Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 01-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #441
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Nutlaw told me to contact Markus directly, saying he doesn't frequent the Beta Forum since it has basically shut down after the release of the game several months ago. This is the first time I went direct, feeling the Beta Forum was the best way to communicate with him.

I sent Markus an email and expressed my views on the low priority of the PBP and News.

Here is his quick reply:

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for your thoughts The text part of the game will be a priority
this year, and we'll start with the process very soon once we open the new
beta forum. So stay tuned

Thanks!
Markus

I have told Steve/battists I would be willing to serve again. I hope the other frustrated Text Team member/s will give it one more shot, too.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #442
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #443
Cork55
All Star Starter

If this is true, I will definately help again with the PbP and news articles.

-Cork55
Cork55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #444
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Glad to hear that, C55! Now we need to get tysok on board!
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #445
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Glad to hear that, C55! Now we need to get tysok on board!
It would be great if tysok comes back and Markus does what he says.

Actions speak much louder than words.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-23-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #446
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
I have told Steve/battists I would be willing to serve again. I hope the other frustrated Text Team member/s will give it one more shot, too.
Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
Let us sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here again!

1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #447
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
Let us sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here again!

(Geez, that boy doesn't need nuclear steam….)
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #448
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
(Geez, that boy doesn't need nuclear steam….)
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #449
Afino
Hall Of Famer

Great news, guys!

(just realized that's a HORRIBLE pun - I hope great news is made!! )

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #450
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet,but on the 20 game hitting streak news item,the stadium mentioned is wrong,I'm playing as the Phillies and Greg Luzinski's hit streak reached 20 games in Wrigley Field,here's the news item.

Last edited by PhillieFever; 01-20-2011 at 09:37 AM.
PhillieFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #451
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillieFever View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet,but on the 20 game hitting streak news item,the stadium mentioned is wrong,I'm playing as the Phillies and Greg Luzinski's hit streak reached 20 games in Wrigley Field,here's the news item.
Thanks for posting this error.

This has shown up quite a bit in OOTP9. It is in Bugzilla already.

I think this has to be fixed by Markus, but I will check the Text Database just to be sure.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #452
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Apologies if these aren't useful; I haven't checked for line numbers in the xml file, and I haven't been keeping track of version changes, so maybe these have been fixed already. Hopefully they're easy enough to locate with a search:

-in one of the injury stories (for a season ender), the text "The [team name] [position] received [injury description]" appears, which just doesn't read well - this can end up saying "The Cardinals shortstop received a fractured fibula..." The verb 'received' should be replaced with 'suffered' or 'sustained'. In case it helps to locate the story, it later says "Club officials told BNN they did not expect him to return to the team this season." (and 'did' here should probably be replaced with 'do', since otherwise it implies either that the club officials have since changed their minds, or that the player has already returned, contrary to the expectations of the officials).

-there are (at least) two typos in the text scouting reports: 'reliver' should be 'reliever', and 'non-existant' should be 'non-existent'.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #453
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
Apologies if these aren't useful; I haven't checked for line numbers in the xml file, and I haven't been keeping track of version changes, so maybe these have been fixed already. Hopefully they're easy enough to locate with a search:

-in one of the injury stories (for a season ender), the text "The [team name] [position] received [injury description]" appears, which just doesn't read well - this can end up saying "The Cardinals shortstop received a fractured fibula..." The verb 'received' should be replaced with 'suffered' or 'sustained'. In case it helps to locate the story, it later says "Club officials told BNN they did not expect him to return to the team this season." (and 'did' here should probably be replaced with 'do', since otherwise it implies either that the club officials have since changed their minds, or that the player has already returned, contrary to the expectations of the officials).

-there are (at least) two typos in the text scouting reports: 'reliver' should be 'reliever', and 'non-existant' should be 'non-existent'.
Thanks for posting the errors.

I will track them down and fix.

(EDIT) Found them. They are fixed.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 02-03-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #454
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

I have just gotten into my league's second season, but this time I am using OOTP9.

In the opening intro for the game, I keep seeing New York or some other U. S. city listed as the game site instead of my league's team home city.

Anyone ever have this problem?

Last edited by Eugene Church; 02-07-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #455
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

I figured out the problem.

On the team editor screen, it is showing another team in the "city search" section. That is the source of the problem. Apparently whatever city's name is listed here is used in the opening intro when you play out your games.

My league shows the United States as the nation, but it is a fictional league set in the fictional country of Islandia.

I change the U. S. city listed in the "city search" to the name of the team in my league and hit "enter" so it will register the change, but when I close it out and go back to that screen the AI has switched it back to the U. S. city again.

I expanded from 24 to 64 teams in my league. The original 24 teams were imported from a custom-made league and I just added 40 more teams, but they were given names of U. S. cities. I changed them to my nation's cities. It works fine except on the opening intro when you play out your games. The wrong city name is there.

I think I will have to create a nation named Islandia to solve this problem.

I will read the manual and see if I can create my fictional nation.

If anyone has a quick answer to help me, it would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #456
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

I did a workaround and it solved my problem.

I switched the league nation to Cayman Islands and then put in the names of my cities and the problem went away.

My only worry now is if the talent level of my league will drop to the level of the Cayman Islands.

Does anyone know anything about that part of the game?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #457
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Cubby told me it would not affect the talent level.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #458
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Admittedly, this is out of place here. Apologies, but it's bearing is that in omitting this, a real opportunity is being missed in the pbp. I hope we can include and focus on this area during the v10 beta process.

One of the elements, I think, we're really missing in the commentary is the occasional - I wouldn't mind seeing it very frequently, if it were me - wrap up of player performance in the game thus far, aside from the "he's gone 1 for 4 today with a walk."

I like the idea of including a more expanded look at that performance, e.g. "Benson's walked once today, grounded out twice, and hit a deep one to right that would have cleared the wall if not for Davidson's outstanding leap." I know that's a bit ambitious, but if we're going to focus on improvement, let's focus on expanding what works well already in a text sim: the text.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #459
Cornelius McGillicuddy
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
I'm very glad to see all of this. Makes me seriously consider purchasing v10. Now if Markus includes a save feature in the middle of pbp games it will be a definite.
Cornelius McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #460
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Admittedly, this is out of place here. Apologies, but it's bearing is that in omitting this, a real opportunity is being missed in the pbp. I hope we can include and focus on this area during the v10 beta process.

One of the elements, I think, we're really missing in the commentary is the occasional - I wouldn't mind seeing it very frequently, if it were me - wrap up of player performance in the game thus far, aside from the "he's gone 1 for 4 today with a walk."

I like the idea of including a more expanded look at that performance, e.g. "Benson's walked once today, grounded out twice, and hit a deep one to right that would have cleared the wall if not for Davidson's outstanding leap." I know that's a bit ambitious, but if we're going to focus on improvement, let's focus on expanding what works well already in a text sim: the text.
Agree with you, endgame. This would be great to have in the game, but like you say, it is quite ambitious. But we can try and see what we can do.