Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #41
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I will have to try the A's challenge next.

I chose the Padres for my first game in OOTP 18 because they were 30th in budget and payroll.

I just finished my 10th season with the Padres. I have made the playoffs in 6 of the last 7 seasons and have 2 World Series titles.

Nice job, sounds like you need to ramp up the settings for a challenge.
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:05 AM   #42
Ghost Town
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra82 View Post
Nice job, sounds like you need to ramp up the settings for a challenge.
How do I do that? I am playing with trades set to "hard" and AI trade frequency on "low."
Ghost Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #43
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
How do I do that? I am playing with trades set to "hard" and AI trade frequency on "low."
Scouting set to very low?

Hide some of the ratings?

Bump trading to very hard.
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #44
clamel
All Star Starter

Kind of fun trying to just GM a team, and not play a part on the field. I tried stepping into GM for Cubs in a 1989 Historical. Guess I ran into a Brad Pitt "Moneyball" situation with the crazy Mr. Zimmer.
The whole team crashed and reports of fist fighting in the clubhouse. Whatever I traded for and brought in by waiver wire Mr. Zimmer benched.
Had to take care of it like Brad Pitt, releasing and trading of Zimmers favs, but ended giving the crazy old goat the boot himself.
Very sad then the game only have true real manager for the MLB teams for the year you start your sim in.
All the free ones was rubbish. Could have been much better game with true managers that you could sign to get your team back on tracks.
Lets hope this part (GM only) gets better over the coming versions.
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #45
Royalsusedtorule
Minors (Triple A)

Saw this thread and decided to take a whack at A's. I simmed 2017 season and, basically, traded all of Oakland's upcoming free agents for best young players I could get. Exceptions: Signed Yonder Alonso for 2 years at $4.2M per and let Lowrie walk as FA since could only get trade offers for other older, higher-$$$ players.
Was able to acquire Abraham Almonte from Cleveland, along with young 3B Yandy Diaz, and am starting Almonte in CF in '18 as a stopgap. Also acquired some promising young players in Chad Kuhl, Jandel Gustave, Dominic Smith and Reyes Montoya, but all are starting '18 in minors.
Signed Jose Reyes for one year ($2.5M) to play 3rd base and lead off while prospects continue to develop. Also drafted OF Anthony Santander from Baltimore in Rule 5. Promoted prospects Franklin Barretto, Max Schrock, Bruce Maxwell, Matt Olson, Jake Smolinski and Bobby Wahl after all saw some MLB action in 2nd half of '17.
So, opening '18 I have a basic lineup of Reyes (3B), Alonso (1B), Khris Davis (LF), Olson (RF), Almonte (CF), Chris Parmalee (DH), Maxwell (C), Schrock (2B), Barretto (SS). Starting with a pretty strict platoon at C with Josh Phegley/Maxwell and a loose platoon in RF with Smolinski/Olson. Marcus Semien back up SS, 2B, 3B and playing 3 times per week.
Starting rotation is Sonny Gray, Sean Manaea, Jharel Cotton, Chris Bassitt, Jesse Hahn. Pen with Sean Doolittle, Liam Hendricks, Ryan Dull, Wahl, Daniel Coloumbe, Cesar Valdez and Miguel Castro (trade acquisition '17 deadline from Colo.). Closer by committee with Wahl, Doolittle and Dull, Hendricks main setup, along with those 3. Coloumbe mainly lefty matchup, Valdez long relief and mop-up and Castro filling in gaps.
Off to an 8-2 start in 2018, playing all games out and managing. Small sample size so far, but it's a nice start anyway . A few players off to unsustainable starts, but a few others off slowly, so hopefully it balances out. Also buying time for some of the young trade acquisitions from last year (Smith, Moronta, Diaz, Gustave, Kuhl, Max Fried, Aristides Aquino), as well as holdover prospects Healy, Nunez, Montas, Chapman, Holmes, Puk, etc. Plus, still have Kendall Graveman in AAA since he sucked it up big time in '17 and spring training. Could use him as future trade bait.
All in all, I think it looks fairly promising. But you never know for sure
Royalsusedtorule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #46
killxmike
Bat Boy

I got interested in this too because of this thread lol.

I traded away everyone I could to get young players and draft picks. I had the worst record in the league in year 1 and received a challenge mode score of 1 ahahaha...

Season 2 is about to start, and some of my young talent are starting to look decent.

Some Young Talen (some i traded for, some from A's originally)t:
Bradley Zimmer in CF
Franklin Barreto at SS
Max Schrock at 2B
Matt Olson at 1B
Max Muncy at 3B/UTIL
Bruce Maxwell at C

I still have Kris Davis and Matt Joyce roaming around for now and i signed Jhonny Peralta for a 3B/UTIL veteran for 1 year stop gap.

I will have to hope the young guys pan out before I get fired
I have about 4 more 4 Star+ prospects left in minors and several 3 star. I think I will turn a corner soon if I still have a job.

My Rotation needs work and some health.

At the moment i have:

Sonny Gray
Sean Manaea
Jesse Hahn
Jharel Cotton
Frankie Montas

*Edit, I was confusing this with my Brave's career. 2018 season actually hadn't started yet I was seeing my poor .300 record from 2017

Last edited by killxmike; 04-07-2017 at 12:26 PM.
killxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #47
Shake Appeal
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxmike View Post
Bradley Zimmer in CF
Yeah, I traded for Zimmer and he's been great.
Shake Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #48
BigE
Bat Boy

Just started an A's season and wanted thoughts on the following trade I've set up with the Pirates:

A's receive

RF Gregory Polanco
RHP Tyler Glasnow
LHP Felipo Rivero
2B Alen Hanson
C Samuel Inoa

Pirates receive
RHP Sonny Gray
RHP Kendall Graveman
3B Renato Nunez
RHP Logan Shore
LHP Daniel Coulombe

Would you go through with it?
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #49
Royalsusedtorule
Minors (Triple A)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Just started an A's season and wanted thoughts on the following trade I've set up with the Pirates:

A's receive

RF Gregory Polanco
RHP Tyler Glasnow
LHP Felipo Rivero
2B Alen Hanson
C Samuel Inoa

Pirates receive
RHP Sonny Gray
RHP Kendall Graveman
3B Renato Nunez
RHP Logan Shore
LHP Daniel Coulombe