Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #1
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

League modifiers question

In my fictional league the league's ERA has gone up from 4.02 to 4.80 in 4 years. I'd like for the ERA to be in the low 4's again but i'm not exactly sure what to do. I know there is a setting at the beginning of the season to auto calculate but I don't think i've used that in at least 3 or 4 seasons which maybe is why the league ERA is continuing to rise. I'm wondering if that will fix the problem? My modifiers seem to be the same as they have been for a long time so those have not changed. I have league avg set to 248/324/407 but the batting average is currently around 259 over the last 3 seasons.
One thing i don't want to do is change the league modifiers to a historical year since the modifiers i have selected i like. For example, currently my fictional league only has a 68 game schedule so i do have the HR modifier jacked up, so we are not seeing really low HR totals among the leaders. I'm wondering if the best thing to do is, add some good pitchers to the next off season's free agent player pool to add some balance.
Attached Images

Last edited by krownroyal83; 10-16-2019 at 08:42 PM.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krownroyal83 View Post
In my fictional league the league's ERA has gone up from 4.02 to 4.80 in 4 years. I'd like for the ERA to be in the low 4's again but i'm not exactly sure what to do. I know there is a setting at the beginning of the season to auto calculate but I don't think i've used that in at least 3 or 4 seasons which maybe is why the league ERA is continuing to rise. I'm wondering if that will fix the problem? My modifiers seem to be the same as they have been for a long time so those have not changed. I have league avg set to 248/324/407 but the batting average is currently around 259 over the last 3 seasons.
One thing i don't want to do is change the league modifiers to a historical year since the modifiers i have selected i like. For example, currently my fictional league only has a 68 game schedule so i do have the HR modifier jacked up, so we are not seeing really low HR totals among the leaders. I'm wondering if the best thing to do is, add some good pitchers to the next off season's free agent player pool to add some balance.
See that "Select Year" box at the top of all the numbers? I use that on the day before Opening Day every year to import stats settings for my league. Works like a charm. I don't use auto-calc. I select the year from 1871 through 2018 that I want to use the day before each Opening Day. I do it the day before Opening Day, because that's the point at which team rosters will be set as much as they can be for the coming season. It's the absolute latest in the offseason that you can do it, so that's when I do it. In my case, the year is 1984, but you may prefer a different offensive environment. Not only does it import the actual numbers from that season, but it also adjusts the LTMs in one fell swoop.

1984: 4.26 R/G, 3.81 ERA, .260/.323/.385/.708, 0.78 HR/9

Judging from your post, you may prefer more offense in your game. My suggestion is to take a season from this list and/or this list that suits your statistical fancy, and select that year the day before Opening Day. I find this method works better than auto-calc, and definitely better than "lock league totals". "Lock league totals" only seems to be concerned with AB, H, 2B, 3B, HR, BB, HBP, K, and BABIP. It doesn't seem to concern itself with anything else like fielding, pitcher stamina, GB% etc, etc, etc. Anything below those nine categories will not be controlled which can really mess up your results.

I also uncheck all the "automatically adjust..." boxes, and just use this method every year. I just discovered that the RL BABIP in 1984 was actually .286, and not .289 like the game seems to think it is. I'm hoping this will help with results that seemed to get "hotter" after OOTP16 for some reason, but we shall see. Any questions? Fire away.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Any word on how things are working out statistically for you kr83?

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Old 11-01-2019, 01:00 AM   #4
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Any word on how things are working out statistically for you kr83?
Actually, I was kind of afraid to mess with the numbers for my major league but i knew what the problem was in my opinion, and that was not enough good starting pitching depth in my league. I mean there were plenty of great guys but there just needed to be more middle of the rotation type of guys so i just created like 10 during free agency and my league ERA has dropped to the low to mid 4's where as my BA is around .250. I feel like my ideal numbers are a ERA around 4.25 and a BA of .250 or just slightly higher. Are those similar to what they were in 1984? I know you love that year for baseball stats, you bring it up a lot haha.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:01 PM   #5
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually, I was kind of afraid to mess with the numbers for my major league but i knew what the problem was in my opinion, and that was not enough good starting pitching depth in my league. I mean there were plenty of great guys but there just needed to be more middle of the rotation type of guys so i just created like 10 during free agency and my league ERA has dropped to the low to mid 4's where as my BA is around .250. I feel like my ideal numbers are a ERA around 4.25 and a BA of .250 or just slightly higher. Are those similar to what they were in 1984? I know you love that year for baseball stats, you bring it up a lot haha.
1984's R/G is around 4.25 (4.26), and the ERA is 3.81 with a slash line of .260/.323/.385/.708. Since I figured out the BABIP trick, and using the DH as it was used in 1984 (One league with it, one league without it), my league numbers are really, really good, which is awesome.

I'm gonna take a look, and see if I can find a year that comes close to the numbers you're talking about, and post in here if I find one. .250 or slightly higher with a 4.25 ERA is going to be a real challenge because that's a lot of runs for such a low batting average, but I'm sure I'll come up with something close to it, and I'll post it back in here when I do. It feels like it's going to be more of a modern season, but we'll see what happens.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #6
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Here are your options:

2002: .261/.331/.417/.748, 4.62 R/G, 4.27 ERA, .293 BABIP
2005: .264/.330/.419/.749, 4.59 R/G, 4.28 ERA, .295 BABIP
1987: .263/.331/.415/.747, 4.72 R/G, 4.28 ERA, .289 BABIP
2009: .262/.333/.418/.751, 4.61 R/G, 4.31 ERA, .299 BABIP
2016: .255/.322/.417/.739, 4.48 R/G, 4.18 ERA, .300 BABIP
1993: .265/.332/.403/.736, 4.60 R/G, 4.18 ERA, .294 BABIP
2008: .264/.333/.416/.749, 4.65 R/G, 4.32 ERA, .300 BABIP
2017: .255/.324/.426/.750, 4.65 R/G, 4.35 ERA, .300 BABIP
2018: .248/.318/.409/.728, 4.45 R/G, 4.14 ERA, .295 BABIP

Given your desire to stick around .250 with a 4.25 ERA, I would say 2016, 2017, and 2018 are your best bets. I'd rank them 2016, 2017, and 2018, but you may see it differently. Don't forget to grab the BABIPs, and put them in the space provided when you import your numbers for testing the day before Opening Day, just in case the game doesn't get it right.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:46 PM   #7
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Here are your options:

2002: .261/.331/.417/.748, 4.62 R/G, 4.27 ERA, .293 BABIP
2005: .264/.330/.419/.749, 4.59 R/G, 4.28 ERA, .295 BABIP
1987: .263/.331/.415/.747, 4.72 R/G, 4.28 ERA, .289 BABIP
2009: .262/.333/.418/.751, 4.61 R/G, 4.31 ERA, .299 BABIP
2016: .255/.322/.417/.739, 4.48 R/G, 4.18 ERA, .300 BABIP
1993: .265/.332/.403/.736, 4.60 R/G, 4.18 ERA, .294 BABIP
2008: .264/.333/.416/.749, 4.65 R/G, 4.32 ERA, .300 BABIP
2017: .255/.324/.426/.750, 4.65 R/G, 4.35 ERA, .300 BABIP
2018: .248/.318/.409/.728, 4.45 R/G, 4.14 ERA, .295 BABIP

Given your desire to stick around .250 with a 4.25 ERA, I would say 2016, 2017, and 2018 are your best bets. I'd rank them 2016, 2017, and 2018, but you may see it differently. Don't forget to grab the BABIPs, and put them in the space provided when you import your numbers for testing the day before Opening Day, just in case the game doesn't get it right.

Thanks for looking into it. The only reason why I have not set it to a historical year already is the fact that my league has a short season (68 games) and because of that i've upped my HR modifiers to make the league leaders in any given year get 25+ home runs, instead of around 15-20 HR's if I left them alone. I did this because it makes the HR race a bit more entertaining. I'm planning on making a new fictional league with a much longer schedule then i'm going to use a historical year. Looks like i'll use something like 2016, but i'm going to do a bit of testing before i make my actually league.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #8
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
See that "Select Year" box at the top of all the numbers? I use that on the day before Opening Day every year to import stats settings for my league. Works like a charm. I don't use auto-calc. I select the year from 1871 through 2018 that I want to use the day before each Opening Day. I do it the day before Opening Day, because that's the point at which team rosters will be set as much as they can be for the coming season. It's the absolute latest in the offseason that you can do it, so that's when I do it. In my case, the year is 1984, but you may prefer a different offensive environment. Not only does it import the actual numbers from that season, but it also adjusts the LTMs in one fell swoop.

1984: 4.26 R/G, 3.81 ERA, .260/.323/.385/.708, 0.78 HR/9

Judging from your post, you may prefer more offense in your game. My suggestion is to take a season from this list and/or this list that suits your statistical fancy, and select that year the day before Opening Day. I find this method works better than auto-calc, and definitely better than "lock league totals". "Lock league totals" only seems to be concerned with AB, H, 2B, 3B, HR, BB, HBP, K, and BABIP. It doesn't seem to concern itself with anything else like fielding, pitcher stamina, GB% etc, etc, etc. Anything below those nine categories will not be controlled which can really mess up your results.

I also uncheck all the "automatically adjust..." boxes, and just use this method every year. I just discovered that the RL BABIP in 1984 was actually .286, and not .289 like the game seems to think it is. I'm hoping this will help with results that seemed to get "hotter" after OOTP16 for some reason, but we shall see. Any questions? Fire away.
Thanks for sharing this with us... you really explain it very clearly and very well... it's apparent that you know what you are talking about... you are not guessing.
Thanks for the links, too... that is invaluable information.

I feel very comfortable that this will work well... this method will save me a lot of time tinkering and playing around with the league modifiers.
So, I'm going to start using it for my Islandian Pro Alliance, the North Island Recreational League and the forthcoming South Island League.

Thank you, actionjackson.
Much appreciate it.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 11-02-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
Thanks for sharing this with us... you really explain it very clearly and very well... it's apparent that you know what you are talking about... you are not guessing.
Thanks for the links, too... that is invaluable information.

I feel very comfortable that this will work well... this method will save me a lot of time tinkering and playing around with the league modifiers.
So, I'm going to start using it for my Islandian Pro Alliance, the North Island Recreational League and the forthcoming South Island League.

Thank you, actionjackson.
Much appreciate it.
Thank you Eugene. I'm pretty handy with this method, so give me the statistical output parameters (AVG, R/G, ERA, FPct, how many HR [by HR/9 IP I suppose] you like to see...That sort of thing) you want for your amazing Islandian Pro Alliance, North Island Recreational League, and any future leagues your creative brain comes up with, and I'll find some options for you to consider. I'll give you the BABIPs too, because I've found that's a really important factor in getting what you want. One of my main rules is above all, never tinker with LTMs. It's a gigantic PITA, and the tinkering can get rather endless to the point where you spend all your time tinkering, and not enjoying your game, so give me some guidelines, and I'll give you some possibilities to consider. Myself, I like something between deadball and superball, and 1984 hits the spot, but let's find you the one that works for you.

Basically my specialties are settings, and this stuff. I spent all of OOTPX (my first version) messing around with settings to figure out what worked, and what didn't work for me. I didn't get many games done during that development cycle, but it sure gave me a leg up on what settings I wanted to use in future versions. It takes me about five minutes to set up my Historical Random Debut games now, and I'm really glad I took the time to do it back then.

