Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > Grand Championship League

Old 01-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
coljesep
All Star Reserve

Commish Predictions: Palkowski Division

Note: These are simply just my own predictions of how things might shape up. They are not meant to insult anybody, they are meant for you to either prove me wrong – or prove me right.

Palkowski Division Preview:

7th Place: MABL

Offense: B
They have the guy who I think might win the HR crown this season in Firoz Noorani. The guy is a monster. Jose Ramirez will benefit from Noorani hitting around him as well, which givves MABL two very strong HR threats in the heart of the order. Gordon & Ray bring the speed you're looking for in the lineup. They are pretty thin outside of the four mentioned here, but those four are still very good and Noorani is going to be that big of a weapon for MABL.

Starting Pitching: D
They don't strike batters out, and have 3-4 guys who could possibly give up over 200 hits this season. Their defense is average at best, which means they should get burned by their pitchers more often than not. Hernandez, McNatt and Guy might be able to maintain an ERA in the low 4's, but there is likely no hope for Alford and Chapa.

Relief Pitching: D
Carl Wright is a pretty solid closer, he's not going to be in the top 5 at the end of the year but he is certainly good enough. The relievers around him however will not be getting the job done for MABL. They have poor control, and put way too many runners on base.

Wins Give or Take 5: 77

6th Place: United League

Offense: D+
6-8 of their offensive starters will end the year in double digit HR totals. That always helps. The problem though? 4, maybe 5 of their hitters will end the year with an OBP below .300. You can't win like that, you just can't. The team will finish with nobody having an OPS over .750, so they better have great pitching.

Starting Pitching: C+
They don't have great starting pitching, but it isn't terrible. Robby Dickson gives them a chance to win in every start he has just on his own talent - that's always a nice crutch to have. Rome & Garcia are nice complimentary 2-3 starters. They aren't stars by any stretch but they have enough stuff to be competitive.

Relief Pitching: D+
I think Ryan Blue is probably going to end the year in the top 5 for closers, always a nice warm fuzzy feeling for teams to have. Their middle relief however is going to make it a challenge to get Blue into the game. The bullpen however is a bit crowded right now, so perhaps a roster decision is coming after virtual April? Perhaps fewer options might make this bullpen more effective.

Wins Give or Take 5: 79

5th Place: ACBA

Offense: F
Here is a tough lesson ACBA will learn in this league. You can have all the speed in the world, but if you cannot get on base safely - you're only using that speed to get your spot on the bench. If ACBA has a qualifying hitter with an OPS above .700 after the season, I'd be shocked. There is almost no power, and literally no ability to get on base. The speed is undeniable. When guys like Duran get on base, they will get close to 50 steals - but they won't get on base more than 29%. The plus side? Their defense is probably going to be the best in the league. That's always nice. Overall, it's going to be a lot of low scoring games needed if ACBA wants to win.

Starting Pitching: A+
I think this staff will end up being the best in the league for a few reasons. First, let me be clear. They do not have a true #1 starter. Flores could be one in my eyes but he walks too many batters. Still, they have elite defense backing up good groundball pitchers. They will keep the ball inside the park, and allow their gold glovers to keep them safe. This will prove interesting for ACBA because their pitchers might end up losing a lot of 1-0 games.

Relief Pitching: B
The bullpen is similar to the starting staff except they do have an ace in Ordiales. Again, like the rotation - they will not give up many homeruns and will keep runners off the bases, at times thanks to the defense. The pitching certainly gives ACBA a chance to battle for most of the season. They could have been special had they drafted anybody with offensive ability.

Wins Give or Take 5: 80

4th Place: USoB

Offense: C+
Mike Coles leads this team as an MVP caliber talent. Coles is surrounded by some spectacular speed with Pena, Gragg and Mathews. Mathews is going to be a fun guy to watch. He has solid speed and an incredible talent for getting on base. Where they lack is probably their roleplaying talent just not being able to do enough. Coles cannot do it all in terms of run production, and this offense seems to be built around the hope that he can.

