Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 01-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #61
Dr. Brian
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricealum View Post
As a follow up to my previous point about defensive development, I would like to see prospects develop defensively in the minors as well as offensively.
Does this actually even happen in iOOTP? I've yet to see it. I have tons of players that never advance beyond 22/100. Any player drafted with high ratings is in the majors from the start. Never saw this after playing 40 seasons.
Dr. Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #62
canuck16
Bat Boy

The absolute must is an editor; the ability to edit an existing players stats and positions, as well as being able to create custom players is crucial. If I want to put myself in the Majors on my favourite team or create an all Canadian fictional league then I want to be able to change a players name, nation of origin, age, etc. If this resource is available within the save all the better, but I would be happy with a database editor before the new save is created.

I would also like some interaction with my owner. Specifically it would be cool to be able to defer a portion of budget or money made in a player sale to future seasons. I've re-built teams and it's frustrating when I play a season way below budget and I don't have the option to see any of that money on the field the next year.

Also a player personality page would be really cool. Things like work rate, leadership, and determination could influence how an individual player develops, as well as how well a team plays based on locker room stability. It would be fun getting e-mails stating that this player is butting heads with that player, or this deadline acquisition really solidified the locker room. Player personality could also lead to cool things like players becoming either legendary or a nuisance in the community.

Other then that I just have some minor quibbles.

The ability to add cash to trades on either side would be nice. It's a little frustrating that the AI can do this but I can't.

Text on the history page and in the news section occasionally have the text cut off at the bottom.

I saw somebody mention independent saves to solve the problem of accidentally drafting the wrong player and while that would be my preference, a simple option to turn on an "are you sure" page before drafting would be a nice add.

Just any amount of customization would be welcome: changing the name of the ballpark I play in, the option to turn on draft pick trading or recently drafted player trading, or perhaps the option to turn on a salary cap. Stuff like that.

*edit* Also the option to accept/deny a contract with a free agent after you have agreed to terms. I don't know how many times I've accidentally signed two players at the same position. The compensation for signing free agents needs work as well; If I lose a superstar and get a 4th as compensation and sign a mediocre player and give up a 1st that's insanely annoying.

Last edited by canuck16; 01-23-2014 at 05:36 PM.
canuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #63
russ99
Bat Boy

I'd love to see a little more variation on expected salaries when it comes to arbitration/FA signing.

Seems every decent young player wants $10-13M for the first payday and $18-20M for the second.

It would be cool to have different factors, like players taking less for wanting to stay with a contender and other players wanting to cash out, and different salary levels for positions, i.e. all but the top tier 2Bs sign for less.
russ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #64
hrkaplowitz
Bat Boy

Collecting ideas for iOOTP 2014

I haven't read all four pages of the replies in this thread, so forgive me if I repeat anything that's already been suggested.

In-game Stuff
• Just like a pitcher can choose to pitch around, I think batters should be able to choose their batting strategy. Maybe "make contact," "power swing," or "protect" could be your swing strategies in addition to "take pitch," "bunt," "hit and run," and "run and hit."

• Please address DH availability as defensive replacements. For instance, if I have Josh Willingham in the DH slot for a game and my LF gets injured and I want to plug him in at LF, I can't because the game won't let me change the position of DH players.

• I think it's great to be able to sim by half-innings, but I think simulations should be force-stopped when an injury occurs so you can replace the injured player with your choice of player, not the AI's choice.

• Guys with speed AND steal ratings of 18-20 should be automatic. Like get thrown out once in a blue moon and by catchers with at least league-average catcher arms. Billy Hamilton shouldn't be getting thrown out by Jesus Montero.

Trading
• With trading, human managers should be able to include cash considerations in a deal like the AI can.

• The idea of a "vastly overpaid veteran" is dumb. Yeah, some contracts become albatrosses, and it makes sense that they'd be hard to trade, but a 32-year-old SP with 2-star rating and a $5M/year 2-year contract is NOT a "vastly overpaid veteran." Hint: I'm talking about Kevin Correia.

Demotions/Roster Management
• I understand how sending an all-star or even an everyday player down to the minors would make him angry. But you shouldn't have to deal with a player's mood if he's a rookie getting sent down because your starter is coming off the DL. Basically, if a player has "No Expectations" or is a Bench player with less than, say 250 major league ABs, they shouldn't get upset when you demote them.

• Really, you should have the option to simply choose a player to send down when you have a player you want to send up. Like a swap. And this would remove the emotion from the situation. You would only use the demotion feature if you want to send the player a message.

• There should be an option to send players down that isn't a "demotion." Such as, we're sending you down to make room. Maybe you could implement a 40-man roster at the beginning of the season (like in real life), so you can send players down, but they stay on the 40-man roster, so they're not upset.

• I think it'd be great if the game had more realistic player promotion/demotion management. Like how players have 3 minor league options and, after their third trip down, they have to be exposed them to waivers.

• Also, you should be able to "rehab" a player off the Disabled List in the minor leagues as a way to either stall their promotion or keep them down in the minors because their replacement is performing well. When you currently assign them directly to the minors from the DL, they get all pissy.

Contracts/Arbitration
• We should get email notifications when a player becomes eligible for arbitration so we can begin the contract negotiating process immediately.

• Player and team options for contracts should be recognized for existing MLB contracts and should be available to Human and AI managers when they're generating contracts for their players. For instance, Johan Santana in real life had a team option for 2014 that the Mets decided not to pick up. In iOOTP 13, 2014 is the last year of Santana's contract with the Mets and you can't get out of it.

Minor League
There are a few small things you could do to make the minor league feature a better, more engrossing part of the game. More updates about the minor league team would make it feel more like you're running a baseball team. I think a lot of users like the player development aspect of the game the best.

• The Minor League should be two tiers — Double-A and Triple-A — and we should be able to assign players accordingly and that assignment should affect how they develop.

• We should get notifications of when a player is ready to be promoted so we don't miss our golden window to reap the rewards of their readiness.

• Maybe add a futures game or a minor league playoffs? Even if we can't play/sim it, but just knowing our minor league team made/won it?

• Monthly progress reports for 3-to-5-star prospects would be cool.

Honestly, I don't know about other users, but if some of the updates were implemented, I'd pay like $10 or $15 for this game. Maybe have a basic version for $4.99 and a deluxe version with more features and added functionality for more? And it could be a better bridge to OOTP for those who might eventually make the jump to a desktop platform.

Last edited by hrkaplowitz; 01-25-2014 at 10:56 AM.
hrkaplowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #65
williemctell
Bat Boy

android version

I'd love to see an Android version. I promised myself many years ago never to own an Apple device of any sort because of Apple's closed system business model. I love playing the game on a desktop computer and would like to be able to play it on my tablet.
williemctell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #66
Dkelley
Minors (Double A)

Exclamation Scouting

I think that you should add scouting in iootp 14 as well as a rookie draft pool to show you who will be in the draft, instead of just the projected top 10. I also think that there should be the ability to scout other countries. The minor leagues would be great even if it was not full, like having just double a and triple a and maybe class a with statistics to show when players are ready to be called up to the majors. I also think having a head coach would be great so he could help develop players, change the morale of the team, and get ejected. Add instant replay just like the MLB is so that the commentator can say something about it being a close play, and that the men upstairs in the booth will have to review the call. Please add actual logos, I can't put the logos in because my laptop is pretty old and cannot run the software to put the logos into iootp. Also, why is Clay Bucholz always so underrated in this game? Please make the development of players a little better because a lot of my rookies can't develop very easily. Also please add the player editor feature because then if there is a rating I am unsatisfied with I can change it myself. A 40 man roster would be nice, as well as not having rookies get angry when I send them down.

Last edited by Dkelley; 02-25-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Dkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #67
redsfan17
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I like your ideas, but I wonder if they can be done due to the memory usage of the devices. I would like to see some sort of minor league stats, it doesn't have to be a perfect system, perhaps a simulation of stats based on their ratings and age and level. That is another thing, levels of the minor leagues. They do not have to be full rosters, but just the guys you draft and the different levels might give the players a different development factor.
redsfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #68
Cypher74
Minors (Double A)

iOOTP14 in the works?

I dont' see anything on the forum anywhere about the next release. Do we know for sure this is actually happening? Have the developers replied at all with what we can expect?
Cypher74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #69
ZTO333
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher74 View Post
I dont' see anything on the forum anywhere about the next release. Do we know for sure this is actually happening? Have the developers replied at all with what we can expect?
They said on their twitter its coming out in April (might have month wrong) but no word yet on what new to expect. I'm sure we'll have more info soon.
ZTO333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #70
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTO333 View Post
They said on their twitter its coming out in April (might have month wrong) but no word yet on what new to expect. I'm sure we'll have more info soon.
I was surprised (but I shouldn't have been) that there was more news on Twitter than on the forums:
OOTP Baseball ‏@ootpbaseball Feb 6 @McLellan2 The iOS game will be out in April too. Look for a features list this month.

I'm now following them on twitter.
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #71
GoOs
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Great ideas, here are my thoughts:

Draft picks are not tradeable in real life, so why should they be in iOOTP? Maybe an option to turn on/off, but then we approach OOTP customization level

Compensation definitely needs to be fixed.

About the players on trade block before they get traded thing, the trade block is really only reserved for players the AI wants to get rid of. Lots of blockbuster deals are pulled with players that teams aren't actively shopping, like in real life. Also, wouldn't this limit you to only trading for players on the block?

And what do you mean by "batter type"? Like pull/spray hitter? I didn't even think that info was availible in iOOTP, only in OOTP. But maybe I'm wrong.

A side-suggestion to your development one, add the ability to learn a new position. Sometimes I'm forced to put high-rated 2B as 0-rated SS because of depth issues, but after a few years at short, they haven't gained a point.
This is not completely correct. Compensation picks are tradeable.
GoOs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #72
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoOs View Post
This is not completely correct. Compensation picks are tradeable.

Could be. But if you make compensation picks tradeable then you might as well make all picks tradeable. Like I said, an on/off button would suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #73
RQIII
Bat Boy

Hit Streaks

Hit streak tracker? Simple but fun, it can sometimes be like a game inside of itself.
RQIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #74
BradC
All Star Starter

Sorry, I missed the last few comments in this thread last month. I handle the Facebook and Twitter accounts. Thanks to those who liked us on FB and are following us on Twitter.

Yes, iOOTP 2014 is definitely coming out. I don't know exactly what new features you should expect, but Markus solicited some thoughts from me several weeks ago and I sent ideas to him and Sebastian.

An Android version is definitely on our to-do list too, but I don't know right now if it will happen this year. We want the game on Android too, though, so we want to make it happen. As I understand it, PISD needs to port a middleware library to Android first, since we use it in iOOTP - I'm not 100% sure if that has happened yet.

The problem is, PISD is a one-man shop (Paul, who also does the Linux version of OOTP and now publishes TBCB), and our resources are maxed out, so unfortunately things we want to do don't always happen as quickly as we want. But eventually they get done.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #75
paul.m.w.
Major Leagues

You know Brad, Sebastian and Mark...,
( one day..!) if you ever find a Japanese fluent ( I'm not anywhere near yet) programmer;
This would roll strong here in Tokyo. So many iphone carrying baseball(やきゅ) loving, and train riding possibilities.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #76
russ99
Bat Boy

I'd love to see historical draft pools for seasons after historical startups.

It's not the same when playing multiple seasons after the historical year with fake picks. Mogul does this so it's possible.

Also, add some free agents to the FA pool for historical seasons would be nice even if they're fakes. There are no in-season FAs available in historical seasons, which makes things tough when the injury bug strikes if you have a weak farm system or traded prospects for established players.
russ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:02 AM   #77
ms2002
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Sorry, I missed the last few comments in this thread last month. I handle the Facebook and Twitter accounts. Thanks to those who liked us on FB and are following us on Twitter.

Yes, iOOTP 2014 is definitely coming out. I don't know exactly what new features you should expect, but Markus solicited some thoughts from me several weeks ago and I sent ideas to him and Sebastian.

An Android version is definitely on our to-do list too, but I don't know right now if it will happen this year. We want the game on Android too, though, so we want to make it happen. As I understand it, PISD needs to port a middleware library to Android first, since we use it in iOOTP - I'm not 100% sure if that has happened yet.

The problem is, PISD is a one-man shop (Paul, who also does the Linux version of OOTP and now publishes TBCB), and our resources are maxed out, so unfortunately things we want to do don't always happen as quickly as we want. But eventually they get done.
I know there's been discussion about getting iOOTP on Android for the past few versions. I hope the additional work can be put in to find a way this year. Football Manager seems to be doing quite well on Android.
ms2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #78
daves
Hall Of Famer

Shop player around, set trading difficulty and more commish controls.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #79
curtneedsaride
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Two things I would like to see most:

1. iPhone 5 optimization so it will fill the screen for newer devices.

2. Manual Saves as well as Auto Saves (2 different save files).

I know it may up the file size a little, but Football Manager (published by Sega) has a good working example of what I'm inquiring about. There you have the ability to manually save whenever you want, but it also auto saves. However, these are two different save files. So when you go to load a game, you can select either your manual save OR the auto save.

It really helps when I accidentally substitute the wrong player or in the case of iOOTP, I would use it when I accidentally bunt instead of selecting take pitch. If that happens, I could theoretically exit the current game, go back to the main menu, and load my manual save right before the current game, and start that game all over. I've bunted more times than I can count, and every time I wished I could go back and start that game over.
curtneedsaride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #80
curtneedsaride
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'd also like to see the pitch count listed on screen. It's frustrating not knowing the pitch count if I've already left the dialogue with the cartoony announcer.

And for some reason, my taps don't register right on a box. I have to tap above the box I want to select. I often end up bunting when I am trying to take a pitch. And I sometimes wish I could take a pitch with a full count instead of having to swing. If I am playing manually, I should be able to take all the pitches.
curtneedsaride is offline   Reply With Quote