Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:49 PM   #21
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

You can turn injuries off (unless you are in Challenge Mode).
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:56 AM   #22
Bears5122
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I think it needs just a small tweak. Just simmed 2017 QS and there were only 40 position players who appeared in 150 games compared to 84 in real life 2016 and only 60 appeared in 140 compared to 124 in real life.
This is definitely an issue and I've seen similar results.

I think the number of injuries the game is producing may be correct on the higher levels, it's just the durations are much too long for position players. There are too many players who come down with multi-month or season ending injuries (especially early in the season). I know we look at stats like average time on DL, but it seems heavily skewed by the number of pitchers getting Tommy John these days.

The problem with playing on normal or high injury settings right now is it will skew your league down the line. With the likelihood of a player playing in 140 or more games in a season cut by such a large degree, it's unlikely they can produce realistic career stats.

From some testing, I get a more realistic games played sampling with injuries set to low. Now that likely means the injuries happen less than they do in real life, but since the durations seem to be too long for position players, it evens itself out. I've even toyed around with lowering position player fatigue to low which does help a little bit too.

Like you said, I think it just needs a tweak. Lowering the duration for position players perhaps. Also if injury proneness still only moves in one direction, that should probably be changed in some form to balance it out a bit. For every month a player goes without being injured he gains a tiny bit in that category. Otherwise you're just creating a league of mostly injury prone players.
Bears5122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:57 AM   #23
Bears5122
All Star Reserve

I should also ask, is there a way to adjust injury duration? I know you used to be able to edit the injuries.txt file but I believe that would have no impact on the length. Just the type of injury.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #24
FenwayPark
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears5122 View Post
I should also ask, is there a way to adjust injury duration? I know you used to be able to edit the injuries.txt file but I believe that would have no impact on the length. Just the type of injury.
We can also modify the length of injuries......

Last edited by FenwayPark; 05-21-2017 at 11:10 AM.
FenwayPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #25
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
I think it needs just a small tweak. Just simmed 2017 QS and there were only 40 position players who appeared in 150 games compared to 84 in real life 2016 and only 60 appeared in 140 compared to 124 in real life.
Hmm. My last few sims the numbers were almost exactly on for position players.

I didn't think we changed anything with position player injuries this patch, only pitchers, but I'll have to run a few sims and check on that.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #26
Lordofbrewtown
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
You can turn injuries off (unless you are in Challenge Mode).
I know that I (& I think many/most) do want some injuries, just not so many. I know I wouldn't even consider it a problem if I was using the high or normal setting. But, I'm a little disappointed that the latest patch seems to have increased the Very Low setting quite a bit.
Lordofbrewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:23 PM   #27
Bears5122
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
You're kind of picking an arbitrary endpoint number and reading a lot into it. That wasn't the case last patch when I tested that very thing.

Still, even if it is true now, it could have just as much to do with things other than injuries. Fatigue, how often the ai chooses to play backups etc

The frequency of injuries is certainly accurate, but whether the duration is accurate is a lot harder to get good info on and to test than frequency is. So maybe some adjustments are needed, it's possible but I don't think the amount of players that play 150 games is necessarily here or there when it comes to injuries.
Thanks Lukas. I agree with you that's it arbitrary. But I also think it is a somewhat worth looking into. To accumulate realistic stats you need it to be more common for position players to rack up a large number of games each season. For some reason it's not happening.

I was leaning toward injuries being the issue because when I did lower the frequency, starting position players were playing a more realistic number of games. If it was a case of the managerial AI or fatigue, I would think the numbers wouldn't change as dramatically.

I know it's incredibly difficult to simulate injuries in a realistic manner. I just think if the average opening day position player plays 135 games in a season (I'm making this number up) and the game is only getting 125 games in a season out of them, it'll skew career numbers for players over time.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #28
Bears5122
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayPark View Post
We can also modify the length of injuries......

I was under the impression that the game determines the length of the injury first, then goes to the injuries.txt file to pick the injury that it is. At least that's how it used to work.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #29
henry296
All Star Reserve

I've had some success in earlier versions by changing the frequency of the longer term injuries in that file.

Lukas. I did bump up fatigue because I used that in previous versions to compensate for the lack of injuries. I will turn that back down and report back.
henry296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #30
FenwayPark
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
I've had some success in earlier versions by changing the frequency of the longer term injuries in that file.

Lukas. I did bump up fatigue because I used that in previous versions to compensate for the lack of injuries. I will turn that back down and report back.
How did you bumped up the fatigue ?
FenwayPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #31
henry296
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayPark View Post
How did you bumped up the fatigue ?
It is on the Players and FaceGen setting under league settings. The setting is Position Player Fatigue, right under injury frequency settings.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:21 PM   #32
henry296
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears5122 View Post
I just did a quick test where I turned down the injury frequency of the major pitching injuries and run a season with the default injury.txt and the revised file. There appears to be a noticeable difference; the first number is the revised vs. original counts in the MLB injury log.

Torn Rotator Cuff 4; 7
Ruptured UCL 4;5
Partially torn UCL 1;4
Torn UCL 0;4
Torn / partially torn labrum 10;22
torn flexor tendon 1;5

I don't think the minor league 60 day DL issue should impact these counts. Also, both the Ruptured UCL and Torn UCL result in the same result which is Tommy John surgery.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #33
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofbrewtown View Post
Maybe we need more options in the injuries settings?
Yes.

Expanding the injury frequency options from five - plus the option to turn injuries off - to include, say, another option or two beneath the Normal (OOTP Classic) setting would be nice.

It would also be cool to add an Injury Length option where you could limit length of injuries to CEI (current/default setting), SEI (which means same as current, except you'd get no CEI), 60-Day, and 30-Day. Or something like that. (Yes, this is currently doable if you modify your injuries file, but it would obviously be easier/simpler and more new-gamer friendly if the options to do so were in-game.)

Last edited by thehef; 05-25-2017 at 04:07 AM. Reason: clarity
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #34
Lordofbrewtown
Minors (Triple A)

This is only seeming worse to me the more I play.

I am definitely getting more 6 months or greater pitcher injuries on 'Very Low' in 18 than I ever saw in version 16. I'm editing to cut down; but, it's on the verge of ridiculous (in my opinion). I'm 2/3 of the way through a 78 game season, and and had 16 60+ day injuries (most 180 days +). 32 Teams, 9 pitcher staffs - that's half the teams losing someone. The weird thing is, I'm seeing more pitcher injuries that are 60 days plus than pitcher injuries from 9-59 days...

So, my choice is either No injuries (not what I want) or the next best: 'Very Low', which is a substantial leap from none.
Lordofbrewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:39 AM   #35
msupoke
All Star Reserve

I play it on the default, and it seems just right to me.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:24 AM   #36
Mat
All Star Reserve

modern realistic seems best for me
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've said this before but my favorite addition to this years game is the new injury system, it adds so much in terms of challenging me as the GM to balance what's best for the player or what's best for the team.

I'm in a tight race with the Cubs with 40 games left and I've been playing a DtD groin injury Yadier Molina. Well, he's been fine for the past 10 games, but I just got a message his injury recovery is now uncertain due to playing him. So, I had to make a GM decision and put him on the 10 day DL and I'll leave him there until he recovers.

The question now is, was I selfish to play him, should I have put him on the DL sooner? I LOVE these types of decisions and it makes me feel more involved with my team.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #38
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
The question now is, was I selfish to play him, should I have put him on the DL sooner? I LOVE these types of decisions and it makes me feel more involved with my team.
This is a great feature.

I also like the in-game message (paraphrasing): "Molina hurt his hand and the trainer goes out to look at it. He is ok and can remain in the game." It makes you hold your breath for a bit.

Another great idea is the undiagnosed injury that turns out to be nothing (no time lost).
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #39
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
This is a great feature.

I also like the in-game message (paraphrasing): "Molina hurt his hand and the trainer goes out to look at it. He is ok and can remain in the game." It makes you hold your breath for a bit.

Another great idea is the undiagnosed injury that turns out to be nothing (no time lost).
Fully agree.. having a player tweak something in a game and then seeing he's not injured after the game is definitely a "holding my breath" moment.

Makes the playoffs feel real because you know most teams play DtD injured players all the time.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #40
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I've turned it down to low in my latest seasons and I like it much better that way. You still get the day to day injuries and usually one or two big injuries every year. i do agree with the point that with more injuries, more players get the fragile or wrecked injury history and that is never good so with that being said i will keep injuries on low for me
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote