Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #341
chazzycat
All Star Starter

all three teams are in the world series right now! Here's hoping for at least 1 win tonight
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #342
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
all three teams are in the world series right now! Here's hoping for at least 1 win tonight
Wow, that's awesome, chazzy! Good luck to you!

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #343
chazzycat
All Star Starter

I did win one - the Balancers finally in their tenth diamond playoff appearance took home the trophy! Now that's cool and all, but as a reminder, I've had their strategy sliders in what I thought was "worst possible" position for three seasons now, and it seems to have had no negative affect whatsoever. Now don't get me wrong this team isn't "good" - they had just a +80 run differential. There was a lot of luck involved in winning the trophy, for sure.

In other updates, the SmallBallers are still going strong. They finished with 111 victories last season, and reached the world series before falling to megawhale Real Madrid. That's three straight seasons of 100+ wins, and five straight playoff appearances since I opened my wallet. I have made one acquisition recently, and it was the all-star version of Jeff McNeil. Now, I know I have previously demonstrated a commitment to corner outfield defense - but that 97 contact vs. RHP was just too good to pass up. When I saw his card for 20K on the AH I had to have it. He hit .350 for me in his first season and didn't cost TOO much on defense, so I think I'm going to stick with him for a while and see how it works out.

100 Johan Santana had an absolutely dominant season, winning the ERA crown, pitcher wins, and pitcher of the year award. Lenny Dykstra led my offense in WAR again, which he usually does. Oh and Kaz Sasaki threw 95 innings of 2.5 ERA ball, going 12-0 as my stopper, and taking home the reliever of the year award. So I guess you could say the collections have been good to me.

The SaberCats made good use of the collections as well. Since I already had the entire Yankees outfield, it made sense to finish that live collection, and I turned a tidy profit on the Rickey Henderson card. That is a great card and I considered just using it on the team...but in the end I decided he didn't fit the team's model well enough. He's just not a big home run hitter and I want that in every position. I don't really like stealing bases either on this team.

More importantly, I decided to splurge on the SaberCats in the same fashion I did for the SmallBallers previously. It was super effective for them, and fun, so why not. I spent $100 again and my hope is that the SaberCats will stick in perfect this time around...maybe even be a bubble playoff team. I'm not sure how it will work out yet, but here's the changes I made:

In: 96 Tom Glavine, 95 Jake Arrieta, 95 Greg Maddux, 100 Cody Bellinger, 95 Eddie Joost
Out: 90 Giancarlo Stanton, 89 Greg Maddux, 82 Lonny Frey, 82 Rick Reuschel, 78 Steve Mingori
To Bullpen: 92 Dean Chance

As you can see, I spent the bulk on the starting rotation. I think these guys can hang in perfect a lot better than my previous crew. On the offensive side Stanton has always been the worst performer in terms of WAR, so replacing him in LF seemed like a pretty obvious choice. I stuck with him for a long time because he's been surprisingly good at collecting achievements (career PP equal to Trout!). But Bellinger has the same power, and is better at literally everything else, so I think that could make an impact. Joost over Frey should add a bit more pop as well, without hurting the defense. (although he is training from no rating at 2B so the early part of the season could be a bit ugly). And I still have about 40k left to improve the offense. This team did well on the awards last season as well - Trout was the HR king with 49 and took home the MVP award. Cisco Carlos took home the ERA crown and had the most pitcher wins as well. He's my 4th starter now
Old 09-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #344
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Interesting that your Dykstra does so well by way of WAR. I have him on my lefty team and he has been pretty dead weight. Although I do have a lot of groundball pitchers, so perhaps with that strategy CF defense doesn't matter that much, and he won't get much action in the field.

Or it could be from being in the OL Perfect League, which is more competitive than the average Perfect League, though less top-heavy. If everybody has Dykstra or Maddox, they essentially become replacement-level.

Roughly how much did the Yankees collection cost? I'd like to have that Rickey, but don't want to spend ~50k+.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #345
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
Or it could be from being in the OL Perfect League, which is more competitive than the average Perfect League, though less top-heavy. If everybody has Dykstra or Maddox, they essentially become replacement-level.
yeah TBH I kind of hated being in that league (no offense to any individuals). There's just too many similarly constructed teams with the same park factors...it kind of takes away the advantage, compared to random leagues. Or at least that's how it seemed to me.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #346
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
Roughly how much did the Yankees collection cost? I'd like to have that Rickey, but don't want to spend ~50k+.
Just tallied it up and looks like it cost me about 35k, and I got back 50k from selling the card. That was less profit than I thought. Probably if you don't own Judge & Stanton already, is not worth it.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #347
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I did win one - the Balancers finally in their tenth diamond playoff appearance took home the trophy!
Congrats! One might say...it was inevitable.

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #348
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Both teams are playing great so far. The SmallBallers are just cruising, going 40-17 with an 8-game division lead already. Over the past few seasons my offense has settled around a .310 AVG with .360 OBP, which is just amazing to me. Currently leading the league in baserunning, zone rating, WAR, all sorts of stuff. On the pitching side actually it's been a bit uglier than usual...Spahn has an ERA near 6 for example. But I still have the 4th best runs allowed in the conference so it's not too bad.

The SaberCats are living up to my expectations so far, and then some. They have a 33-22 record, while training up my second baseman from scratch, so I like the outlook moving forward. The three big guns I acquired for the starting rotation are working out nicely so far, all with ERAs under three.

I also just spent all the rest of my PP on a big bat to help the offense. For this team revolving around walks and homers, I couldn't think of a better candidate than Barry Bonds. I got the 97 version (99 POW/96 EYE vs RHP) and immediately installed him at leadoff. I kept Killebrew around to DH vs LHP and deepen the bench. Now that I've got a long man and solid rotation, I can afford to drop a reliever so that's what I did (goodbye Jim Johnson).

There's another pretty good team in their division, and it looks like it could be a close race. So far, our run differentials are similar, but I've got a three game lead. I'm hoping that with my 2nd basemen trained up now, plus adding Barry, I can improve and pull away a bit, but we'll see.

The Balancers are playing about as well as I'd expect in perfect...relegation territory. We'll see how that ends up, but it definitely would not surprise me to be back in diamond, pronto.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #349
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Well my goals for the SaberCats were achieved. They made the perfect playoffs for the first time! They only won 89 games and it was via the wild card, but still I'm pretty happy with that. Once again it would seem that spending money is pretty effective. My new look starting rotation got the job done for sure, with Maddux even winning the ERA crown and getting the most pitcher wins. Glavine & Arrieta were quite solid overall as well.

Unfortunately the playoffs did not go well. They did manage to win the wild card game before I woke up, but they were swept in the division series. They played well enough, losing all three games by just one run. So it goes in the playoffs. I'm happy to make it there on the first week. Next week hopefully with my second baseman all trained up, things will go better. Also Trout & Bonds both had awful years...if they rebound a bit next season could be a bit different.

The SmallBallers ended up slowing down a bit, finishing the season hitting just .298, down from about .310. But they still managed to win 101 games with a +200 run differential. Still going strong.

Currently I'm matched up with a blessed team in the division series, who somehow managed to win their division with a -27 run differential. It's going the full five games of course and I'm 99% sure I will lose, because baseball.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #350
chazzycat
All Star Starter

By some miracle the SmallBallers managed to close out the series vs. Cinderella and are headed to the LCS. I was up against 100 Maddux, but my opponent apparently did not get the memo about having a good defense behind guys like that. An error by shortstop Tatis Jr. led to the big hit of the game, a bases-clearing double by John Henry Lloyd. My pitching (Santana + bullpen) held up and that was that.

Next up are the Toronto Charmanders, a 90 win (+120) team. It could have been a 120 win team, so that is fortunate. Their series also went five games so both of our top starters are burnt. Just based on overall record and home field advantage I would be the favorite, but I think it will be a close series. The Charmanders are mostly lefties themselves, so should be well equipped to compete in my park.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:28 PM   #351
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Looks like you've had a fortunate draw in your conference's playoff bracket. Here's to hoping that the other side of the bracket also works to your advantage.

