Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #41
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
Yeah, we have this discussion every year

The fact is that we actually generate fewer injuries than in real life on the default settings to keep complaints like this down a bit.

It's just that lot of folks just don't realize just how many injuries there actually are in reality.

I have never had a version where injuries this rampant ... I have been buying this since 2001. I dealt with it for one season and season 2 it got worse and by season 3 it got real annoying. I also love how the game picks on various players so I end up trading them just so I don't have to deal with the nonsense .... the only thing that saves me from screaming is the fact I have built a good minor league system. My issue is getting trainer coming out every game either taking them out or he can stay in game. Even trainers trying to work on something not even part of the game. Plus how often do you get 5 injuries in the same game and 4 of them pitchers and have several games in a row like 7 to 10 games in a row of injuries. How about having game taking my pitchers taken out in April then come back in July DL again then DL again August .... Quite often I get 3 DLs a year for the SAME players each of the 3 seasons so far and ended up trading them away was annoyed. ..... Please fix injuries to be LESS annoying Thanks and I am glad to see I am NOT the only one on this ..... Again Never had issues with injuries until this version
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:52 PM   #42
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
Hmm. My last few sims the numbers were almost exactly on for position players.

I didn't think we changed anything with position player injuries this patch, only pitchers, but I'll have to run a few sims and check on that.

What about pitchers ???? Game loves to take pitchers on DL that's why I stock up on pitchers because of it
Old 05-29-2017, 09:31 PM   #43
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

I've noticed more injuries than in seasons past.. but what got my attention was that I get so many back injuries. I just take it in stride and consider it one of the challenges of managing a team. It gives value to having developed my minor league system and having the depth to still field quality players when starters go down.
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:02 PM   #44
msupoke
All Star Reserve

Injuries seem pretty realistic to me.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #45
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

19 pitching injuries on my 25 man roster thru july 25th

bunch of em are just for a day or two or maybe a week, but I am into the bullpen in the 2nd or 3rd inning at the time it happens to a starter

3 starters out for the season by may 31

worse luck than this could not shock me

oh yeah, and my closer already has like 4 blown saves and an ERA around 6. too bad he is the one pitcher that's never been injured lol
bullpen as a whole has at least 15 blown saves (current roster has that many, plus the whatever the few bums I got rid of had)

Last edited by Whoofe; 06-03-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #46
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

make that 20 injuries by july 27 lol

had to use the next starter to get me thru the next several innings since I used my long reliever on the previous injury.

gonna have to waive someone now since I am outta starters

Last edited by Whoofe; 06-03-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:34 PM   #47
Bears5122
All Star Reserve

Has anyone had better results playing on low injuries?
Bears5122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:47 AM   #48
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I had a pitcher recover like two months early from tommy john surgery.. so recovery can go both ways, really cool!

Too bad (Alex Reyes) is now closing down in AAA as his stamina was cut in half, but maybe he can make a comeback.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #49
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Wow that's cool an injury that a player returned sooner than expected. Would think those with good work ethics would be good in returning quicker
Old 06-06-2017, 04:43 PM   #50
Peanuts
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Greetings Tiger Fan -

Have you considered a new trainer? From what I've read, a better trainer will hold down injuries.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #51
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
Wow that's cool an injury that a player returned sooner than expected. Would think those with good work ethics would be good in returning quicker
Said he's a decent teammate who loves chili dogs.. LOL! I guess that's some damn good healing chili!

In all seriousness.. I'll say this again.. the new injury system is worth the full price of this game.

Thank you Markus and team!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #52
swoboda
All Star Starter

I also give a big thumbs up to the "day-to-day but he still can play."
Ability to limit length of injuries league wide sounds like something to be considered for 19. ...

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #53
thehef
Hall Of Famer

I wanted a simplified injury file that didn't have long-term injuries (therefore no CEI's, no surgeries) and had injury descriptions that were more like we would expect to find in a 1952 sports section (rather than the medical jargon we get now). Therefore, I made one. I performed no analysis on whether the injuries removed (and therefore the injuries left in) would be realistically distributed. And I'm no medical expert. So given that, here's the summary:

1) For most injuries where the minimum time was greater than 30 days, I removed it from the file.
2) For the remaining injuries where the minimum was 30 days or less, but the max was over 30 days, I capped most at 30 days, with a handful where the max is higher, but no more than 45 days.
3) All injuries where surgery was required were already removed (in #1 above). For remaining injuries where surgery was a possibility, I changed that indicator to never.
4) I removed a few injuries that I just didn't feel the need to have in my game (finger avulsion, pleurisy, esophageal spasms...).

As for the descriptions, a few examples:

- "lacerated" changed to "cut"
- contusion > bruise
- rotator cuff > shoulder
- strained anterior cruciate ligament, strained medial collateral ligament - strained knee
- quadriceps > thigh
... and my favorite: acromioclavicular joint irritation > sore shoulder

You get the idea...

How historically/medically accurate any of this is (frequency, distribution, descriptions), I don't really care. For my historical games, where I want the flavor of dealing with injuries but don't want to be overwhelmed by them (not to mention that I don't want SEI's and CEI's radically altering things), it suits my purposes just fine (so far, based upon some limited testing). I fully realize that some may not quite be into this, while others may consider this outright heresy. At any rate, if anyone's interested in the file, happy to share - it's attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt injuries_edited.txt (15.3 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by thehef; 06-07-2017 at 03:24 AM.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:04 PM   #54
henry296
All Star Reserve

I have also tweaked the injury file. The primary changes I made were:

1. Eliminated Career Ending Injuries
2. Reduced frequency of long term injuries
3. Eliminated many longer term Day to Day injuries and made the player out.
4. Created separate records for injuries happening in different ways to control frequency.

Overall, I get about 7-10 of each of the major pitching injuries each year (Tommy John, Rotator Cuff, Flexor Tendon) in the MLB Quick start with Modern injury settings.

Attached is the file. Place it in your database folder. It will need to be replaced with each patch.

Let me know your thoughts.
Attached Files
File Type: txt injuries.txt (30.2 KB, 100 views)
henry296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:25 AM   #55
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Attached my injury file to my post above. If ya try it out, LMKWYT!
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #56
Bulldawgz24
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I have also tweaked the injury file. The primary changes I made were:

1. Eliminated Career Ending Injuries
2. Reduced frequency of long term injuries
3. Eliminated many longer term Day to Day injuries and made the player out.
4. Created separate records for injuries happening in different ways to control frequency.

Overall, I get about 7-10 of each of the major pitching injuries each year (Tommy John, Rotator Cuff, Flexor Tendon) in the MLB Quick start with Modern injury settings.

Attached is the file. Place it in your database folder. It will need to be replaced with each patch.

Let me know your thoughts.

I had K-Rod (Tigers Closer) go on the DL midseason and right before he recovered he suffered a career ending injury setback....crazy. Whats odd is my owner gave me a goal of extending his contract (which I didn't want to anyhow), but at seasons end he gave a negative review for not resigning him.....even though his career ended due to injury
Bulldawgz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #57
Bulldawgz24
Minors (Triple A)

My first season playing as the tigers, I had a ridiculous amount of injuries with my top 3 starters, closer, & miggy out for 60+ days, some of which were out for the season. This is in addition to a slew of 15-30day injuries that caused me too play a significant amount of minor leaguers and also caused me to plummet from wild card contention around beginning of July to last place in my division by seasons end.

My current season I've had far fewer injuries, until recently when I had 4 players go on the DL in a 5-day period (though all were only 2-4 weeks).

I'm happy that I'm not so injury plagued as the previous season but it does seem to come in waves for me...
Bulldawgz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #58
henry296
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgz24 View Post
I had K-Rod (Tigers Closer) go on the DL midseason and right before he recovered he suffered a career ending injury setback....crazy. Whats odd is my owner gave me a goal of extending his contract (which I didn't want to anyhow), but at seasons end he gave a negative review for not resigning him.....even though his career ended due to injury
If I recall, you can't prevent the career-ending setback. The initial injury will never be career-ending.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #59
Bears5122
All Star Reserve

For those posting injury files, are you playing on normal injury setting? Do I need to change anything else? Was going to give those files a few test sims.
Bears5122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:59 PM   #60
henry296
All Star Reserve

I play on high. Other than copying over the old file... make a backup first. There is nothing to do. I would do that and then reopen your game to make sure the new file is loaded.