Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #101
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Markus wins. Again. Like he does every stinkin' year. I haven't pre-ordered yet, but I will the moment I can swing the $35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiebaseballer View Post
Impressive feature list. However you missed out the Australian Baseball League. The Canberra Calvary beat both the *** and Korean champions in the Asia Series. So clearly they are deserving of inclusion.

I guess I'll have to keep updating it myself.
On the bright side, with the existing international leagues and the associated improvements, your manually-built ABL should be even better this time around!

I am SO looking forward to a game with all those international leagues and such included.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #102
WestyQld2
Bat Boy

Now that Japan, Korea & Taiwan all have real players (fantastic addition, will spend countless hours), I can start begging for the addition of the Australian Baseball League with real players?

Thanks Markus

Edit: Didn't see the posts above regarding ABL! Please, please, please!
WestyQld2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #103
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiebaseballer View Post
Impressive feature list. However you missed out the Australian Baseball League. The Canberra Calvary beat both the *** and Korean champions in the Asia Series. So clearly they are deserving of inclusion.

I guess I'll have to keep updating it myself.
We didn't miss it man. I'd love to have done the work needed to include the ABL. Given how much work the other leagues have been, the ABL would've been a piece of cake to include as well.

Problem is, the liberal use the ABL makes of players in affiliated ball means that OOTP would have to be re-coded to allow some sort of player loans. Markus has been quite definite that this would be a big mess to code and that he just can't get to it this year. I'm hopeful that we can get him to add this ability into a future version so we can include the real winter leagues and a WBC type tourney as well but we'll have to see if it'll end up being feasible or not.

I also really want indy leagues added to the roster set but that won't officially happen this year either. Anyhow I'm sure you'll agree that all the int leagues added this year are a huge step in the right direction.

Just to give you a little hope, making no promises, but if rl (which can be crazy busy in summer), the work I do on the int leagues and rest of the roster set, and the work I do on my NCAA roster mod allow me enough time, I'm seriously considering putting out a mod that'll include some indy leagues as well as the ABL and Caribbean Winter Leagues.

It would have the ABL and Caribbean Leagues with the players actually on their teams that aren't in affiliated ball and then they could just sign some FA's to fill out their rosters. If you can help with the ABL for that project, please send me a PM and we'll talk it over.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 01-25-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #104
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Of The Sixth View Post
Can someone please explain to me what Steam is?

Thanks
Very hot water vapour.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #105
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

I think this little feature will prove invaluable to users:

"New Ratings System

In previous versions of OOTP, the player ratings were absolute numbers based on the hidden internal player ratings. The problem with this approach was that you didn't know if a 60/100 power rating was actually above or below league average. OOTP 15 introduces a new optional rating system which calculates average player ratings for all positions at the start of the season and then displays player ratings throughout the game in relation to those averages. So, for example, you'll know that a 60/100 power rating is actually above the league average (which is always 50 in the 1-100 rating scale) - by one standard deviation, to be exact (for you math heads)."

This is great.

I do anticipate a complaint thread, or two, as ratings fluctuate in the season (like the complaints of the changing stars), but make no mistake, this an AWESOME addition. And in the awesome tradition of OOTP awesomeness, it is optional!

OOTP Rocks.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #106
tomwolf2008
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
We didn't miss it man. I'd love to have done the work needed to include the ABL. Given how much work the other leagues have been, the ABL would've been a piece of cake to include as well.

Problem is, the liberal use the ABL makes of players in affiliated ball means that OOTP would have to be re-coded to allow some sort of player loans. Markus has been quite definite that this would be a big mess to code and that he just can't get to it this year. I'm hopeful that we can get him to add this ability into a future version so we can include the real winter leagues and a WBC type tourney as well but we'll have to see if it'll end up being feasible or not.

I also really want indy leagues added to the roster set but that won't officially happen this year either. Anyhow I'm sure you'll agree that all the int leagues added this year are a huge step in the right direction.

Just to give you a little hope, making no promises, but if rl (which can be crazy busy in summer), the work I do on the int leagues and rest the roster set, and the work I do on my NCAA roster mod allow me enough time, I'm seriously considering putting out a mod that'll include some indy leagues as well as the ABL and Caribbean Winter Leagues.