I also tether my strategy settings to the same year as the statistical output settings, which isn't really necessary, but I like to do it anyway to get pitchers throwing close to the amount of innings they threw that year, the same rotation sizes etc. I use "Strict Rotation, Occasional Highest Rested", and I find that's served me best as far as IP leaders go. Other things like frequency of Defensive Substitutions, Stealing Bases, Hit & Run, Bunting, and Infield Shifts are controlled by this too, as well as frequency of pinch hitting for pitchers and position players. You can manually adjust those to your taste though. Definitely not as hard to decipher as LTMs. I separate financials from the rest of the settings, and allow them to progress as they did. I believe you play fictional, so I don't know what settings are in your game, but I uncheck things like auto adjust strategy, financials, player creation modifiers, and LTMs, because I want to freeze or manually adjust them rather than have the game do that for me. One thing I don't think I've mentioned in the various threads I've been in, is that you have to watch the "Hook for Starting Pitcher" and "Hook for Relief Pitcher" settings. They will change when you import your season stats, and you'll have to set them back to the way you want them. That's all for now...I think.

Last edited by actionjackson; 11-02-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

everytime you import a year, it autocalculates the modifiers. that's why results matchup so well for that year.

if you do this often, it's the same as autocalculating every year and very similar to locking stats, but slightly different.

if you don't import every year, you will run into issues at some point with most league contexts. any change in rules or shift in player distribution could move it out of the range you actually wanted (given a >1 year perspective)

your ratings will mean differnet things everytime you do change modifiers - manually or autocalc or import -- most likely small and unnoticeable, but not guaranteed to be insignificant. it will add another layer of 'inaccuracy' on top of the scouting inaccuracy for your human eye every year it shifts around. what you think is a good player shifts around due to this fact, so you can't be as comfortable or accurate in what you learn over time.

plus, this is using dials to determing output after inception, which should be determined by player creation and in-game rng interactions. additional volatility will be caused by changing these dials after inception - simple fact that can't be denied.

unless you import every year, you will inevitably have to adjust some modifiers over time, because the current state of your league is not the median in every way and a distribution that is not accurate that that over the long-run. things will shift, unless you import every year.

importing everyear is no different than autocalculating every single year. the only way you'd avoid flat results year-in-year-out is to import a different year each year or take a year or 3 off inbetween importing same year over again.

if you import a year and leave it, the environment will likely not be what you originally wanted. you will have to manipulate things if that is your concern.

start with what you actually care about -- individual results or league results? then apply a strategy that works for what you want and value.

if you import a year then bump HR mod by 10-20%, don't expect it to hit the stats you imported -- the ones you wanted to see? because, that's now not going to happen.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #11
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
everytime you import a year, it autocalculates the modifiers. that's why results matchup so well for that year.

if you do this often, it's the same as autocalculating every year and very similar to locking stats, but slightly different.

if you don't import every year, you will run into issues at some point with most league contexts. any change in rules or shift in player distribution could move it out of the range you actually wanted (given a >1 year perspective)

your ratings will mean differnet things everytime you do change modifiers - manually or autocalc or import -- most likely small and unnoticeable, but not guaranteed to be insignificant. it will add another layer of 'inaccuracy' on top of the scouting inaccuracy for your human eye every year it shifts around. what you think is a good player shifts around due to this fact, so you can't be as comfortable or accurate in what you learn over time.

plus, this is using dials to determing output after inception, which should be determined by player creation and in-game rng interactions. additional volatility will be caused by changing these dials after inception - simple fact that can't be denied.

unless you import every year, you will inevitably have to adjust some modifiers over time, because the current state of your league is not the median in every way and a distribution that is not accurate that that over the long-run. things will shift, unless you import every year.

importing everyear is no different than autocalculating every single year. the only way you'd avoid flat results year-in-year-out is to import a different year each year or take a year or 3 off inbetween importing same year over again.

if you import a year and leave it, the environment will likely not be what you originally wanted. you will have to manipulate things if that is your concern.

start with what you actually care about -- individual results or league results? then apply a strategy that works for what you want and value.

if you import a year then bump HR mod by 10-20%, don't expect it to hit the stats you imported -- the ones you wanted to see? because, that's now not going to happen.
There's enough variance for me when I import every year on the day before Opening Day. Lots of HR league wide in the test I just ran. The results aren't completely flat, but they're within a range that suits me just fine. In the test I just ran, runs were up a bit, but not crazy. Another test I ran in a previous test league, runs were down almost as much as they were up in the first season of this test league, and offense in general was down quite a bit. I don't mind variance. I'm just looking to avoid deadball and superball eras, and this method does it for me without scrambling my brains with adjusting modifiers.

