Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:40 PM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Angels in the outfield, devils in the clubhouse

Can't believe he was fired <sarcasm>
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Hmmm, can MLB ban suntan lotion
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #3
Jwalk100
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Hmmm, can MLB ban suntan lotion
Exactly. It is in every bullpen ball bag in the majors and minors.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #4
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

MLB really needs to get their **** together.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
What about the Angels employee that was getting street drugs that ended up killing one of their pitchers?
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:57 AM   #6
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
MLB really needs to get their **** together.
That means not just firing, but banishing from the sport. That applies to the players who benefited from his ministrations and therefore cheated the game.

It should have been done with the steroid users, it should have been done with the garbage can guys, and it should be done in the future to any manager, coach, player, or employee found to be cheating.

Now perhaps we are seeing how we have reaped what we sowed when we let Barry Bonds and company continue to play baseball and keep their records and when we let the Astr*s retain their World Series trophy.

Stop the excuses, stop the rationalizations, and clean up the sport.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:04 AM   #7
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
That means not just firing, but banishing from the sport. That applies to the players who benefited from his ministrations and therefore cheated the game.

It should have been done with the steroid users, it should have been done with the garbage can guys, and it should be done in the future to any manager, coach, player, or employee found to be cheating.

Now perhaps we are seeing how we have reaped what we sowed when we let Barry Bonds and company continue to play baseball and keep their records and when we let the Astr*s retain their World Series trophy.

Stop the excuses, stop the rationalizations, and clean up the sport.
This is something completely different, from what I am reading. This is something that has been accepted as one of the unwritten rules for a long time, but now MLB has decided to crack down on it.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:51 PM   #8
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
This is something completely different, from what I am reading. This is something that has been accepted as one of the unwritten rules for a long time, but now MLB has decided to crack down on it.
I went back to read the article again. Admittedly, I stopped at "he was providing ball-doctoring substances to opposing pitchers" and skimmed the rest before dashing over here to pontificate.

You know, I am older than most of you, a fact that I am not shy of stating from time to time although it is probably apparent in the tone of my posts. I remember a time when, if a pitcher "went to his mouth" at all during the game, he was tossed or assessed a balk, some penalty. I remember what happened when they found a nail file in Joe Niekro's pocket.

Now you're telling me that "70% of pitchers use some sort of substance -- be it pine tar or Firm Grip or a homemade concoction -- to enhance their grip, which could ultimately provide greater movement and velocity" according to the player quoted in the article?

You know what? Now I have reduced animosity for the trash can bangers.

I'm getting sick of MLB and if they don't "get their **** together" in the immortal words of Rizon, I'm thinking of turning it off. I'd say to consider me a bellwether but there is this generation thing involved. Maybe it's me.

Or maybe it's a lot of younger folks waking up to this situation and finding it very disillusioning and distasteful. Why root for a bunch of men in pajamas if what you are seeing is not in fact real? If what you are seeing is a mummers show put on merely for low entertainment?

"Duh, look at the sharp break on that ball! 18 K's!"

or,

"Wow, he hit that (MLB-doctored) ball clear out of the stadium! It's almost as if he knew what pitch was coming!"

Rant over. But indeed, MLB better "get their **** together."

- Bru

Old 03-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Now that I feel better, does anybody have any idea why a team employee would want to provide aid to the enemy? Only two possibilities come to me: money and wanting to be a "good old boy."

- Bru

Old 03-07-2020, 03:46 PM   #10
Jwalk100
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Now that I feel better, does anybody have any idea why a team employee would want to provide aid to the enemy? Only two possibilities come to me: money and wanting to be a "good old boy."
It was a special concoction he made. I am sure he sold it. As I posted earlier, most use a combo of spray sun block and rosin. They spray it on their glove side arm and apply rosin. I have seen one guy spray his right pant leg.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:30 PM   #11
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

I have heard discussion from some batters that they don't mind the use of a little pine tar, as it help the pitcher control the ball a bit better, especially in cold weather. Makes it a bit safer. I think it was considered maintaining a basic level of control, not gaining an advantage.

I can't remember the pitcher who has so much the opposing manager felt forced to go to the umpire, but his statement after the game was, "don't make it so obvious that I have to do something about it."

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:55 PM   #12
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As the manager of the visitors clubhouse the visiting teams were his customers. Not the members of "his" team.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:21 AM   #13
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
As the manager of the visitors clubhouse the visiting teams were his customers. Not the members of "his" team.
I can see this, in a way, even though the home team is paying his salary (other than "tips"). Sort of a conflict of interest, though, built-in. Why does the visiting team need a "clubhouse manager"? Don't they bring their own trainers and equipment guys, leaving janitors for the rest?

- Bru

Old 03-08-2020, 02:19 PM   #14
Jwalk100
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I can see this, in a way, even though the home team is paying his salary (other than "tips"). Sort of a conflict of interest, though, built-in. Why does the visiting team need a "clubhouse manager"? Don't they bring their own trainers and equipment guys, leaving janitors for the rest?
A visiting clubhouse manager knows where everything is stored and keeps it all maintained. Simpler to have more than less.