Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
pilight
All Star Starter

Names

I discovered something pretty amazing today.

The RFG gave me a fighter from the Isle of Man named Haywood Washington. That seemed off, so I looked under Nations and sure enough the Isle of Man gets English (US) names 100% of the time. I changed it to English (UK), since Manx is not an option, and the game popped up Notepad. I closed it, but noticed that the game did not give me the opportunity to save my changes. I exited Nations, went back in, and it had reverted to English (US). I tried the Heard and McDonald Islands and got the same result. Then, just to make sure it wasn't something peculiar to English, I tried to change Indonesia from Indonesian to Australian. Still no luck. I came to the board and searched for other people who had the same problem and found that to change the language associated with a country you must also change the frequency number. Even if you change it back immediately, the game then gives you the Save button and will change whatever changes you make.

That was not the amazing discovery, but it led me to it.

I recalled my frustration at the inability to add new language groups. 40 is not nearly sufficient for a worldwide sport like boxing. I had tried to add an Israeli group, as their names aren't like any of the existing groups, but it hadn't worked. Every time I tried to change Israel to Israeli, the game had just popped up the Notepad. I assumed at the time it was a hard coded limit on the number of language groups. After seeing the Notepad pop up on any change, I decided to try it again. I added a new XML file, number 40, and named it Israeli. I added names from a file someone over on the OOTP boards developed for a similar purpose to the txt files. I went back into the game, under Nations, and changed Israel to Israeli then changed the frequency from 100 to 10 then back to 100. The game gave me the Save button and I clicked it. I exited Nations, went back in, and Israeli had stuck as the language group for Israel! I then went to the RFG to make sure it would generate names from that group. I generated 25 Israeli fighters. All 25 came out with names from the new group!

The bottom line is, unlike OOTP, TBCB does not have a hard limit of 40 language groups. I've added seven to my fictional universe (Israeli, Icelandic, Mongolian, Thai, Baltic, and Georgian) and they all work just fine. There probably is a limit to how many you can have. I'd be shocked if you could have a separate one for each country, for example. But it is possible to add new language groups in this game.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote