some time I'm really getting a hold of it. I learned to look at the roster, stats, those short texts that sum up player's characteristics, and I've managed to lead the Red Sox to three consecutive World Series now, and build a legacy of amazing prospects along the way. Everything is possible, it just requires some dedication and I've found out that real-life sources are great, as the game itself is great in simulating the game.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 05-22-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #38
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

hey!
the SEA Mariners and WAS Nationals/MTL Expos have been in MLB for over 40 years and they have never even BEEN to the World Series!
You dont see those franchises folding up, do you?

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:19 PM   #39
GunnyB
Minors (Triple A)

I may be the odd ball here.
But, I guess I'm a gluten for punishment. I like taking an expansion team or an established team that's horrible and build them up. I limit the amount of moves I can make....usually one or two acquisitions a year. Excluding the draft of course lol.
I try to rely on drafting and shrewd decision making. If I'm lucky within 10-15 (game) years my team is good enough to move on to my next project.

Probably don't help the OP...but, it's my 2 cents.

FYI: I've played since OOTP3 or 4 can't remember.

Last edited by GunnyB; 05-22-2017 at 08:21 PM.
GunnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:55 PM   #40
Bears5122
All Star Reserve

I'd rather see threads like this than threads talking about how you won 8 of the last 9 championships and need some new house rules to make the game competitive.

The game can be adjusted to be easier. For one, make trading easier in the settings.
Bears5122 is offline   Reply With Quote