Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #41
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
Maybe but the Yankees haven't been that great recently.
You seem to be missing most of the points here. If racking up numbers for the Hall is important to Cole then going to either the Yanks or the Dodgers is a better option for Cole. Easier divisions, win now teams during his prime years.

This isn't meant to be a pro/con Yankee post.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:01 AM   #42
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
The Yankees are still paying Ellsbury this season
That still remains to be seen based off their statements of his alleged breach of contract
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #43
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoore46 View Post
LOL, no, but I think that the NY faithful got in Gray's head. Gray had a good year in Cincy once he got away from NY. Not everyone likes the spotlight that bright.
For the most part, players know what to expect in NY these days. Wives seem to control this more than the players themselves, too. I can't remember which pitcher a few years ago ruled out NYC because his wife didn't want to live there.

As to Gray, we may never know if he can pitch anywhere under the pressure of a pennant race.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #44
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoore46 View Post
LOL, no, but I think that the NY faithful got in Gray's head. Gray had a good year in Cincy once he got away from NY. Not everyone likes the spotlight that bright.
Yankee pitching coaches have a good gig.

If they can't get a player to be successful, it gets dumped on the player "not being able to handle the bright lights".

You never hear that excuse if a good pitcher goes to another team and doesn't perform well then moves on and regains his performance.

Nobody says "so-and-so couldn't handle Milwaukee".
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #45
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
For the most part, players know what to expect in NY these days. Wives seem to control this more than the players themselves, too. I can't remember which pitcher a few years ago ruled out NYC because his wife didn't want to live there.

As to Gray, we may never know if he can pitch anywhere under the pressure of a pennant race.
There was Cliff Lee, and it came out that (some) Yankees fans were spitting into the players' family section.

The Lee's said they wouldn't rule out New York because of that

https://www.espn.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5729471
Old 12-13-2019, 08:46 PM   #46
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Nobody says "so-and-so couldn't handle Milwaukee".
Milwaukee is one of the few cities with an MLB team that I doubt I could handle living in
Old 12-13-2019, 09:24 PM   #47
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Slap a cheque for $324m and I'd play baseball in Syria, I saw an headline How the Yankees wooed Cole they slapped a big cheque in front of him that will last his family for generations that's how. If theres such a thing as reincarnation I'm coming back as his grandson.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:21 AM   #48
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Slap a cheque for $324m and I'd play baseball in Syria,
I don't know why people make these kinds of statements and think they are saying something insightful.

Sure, you'd take $324 million and go to Syria.
That's because $324 is (most likely (NB4 "I make £5 million as a day trader")) like 100 times more than your second best offer.

So, that's not the question to ask if you'd go to Syria for $324 million. The question you should answer is if you'd go to Syria for like an 8% raise over what you're making now. Eight percent is about the difference between what Cole took and what we know to be his second best offer.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:22 AM   #49
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't know why people make these kinds of statements and think they are saying something insightful.

Sure, you'd take $324 million and go to Syria.
That's because $324 is (most likely (NB4 "I make £5 million as a day trader")) like 100 times more than your second best offer.

So, that's not the question to ask if you'd go to Syria for $324 million. The question you should answer is if you'd go to Syria for like an 8% raise over what you're making now. Eight percent is about the difference between what Cole took and what we know to be his second best offer.

It's called trying to add a bit of humour which imo is lacking in talk sports, talk sports used to be fun it's like going to a funeral nowadays, maybe that's why only an handful of posters post on a regular basis. Anyway have at it I'm way too old to be lectured on a forum.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #50
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That is the one thing that holds you back around here, CB. These kind of snarky comments. Most of everything else you say is quite insightful, but you ruin the effect with condescending stuff like this.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #51
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
It's called trying to add a bit of humour which imo is lacking in talk sports, talk sports used to be fun it's like going to a funeral nowadays, maybe that's why only an handful of posters post on a regular basis. Anyway have at it I'm way too old to be lectured on a forum.
Sorry
Didn't realize invoking civil war and ethnic cleansing was putting the bloody fun back in funeral.
That's actually quite hilarious

Whereas "I'd play in [insert place the speaker is often trying to criticize] for [insert amount of money sports player just received]" is just a pretty tired sports talk trope generally used to try to belittle athletes for choosing, as the belittler is usually free to do, where they want to live and work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DéjÃ* Bru View Post
That is the one thing that holds you back around here, CB. These kind of snarky comments. Most of everything else you say is quite insightful, but you ruin the effect with condescending stuff like this.
Not sure what I could possibly be being held back from

Possibly the snarky comments are equally as (or un) insightful. They all come from the same place, afterall. That place being my viewpoint on OOTP, baseball, WAR, war, whatever.

I take information in through my unique blend of perception and experience and put it back into the world.

People take that information in through their unique blend of perception and experience and have their own reaction.

My perception and experience have led me to believe that humanitarian crises and laborers being fed so much anti-labor rhetoric that they start to, unwittingly, repeat it are things that should be addressed rather than overlooked.

Sure, some people may do so more tactfully than I do. Sometimes I do it more, and less, tactfully.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #52
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry
Didn't realize invoking civil war and ethnic cleansing was putting the bloody fun back in funeral.
That's actually quite hilarious

Whereas "I'd play in [insert place the speaker is often trying to criticize] for [insert amount of money sports player just received]" is just a pretty tired sports talk trope generally used to try to belittle athletes for choosing, as the belittler is usually free to do, where they want to live and work.
Not sure if you've noticed but talk sports would be a ghost town if posters weren't allowed to "belittle" anyone, I'm not ashamed in what I posted so like I said you post what you want, I'll post what I want until its deemed by the powers that be not to belong on the forums. After all I'm well over 6,500 posts and can probably count on one hand the times my comments have been deemed "belittling" or offensive or the likes and still have fingers to spare.

Also if someone makes comment on one of my posts and I reread what I've posted and agree with their comment I'll apologise, in this case i dont think I need apologise to anyone Gerrit Cole included
Old 12-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #53
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
He is right though. Sports talk is filled with tropes and completely meaningless cliches. If you tell someone how dumb they sound to use then maybe they stop using them and the world gets a bit better.

Yes, we know athletes are paid a lot of money. We also know you wish that you were paid a lot of money.

Last edited by dkgo; 12-14-2019 at 01:00 PM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #54
CBeisbol
Banned

I
Quote:
Not sure if you've noticed but talk sports would be a ghost town if posters weren't allowed to "belittle" anyone,
Not exactly a glowing recommendation of the quality of posts here, nor sports talk in general, which is a trash heap.

It's unfortunate. The intensity with which people relate to sports can be used for good or evil. For example, I took a number of statistics classes at university and passed them all and could apply the formulas correctly. But I didn't really understand a thing. Not until I saw how statistics was applied to baseball. Then the concepts were understandable to me because I could relate them to something I cared about.

So, yeah, we can use sports to yell "you suck!" back and forth. Or we can use it for something better.

So, I won't begrudge you $324 million.
But I hope the atrocities happening in Syria will forever be abstract to you and you will never see that much death and destruction in person.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 12-14-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #55
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
ISo, I won't begrudge you $324 million.
But I hope the atrocities happening in Syria will forever be abstract to you and you will never see that much death and destruction in person.
As they say seen the movie bought the tshirt.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #56
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Just for the record, I also would play any sport anywhere for $30M/yr, in case any GMs are perusing the forum

Last edited by ezpkns34; 12-14-2019 at 02:37 PM. Reason: 30M a year .... I mean, I'd take 300M/yr too
Old 12-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #57
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpkns34 View Post
Just for the record, I also would play any sport anywhere for $300M/yr, in case any GMs are perusing the forum

Need an agent? Also 10% be okay?
Old 12-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #58
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Need an agent? Also 10% be okay?
If you land me a $30M a year, you can have half, what the hell
Old 12-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #59
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you land me a $30M a year, you can have half, what the hell
This makes me think. I'm used to saying "After a while, what are the extra millions for?" All of us here cannot even imagine what it would be like to make even $1.5 million a year, let alone $15 million, let alone $30 million. Yet, we have player agents scrounging for an extra few mils a year and an extra few years, to boot. What do they spend their money on?

The thought that I just had, and that somebody mentioned here or someplace else: legacy. Of two forms: lots of money to leave to your heirs and be remembered by, and the ego gratification of being a multi, multi-millionaire while you're alive.

It really is insanity, regardless.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #60
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
As they say seen the movie bought the tshirt.
I, for one, would be interested to hear about your experiences

And understand why you so casually dismiss the suffering that people are going through in Syria.

Quote:
Just for the record, I also would play any sport anywhere for $30M/yr, in case any GMs are perusing the forum
Would you? Really?
Would $30 million a year be enough for you to put your literal life on the line in someplace like Syria?

I don't know anything about your current situation, but I'd imagine, since you're taking the time to post on a website about a computer baseball game that you're at least semi-comfortable in your life. Probably not starving to death, or anything.

There are millions of people in Syria (and numerous other places around the world) who'd change places with you in a heartbeat. And not to receive tens of millions of dollars but who'd pay everything they have to be in your situation. Parents who'd sacrifice their own lives so their children could sit where you sit while you talk about how you'd go to Syria for $30 million dollars.

A joke is a joke

But it might be good to sometimes think about the human lives at the other end of your jokes.