It would have the ABL and Caribbean Leagues with the players actually on their teams that aren't in affiliated ball and then they could just sign some FA's to fill out their rosters. If you can help with the ABL for that project, please send me a PM and we'll talk it over.
I was thinking that the newly international league could be a starting point to eventually include international competition, glad to see you guys did think of that as well
tomwolf2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #107
oldtimey
Minors (Single A)

I'm hearing about a lot of additions and it all sounds great. But what about G A M E P L A Y? I stopped playing OOTP because it's presentation of an MLB baseball game was not acceptable and not at the level of other games I have experienced. I personally don't care about negotiating with free agents, the Rule 5 draft or trying to scout the next Ichiro during the *** season. If OOTP 15 isn't improved when it comes to the nine innings between the lines, I will keep my money. I know the addition of 3d graphics with ball-flight will improve the visual appeal, but I'm talking about improved play-by-play season interaction, properly implemented warmup/bullpen drama (ingame and day-to-day) and much improved strategic AI by the computer manager before and during games. This game's reputation has always been in it's ability to appeal to whatever whim its owner would fancy. I might be in the minority, to say the least, but I like to create my baseball history one season, one game, one inning, one pitch at a time. If there is no evidence of upgrades in the ingame presentation, then OOTP 15 ain't for me.
oldtimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #108
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimey View Post
I personally don't care about negotiating with free agents, the Rule 5 draft or trying to scout the next Ichiro during the *** season.
Hate to break it to you, but you're playing the wrong game if you don't care about that stuff. OOTP is a managerial sim first; that's why the focus is on the managerial elements.

That said, I'm sure there will be improvements in-game; there's always blanket AI improvements in every new release/patch.

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 01-24-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #109
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaGorilla View Post
I think this little feature will prove invaluable to users:

"New Ratings System

In previous versions of OOTP, the player ratings were absolute numbers based on the hidden internal player ratings. The problem with this approach was that you didn't know if a 60/100 power rating was actually above or below league average. OOTP 15 introduces a new optional rating system which calculates average player ratings for all positions at the start of the season and then displays player ratings throughout the game in relation to those averages. So, for example, you'll know that a 60/100 power rating is actually above the league average (which is always 50 in the 1-100 rating scale) - by one standard deviation, to be exact (for you math heads)."

This is great.

I do anticipate a complaint thread, or two, as ratings fluctuate in the season (like the complaints of the changing stars), but make no mistake, this an AWESOME addition. And in the awesome tradition of OOTP awesomeness, it is optional!

OOTP Rocks.
I am very curious how this will work...hopefully for the better.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #110
zukes
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
Pre-ordered:

OOTP Baseball 15 PC & Mac (OOTP15) (Platform_Independent)
Registration Information:
Serial Number: OOTP15-####-####-####-####-####
1 42.82 CAD 42.82 CAD
subtotal 42.82 CAD
tax 0.00 CAD
grand total 42.82 CAD

WORTH EVERY PENNY!

Agreed, but man, our dollar is going back to
or poop
zukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #111
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Well I pre-ordered.

My first version was OOTP9...and I simply cannot believe it has been 7 versions and over 6 years since i first "discovered" this game. Time goes by too fast.

Now just to clarify, we don't have to use steam, do we? If not I would be pretty upset as I have boycott them.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:21 PM   #112
BPS
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
Hate to break it to you, but you're playing the wrong game if you don't care about that stuff.....
I disagree. One can get great value out of OOTP even if you turn off things like free agency, rule 5 draft, and even certain types of scouting activity. Indeed, if you have free agency in a 1920s league you might be doing something wrong!
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #113
gabeeg
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I wasn't going to do it!

Since I have been satisfied with OOTP 14 I promised myself I would not purchase 15 until the All Star break discount...then I read the new features and pre-ordered...I am such weak, weak man.
gabeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:52 PM   #114
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestyQld2 View Post
Now that Japan, Korea & Taiwan all have real players ...
From my point of view they also need to have the respective leagues' actual playoff formats and roster rules...
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:00 AM   #115
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS View Post
I disagree. One can get great value out of OOTP even if you turn off things like free agency, rule 5 draft, and even certain types of scouting activity. Indeed, if you have free agency in a 1920s league you might be doing something wrong!
I think that's a totally different argument, though. I never said that the game couldn't be enjoyed without that stuff (oldtimey came closer to saying that than I did). My point was that, at its core, OOTP has been designed as a managerial sim, and therefore the in-game improvements generally take a backseat to the out-of-game ones.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 AM   #116
LouisSVillano
Minors (Double A)

I just pre ordered and am looking forward to those 2014 Opening Day major league team rosters!Thanks for all the hard work and constantly upping the bar!
LouisSVillano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:03 AM   #117
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeeg View Post
Since I have been satisfied with OOTP 14 I promised myself I would not purchase 15 until the All Star break discount...then I read the new features and pre-ordered...I am such weak, weak man.
This cracked me up. Heroin has nothing on OOTP.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:07 AM   #118
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Heroin has nothing on OOTP.
"OOTP...It's my life and it's my wife."

R. I. P. LR
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:49 AM   #119
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
From my point of view they also need to have the respective leagues' actual playoff formats and roster rules...
are they going to? Same with the new summer leagues.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 01-25-2014 at 01:52 AM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:52 AM   #120
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
are the going to? Same with the new summer leagues.
Don't know, but it's a point I intend to raise.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote