Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
bulldog55
Hall Of Famer

Optimal market size distribution

Has anyone ever determined what an optimal distribution of market sizes should be? How should you spread market sizes throughout your league?

Being smart, don't always make you popular.
bulldog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...r-markets.html
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

I wanted to bring this back up. I don't think the link really explains what the op is trying to ask or what my question is.

I already have a league set up and well past the inaugural draft. It's based of traditional cities and I'm not interested in aligning market size to population. I basically want the older teams in my league to get a bigger media contract so they have more money than my newer teams. To do that, I have to adjust the market sizes. What I don't want to happen is set too many high markets resulting in too much money in the league. Or on the flip side, I don't want too few dollars. I want the salaries to align up with the values I entered into the financials screen. Is there an average market size number I should use? How big of a difference will a MS1 be to a MS10?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Define optimal.

I use real life markets as close as I can get it, so it is optimal for me. Perhaps not, to someone else.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:43 AM   #5
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Define optimal.

I use real life markets as close as I can get it, so it is optimal for me. Perhaps not, to someone else.
Optimal would be ensuring that there is the right amount of money in the league. The system above doesn't work because it assumes that you are going to use a pre-assigned market size number, unless I'm understanding it wrong. Say for example I have a 10 team league, each from LA, every team would have a market size of 10 according to the system above. Then there will be too much money in the league and salaries will skyrocket.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

Last edited by jpeters1734; 12-10-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
SteveP

One piece of advice I can offer from my experience runs like this:

1. I don't use a spread of more than 10-12 levels from poorest to richest team (for example, 3 to 14).

2. I define a medium point around which most of the teams would cluster (for example 5 or 6).

3. I then place teams in the levels based on my own assessment of what seems to be the relative wealth in real life. Multi-team cities can be tricky, but most of the time, it's reasonable to assume the teams in those cases about going to be near the same (NYC might be considered an exception). But it ends up being a bell curve, not linear.

I have found with this approach that my league experiences some of the impact of differing wealth, without things getting too distorted or the AI doing unrealistic things -- which, come to think of it, is perhaps unrealistic in itself, considering the ridiculous contracts one sees in real life.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Optimal would be ensuring that there is the right amount of money in the league. The system above doesn't work because it assumes that you are going to use a pre-assigned market size number, unless I'm understanding it wrong. Say for example I have a 10 team league, each from LA, every team would have a market size of 10 according to the system above. Then there will be too much money in the league and salaries will skyrocket.
I think you are understanding what I meant wrong. I wouldn't have 10 teams from an LA size market in any league. It works just fine as long as some silly concepts are not applied.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Define optimal.

Ditto. And Jay's method works REALLY well.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #9
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
I wanted to bring this back up. I don't think the link really explains what the op is trying to ask or what my question is.

I already have a league set up and well past the inaugural draft. It's based of traditional cities and I'm not interested in aligning market size to population. I basically want the older teams in my league to get a bigger media contract so they have more money than my newer teams. To do that, I have to adjust the market sizes. What I don't want to happen is set too many high markets resulting in too much money in the league. Or on the flip side, I don't want too few dollars. I want the salaries to align up with the values I entered into the financials screen. Is there an average market size number I should use? How big of a difference will a MS1 be to a MS10?
The way I understand it, and what has worked for me, is this. Think of market sizes in OOTP as relative, not absolutes. 5 is the "average" market size in the game for that league. Teams with average market size will get around the "baseline" national/local media contracts that you set in the game for that league. Therefore, for the best distribution of media revenue, you want your actual average market size among the teams in that league to be roughly 5.

So, for example, a league with 8 teams with market sizes of 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 8, 10 (average = 5.5) will result in about the right amount of overall media revenue in your league. However, if this league's teams had market sizes of 4, 5, 7, 8, 8, 10, 10, 10 (average = 7.75) there will be a higher amount of overall media revenue in your league.

Note that this is just media revenue, though. Theoretically, fan interest and attendance could cause some inflation over time due to gate and merchandising revenue, but that's not really driven by market size.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason

Last edited by Cinnamon J. Scudworth; 12-10-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:23 AM   #10
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Thanks everyone. An average between5 and 6 is working well for me