Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
jparker2112
All Star Reserve

Do retired players die?

so ive got some dudes who are 185 years old...is there a death button i need to click? seems odd
jparker2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

their 'current' ratings aren't mlb-capable are they? no, they don't die. i think some people think that's 'mean' or something, lol. so, they just avoid it.

retirement = death in ootp.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #3
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I have created an analog process for my primary (fictional) save for just this reason, identifying dates of death and causes of death for former players in my league.

But at this point there is no way that I know of to have this reflected in the game.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
jparker2112
All Star Reserve

its not a bid deal...just kind of funny that i can look at a guy who is 185 and has ratings still!

side question...how to i make a two way player show up in the pitching AND lineup windows? I have two way players selected in the options but Ohtani isnt showing up on both windows for some reason
jparker2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #5
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Death is not a possibility in this game. There is not even a field for Death Date in the database. I wonder if they get bored, just hanging out.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
sdw1000
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Ballplayers don't die, they just fade away....lol
sdw1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I heard they go play in a field in Iowa
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #8
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

They used to. Many versions ago
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #9
oldcatcher
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Location: Virginia, USA under a bridge in a van down by the river
If they move next to C.C. Sabathia they might turn up missing, he loves to eat.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:56 PM   #10
Cactusguy21
Major Leagues

Owners die, but not players, I find that hilarious.
Cactusguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #11
Scoman
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
I heard they go play in a field in Iowa
Yes ..This is true except for Ty Cobb of course...They told him to stick it....
Scoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:28 PM   #12
andyhdz
All Star Starter

this topic has been brought up before and talked about to...wait for it...death. Because of using real mlb players they made a decision not to have a death date.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #13
Tazilon
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker2112 View Post
so ive got some dudes who are 185 years old...is there a death button i need to click? seems odd
They dont die. They move to the perfect team league
Tazilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 PM   #14
StLee
Hall Of Famer

My Date with Rip

We sat in the Field Terrace section of Target Field for a game with the Red Sox visiting the Twins. In front of us was the old man who had come into my father, or as I called him, Pops’ care. The old man had been deaf for thirty years, and mostly blind. Long streams of white hair poured out of his ears and nostrils.

“He used to be in the Bigs, you know,” Pops said, pointing at the man slowly raising popcorn to his toothless mouth.

I looked at the tiny frame hunched over in the wood wheelchair and chuckled to myself. That a man 132 years old could have ever picked up a glove was beyond me.

“How long since he retired, Pops?”

“Well, he didn’t, really. More like he got to the Bigs, had a cup of coffee, and then he was done. But, to answer your question, he played 100 years ago.”

I stared at the ex-ballplayer. I figured he wouldn’t mind nor notice. I couldn’t imagine how a man barely above three-foot tall could have played ball.

“How did little people make it into the Bigs, Pops?”

Pops smiled wide. “He wasn’t always that way. Old people shrink, you know, just like ole Rip here. In fact, legend says they keep on shrinking, right up until you can put them in your shirt pocket like a hamster.”

Pops went on to tell me all about Rip. He told me how he was an up and coming player out of St. Thomas University. He bounced around in the minors for years before getting a call up with the Boston Braves in 1918. During his time with the Braves, he made 14 total appearances, mostly as a pinch hitter. In 24 official at bats, he only had four hits. He got his one shot but couldn’t make it stick. It was the last time he would smell the Bigs.

“Had a perfect record on the basepaths, though,” Pops chuckled. “One try, one steal.”

I asked Pops how he knew so much about this Rip Conway, the tiny man from Minnesota. Pops told me that he had become a collector and Rip was on his list.

“Baseball players have magic sprinkled on them, son,” Pops said. “They’re born. They play. They live on like magic creatures. Right up until they shrink up into dust, they still live on forever. Like the mahogany on Rip’s chair, like the dinosaur bones dug deep in the earth, baseball players live on.

“You play, son, you spend a second in the Bigs, and you get sprinkled with that magic, too.”

The big question then. The one I wanted to know most. “So they don’t die?”

“They can’t, son. That magic is so powerful, they sit right here beside us, aged gods among us. Their heartbeats keep beating, their breaths keep flowing in rattled clunks reminding us always of that magic, like a perpetual machine. No, son, baseball players don’t die. They can’t. They’re forever etched in our reality, old rivers carving out canyons in ancient volcanoes. They’re magic, son. They’re eternal.”

Current dynasties: Fallout 4's Commonwealth Baseball Organization

Completed dynasty: Fallout: New Vegas' Mojave Baseball League

Uniforms: My custom uniforms
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote