Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:33 PM   #1
kjb023
Major Leagues

So what is the point of requesting a scouting report?

Seems like it just gives me information that I already know...
kjb023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
pgjocki
All Star Starter

It updates the information to give you a more current reflection.

Imagine that your scouts prepare a report at the beginning of the season for each player in the world. Those reports are generic in nature and in most cases are inline with the OSA reports.

When you ask for a report you are tasking your team to get a more specific look - at least that is how I treat it.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:40 PM   #3
kjb023
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
It updates the information to give you a more current reflection.

Imagine that your scouts prepare a report at the beginning of the season for each player in the world. Those reports are generic in nature and in most cases are inline with the OSA reports.

When you ask for a report you are tasking your team to get a more specific look - at least that is how I treat it.
But they don't actually change anything, though. The scouting report has the same information that's on any given player's profile page.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
absurddoctor
Minors (Double A)

With the default settings for how often your scout updates their reports, it is probably not much use. You can set that to be less frequent though, and if you do that asking for specific scouting reports would be much more useful.

It might also be useful for taking a look at international players other team's scouts find, but I've never tried doing that.
absurddoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
My scouting is set for every 2 months so yeah not going to see huge changes on already scouted players.

I play out all of my games so check news daily and when there is a "team x discovered player y" I usually get a report on them.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

I have seen small, but noticeable changes when requesting scouting reports on players in the amateur draft.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

there are good situations for it...

e.g. when youmake a trade in the offseason, it's very wise to update ratings before pulling trigger. during that long-period off, players change more often, i believe. at the very least, if not elevated, the amount of time between reports is much longer, so still a good idea.

during the season, it probably doesn't help much. probably more important to use on the 'young' or 'old' etc.

the offseason is when someone typically gets fat, so it makes sense if they make that time period a bit more volatile through TCR and/or effects of work ethic etc etc wahtever else applies..

i do monthly reports, but in offseason it's day 1, then jan 1st then preseason and ST, then monthly? something to that effect. crazy stuff happens between jan 1st and ST.

Last edited by NoOne; 12-04-2017 at 06:05 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

how many players did you request on before making that assessment? It is true that if your reports update every month or two, you're not going to see a big jump. My league updates at the start and end of the season only, so it's useful to use if you want to see how a player looks before calling him up in june, for example

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:16 AM   #9
kjb023
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
how many players did you request on before making that assessment? It is true that if your reports update every month or two, you're not going to see a big jump. My league updates at the start and end of the season only, so it's useful to use if you want to see how a player looks before calling him up in june, for example
I think I was unclear in what I was talking about with the scouting reports. What I mean is, when I right-click on a player and click "Request Scouting Report," when the report comes in a few days later it just describes all the same ratings I can see on the Player Profile. For example, if somebody has a good power potential rating on their profile, the scouting report I request on them will say something like "Player has plus raw power and has the chance to be a run producer." I'm wondering why I would need the scouting report then, instead of just looking at the guy's profile.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #10
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

no, you were clear. those scouting reports in game are updated based on your settings. if you have infrequent updates, i can be worth it to request one

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

Old 12-06-2017, 04:40 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

a large change can occur in just 1 day. it just isn't likely, but also another good reason to request a report for the most up-to-date info possible. why make a decision with less?

*some situations may not allow the time for it. obviously excluded

for the record, i don't bother often. but i also do most of my trading day 1 of offseason or day one of ST etc.. so i have a fresh report 99% of the time. i have no habit of doing it, which is the reason for the other 1% when i don't.

Last edited by NoOne; 12-06-2017 at 04:41 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:51 PM   #12
snepp
All Star Starter

I have report updates set to "Rare", so a there will often be very long gaps between scouting updates. Requesting reports is vital before making an important trade or signing a significant contract.

I've bit myself in the behind on multiple occasions by not doing my diligence and signing a guy with an 8-month old scouting report.
snepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 04:05 PM   #13
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Do you often dig up 6 year old threads?