Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

injuries

What can I do to limit the nonsensical injuries.

My point is I have injuries EVERY game for a stinking month. Is annoying to have trainer go out EVERY game to check up on players to say he can shake it off or take him out. I have tried it on various levels of injury. I like realistic injury setting but in real life they are not this bad. Never had it this bad before... Last patch I was getting 3 to 5 injuries per game now its not as serious so that's an improvement.
What I do to limit the damage is to goto commissioner mode and cut it down. Sometimes I will let it be a serious one and be 5 to 6 months on DL and sometimes I'm like shesh stop it and will make it a one day injury.
its now getting to the point where I am thinking of changing my normal injury level guys up a notch to minimize the level of injuries

Does anyone have any ideas ???? I like the injuries in the game. Just know I do like the old injuries system we had which worked good
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
Charley575
All Star Reserve

I had injuries set to "normal" for awhile and it got to be like a M.A.S.H. unit so I had to turn it down. "Low" seems about right to me. The bad thing about the normal setting is it takes a season or two to really hit you. It started out as a lot of small DTD injuries and that seemed ok, but here's the thing; every time a player is injured they become more injury prone. So after a season or two, everybody is either Fragile or Wrecked and then it gets really bad. Half the team was on the 60 day DL.
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Blue Jays would like to turn down injuries in real life too, as they currently still have more payroll on the DL than on the field. Injuries in real life really suck.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:01 PM   #4
bly08
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley575 View Post
I had injuries set to "normal" for awhile and it got to be like a M.A.S.H. unit so I had to turn it down. "Low" seems about right to me. The bad thing about the normal setting is it takes a season or two to really hit you. It started out as a lot of small DTD injuries and that seemed ok, but here's the thing; every time a player is injured they become more injury prone. So after a season or two, everybody is either Fragile or Wrecked and then it gets really bad. Half the team was on the 60 day DL.
I find this to be a problem as well. The snowball effect really kicks in after a few seasons. I don't know how accurate the current model is but players shouldn't necessarily become more injury prone after every injury, major or minor.
bly08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:42 PM   #5
sreem
All Star Reserve

Although I am seeing an increase in DTD injuries, which IMO is much more realistic than previous versions, I can't say that I've seen more of the major injuries.
I always play with High-Realistic Modern Day setting for injuries.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:09 AM   #6
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Blue Jays would like to turn down injuries in real life too, as they currently still have more payroll on the DL than on the field. Injuries in real life really suck.
grrrrr, tell me about it
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:01 AM   #7
Harmon Killebrew
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bly08 View Post
I don't know how accurate the current model is but players shouldn't necessarily become more injury prone after every injury, major or minor.
I second that.
Harmon Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #8
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Finally got my first game in 2 game months no injuries. Not even a visit on field with trainer .... about stinking time. The 7 straight games again before going to bed
Old 05-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #9
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Should note that the last game last night had 3 pitchers taken out for 6 months 8 months 12 months all from same game .... thankfully I built up my minors to cover the insane injuries rate
Old 05-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #10
Charley575
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
I get that. There will always be a handful of teams that get dealt a raw deal with injuries, but I was talking about a built-in runaway effect in the game.
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #11
hibees70
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Totally agree.Injuries are ridiculous.Five players injured over three days.
hibees70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:44 PM   #12
henry296
All Star Reserve

If people have read my posts, I've been pushing for more injuries but I agree that is also out of control at least in the MLB quick start. Just finished simming 2017 and there are around 330 players on the injury list.

Yesterday, post-patch I started a historical 2016 league to test and there were about 170-180 players. The fact that the QS generates nearly 2x suggests an issue.

Last edited by henry296; 05-18-2017 at 10:49 PM. Reason: typo
henry296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:11 PM   #13
henry296
All Star Reserve

Here is a good article on historical DL data. In 2016 players were placed on the DL 561 times or about 19 times per team and is increasing each year.

http://www.conteanalytics.com/blog/t...-disabled-list

Here is the number of players on the DL by month in that 2017 Quick start i referenced above.

April: 71
May: 102
June: 94
July: 81
August: 96
September: 102
October: 14

The total is 560.

Now maybe the length of the injuries is too long which is a little hard to measure in the game, but the frequency of injuries actual is realistic.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:23 PM   #14
henry296
All Star Reserve

In part 2 of that blog, they tracked the average injury length at 55 days and it has been constant over the last 19 years.

http://www.conteanalytics.com/blog/t...ed-list-part-2
Old 05-18-2017, 11:55 PM   #15
henry296
All Star Reserve

To follow-up... I just noticed that my injured player count included a number of minor leaguers who were put on the 60 day DL. Not sure that move is necessary but probably explains over 300 players on that report. They are not included in the DL placement count.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:36 AM   #16
swoboda
All Star Starter

I always play single season so I have little patience for too many players on the shelf or out for the season. as a result I also jump into commish mode and reduce the severity . Would be nice if that was a second option on injuries "limit severity to X days"

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:02 AM   #17
henry296
All Star Reserve

I simmed ahead to 2027 and counted the DL placements. There were 603 that year, so about 7% more than in 2017. Maybe a little out of control, but not crazy relative to reality especially if the trend continues like it has in the past 10 years.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #18
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Yeah, we have this discussion every year

The fact is that we actually generate fewer injuries than in real life on the default settings to keep complaints like this down a bit.

It's just that lot of folks just don't realize just how many injuries there actually are in reality.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #19
henry296
All Star Reserve

I think it needs just a small tweak. Just simmed 2017 QS and there were only 40 position players who appeared in 150 games compared to 84 in real life 2016 and only 60 appeared in 140 compared to 124 in real life.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #20
Lordofbrewtown
Minors (Triple A)

Maybe we need more options in the injuries settings?

My first impression is that injuries do seem worse to me. I play 78 game seasons with injuries set at very low (and edit the length to cut in half), and am half way through my first season using 18, and I have had about 2x as many season-ending injuries league wide as I've had in any season using16. I don't want to go injury free; but, would like the "very low" injury setting to be a bit lower (as I am running 32 team historical league starting in 77, so rosters are lean/not a lot of free agent options).

Also, I can see what is meant by the injury history. I've had to put Dennis Leonard on the DL for the 3rd time already. Seems like once he got that first one, now he's screwed.

I'd like to see either a "Rare" setting, or the "Very Low" setting having it's quantity of injuries cut by 1/3 to 1/2
Lordofbrewtown is offline   Reply With Quote