Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #121
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsTHunter View Post
As Lukas has said already, the ability to essentially change any setting you want lets people solve this issue (if they feel its an issue) on their own.
This is some FANTASTIC information that I am going to probably use, but here's the rub: You can't change any of the settings if you want to play in Challenge Mode. The engine should have solved these issues right out of the box. I don't recall this sort of issue in past versions of the game, at least not this significant.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #122
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
This is some FANTASTIC information that I am going to probably use, but here's the rub: You can't change any of the settings if you want to play in Challenge Mode. The engine should have solved these issues right out of the box. I don't recall this sort of issue in past versions of the game, at least not this significant.
Then don't use challenge mode....all you need to do is replicate the same settings in challenge mode, and then switch off commish mode.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #123
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
I see you are from Bear, DE. I used to work in Wilmington for WILM NewsRadio. My program director at the time was from Bear.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #124
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I see you are from Bear, DE. I used to work in Wilmington for WILM NewsRadio. My program director at the time was from Bear.
SMALL world. We'll be from Bear for another week.. We're closing on a house in Newark next Friday.

And to the point of your first comment, personally? I like having the accomplishments pop up, and although I don't "cheat" the game, I do like to beat it in Challenge Mode.

Ever since the inception of Challenge Mode its been at the very least inferred that thats how the Devs intend for the game to be played. It SHOULD be able to be played like that without the need to change settings to increase realism.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:11 PM   #125
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Lol I moved from philly to DE and will soon be making a move to Bear
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:59 PM   #126
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I really liked challenge mode when it first came out. But now not so much.

You have no control over fixing anything weird that pops up. It's ok for short runs but I wouldn't want to do a 20+ year universe in challenge mode with no way of fixing anything strange or hugs or what have you.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #127
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

This isn't looking very realistic any longer. Unfortunately.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #128
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Here is something else I don't quite understand....if OSA has average scouting accuracy and your scout is low....why is OSA still overly hyping so many rookies in the draft pool?
Old 03-28-2020, 08:20 PM   #129
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Here is something else I don't quite understand....if OSA has average scouting accuracy and your scout is low....why is OSA still overly hyping so many rookies in the draft pool?
It's far more likely your scout is underrating them. This was something I found when testing - your scouts show a bias toward underestimating true potential while OSA does not. This bias is greater the more your scout favors ability over tools.
greenOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:49 PM   #130
Accipiter
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
Take a look at the 2014 draft. There's exactly three All-Stars from the first round. I count a total of six players who are still relevant nearly six years later. Do you want the entire first round to turn out to be stars?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_M...Baseball_draft
OP is saying that over 4+ years there hasn't been a single guy with even FIFTY potential. How is that even vaguely realistic to you? Even the first round of the 2014 draft you just described would have multiple guys above that.
Accipiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:06 PM   #131
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
OP is saying that over 4+ years there hasn't been a single guy with even FIFTY potential. How is that even vaguely realistic to you? Even the first round of the 2014 draft you just described would have multiple guys above that.
OP said above 55 meaning no 60’s

The first 4 years of the game’s draft are crafted players. It was admitted that some players are undervalued but also noted that in this year draft, no one is rated about a 55 FV.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #132
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
OP said above 55 meaning no 60’s

The first 4 years of the game’s draft are crafted players. It was admitted that some players are undervalued but also noted that in this year draft, no one is rated about a 55 FV.
Readers are leaders.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:03 PM   #133
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin44 View Post
I agree with the original poster. I would like to see beefed up potential for draft classes.

I'm finding it hard discerning between good players and normal players. Wish there was an option to change this
It's possible, but it requires people to do a lot of tinkering of your leagues to get draft classes to be deeper. The fog of war in OOTP that real life lacks is that IRL we have data we can go on, it's not only about scouting.

I haven't played OOTP in a week, but need to get back into it and run some fictional seasons to see how players develop over time before I go spiking draft classes as I normally do, to get talent where I like it.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:57 PM   #134
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
Someone should fire up OOTP 20 and see what the draft ratings looked like. MLB Pipeline has 3 guys above 55 in the top 100 prospects list from the 2019 draft. Adley Rutschman, Bobby Witt Jr and Andrew Vaughn. None of those were above 60. So asking for 70 rated guys every draft is not realistic. Maybe you could make an argument for Torkelson, Hancock, or Lacy being a 60 ovr. But I feel even Martin is probably a 55
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:53 AM   #135
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

They need to put this back the way it was. This is now totally unrealistic IMO.
Attached Images
Old 04-02-2020, 05:59 AM   #136
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

I have scouting turned off (implying 100% accurate ratings) in my game and unless the draft class is weak there will be non-RP 55 POT guys at the end of the first round. I can usually pick up 45 POT guys in the 4th round. The classes have always looked like this since this thread started (March 23), but the way you perceive them is greatly dependent on scouting settings and your particular scout.

Last edited by greenOak; 04-02-2020 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:14 AM   #137
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

Take a look at this:

4 screenshots of the same draft class.

Top Left: Scouting turned off (100% accurate)
Top Right: OSA on normal accuracy
Bottom Left: Scout with highly favors tools on normal accuracy
Bottom Right: Same scout with highly favors ability on normal accuracy
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by greenOak; 04-02-2020 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #138
eas9898
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenOak View Post
Take a look at this:

4 screenshots of the same draft class.

Top Left: Scouting turned off (100% accurate)
Top Right: OSA on normal accuracy
Bottom Left: Scout with highly favors tools on normal accuracy
Bottom Right: Same scout with highly favors ability on normal accuracy

What I've noticed is that "highly favors ability" scouts never find prospects they like. Which makes me wonder if those types of scouts offer any value when looking for prospects. Maybe they are only useful for MLB talent?
eas9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #139
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Anyone else getting extra thin draft pools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eas9898 View Post
What I've noticed is that "highly favors ability" scouts never find prospects they like. Which makes me wonder if those types of scouts offer any value when looking for prospects. Maybe they are only useful for MLB talent?

Scouts that favor ability are conservative and will find more serviceable players (not Necessarily stars but MLB quality players)

Scouts that favor Tools are more aggressive with their ratings and will find more superstar players but also find less serviceable players than a scout who favors ability. Which means a scout who highly favors tools are more hit or miss with players.

If you are a small market team, ability might be a good scout for you if you rely on having a decent farm system based on drafting.

From the manual
Quote:
Projection The Scouting Director's preference when it comes to projecting the future potential of players. The projection attribute has five settings: Highly Favor Ability, Favor Ability, Neutral, Favor Tools, and Highly Favor Tools. A Scouting Director that favors ability will base players' potential ratings on what the player can already do and project what he thinks the player will become in the future. The director that favors tools will base the players' potential ratings on the maximum peak the player could achieve. In theory, a scout that favors tools will find more superstars, while a scout that favors ability will find more serviceable major league players.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 04-02-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:29 PM   #140
waltwa
All Star Reserve

does increasing the number of rds in the draft add more quality players
waltwa is offline   Reply With Quote