Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
MikeMontrealer
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Playoff Structures

Is there a listing of the various available playoff structures and how they work? Ideally this info would be in-game but right now if you switch to a different one it's not clear how it will work until you actually go through a few playoffs.

For instance, in my 36 team/2 conference/6 division NHL I chose one of the two identically named 16 team/8 per conference playoff modes (I can't check which one since it's not July 1) and I *thought* the way it worked was as follows:

1-3 seeds: Division winners
4-6 seeds: 2nd place in division
7-8 seeds: best two of three 3rd place in division teams

This is how it appears in the Conference view in the standings anyway:
Division view:

Conference view:

However, this year the 2nd place team in the Southeast (Pittsburgh) finished with less points than the 4th place team in the Northeast, so the playoff bracket looks like this:

So it looks like the real rule is something like:
-8 best point totals in conference
-Division winners are seeded first
-Second place are seeded next
-Third place are seeded next
-Fourth place are seeded next, etc...

I also discovered that once the bracket is set, it's set. Last season my Habs finished 2nd in the Northeast and was seeded 5th, while third place Quebec finished 3rd in the Northeast and was seeded 8th. We met in the conference finals but I was the visitor because they were on the top of the bracket (1 vs 8) and I was on the bottom of the bracket (4 vs 5). Typically you'd expect that not to be the case, but I can accept that as long as it's clear in the setup, which it's not.

Either we need a reference in the manual for each playoff system, or more detail in the rules edit screen for the leagues. I actually switched it because I had no idea how the NHL Playoffs setting would react to a six division structure, and I was guessing by changing the rule and then looking at how the standings screens would look (but with every team at 0 points on July 1st, it's only a hint and not a full understanding of what it will produce).

Thanks!
MikeMontrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:21 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

No way to see it at the moment, but it's something we'd like to improve in the interface for FHM6 (along with adding more playoff systems.)
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:51 AM   #3
Dkitson16
Major Leagues

More playoff systems would be great!
Dkitson16 is offline   Reply With Quote