(Go Lenny!)

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:04 PM   #352
chazzycat
All Star Starter

well the LCS worked out nicely. I ended up triumphing in five games, with Smoky Burgess taking MVP honors. So I'm back in the world series for the second straight week.

Unfortunately on the other side of the bracket waiting for me, are the Collingwood Magpies. I'll be going up against the standard Megawhale rotation of perfect Walsh, Pedro, Cy & Walter starting in half an hour. Wish me luck
Old 09-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #353
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Well, it was closer than I expected. I actually managed to go up 3-1, but unfortunately could not seal the deal and lost in seven.

I think at this point I’ve sufficiently atoned for my previously amazing playoff luck during my championship run. I’m ready to win another one, baseball gods...
Old 09-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #354
allenciox
All Star Reserve

So, chazzcat, over the past three seasons I finally have my power team (Weston Pointe Caspers) actually doing better than my smallball team. They have made the playoffs each of the last three years (in OL perfect), winning the series year before last, and having best record in NC last year.

Up until that time, their positions were reversed. I have learned several lessons along the way for building effective power oriented team:

1. High EYE is more important than high POW. In the OL perfect league, my team generally ends up with highest number of walks, and even though BA sucks (usually around .200), OBP is generally over a hundred points higher.

2. Don't totally ignore CON --- CON is still the most important stat overall.

3. For FTP teams, higher upgrades benefit power teams more than smallball teams. You don't see many high diamonds with low POW.

4. Don't try to build power team with the OL restrictions: My Caspers have three perfect LIVE players: Trout, Rendon, and Yelich, and also play Mookie Betts in the OF. The meta is very expensive for historical players, but in this "year of the HR" the top LIVE players are perfect for the meta.

5. Don't become overly concerned about defense. That .9 BA factor means that defenders will have easier plays to make. Last year, the Caspers had worse than -10 ZR as a team, which put them around 10th or 11th place in the NC. But they had the best defensive efficiency.

Last edited by allenciox; 09-17-2019 at 11:37 AM.
allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #355
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
So, chazzcat, over the past three seasons I finally have my power team (Weston Pointe Caspers) actually doing better than my smallball team. They have made the playoffs each of the last three years (in OL perfect), winning the series year before last, and having best record in NC last year.

Up until that time, their positions were reversed. I have learned several lessons along the way for building effective power oriented team:

1. High EYE is more important than high POW. In the OL perfect league, my team generally ends up with highest number of walks, and even though BA sucks (usually around .200), OBP is generally over a hundred points higher.

2. Don't totally ignore CON --- CON is still the most important stat overall.

3. For FTP teams, higher upgrades benefit power teams more than smallball teams. You don't see many high diamonds with low POW.

4. Don't try to build power team with the OL restrictions: My Caspers have three perfect LIVE players: Trout, Rendon, and Yelich, and also play Mookie Betts in the OF. The meta is very expensive for historical players, but in this "year of the HR" the top LIVE players are perfect for the meta.

5. Don't become overly concerned about defense. That .9 BA factor means that defenders will have easier plays to make. Last year, the Caspers had worse than -10 ZR as a team, which put them around 10th or 11th place in the NC. But they had the best defensive efficiency.
That's awesome - I'm glad to see others are having success with that type of team. I agree with most of your advice as well. I'm always looking for eye, and ignoring BA in favor or OBP. My outfield is also entirely live cards (Bellinger, Trout & Judge). They get the job done.

Not to take anything away from your team, but I do think it's likely that you are seeing more success just due to the unique composition of that OL league. Since the majority of teams in that league have gone for the contact type teams, that leaves a vacuum of power. There are still the same number of HR allotted by the LTMs, and someone's gotta hit them.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #356
neugey
All Star Reserve

After watching this thread so long ago, I finally saw today that I am in a league with the Balancers. It's like running into a celebrity LOL.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:07 PM   #357
chazzycat
All Star Starter

The SmallBallers started out super slow this season (just a few games over .500) so I made a change I had been contemplating for a while now. While I love Pesky, I think I'm probably wasting his glove a bit playing him at 3B. At the same time, I also love my Gilliam...but there's no denying he's the worst offensive player on the team by a good margin. So I can kind of kill both of those birds with one stone by moving Pesky to 2B...if the right 3B came along.

Now here's where it gets tough. There really just isn't a great third baseman in the game that's a perfect fit for this team. Not affordably, at least (99 George Brett would be nice). So after a lot of compromising with myself I decided to jump on the 89 Wade Boggs train. If only he was a good baserunner, I would feel so much better about this move. Otherwise he's a pretty solid fit. We'll see how it goes.

Anyways, despite playing so poorly, I somehow have an 8 game lead in my division. By pythagoras, it should be 12 games so basically my division is just completely awful. I'm also stuck in a weird tiny league with just 16 teams, so honestly this season is kind of a throwaway in my mind. Seems like a perfect time to train Pesky at 2B.

Seems like the main reason for my struggles so far is the bullpen. The offense is working, if underperforming slightly, the starters are pitching well, but the entire bullpen has just been a dumpster fire. I am sure they will turn it around, given their track records, but it's pretty ugly at the moment.

The SaberCats are probably not going to be in the playoffs this week. They have played fairly well, the run differential is positive (barely) so they're still in the "bubble playoff team" category, but they haven't had any luck this season with the run distribution. Their -5 pythag record is worst in the league, and so they are a full 10 games back of any playoff spot at the moment.

The starting rotation is definitely the strength of this team now. All three of my big acquisitions are pitching really well, especially now with a competent 2B. On the offensive side, Bellinger has been solid, and Bonds leads the team in OBP. The main issue is that Mike Trout has been mired in a major slump lasting for 1.5 seasons now. Last season he had by FAR his worst ever year, with just 2.8 WAR. Aaron Judge put up nearly double that. This year so far is slightly better but still not back where he should be (20 points under his career OBP). Here's hoping for a monster second half to get him back on track.

The Balancers are back in diamond and back to being a boring .500 team. I still have no explanation for what's going on with the strategy sliders, other than maybe they just don't matter very much. Maybe they matter more for teams with more extreme compositions and strategies, like my other two teams? I hope so at least.

Good luck to the Valhalla Chaos Wolves!
Old 09-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #358
chazzycat
All Star Starter

I'm embarking on a serious revamp of the Balancers, so in a way I guess the original "experiment" is officially dead now.

I've been curious about the whole "quasi opener" strategy and the Balancers will be testing that out. I'm going with a lefty-heavy strategy like the SmallBallers, but not limited to contact (still balanced between contact & power). Most of my best bats (Gehrig, Raines, Hooper, Dickey) are lefties or switch, so that's a good start. Dumped my Justin Turner for George Brett already, but there's still a lot more work to do on the infield.

On the pitching side, the plan is to go with lefty quasi-openers followed by righty SP. I've got the 25 pitch limit in place already with 3 long men and it seems to be working alright so far...this was implemented around the all-star break and the team is 10-4 since then. The park factors are still neutral so honestly I don't think the strategy has anything to do with that 10-4 record...but at least it's not failing spectacularly or anything.

The plan is to use relief pitchers as the quasi openers because they are cheap. As long as I find some junkballer types (many decent pitches instead of few good ones) they shouldn't lose too much "stuff" from transitioning to the starter role. So far I've got Burgmeier and Dave Righetti in that role, and looking for 2 more similar players. The SP I've got in the pen are Steve Rogers, Mort Cooper and Bob Rush.

The park factors will have to wait til Sunday...hopefully the transition will be nearly complete by then and next week will be more interesting. I will post the complete roster at that point.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #359
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Yikes. Had one extra-inning game, and my staff looks like this:

3 SP in the pen is clearly not enough. Aiming for 5 by end of week.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:09 PM   #360
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yikes. Had one extra-inning game, and my staff looks like this:

3 SP in the pen is clearly not enough. Aiming for 5 by end of week.
Yeah I've found I've had to slow down the hook on relievers for SPs in the pen. Otherwise the AI pitches them for 1 inning or less, which is a waste of their extra stamina.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote