Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
CybrSlydr
Bat Boy

What do you wish you knew when you first picked up OOTP?

I'm brand new to the series - I come as a Football Manager player (FM13 is my first FM and I have almost 550 hrs in it). I sorely miss a good baseball game on the PC and asked over at Operation Sports if OOTP 14 was for me. They said that if I liked FM, I'd like this, so here I am!

I'm just wondering what us newbies should know that you vets wish you knew when you first started - always nice to get a head start!

Thanks!
CybrSlydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Canuck
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Don't try and revive the careers of guys like Valverde or Zambrano. Sign Wilson 4m over 5 years, he'll be worth every penny of it.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
CybrSlydr
Bat Boy

Well, I'm a Pirates fan - so I'm intelligent enough to not try and sign those guys. Unlike some people... lmfao
Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
CybrSlydr
Bat Boy

What about things like game mechanics, how things work and how aspects intermingle with others?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
jm47048
All Star Starter

I think that the biggest draw for this game is the immersion. Get a mod. Find logos. Work with facegen. Do things that make the game as real as possible to you. The game will then handle itself. Read stats. Every stat. And I find that after every game I sim I take a closer look again at the FA list because if I don't keep up with it, I lose out. I have had some really horrible seasons and I have won championships and the methods don't change, but the league does. So just have fun and make the game what you want!

World Series Champions

1923, 1927, 1928, 1932, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1943, 1947, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1956, 1958, 1961, 1962, 1977, 1978, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2009

American League Champions

1921, 1922, 1923, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1932, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1947, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2009
jm47048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

If you understand baseball, then there is nothing else to "wish I had known".

It's like every other computer program in the world. It has menus, it can be overwhelming, it can be easy. If you're good on computers and with software you'll figure it out pretty quickly. The key is to explore the game, don't be afraid to try changing settings. You don't learn anything if you don't get your hands dirty.

Best thing to do when you first get the game is create a small league and then start playing with the various settings to find what you like best. Post questions on the forums as you go, most people here are only too glad to help.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 04-15-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
glenwillett
Bat Boy

Re: What do you wish you knew when you first picked up OOTP?

I wish I had realized you could releasr multiple guys at a time... I wasted countless hours on various incarnations of this game right clicking and releasing people after the draft until someone here opened my eyes last year.
glenwillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Mitchman11
Bat Boy

haha took me a week to figure out (and happened so by accident) that right clicking will close a player profile.

I just always kept clicking the back button over and over which was a complete pain in the rear. Especially when you looked at many pages on the profile lol.
Mitchman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
cavebutter
All Star Starter

I wish I had known more about how option years work. Particularly in regards to how the game handles options and non-roster invitees to Spring Training. The short answer is that there are no non-roster invitees in OOTP and if you have a guy in Spring Training then sending him down costs an option year.

There's a lot of discussion about options on the boards, and I recommend reading through them.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
cavebutter
All Star Starter

I just thought of another one, though it's a bit more esoteric. If it doesn't make sense to you, don't worry about it, but if you are planning a universe that has more than one major league, it's best if those leagues' seasons start and end around the same time.

If not, you will see a lot of free agents from League A sign contracts with League B right after A's season ends, only to be released by League B as soon B's season ends. The player will see no playing time in League B.

It doesn't mess anything up per se, but it makes players' histories hard to follow and makes off-season acquisitions hard to manage.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
Tribe Fan 24
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwillett View Post
I wish I had realized you could releasr multiple guys at a time... I wasted countless hours on various incarnations of this game right clicking and releasing people after the draft until someone here opened my eyes last year.
Hey glenwillett.....or anyone for that matter.......

Would you care to post how you do this? I have so many garbage players in my minor leagues that I want rid of, and I want to release several players at once. Is there a way to do that without wiping out your whole minor league?

Thank you.....I dread having to go through and spend a large amount of time deleting these players one by one by one.

TF24

Proud Papa of Caroline Grace (b. 2005) Kaeden Michael (b. 2008) and Claire Elise (b. 2012)
Tribe Fan 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
Neolithic
Minors (Double A)

Use the "bubbles" on the left edge of the lists to select more than 1 player at a time, then when you right click on one of the names you have filled the bubble in on, it will be a context menu for all of them not just 1.

The other way, is to select the bubble on the "title bar" of the list, which will select everyone in the list, then you can just go and "unbubble" the players you don't want selected.
Neolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
bcduggan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithic View Post
Use the "bubbles" on the left edge of the lists to select more than 1 player at a time, then when you right click on one of the names you have filled the bubble in on, it will be a context menu for all of them not just 1.

The other way, is to select the bubble on the "title bar" of the list, which will select everyone in the list, then you can just go and "unbubble" the players you don't want selected.

Also this year you can select the bubbles of players you want to offer minor league contracts to and offer all those selected minor league deals. Nice quick new feature.
bcduggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
Tribe Fan 24
All Star Reserve

Thank you fellas!

Proud Papa of Caroline Grace (b. 2005) Kaeden Michael (b. 2008) and Claire Elise (b. 2012)
Tribe Fan 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #15
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

Use the bookmark function - you can really save a lot of time by marking the top 5 or 6 screens you use the most and can access them via the function key.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #16
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Use the bookmark function - you can really save a lot of time by marking the top 5 or 6 screens you use the most and can access them via the function key.
QFT

I wish there were more bookmark hot keys available.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
Aumakua
Major Leagues

Read through these boards first! find out what you want the game to do for you and figure out how to get there... If you are playing a historic league, fictional league, or current league, there are many things you need to research and do differently.

#1 thing IMO is to get mods! especially logo/jersey ones it adds a lot to the game, and if you are decent at photoshop type programs you can add your own teams to the game or "update" logos the way you think they should be.

I have personally spend days on logos and baseball cards as I love the features and think it adds so much depth to the game. Baseball cards are saved, so you can flip through them later.
Aumakua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
yougo1000
All Star Reserve

I wish I knew how to properly manage a farm team
Bulls
Hawks
and Kansas JayHawks
yougo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
ronaldo9
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
I'm brand new to the series - I come as a Football Manager player (FM13 is my first FM and I have almost 550 hrs in it). I sorely miss a good baseball game on the PC and asked over at Operation Sports if OOTP 14 was for me. They said that if I liked FM, I'd like this, so here I am!

I'm just wondering what us newbies should know that you vets wish you knew when you first started - always nice to get a head start!

Thanks!
Like you, I also come here from FM...I love the detail and the many ways you can play the game. What I wish I knew about FM was about loading databases and certain packs *before* I started a save. Does such a problem exist in OOTP and what mods would everyone recommend to install before beginning play?
ronaldo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

Maybe this is trite, but it's true. If you spend any kind of time setting up a league, be sure to save frequently as you work. I run an older computer, so I imagine it happens to me more than others, but OOTP just crashes once in a while, especially when setting up/editing leagues. Save often so you don't lose work.

And once you get into a season, back up often. I set for automatic weekly backups, but you might do it more.

Advice serves for any computer software, but who cares about work documents and school papers? Losing OOTP work REALLY hurts!
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote