Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #61
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

I'm working on a setup I found on a blog (and I lost the link).

Basically, you add "Premier League Baseball" as a level above MLB, w 10 reputation, and put the top (by finish in prior year or market size as you see fit) 8 teams from the AL and NL in different subleagues in PLB.

Then you compact the teams in MLB into two 8 team leagues, adding the two top teams from AAA. The league rep should be 8 or so (depending on what other leagues you might add, indy or international).

All the teams in PLB and MLB keep their A+ affiliates and their AZL/GCL rookie teams.

Each year, the top 2 teams in each subleague play off to see who plays in the championship for that league; the bottom 2 teams in each subleague play off in a consolation tourney. The two finalists from MLB are promoted to PLB; the 2 loser teams from PLB are demoted to MLB. The 2 loser teams from MLB are demoted to the C League: Challenge League Baseball.

The other 28 AAA teams and the 4 best AA teams go into a 32-team league with 2 subleagues of 2 8 team divisions : CLB, or C League. The top teams play off for promotion to MLB, while the bottom 4 play off to avoid relegation to D League. Each CLB team has 1 affiliate, an A- team from the MWL or SAL (I use Appy League teams to fill in).

The other AA teams and the top 4 A+ teams form Development League Baseball, the D League. They have a promotion tourney, and the top 2 go to C League. They have no relegation, and can post players for sale. Each has one minor league affiliate: from the NYPL, NWL, or Pioneer League. Appy league teams fill in here too.

It's probably not the most efficient thing ever; the minor league players for the C/D leagues have to be transferred to new team shells so that the team has all the financial info and attributes it needs.

Each level has its own draft with PCMs adjusted accordingly (i.e. 1.0 for PLB) and salary levels descending at each level. I'll limit the PLB, C League, and DLeague draft pools and include a single extra round in MLB for extra players. And reputation lowered accordingly from MLB.
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:43 PM   #62
Zamboni0721
Bat Boy

What I did with my P/R league was pretty simple: I just cut the minor league teams loose from their parent clubs and turned on the reserve roster system. Whichever players they had on their roster at the beginning of the season were theirs, congratulations. That means there's a shot that some of the big-time prospects stay in the lower tiers and makes those leagues a little more interesting.

My tiers were 28 teams apiece with no divisions. 162-game schedules meant 6 games against everyone else. Four teams were relegated/promoted at the end of the year. Very clean.

Now if you were to do a draft in a P/R league... I have some thoughts on an imperfect system:

Top tier gets the draft. It's a short draft, maybe 5 rounds, but this ensures that the top tier gets rewarded for being in the top tier. However, if you get relegated, you don't get to be in the draft. So the top 4 teams (using my previously mentioned system) of tier 2 get thrown into the draft, in the order they finish. So the top 5 picks would go like this:

1. Tier 2, #1
2. Tier 2, #2
3. Tier 2, #3
4. Tier 2, #4
5. Tier 1, #24

This rewards the 2nd Tier teams for winning and makes the crappier Tier 1 teams stronger as well. The relegation system makes it too risky to tank, and it gives the promoted Tier 2 teams a chance to get on even ground with the lower teams in their new league.

Also, trading between leagues is allowed and if you can, let teams trade picks in the draft to lower league teams (that way, high level guys stuck in lower leagues can be traded up for a chance at the draft).

I could throw another complication in there by requesting that the draft order for the unrelegated Tier 1 teams be compiled according to the Gold System... but theoretically the year-to-year threat of relegation combined with a short draft should be a strong enough deterrent to win at the end of the season.
Zamboni0721 is offline   Reply With Quote