Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > MLB Manager 2018 > MLBM 2018 - General Discussions

MLBM 2018 - General Discussions Talk about MLB Manager 2018, the baseball management game for iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
abirch10
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Losing streaks?

Playing as the 2017 Tigers, and was rolling to a 45-26 start, with a comfortable division lead.

Had an extra innings game in Seattle where I scored in the top of the 12th, they extended in the bottom. Then I scored 3 in the 13th, and they walked it off by scoring 5 in the bottom.

Probably the craziest game I've had. But since then I can't win a damn thing. To the point I'm wondering if it's a glitch. Took half a season to get 19 games over .500 and since that one game I'm 3-23 and under .500. To the point I just lost 5-4 to the Twins when they hit 4 consecutive solo HRs in the 9th off four different pitcher.

I can't imagine the game is sophisticated enough to have that game be completely devastating. Only roster change is JD Martinez and Jordan Zimmermann to the DL, but I traded for Rick Porcello, so the rotation should be better if anything. I've played every game to date, and wonder if it's just fluky, or if anyone else had this, like they almost don't want people to play the hell out of the $5 app version, so at some point you just start losing. I'm sure that not right? Right?
abirch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
Panchobamba
Minors (Double A)

Reminds me of the first time I ever played this game, 5 years ago. I started off 25-3 with a mediocre Phillies team, posted my opinion to this forum that AI was goofy, then - HA! - played .500 ball the rest of season but managed to squeak out a World Championship.
IRL I once played in a game, bottom of ninth, two out, losing 10 to 0. We won, 11-10.
The game is a remarkable recreation of baseball. I don't think there's any nefarious plot by developers, it's just the unpredictable nature of baseball. It took a bad hop!
Panchobamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
abirch10
Minors (Rookie Ball)

After dropping 24 of 27, turned it around with a 3 game sweep of KC, only to lose Kinsler and Iglesias to 4 week injuries on back to back plays at second base. If it's not one thing, it's another.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
Panchobamba
Minors (Double A)

Let us know how it all works out. My Phillies are finally out of a month long funk.
Panchobamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
abirch10
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Followed the Royals sweep with a sweep of Houston, but have dropped the first two in the Bronx.

Moved my top prospect Matt Manning, and my 4th OF, Stephen Moya, to Colorado, for CF Raimel Tapia. Immediate upgrade in center, and he's young and under team control. He has been absolutely raking, forced into the leadoff spot with Kinsler and Iglesias out. Through 7 games he's hitting almost .400 with 2 HR.

I was really enjoying it, my first year playing, but you get to where you lose 24 of 27, and you do kind of want to give up though.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
abirch10
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I don't know I'm on another 14 game losing streak, now 60-71 overall. That means 15-45 over my past 60.

Games aren't even close. I'm down 14-1 in the 4th inning to the Rockies now. My team commits 3+ errors a game. My pitchers at one point had a streak of 18 consecutive balls thrown. I lost 3 players to the DL in the same game. My starters, on full rest, are getting tired at 50ish pitches, so I have to use the pen for like 5 innings every game. . Nonethis feels even remotely realistic anymore.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:55 PM   #7
abirch10
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Maybe this is designed to not play out every game?

Season 3 now, and once again, in the crapper out of the gate. Every pitcher I have has an ERA over 7, walk rates of nearly one an inning. Through 11 games of the season I've given up at least a dozen back to back HRs, and already three back to back to back. You can't even strategize when starters can't make it through two innings. And this is Porcello, Fulmer, Zack Wheeler. Not scrubs. Chances the default settings for playing every game aren't right? Assuming most don't micro manage that level.

Obviously I'm into my third season, so I'm playing it, but the enjoyment of getting regularly clubbed 11-4 is wearing thin.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #8
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirch10 View Post
Maybe this is designed to not play out every game?

Season 3 now, and once again, in the crapper out of the gate. Every pitcher I have has an ERA over 7, walk rates of nearly one an inning. Through 11 games of the season I've given up at least a dozen back to back HRs, and already three back to back to back. You can't even strategize when starters can't make it through two innings. And this is Porcello, Fulmer, Zack Wheeler. Not scrubs. Chances the default settings for playing every game aren't right? Assuming most don't micro manage that level.

Obviously I'm into my third season, so I'm playing it, but the enjoyment of getting regularly clubbed 11-4 is wearing thin.

I can't explain your results. I play out every game and the only thing I ever noticed that happens somewhat regularly is that if a relief pitcher is on a "hot streak" 7 times out of 10 he either gets pounded or walks 2 of the first 3 batters he faces then gives up a couple of hits. Otherwise I have some peaks and valley's but nothing like you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edster007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
NYYANKS98
Minors (Double A)

Have you made sure your pitching rotation is correctly set and not missing spots?
NYYANKS98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #10
abirch10
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYANKS98 View Post
Have you made sure your pitching rotation is correctly set and not missing spots?
Yup. Fulmer had a sweet 8 BB in 2.2 IP outing most recently. Pulled him and my reliever opened with back to back bases loaded walks.