Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #61
GrimmyDee
Major Leagues

I would have loved to ctrl-alt-del the Indians game last night....
GrimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #62
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt View Post
Is that a good or bad thing?
FM is tough, and so is OOTP (a good thing, yes) but you get people constantly complaining because they can't just win they way they want, and consequently blame the AI of cheating.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #63
curt
Major Leagues

I'm pretty sure most of these comments are tongue-in-cheek, my comments are for sure. It's great to vent frustrations occasionally. I'm Canadian which makes me too polite to complain. No doubt aboot it. Sorry. Sorry. Eh.
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #64
daves
Hall Of Famer

I am sure the AI cheats. The Indians were up 3-1 in the World Series and then lost 4 games to 3 when 2 of the games were at home. Then the next season the Indians have the best record and are up 2 games to none in the ALDS only to lose 3 games to 2.

Wait, that was real life? But I am sure the AI had something to do with it?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #65
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
I am sure the AI cheats. The Indians were up 3-1 in the World Series and then lost 4 games to 3 when 2 of the games were at home. Then the next season the Indians have the best record and are up 2 games to none in the ALDS only to lose 3 games to 2.

Wait, that was real life? But I am sure the AI had something to do with it?
We are all living in the matrix and the AI cheats in real life.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #66
redranger
All Star Reserve

Watching the AI cheat Washington in the fifth inning tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #67
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

I signed the best shortstop in the free agent class in the recent offseason I went through. He's in his early 30s and is on a borderline Hall of Fame career arc. Midway through spring training, he broke a finger and was supposed to miss four weeks. With three days left, I got a message saying he suffered a setback and was going to miss three more months after re-injuring the finger while doing some drills and now requires surgery. I didn't take that as the AI cheating. I took it as the AI delivering a cold dose of reality.

Also, I'm the GM of the Mets, so it's even more realistic.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #68
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

LOL!
I still dont care what any of you guys say.
The AI still cheats its A$$ off!

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #69
Danius
Minors (Double A)

I can't get any Hall of Famers with the injuries at "normal". Having played many a season in OOTP18, I have started to prefer injury probability over ratings. I try to choose "Durable" players whenever I can, in may cases, sacrificing productivity and talent level.

In my current fictional save, I've played 13 seasons. I had a fantasy draft at the start of it. My first round pick was a pitcher, who for me, seemed the most dominant pitcher available in the draft, and he was only 22. I was ecstatic when I got him at #20 overall. He dominated the first season, but lost out on the Cy Young, finishing 2nd. My team record probably hurt him, as a few injuries on the team meant we finished 4th in the division, 77-85. The next season, my pitcher was probably already leading in the Cy Young race, but it was once again close with the pitcher who won it the year before. It was the last day of the season, I was one game out of first, and my only chance to make the playoffs was for us to win, and Detroit to lose, forcing a one-game playoff for the division. I pitched my #1, figuring I needed to get the win, plus padding his stats a bit to ensure him the Cy Young wouldn't hurt. He threw one pitch, tore his labrum, and was expected to be out 12-15 months (he dropped from Durable to Normal). He ended up winning the Cy Young. The next season, in September, he was about to make a comeback (much needed as we were playoff bound, but pitchers were dropping like flies), he reinjured himself working out; out another 15 months (he dropped from Normal to Wrecked). He only pitched in 15 more games over the next three seasons, never once going two full starts without getting injured for weeks, and retired due to injuries, at 28 years old.

In my third season (while my #1 starter is on the shelf), my #4 starter becomes a beast. I drafted him as a young, promising pitcher, but I didn't expect him to become top of the rotation material, and certainly not this fast. He was only 21. He anchored my rotation, leading us to a World Series win. The next season, he won the Cy Young by a landslide, going 24-2 (1.81 ERA, 0.78 WHIP). His record over those two seasons was 43-8, with a 2.23 ERA and 0.87 WHIP. In Spring Training the next season, he tore his labrum, and was out for the year. He ended up missing almost two full seasons before coming back (after a couple of setbacks), and was never the same. In the two seasons while he was out, his rating went from 74 (out of 80) to 52. He never posted a season with an ERA less than 5.00 after that, and was out of the game at 27 years old, as he was completely ineffective as a pitcher, despite the fact he didn't have any injury issues, after finally coming back from the labrum tear.

In season #6, my former #1 pick from the season 2 amateur draft finally started playing to his capabilities, and made the opening day roster as a starter. He was a five-tool CF, and he never once missed a game with injury in 4 seasons in the minors (rated Durable). He had three MVP caliber seasons in a row in his first three in the bigs, finally winning it in his third season. He hit .376, had an OBP of .505, stole 78 bases, hit 55 doubles, and drove in 146, all MLB records in my fictional world (they still are 5 years later). He also hit 38 homers and won his second Gold Glove. However, in Spring Training the next season, he got injured, and is out 6-8 months. He looked like he was going to return in September, but had a setback, therefore missing the entire season. After the setback, he drops to Fragile, and the next season, he dealt with at least one day-to-day injury in every single game all season, although he never missed a game due to injury (I sat him every once in a while, hoping to get him healthy, but it was always my decision to sit him). After being the best player in all of baseball for three seasons (seasons 6-8), by season 11, he was not even starter material anymore. I let him go after his contract ran out after season 11, and he played one season elsewhere, before going unsigned and finally retiring during season 13, at 29 years old.

The best pitcher in the game is a guy who plays for Detroit (ironically, his last name is Fulmer). Despite being 39 years old now, and having been rated "Fragile" since day one, he's never had anything more than a nagging injury, and that's only happened a handful of times in 13 seasons. He's pitched an average of over 220 innings a season, not including Detroit's many many postseason runs (they've won the World Series 4 times, and lost it twice). He's won the Cy Young 8 times.

I'm not allowed to dominate. I'm not allowed to have Hall of Famers. The AI still cheats...

Last edited by Danius; 10-20-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Danius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #70
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

AI doesn't cheat. AI gets help to compenstate for the fact a good human will be better than AI.

This is recognized by good game developers and has been present in well designed games for decades.

Remove the help? Take a look at what happened to the Matrix Edition of Gary Grigsby's Pacific War. And instead of putting the help back in when they realized they screwed up, they instead recommended all games be played with the setting of Max Help for AI.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #71
Danius
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
AI doesn't cheat. AI gets help to compenstate for the fact a good human will be better than AI.

This is recognized by good game developers and has been present in well designed games for decades.

Remove the help? Take a look at what happened to the Matrix Edition of Gary Grigsby's Pacific War. And instead of putting the help back in when they realized they screwed up, they instead recommended all games be played with the setting of Max Help for AI.
This thread is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. Most of us realize that a lot of this stuff really happens in MLB, and with all the players dedicated to the game, there are thousands, maybe even tens of thousands of OOTP games played for every real MLB game, so things are bound to happen in OOTP that have never happened in MLB before. Personally, I've at least doubled the number of games played in the history of MLB (250+ seasons). It's mostly just a way to let some of us vent, and for others to mention what kind of reaction they would have, if the improbable nature of what happened in MLB in real life had happened to them in game.

Last edited by Danius; 10-20-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #72
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danius View Post
This post is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. Most of us realize that a lot of this stuff really happens in MLB, and with all the players dedicated to the game, there are thousands, maybe even tens of thousands of OOTP games played for every real MLB game, so things are bound to happen in OOTP that have never happened in MLB before. Personally, I've at least doubled the number of games played in the history of MLB (250+ seasons). It's mostly just a way to let some of us vent, and for others to mention what kind of reaction they would have, if the improbable nature of what happened in MLB in real life had happened to them in game.

Hate to break up the fun with a serious response, but I believe AI does have advantages and they are justified.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #73
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

I have absolute evidence of an AI that Cheats its A$$ off.
This is Game 3 of my NLCS with my Mets and Giants!
THE AI IS A BACKSTABBING, NO GOOD, CONNIVING CHEAT!!!
You guys dont know how bad i wanted to ctrl-alt-del this game when the Giants scored the winning run!
Attached Images

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3

Last edited by rjl518; 10-19-2017 at 08:32 PM.
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #74
Danius
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl518 View Post
I have absolute evidence of an AI that Cheats its A$$ off.
This is Game 3 of my NLCS with my Mets and Giants!
THE AI IS A BACKSTABBING, NO GOOD, CONNIVING CHEAT!!!
You guys dont know how bad i wanted to ctrl-alt-del this game when the Giants scored the winning run!
Looks a lot like Jeurys Familia in the NL WC Game last season, no?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #75
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Was OOTP around in 1986 to cheat the Red Sox out of the 10th in Game 6?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #76
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Which is another testament to why OOTP AI is so realistic.

Let's face it...

Life cheats.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote