Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #21
Woodman19
Minors (Single A)

I will often have to trade some good prospects to clear the bad contracts off the books so I can reinvest those dollars into scouting and player development.
Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:40 AM   #22
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Trade Alert!

So I broke my own rule of no trades until June when I moved pieces for Vazquez, and now I have made another move.

Oakland receive:
RHP Koda Glover
3B Drew Ward

Nationals receive:
RHP Ryan Madson
CF Kenny Wilson

Rationale - I moved Madson mainly due to his big 2yr contract and the fact that he's not manning a high-leverage role in my 'Pen. Kenny Wilson is 27yrs old and toiling in AA making him an easy throw-in. Getting Glover in return works as he's making league minimum, is younger at 24, has high potential, and has options. Drew Ward is a project 3rd Baseman who can compete with Matt Chapman as the "3rd Baseman of the Future" (must say with a deep penetrating voice).

Glover gets sent to AAA and is instantly the team's new Closer, Ward goes down to AA. I replace Madson in the rotation with Bobby Wahl who gets promoted from AAA. He's got great stuff and mediocre command. He'll be a low-leverage Middle reliever for now.

Onwards and upwards, to Houston at least.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #23
tjwang
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
I'm currently at Spring Training in the 4th season of my A's save. Year 1 lost 102 games, year two went 78-84, and year 3 went 87-75. Some tips, check the waiver wire. Don;t expect to win in year 1. Sell off all that you can. In free agency look for bargains. I was able to sign Michael Brantley for 2 years/6 million. At the start anyway, platoon, platoon, platoon. Try to shrewd in your trades. Know what you want to give up and what you want to hold onto. The A's have a surplus of pitching right now, if you decide that you don't want to compete until 2019 (like I did in my save) I would flip some SP's to try and load up on assets. I didn't move Gray and instead lost him to free agency because in year 3 we were 1 game out of the wildcard at the deadline, but if you are in 2019 and still not in a winning position, definitely flip him. I've been having a blast using the A's so far, it's a great challenge, definitely a different change of pace from using the Yankees that I used last game. Here are my lineups and pitching staff, but keep in mind that I'm in Spring Training, but the lineups and rotation are set to what they will be at Opening Day, assuming no injuries.

I do think my team last year was better, I am bit hesitant about how this team will do this season, my goal is to win the division this year. Also my rotation isn't in the correct order and I won't be using a 6 man rotation, that's just for Spring Training. As you can see the roster has definitely overturned in 4 years. Only 4 people in the lineup were there when I took over and only one pitcher I believe is still there from the start. A lot of moves, and all of these players except some bench players and relievers were acquired via trade or waiver wire pickups. The only big money I have given out is to my DH, an international guy but he's signed to a very team friendly contract. I am not paying Gurriel anything this season btw, as he got traded by the Astros and they retained 30% of his salary and when I picked him up from the White Sox they retained the rest of it, so I'm not paying him anything, definitely use the retain salary feature to your advantage as a small market/low budget team.

Hope this was of some value

How has Carson Fulmer developed?
tjwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #24
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

I'd say he's a borderline Ace. I since finished that season in the screenshot, and he had a good year, but wasn't the best pitcher on the team. Still, a very good pitcher and definitely could do worse. Here's a look at his stats and ratings
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #25
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Oakland A's update:

April 20th Trade:

Oakland receive:
2B Tim Beckham

Tampa receive:
2B Adam Rosales

Rationale: I like Tim Beckham. He's got a bit of speed, line-drive batter, defence. He can also spell Lowrie at 2B against lefties. Rosales is a bit too limited in the same categories. He's also older and more expensive.

As of May 1st my A's are occupying first in the AL West. I am trying to eek out every game to maximise my offence and limit my runs against.

The 'pen has been a mixed bag. My high-leverage guys take turns having horrible performances. Right now it is Liam Hendriks turn at being the goat.

Plouffe has been amazing with RISP, Semien shows glimpses of being a premiere player and Lambo is the current RBI guy having his cup of coffee in the 'Bigs. Ryon Healy had a few weeks earlier but got sent down due to the horrendous K rate. Lambo will probably last another week until I send him down and look for another option.

The lineup is an attempt at a Sabermetric order for now (placing your top OBP guy first, best hitter second, best power guy 4th, second best 5th, and third best 3rd).

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 09.38.02.png
Views: 577
Size:  509.2 KB
Old 03-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #26
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Enjoying this read...purchased game earlier in the week. Took control of A's. Not using Challenge Mode.

Working in early March of 2017. Trying to formulate how I want to handle things. The team is very weak with the bats. Do I try to gut the current roster and see what young prospects I can get in return? Perhaps move Vogt, Semien, Davis, K., Doolittle and Gray?

Owner established goal of playoffs in 2021...I have some time to get things together.
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #27
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra82 View Post
Enjoying this read...purchased game earlier in the week. Took control of A's. Not using Challenge Mode.

Working in early March of 2017. Trying to formulate how I want to handle things. The team is very weak with the bats. Do I try to gut the current roster and see what young prospects I can get in return? Perhaps move Vogt, Semien, Davis, K., Doolittle and Gray?

Owner established goal of playoffs in 2021...I have some time to get things together.
I'm certainly going to shop some of my better players in July to see if I can add some prospects to the team. Plouffe, and Doolittle for sure. I think I want to keep K Davis, Semien and Gray for now. For some reason I keep thinking Semien is going to be a beast. God knows why.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:03 AM   #28
DFyvie
Major Leagues

So it's June 1st 2017 in my A's franchise.

No further trades to discuss, and my team has fallen (predictably so) from First in the AL West to a respectable Third.

Injuries have made a couple of roster moves a necessity which is a nice way of seeing what you've got buried in your minors.

I've taken Yonder Alonso out of the starting lineup and moved Ryon Healy back up to the 'bigs to be a starting First baseman (Alonso now serves a defensive replacement in the later innings to protect the lead).

The only major lineup adjustment I've made is to put Joyce at the leadoff spot. He seems to be the only guy on the squad who takes pitches and works the count. So far it's been more of a success than Semien, Rajai Davis (who's currently injured), DeAza, or Lowrie. Szczur leads off against lefties and he's been doing quite a bit of damage there
since that move as well.

With an injury to Vogt, I've brought up Bruce Maxwell who is a great platoon partner with Christian Vazquez (both being a sure-hand behind the plate).

I'd like to hold off any future trades until at least July. Not too certain who I'd like to move at this time.. perhaps a few more high-priced relievers as I have some decent young arms toiling in AAA. All of this depends on where we are in the standings. I doubt we'll be as good in 6 weeks as we are now.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 10.50.21.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  177.0 KB
Old 03-31-2017, 10:39 AM   #29
mmarra82
Major Leagues

The A's just do not hit...on going problem.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:51 PM   #30
jaysfan17
Minors (Single A)

I came across this thread and I thought I'd give a shot at being the A's GM. Along with my jays franchise I'm doing an A's franchise and with each franchise mode I allow myself "one cheat". I went in commissioner mode and picked up Shohei Otani. I'm still dead last in my 2018 season, but so far Otani is my best hitter (DH) and starter. I don't know how I'm going to rebuild this team.
jaysfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #31
Shake Appeal
Minors (Double A)

I started a (GM-only) A's save last night in Challenge Mode and promptly went 4-11. Apart from grabbing one or two pieces off the waiver wire and tinkering with the minors, I haven't got involved much with the major league team, but I think I'm going to have to do something, because this is embarrassing.

Will probably just tank this year hard and see what I can get for some of the expensive relievers. I really, really want to keep Gray (at least until 2019), Doolittle, and Vogt, but anyone else can go. Curious what I can get for Axford/Madson, who are both doing unsustainably well at present. Alcantara, though...

Last edited by Shake Appeal; 03-31-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Shake Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:56 PM   #32
jaysfan17
Minors (Single A)

Last night I fired my pitching coach in the hopes that my rotation gets better. My question to any of you is how is Sonny Gray pitching for you guys? He hasn't been doing too well for me in 2017 and 2018. I was hoping for him to have a really good season than I'd trade him for some prospects.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:31 PM   #33
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysfan17 View Post
Last night I fired my pitching coach in the hopes that my rotation gets better. My question to any of you is how is Sonny Gray pitching for you guys? He hasn't been doing too well for me in 2017 and 2018. I was hoping for him to have a really good season than I'd trade him for some prospects.
until he walked in free agency, for me sonny gray had one season where the ERA was below 4.00, but his FIPs were always good so i kept him around
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #34
CMH
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to start one as the Reds. The A's crossed my mind but I wanted to be in the NL.

Is it normal to not have Spring Training in year one? Been a while since I've done a solo league.
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #35
msupoke
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH View Post
I'm going to start one as the Reds. The A's crossed my mind but I wanted to be in the NL.

Is it normal to not have Spring Training in year one? Been a while since I've done a solo league.
Yes. You can select the WCB in the league selection screen to by a little time, but no spring training games are played.
msupoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #36
jaysfan17
Minors (Single A)

I have a question(s) about the market size. I'm currently in the 2020 season for my A's game and we may make the playoffs in for the second year in a row and if that occurs I read somewhere that the market size will automatically, increase is that true? I remember it increased for me once in last years game, but I can't remember how I did it (without cheating). My theory is that bigger market sizes=more money for my franchise. Is the best way to increase market size to simply win?
Old 04-04-2017, 09:47 PM   #37
kev24fan
Major Leagues

On your A's league, how do you do the games? One week at a time or by each day?
kev24fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #38
mmarra82
Major Leagues

OK...going to try a re-start for the third time later today as I learn more of how I want to play this. I think the bottom line, the A's cannot hit in 2017. In my first two attempts they have been last or near last in every offensive category through the first two months of the season.

For the life of me I am not sure why the manager plays Phegley over over Vogt.

I have ran the team the first two times as GM only...thinking about allowing myself to control the lineups and pitching.

Thoughts?

As far as the roster, thinking of making Healy the regular first baseman with Alonso as the backup. May move Vogt to DH, play Phegley at catcher with Maxwell brought up to act as a backup. Might send Canha down and have a utility outfielder up as a reserve.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #39
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra82 View Post
OK...going to try a re-start for the third time later today as I learn more of how I want to play this. I think the bottom line, the A's cannot hit in 2017. In my first two attempts they have been last or near last in every offensive category through the first two months of the season.

For the life of me I am not sure why the manager plays Phegley over over Vogt.

I have ran the team the first two times as GM only...thinking about allowing myself to control the lineups and pitching.

Thoughts?

As far as the roster, thinking of making Healy the regular first baseman with Alonso as the backup. May move Vogt to DH, play Phegley at catcher with Maxwell brought up to act as a backup. Might send Canha down and have a utility outfielder up as a reserve.
I moved Vogt to the DH role and it worked, with Healy the starting 1B and Alonso was my defensive replacement.. though Healy isn't really bad at First.

For me the batting has been alright. It's been the pitching. Getting any of my starters to give me quality starts has been rare. The second year my bullpen is the best in the American League but my rotation is again horrible. Runs aren't too hard to come by for me, which is strange. I replaced my pitching coach and it's helped a bit. I'm currently 31 and 31 in 2018. Schrock has been a beast at leadoff and Barreto has been excellent. I moved Semien to 3B. Maxwell is my starting Catcher, and Vogt is my DH. I'm 5th in runs scored and my rotation is getting a bit better.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:43 PM   #40
Ghost Town
Minors (Single A)

I will have to try the A's challenge next.

I chose the Padres for my first game in OOTP 18 because they were 30th in budget and payroll.

I just finished my 10th season with the Padres. I have made the playoffs in 6 of the last 7 seasons and have 2 World Series titles.

Last edited by Ghost Town; 04-05-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Ghost Town is offline   Reply With Quote