Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-18-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
BKL
All Star Reserve

Outfield Deep

In general, when would you use Outfield Deep? The manual says to protect a lead, but you could also risk more hits getting in front of your outfielders, so is it a wash?
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
dunningrb
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKL View Post
In general, when would you use Outfield Deep? The manual says to protect a lead, but you could also risk more hits getting in front of your outfielders, so is it a wash?
This may not be definitive, but it's worth a read: Royals Outfield To Play Deep - Royals Review
Old 09-18-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
Mennogreg
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKL View Post

There is a saying, to compare it to the NFL's Prevent defense (most of the players hanging back to prevent a big play), the only thing it prevents is you from winning (because the offense is free to pile up short yardage). Outfield Deep isn't as bad, but I wouldn't use it to necessarily protect a lead. To give an example, let's say it's the 9th inning and you have a 1-run lead, and the first batter up is a power hitter. Outfield Deep may deny him from hitting a ball over the outfielder's heads and preventing a double, so instead of starting the inning with a runner on 2nd with three chances to get a hit to score him, he's instead on 1st and the opposing team will have to string together more hits to bring him in. So it's really a situational strategy, and not something you would leave on just to protect a lead.
Mennogreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:19 AM   #4
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mennogreg View Post
There is a saying, to compare it to the NFL's Prevent defense (most of the players hanging back to prevent a big play), the only thing it prevents is you from winning (because the offense is free to pile up short yardage). Outfield Deep isn't as bad, but I wouldn't use it to necessarily protect a lead. To give an example, let's say it's the 9th inning and you have a 1-run lead, and the first batter up is a power hitter. Outfield Deep may deny him from hitting a ball over the outfielder's heads and preventing a double, so instead of starting the inning with a runner on 2nd with three chances to get a hit to score him, he's instead on 1st and the opposing team will have to string together more hits to bring him in. So it's really a situational strategy, and not something you would leave on just to protect a lead.
This. It's known as the "no-doubles" defense. It's best used when you can afford to allow a shallow fly ball drop in, as opposed to letting a long fly ball drop in over the outfielder's head.
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Exactly. Use it when you want to avoid having a ball get past an outfielder for extra bases but are willing to give up a single instead.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Not to hijack the thread, on a related note; there's no double play depth on infield options. There's corners in, third baseman in, first baseman in, shift left (is that the fielder's left, or batter's left?), and shift right.

I understand if you got a guy on third with less than 2 out, you want to bring your infield in; likewise when you have a guy on first with less than 2 outs, you want to erase him on the next play. That's why you have your middle infielders bunched toward the middle, and deep.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infield options:

Infield Normal - Standard positioning.

Infield In - The infielders play in (closer to home plate). This option is usually used in a close game, with a runner on third, when you want to prevent the runner from scoring at all costs.

Corners In - The first and third basemen play in. This option is frequently used when a bunt is expected.

Third Baseman In - Only the third baseman plays in. This option is frequently used when a bunt from a right-handed batter is expected.

First Baseman In - Only the first baseman plays in. This option is frequently used when a bunt from a left-handed batter is expected.

Guard Lines - The first and third basemen play closer to their respective bases than usual, preventing balls from going down the lines. This option is often used to prevent teams from getting extra-base hits, at the risk of a greater chance of allowing a single.

Shift Left - The second baseman, shortstop, and third basemen all play between second and third base. This option is often used when a very strong pull hitting right-handed hitter is at bat, to increase the chance of successfully fielding a ball that is pulled to the left side of the infield.

Shift Right - The second baseman, shortstop, and first basemen all play between second and first base. This option is often used when a very strong pull hitting left-handed hitter is at bat, to increase the chance of successfully fielding a ball that is pulled to the right side of the infield.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Outfield Options

Outfield Normal - Standard positioning.

Outfield In - Outfielders play in (closer to home plate). This option is typically used late in a game when a runner is on base who represents the tying or winning run, and you want to prevent the run from scoring-at the risk of having a ball hit over an outfielder's head that he would normally have been able to catch.

Outfield Deep - Outfielders play deep. This option is typically used when you want to protect a lead and don't want to let balls get behind your outfielders for extra-base hits.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Infield options:

Infield Normal - Standard positioning.

Infield In - The infielders play in (closer to home plate). This option is usually used in a close game, with a runner on third, when you want to prevent the runner from scoring at all costs.

Corners In - The first and third basemen play in. This option is frequently used when a bunt is expected.

Third Baseman In - Only the third baseman plays in. This option is frequently used when a bunt from a right-handed batter is expected.

First Baseman In - Only the first baseman plays in. This option is frequently used when a bunt from a left-handed batter is expected.

Guard Lines - The first and third basemen play closer to their respective bases than usual, preventing balls from going down the lines. This option is often used to prevent teams from getting extra-base hits, at the risk of a greater chance of allowing a single.

Shift Left - The second baseman, shortstop, and third basemen all play between second and third base. This option is often used when a very strong pull hitting right-handed hitter is at bat, to increase the chance of successfully fielding a ball that is pulled to the left side of the infield.

Shift Right - The second baseman, shortstop, and first basemen all play between second and first base. This option is often used when a very strong pull hitting left-handed hitter is at bat, to increase the chance of successfully fielding a ball that is pulled to the right side of the infield.
So, yeah! Like I was saying, there's no option to improve odds of turning a double play. I've never liked the overshift IRL, but never used it in the game because I was confused as to who's right they were referring.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram2Whitaker View Post
So, yeah! Like I was saying, there's no option to improve odds of turning a double play. I've never liked the overshift IRL, but never used it in the game because I was confused as to who's right they were referring.
Now you know.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:32 AM   #11
harrumph
Minors (Rookie Ball)

In my experience, which at this point constitutes a pretty big sample size, neither batters' pull tendencies nor the shift options actually have any effect on the game. Pull hitters are just as likely as not to go to the opposite field, and when they do, even if the shift is supposed to be on, the play is just as likely to be made as if there were no shift.

That experience has made me pretty leery of the other defensive options, and at this point I only really use them to guard against bunts (and, because bunts pretty much all turn out the same way regardless, it's actually hard to tell whether bringing the corners in makes a difference either).

Have people actually had success playing the outfield deep or shallow?
harrumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:44 AM   #12
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, yeah! Like I was saying, there's no option to improve odds of turning a double play.
Normal depth is double-play depth. All other variations decrease the chances of turning a double play. I can't imagine how you can shift the infielders to "improve" your odds of getting a double play, apart from playing them in their normal positions.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #13
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Normal depth is double-play depth. All other variations decrease the chances of turning a double play. I can't imagine how you can shift the infielders to "improve" your odds of getting a double play, apart from playing them in their normal positions.
Traditionally the 2nd baseman and shortstop would play a little closer to second base than they otherwise would when playing at "double play depth".
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #14
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
You're to assume that, by default, your infielders will play double-play depth when the situation calls for it, unless you pick one of the shifts or infield in. Because there's no reason why they wouldn't play for the double-play unless it was a specific situation, like needing to cut down a runner at the plate, when you would play infield in.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason

Last edited by Cinnamon J. Scudworth; 09-20-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #15
Dubie1947
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
Traditionally the 2nd baseman and shortstop would play a little closer to second base than they otherwise would when playing at "double play depth".
Close, but double play depth is actually slightly different. In normal depth, the 2B and SS are setup deep, near to the outfield grass. At double play depth, both players setup closer (in between the outfield grass and the base line) so that they can get to second base quicker. The risk is that there is a greater chance that a hard hit ball will get past the fielder for a base hit.
Dubie1947 is offline   Reply With Quote