Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:43 PM   #41
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Mr. Marlin, you said it the best!!!

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:05 AM   #42
Michael Xavier
Major Leagues

The P/R feature is my favorite addition in many years. As pointed out many times, it P/R occurs in Europe. It is the first thing I will do on Monday. Thanks, Markus!
Michael Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #43
MCF
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
until the AI is capable of using Players like Babe Ruth as both a Pitcher and a Hitter it still has work to be done!
I've been onboard since OOTP12 and have again pre-ordered the newest version. There is a lot of work that can still be done to improve the overall enjoyment, so I don't think that OOTP has gone as far as it can go.

I agree with Painmantle - the option to have Babe Ruth (or Shohei Otani) play the field on days that he's not pitching should be available.

Speaking of Otani, I'd like to be able to adjust the number of players posted from Japan. In my experience, posted players are few and far between.

I'd also like to see a news item at the end of the season of all players who have retired. I know that there is the occasional mid-season announcement that "Tubby Lardmore is calling it quits at the end of the year etc..." but I want to see an overview of all retired players at the end of the season. If a notable player retires mid-season, a special news item should make note of that immediately, otherwise, the player should be included in the end of season notice.
MCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #44
chuy1530
Minors (Single A)

There are still a lot of directions the game could go. It could get really in depth with coaches and training. It could get more in depth with scouting. The financial system could improve tremendously.

One way I personally would find really cool (but it's a long shot) would be them building up the college portion of the game and letting us play college coaches. Handling recruiting, players leaving, academics, etc. I don't think it's going to happen any time soon but it's a thing they could add before they ran out of baseball things to add.
chuy1530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #45
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuy1530 View Post
There are still a lot of directions the game could go. It could get really in depth with coaches and training. It could get more in depth with scouting. The financial system could improve tremendously.

One way I personally would find really cool (but it's a long shot) would be them building up the college portion of the game and letting us play college coaches. Handling recruiting, players leaving, academics, etc. I don't think it's going to happen any time soon but it's a thing they could add before they ran out of baseball things to add.
You can sort of do this now. Feeder leagues hire and fire team staff, including the player, just like the other levels. You can even recruit after a fashion since you can "sign" free agents of the appropriate age. It's not realistic in any way because the players automatically sign and you can take guys with pro-experience.

I would love to see feeders get fleshed out a little more in future versions. I realize why they are not often used. A big league with lots of minor league levels needs a hell of a lot of feeders to make a draft pool. These feeder teams are playing games, generating news, stats, players and history and chewing up game resources. Which are always finite. To say nothing of your computer's resources. But they do add a lot of value for stats only players by creating a real history for draft prospects.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #46
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Things that need to be in Game is set Team Budget meaning if I set my Teams at a Billion then don't have to be in Commissioner Mode to resign my guys. Also if GM still have A. GM sign my unsigned Free Agents. Also have owner say might sell team in News. Live Play by Play like in 2ksports Games Minus Annoucers. World Templates from past versions work in new version.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #47
chuy1530
Minors (Single A)

Yeah, I'm talking about really fleshing out the college part to where you could play as just a college coach and have a complete experience. College baseball isn't that big to most people so it isn't something I expect them to prioritize but I would geek out all over it.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #48
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

College World Series needs to be part of it. So does Random College Rosters,Drafted by Teams,Homegrown Teams.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #49
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

I'm very confused on how people can say that the game is as far as it can go. I'm going to assume that not many folks here have played Football Manager.

Just the immersion factor of being a General Manager or a Coach and being able to interact with your players, coaches, scouts, trainers, and the media goes an extremely long way and brings an entirely new level of immersion to games like this.

I'm actually very surprised this isn't already in this game.
joejccva71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #50
chuy1530
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71 View Post
I'm very confused on how people can say that the game is as far as it can go. I'm going to assume that not many folks here have played Football Manager.

Just the immersion factor of being a General Manager or a Coach and being able to interact with your players, coaches, scouts, trainers, and the media goes an extremely long way and brings an entirely new level of immersion to games like this.

OOTP has a pretty strong lineage from the old pen-and-paper baseball dice games people used to play, which (consciously or not, but I think probably the former) leads to them having a much more analytical and "hard numbers" approach toward the game versus the more fuzzy feeling in Football Manager. Also helping this along is that baseball is full of repeating discrete situations that can be measured, sliced apart and graded very finely whereas soccer is a more fluid game.

That being said, that is another direction OOTP could grow. There's already things like team chemistry and news stories, they could work a lot more of that in.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #51
metsguy234
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuy1530 View Post
OOTP has a pretty strong lineage from the old pen-and-paper baseball dice games people used to play, which (consciously or not, but I think probably the former) leads to them having a much more analytical and "hard numbers" approach toward the game versus the more fuzzy feeling in Football Manager. Also helping this along is that baseball is full of repeating discrete situations that can be measured, sliced apart and graded very finely whereas soccer is a more fluid game.

That being said, that is another direction OOTP could grow. There's already things like team chemistry and news stories, they could work a lot more of that in.
To me, the constant choose your own adventure type feel of Football Manager can get a little annoying. Although I think a lot of that is due to press interactions and locker room turmoil being given crazy amounts of significance in real-world football for some reason.
metsguy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #52
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

Comes down to the size of the coding staff. FM has teams of coders, OOTP until recently was just Markus for the game itself and Andreas for online (?). Matt came on 2 years ago along with a coder to develop the 3d portion of the game. As sales increase so will staff and more things can and will be added.

You might be surprised at how many here have played FM
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:51 PM   #53
Reggie
Major Leagues

Maybe we have run out of features that make you think it's the best thing that has ever happened to you. But there are tons of things that can still be done. Just having a keep warm feature for a pitcher warming up in the bullpen (when I don't need him as quickly as I thought) would make me buy a new version.

Maybe I am in the minority but the 3D graphics was a huge selling point for me last year. How many times can I read the umpire has a deep baritone voice before in becomes monotonous? Little additions to the graphics will also keep me buying.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:37 AM   #54
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
You might be surprised at how many here have played FM
A lot of people, at one time or another, I suspect. I haven't since about 2014.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 AM   #55
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:

Give me FM's budget and you get whatever you desire within two years.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #56
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Give me FM's budget and you get whatever you desire within two years.
Don't get me wrong. You guys have made a fantastic gem of a simulation of real world baseball. I was simply interdicting what some folks are saying about that there isn't much left to develop in this game, when in fact there is...of course given a good enough budget to code it.
joejccva71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #57
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. You guys have made a fantastic gem of a simulation of real world baseball. I was simply interdicting what some folks are saying about that there isn't much left to develop in this game, when in fact there is...of course given a good enough budget to code it.
There is a LOT still that can be improved. However, it is getting very difficult to add anything brand new, as most headline features that one could imagine are already in the game in some form or another.

One thing I would love to see one day is a 3D ballpark construction kit. That will be awesome
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #58
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
I think without a financial "tycoon" element I have purchased my last version.

After 10 years I'm finally bored.
What is a financial tycoon element?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #59
zerfer
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Two things that i wouldn't mind is
- Schedule creator: In custom leagues it can be quite a drag to get a schedule to click
- Rivalries of some kind: as someone who do fictional leagues a lot, it would be nice to add that feature to make the league more lively
- Forgot to mention a location editor. Many of the coordinates on specific locations were off the market in OOTP 16 and placed in the ocean or something like that.

Last edited by zerfer; 03-20-2017 at 08:43 AM.
zerfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 AM   #60
nico1270
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
What is a financial tycoon element?
I think he's referring when a new owner purchases a team and gives you "unlimited" dollars to operate. Like some teams in the Premier League.
nico1270 is offline   Reply With Quote