The lock stats feature does not work at all. It works for AB, H, 2B, 3B, HR, BB, HBP, K, and BABIP (once I reset it to the RL one). Anything below that line will default to the year you're playing. So, say I'm playing 1901 with 1984 LTMs and strategy settings. The fielders are going to be terrible, and make a ton of errors. Starting pitcher stamina, and relief pitcher stamina will be affected, along with GB%, WP, BK, PB, SF, SH, SBA, SB%, XB%, GDP, LDP, and OF Assists. It comes out quite the hot mess.

Old 11-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #12
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Random Debut Historical test league leaders (pos players and then pitchers) sorted by WAR, over a 162 game schedule in 1901 using 1984 LTMs and strategy settings adjusted the day before Opening Day. Two 8 team sub-leagues (historical setup, so as it was IRL), with OOTP Classic injuries, High Position Player fatigue, 5-man rotation, with Rotation Mode set to "Strict Rotation, Occasional Highest Rested", 5-year double weighted recalc, Ratings: Real Stats, Potential Ratings: Remaining Years of Career, Fielding Ratings and Pitcher Stamina based on Entire Career...
Attached Images
Image Image 

Old 11-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #13
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

...And for those that prefer their stats done by category rather than sorted by the WAR (What is it good for?) category...
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by actionjackson; 11-02-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:47 PM   #14
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thank you Eugene. I'm pretty handy with this method, so give me the statistical output parameters (AVG, R/G, ERA, FPct, how many HR [by HR/9 IP I suppose] you like to see...That sort of thing) you want for your amazing Islandian Pro Alliance, North Island Recreational League, and any future leagues your creative brain comes up with, and I'll find some options for you to consider. I'll give you the BABIPs too, because I've found that's a really important factor in getting what you want. One of my main rules is above all, never tinker with LTMs. It's a gigantic PITA, and the tinkering can get rather endless to the point where you spend all your time tinkering, and not enjoying your game, so give me some guidelines, and I'll give you some possibilities to consider. Myself, I like something between deadball and superball, and 1984 hits the spot, but let's find you the one that works for you.

Basically my specialties are settings, and this stuff. I spent all of OOTPX (my first version) messing around with settings to figure out what worked, and what didn't work for me. I didn't get many games done during that development cycle, but it sure gave me a leg up on what settings I wanted to use in future versions. It takes me about five minutes to set up my Historical Random Debut games now, and I'm really glad I took the time to do it back then.

I also tether my strategy settings to the same year as the statistical output settings, which isn't really necessary, but I like to do it anyway to get pitchers throwing close to the amount of innings they threw that year, the same rotation sizes etc. I use "Strict Rotation, Occasional Highest Rested", and I find that's served me best as far as IP leaders go. Other things like frequency of Defensive Substitutions, Stealing Bases, Hit & Run, Bunting, and Infield Shifts are controlled by this too, as well as frequency of pinch hitting for pitchers and position players. You can manually adjust those to your taste though. Definitely not as hard to decipher as LTMs. I separate financials from the rest of the settings, and allow them to progress as they did. I believe you play fictional, so I don't know what settings are in your game, but I uncheck things like auto adjust strategy, financials, player creation modifiers, and LTMs, because I want to freeze or manually adjust them rather than have the game do that for me. One thing I don't think I've mentioned in the various threads I've been in, is that you have to watch the "Hook for Starting Pitcher" and "Hook for Relief Pitcher" settings. They will change when you import your season stats, and you'll have to set them back to the way you want them. That's all for now...I think.
I currently use 1955 as my base year... and I get pretty realistic results.

I check the links you gave and it looks like 1950 might be a little closer to what I want... I will try that year in all of my leagues.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #15
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I currently use 1955 as my base year... and I get pretty realistic results.

I check the links you gave and it looks like 1950 might be a little closer to what I want... I will try that year in all of my leagues.

Thanks for your help.
Ah yes...I think you've talked about a RL minor league that was around in your area when you were a little guy, but I'm not sure if I'm getting that right or not. The Southern League? I can't remember, but combined with your avatar, it completely makes sense that you would prefer numbers from that time period. Lots of offense in 1950. Wowsers!

I was 14 for most of the 1984 season. It's not my favourite season though. That would be 1985. I just prefer 1984's stats for my games. I guess there's something about childhood that makes us think that that was the best baseball that ever was.

If you're going to use 1950, don't forget to make sure the BABIP is set to .280, and keep an eye on those pesky "Hook" settings that love to change when you import the season stats and modifiers that you want to use. You could also use 1950 strategy settings, so that things in your game behave like they did back then. Have fun with it, and let me know, either here (if krownroyal83 doesn't mind) or by PM how it's working for you. Cheers.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #16
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:

I'm planning on making a new fictional league. It's going to be based in Canada. It will probably have something like 24 teams. Not sure how long i want the seasons to be. I'm thinking somewhere around 100 games but that could change.
I feel like using a historical season is going to be the best thing to do. I'm just not sure which one yet. All i know is I would like the league to have more HR's than it normally would have, is that possible if i'm using a historical year? If so how would you do that? I know you don't advocate messing with the LTM, so is there another way? Also what exactly does changing the BABIP do? Increase or decrease offence i'm assuming?
Old 11-02-2019, 08:35 PM   #17
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ah yes...I think you've talked about a RL minor league that was around in your area when you were a little guy, but I'm not sure if I'm getting that right or not. The Southern League? I can't remember, but combined with your avatar, it completely makes sense that you would prefer numbers from that time period. Lots of offense in 1950. Wowsers!

I was 14 for most of the 1984 season. It's not my favourite season though. That would be 1985. I just prefer 1984's stats for my games. I guess there's something about childhood that makes us think that that was the best baseball that ever was.

If you're going to use 1950, don't forget to make sure the BABIP is set to .280, and keep an eye on those pesky "Hook" settings that love to change when you import the season stats and modifiers that you want to use. You could also use 1950 strategy settings, so that things in your game behave like they did back then. Have fun with it, and let me know, either here (if krownroyal83 doesn't mind) or by PM how it's working for you. Cheers.
I was a big fan of the old Southern Association (1900-1961)… I did a replay of the seasons 1947, 1948 and 1949 using OOTPB... lived in New Orleans and often saw the Pelicans play at Pelican Stadium in the 1950s... also lived in Mobile and watched the Bears at Hartwell Field... I even got to be a ball boy in the right field bullpen and a clubhouse boy for the Bears around 1957 and 1958... got to know future major leaguers Gary Bell, Bill Dailey, Dick Stigman and Dick Brown.

Also had the pleasure to be a batboy one night for the visiting Chattanooga Lookouts... didn't know it at the time, but I got to speak to future Hall-of-Famer Harmon Killebrew four times that night... Gary Bell struck him out four times.

Harmon was a really nice guy... going up to bat the fourth time, he said to me, "What do you think I'm gonna do this time?"... diplomatically I said, "Get a hit?" … and he said, "No, I gonna take my three swings and call it a night!"

Here's a link to the Southern Association re-creations:
https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=267921

I got the day-to-day lineups and pitchers from the New Orleans Times-Picayune newspaper archives... manually created all of the players myself based on real stats taken from The Sporting News Baseball Guide for 1947 to 1949... sadly, there was glitch in the game and it fouled up the league... probably would be still be playing it.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 11-03-2019 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #18
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

actionjackson, thanks for the help with the league modifiers suggestions.

It will be a big help to me and other here on the Forum.

I apologize for the Southern Association digression... I did not mean to highjack the thread.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:41 PM   #19
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm planning on making a new fictional league. It's going to be based in Canada. It will probably have something like 24 teams. Not sure how long i want the seasons to be. I'm thinking somewhere around 100 games but that could change.
I feel like using a historical season is going to be the best thing to do. I'm just not sure which one yet. All i know is I would like the league to have more HR's than it normally would have, is that possible if i'm using a historical year? If so how would you do that? I know you don't advocate messing with the LTM, so is there another way? Also what exactly does changing the BABIP do? Increase or decrease offence i'm assuming?
With the BABIP, I happened to notice that the game had 1984's as .289, but when I looked it up, it was actually .286, so I change it to that every year when I bring in 1984 stats (day before Opening Day) and have the game do the LTMs for me. This difference probably explained why I kept seeing hotter results. You would expect to see some seasons right on the numbers of your particular year, some above, some below, but I was seeing mainly above, and some right on, with very few below. Changing that made more of a difference than I thought it would. Theoretically, it should increase or decrease AVG, and therefore OBP, SLG, and OPS as well in the same direction the adjustment goes, if you catch my meaning.

If you want more HR, use this list, and sort by HR/9. Then have a look at the other numbers from that year, both here, and on the list I just gave you in the previous sentence. The 10 seasons with the highest HR/9 rate in order are: 2019 (not yet available with historical), 2017, 2000, 2016, 2018, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2006, and 1996, so you're basically looking at the steroid era, or the grip it and rip it/launch angle/strikeouts be damned era that we're in right now. Remember that if you choose steroid era seasons, you're looking at K/9 rates of about 6.5, whereas if you choose 2016, 2017, or 2018, you're looking at K/9 rates starting at 8.1 in 2016, and rising to a staggering 8.9 in 2019. That's a whole lotta whiffin' goin' on, so factor that in in your decision. All the years I gave you will have very good fielding because we're talking about the last quarter century when fielding has been excellent relative to the earlier days of baseball.

The BABIPs for the ten seasons listed above are 2019 (.298), 2017 (.300), 2000 (.300), 2016 (.300), 2018 (.295), 1999 (.302), 2001 (.296), 2004 (.297), 2006 (.301), and 1996 (.301). You should be able to come up with something that suits what you're looking for, and then BOMBS AWAY BABY!!! DINGERS, DINGERS, DINGERS!!!

Are you trying to limit your season length to 100 for brevity's sake? I ask because I just use 162 games for every season, based on schedules I made. Very, very, very simple ones because I'm kinda dumb with that stuff, so every day either every team plays or no teams play. It was the easiest one for me to make without frying my brain. It makes comparing across seasons easier for me if I have the same number of games. I do have one for a 24 team league with two sub-leagues of 12 if you want it, but if you're looking for brevity, that's not going to be of much use to you. It has 81 games before the All-Star break and 81 after, for a true 1st half/2nd half instead of what we have IRL.

One thing I am concerned about. I was chatting with someone via PM, and he asked about setting offense for minor leagues, and since I don't use them I have no clue. Those that do use them would have a better idea than me about how stats settings work for them. I know how to get the numbers right for your major league, but because I have no experience with minor leagues, I'm kind of in the dark on that one. Keep that in mind when using this method.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:54 PM   #20
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
actionjackson, thanks for the help with the league modifiers suggestions.

It will be a big help to me and other here on the Forum.

I apologize for the Southern Association digression... I did not mean to highjack the thread.
I personally enjoyed the "hijacking". I knew I had remembered something about a local minor league from your childhood, and your experiences with it. I just didn't have all the facts straight in my head. Those sound like wonderful memories, and I have no doubt that that's what's made you a baseball fan for life. That and Stan "The Man" I guess. From everything I've heard about him, he would've been a fabulous role model to emulate on and off the field.

I doubt anyone here objects to you talking about those stories because they're so unique, and they bring to life some of the players I see in my Random Debut leagues. By providing a link, you ensured that you wouldn't hijack it any further as well, and you shone a light on a previous work of yours, which I'm quite sure everyone would enjoy. According to my calculations, that's a Win/Win/Win/Win, and who here doesn't like winning?