Starting Pitching: C-
Their staff simply just walks too many batters. I cannot say that enough, but a starting staff that gives at bats away is always going to get beat. Jarvis, Lucas and Phillips will be giving up way too many walks to have success. Cordero could be a 200K type guy, but he too will get into deep pitch counts because of the walk which will limit his success.

Relief Pitching: B-
They have a good bullpen, just not a great bullpen. But here's the thing - this bullpen is going to be exhausted throughout the year because of the starting staff. Four of their bullpen arms are in the twilight of their careers, and don't have the gas in the tank to have outing after outing. They just won't be able to keep up.

Wins Give or Take 5: 83

3rd Place: Corporate League

Offense: B-
This lineup doesn't impress with their power, even though they do have some power from guys like Ramon Gomez. Where they impress is their ability to get on base across the board. They have probably 4 guys who can get on base more than .375 which seems to be rare in this league. Herb Whitney gives them their speed threat which it would seem every good team has. Still, they are a little too base-to-base for me. I like the offense, I think they can do some damage but I think they need more game changing power to have great success.

Starting Pitching: C-
They don't have an ace, they don't strike batters out, but they don't kill themselves with walks either. So why the C-? They get crushed by the long ball. Three of their starters give up HR simply out of habit. They just don't have enough talent in the rotation to win a division.

Relief Pitching: C
I actually kind of like their bullpen, I just dislike their closer situation right now. Gibson had a 1.58 WHIP last season which followed a 1.47 WHIP - that's not a trend you like to see.

Wins Give or Take 5: 84

2nd Place: PATP

Offense: C-
They will hit for power thanks to guys like David Bradley. They will tear up the base paths thanks to guys like De-shi Tseng & Craig Zimmer. They will play solid defense around the diamond so why the C-? I think the bulk of this lineup will have a tough time hitting for average or getting on base. Heck, Tseng himself might have a low OBP as well. They have some talent, can't deny it. But, they don't have the talent 1-9 to warrant anything higher.

Starting Pitching: B
I like the rotation, mostly because I think they have a good defense and guys who battle in the rotation. No ace, so that's a strike against them for sure. They won't give up a ton of free bases which is always a plus, especially with all of the speed in this league. Still, they struggle to get the big time performance from their starters.

Relief Pitching: A
I love this bullpen. Gunter-Stone-Diaz-Alderdice-Robison, five guys who can shut down the game. That's a huge advantage for PATP - and if they hang in their with their starters, they could find themselves in the mix for a playoff spot solely because their bullpen is that good.

Wins Give or Take 5: 87

1st Place: OTBA

Offense: A
I think this will be the most productive offense in the league when we wrap up. They do everything pretty well. They have speed threats from Groenendijik, Roy, and Patterson. Two of those guys also hit for power along with Steve Hanson being a 15+ guy. They have guys who can hit for high average, and guys who specialize in OBP. They have everything you need to keep an offense going during the tough times.

Starting Pitching: A-
Just like ACBA, OTBA has elite defense and pitchers who put the ball in play via and rely on that defense. Still, guys like Hinton, Rios and Jewell are very good pitchers in spite of their lack of big K numbers. I think when it's all said and done they will be in the top 5, and likely can thank a few gold glovers for that.

Relief Pitching: B-
Like the starting staff - I like this bullpen though I do see how they might find themselves giving away a few games. But still, they don't beat themselves with walks and they don't get beat by the long ball. So they should benefit from being comfortable knowing their offense can bail them out as well as the defense behind them.

Wins Give or Take 5: 96
coljesep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

And of course the OTBA goes 0-3 after this prediction is made. Oh well, I knew there would be an 0-3 sim at some point!

OOTP Grand League Champion 2015

Last edited by kingcharlesxii; 01-02-2014 at 02:04 PM.
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
coljesep
All Star Reserve

I am well known in the VBL for my jinxes
coljesep is offline   Reply With Quote