Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #21
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
those are roster changes, not strategy sliders.

Fair point, but I think going full opposite on sliders to what the team should do can be self-destructing enough in most cases.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #22
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliathus View Post
Fair point, but I think going full opposite on sliders to what the team should do can be self-destructing enough in most cases.
I honestly doubt it. The way the sliders work, like even if you do something stupid like push "sacrifice bunts" all the way to the max...your players aren't gonna bunt thousands of times or anything. The max is still within a pre-determined range of reasonableness as calculated by the LTMs. I'd be really surprised if it swung things enough on its own. Perhaps some experiments are in order...
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #23
Josquin
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I honestly doubt it. The way the sliders work, like even if you do something stupid like push "sacrifice bunts" all the way to the max...your players aren't gonna bunt thousands of times or anything. The max is still within a pre-determined range of reasonableness as calculated by the LTMs. I'd be really surprised if it swung things enough on its own. Perhaps some experiments are in order...
There's an experiment ongoing...

I will publish results when there is enough of a sample.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #24
Josquin
Minors (Triple A)

So far, so good. With a few adjustments to the strategy sliders and giving all my starters a 50-pitch limit, my team is in last place in the division. Only three teams in the league have worse records, so relegation is within reach. If not, some tinkering with ballpark factors next season should get me over the hump.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 08-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #25
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Having played 3 teams through 21 seasons, and finding myself pretty much frozen where I'm at since I won't pay the high price to improve my teams to whales at this point - I do have to wonder what harm would be done to anyone, including OOTP, if there was a (total) reset option on a team where you would give up all your players and get a new 6 pack pull for a new start?

1. Since the teams that are not spending money would likely be the ones to start over, there's an outside chance they would re-spend some small amounts to build a new team from scratch.

2. OOTP wouldn't "lose" any money - and just might earn a little bit due to #1 above.

3. Teams that dropped out to start over would leave room for more teams to move up and try their hand at the whales.

I fully understand why you can't provide a reset AND keep your players, but why not if you gave them all up to start over?

I would bet more people would stay with the game the second half of the year given that option than how many will still be playing by the holidays the way it works now.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #26
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

you'd have to limit it somehow otherwise people would just keep restarting until they pull the perfect 6 packs
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:23 PM   #27
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
Having played 3 teams through 21 seasons, and finding myself pretty much frozen where I'm at since I won't pay the high price to improve my teams to whales at this point - I do have to wonder what harm would be done to anyone, including OOTP, if there was a (total) reset option on a team where you would give up all your players and get a new 6 pack pull for a new start?

1. Since the teams that are not spending money would likely be the ones to start over, there's an outside chance they would re-spend some small amounts to build a new team from scratch.

2. OOTP wouldn't "lose" any money - and just might earn a little bit due to #1 above.

3. Teams that dropped out to start over would leave room for more teams to move up and try their hand at the whales.

I fully understand why you can't provide a reset AND keep your players, but why not if you gave them all up to start over?

I would bet more people would stay with the game the second half of the year given that option than how many will still be playing by the holidays the way it works now.

Your number 1 is very unlikely. A player that played for free up until now is very unlikely to suddenly start spending money 5-6 months into a game's lifespan that typically lasts a year just because they are given a reset option.

I obviously don't work for OOTP so I wouldn't have access to the numbers, but it also wouldn't surprise me that the % of revenue is way down now compared to the first few months of the game's release ; people that want to spend on the game to gain a competitive advantage tend to do that in the early stages of a game's release. At least that's my understanding from various sources I read on the subject.

That being said, having an option to reset a team once with all your players reset so you can start from scratch with 1000 points and 6 packs and willingly forfeit the points you purchased so far seem like an acceptable tool, but I would make it so it's only a one time deal so people don't abuse the system.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #28
ubernoob
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
you'd have to limit it somehow otherwise people would just keep restarting until they pull the perfect 6 packs
Not saying I agree with the idea, but that doesn't stop mobile games from making money.

Most people serious about gacha games uninstall and re-install until they get a good draw.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #29
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

A reset for a $25 fee might make sense. World of Warcraft charges you something like that to change servers.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #30
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

A couple responses;

1) eldur00; Take me for example. I've spent maybe $200 total and that investment got me teams that rose fairly quickly, were fun to watch, and earned a lot of APs early to keep me interested. But 21 weeks into it, I'm done because I would have to spend (at least) $500 to even see a blip in the radar. However, if I could reset and start over? I would likely spend that $200 again because the improvement I would see is likely going to be more noticeable that spending on the current teams, and it would give me another few months to enjoy the team building again.

2) I wouldn't argue about a small charge to restart, but I have to wonder; is it a bad thing if people were to reset 12 times to get a team they liked? Again, it doesn't hurt anyone, and they certainly are not going to pull a perfect level team no matter how many times they reset.

3) As far as a charge, I would think more like $10 would be reasonable - 25% of the game cost - for each reset is a charge was necessary.

Just something to think about.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #31
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
A reset for a $25 fee might make sense. World of Warcraft charges you something like that to change servers.

That's comparing apples and oranges. Someone who changes servers in WoW doesn't start from scratch. A more comparable would be to create a new character on the server, for which there is no fee. Even then, we can't really compare a card collectible game with an MMORPG. For instance, trading among characters on the same account on nearly all MMORPGs is totally legal.

A better comparison would be to compare to what mobile games do, because like it or not, PT plays a lot more like a mobile game than it does a computer game.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:39 PM   #32
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
A couple responses;

1) eldur00; Take me for example. I've spent maybe $200 total and that investment got me teams that rose fairly quickly, were fun to watch, and earned a lot of APs early to keep me interested. But 21 weeks into it, I'm done because I would have to spend (at least) $500 to even see a blip in the radar. However, if I could reset and start over? I would likely spend that $200 again because the improvement I would see is likely going to be more noticeable that spending on the current teams, and it would give me another few months to enjoy the team building again.

2) I wouldn't argue about a small charge to restart, but I have to wonder; is it a bad thing if people were to reset 12 times to get a team they liked? Again, it doesn't hurt anyone, and they certainly are not going to pull a perfect level team no matter how many times they reset.

3) As far as a charge, I would think more like $10 would be reasonable - 25% of the game cost - for each reset is a charge was necessary.

Just something to think about.

I don't think there needs to be a fee. The team that's generated from the newbie packs can have decent cards, but it's not the end all be all. If the reason people want a fee is because they are afraid people will reroll until they get a valuable gold card to sell on the AH and get ahead that way, simply make the cards from the newbie packs unsellable.
As for re-spending the same amount of money to get into the exact same position you're in...it's your prerogative for sure, but I can't see many people willingly shelling out the same amount of money just to be stuck in the same place they were in to start with.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #33
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldur00 View Post
I don't think there needs to be a fee. The team that's generated from the newbie packs can have decent cards, but it's not the end all be all. If the reason people want a fee is because they are afraid people will reroll until they get a valuable gold card to sell on the AH and get ahead that way, simply make the cards from the newbie packs unsellable.
As for re-spending the same amount of money to get into the exact same position you're in...it's your prerogative for sure, but I can't see many people willingly shelling out the same amount of money just to be stuck in the same place they were in to start with.
Although the end result of a Perfect Level Championship is always the goal, it's a goal few achieve. The team building is the ultimate enjoyment for most players.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #34
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

(posted twice, sorry)

Old 08-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #35
Josquin
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josquin View Post
So far, so good. With a few adjustments to the strategy sliders and giving all my starters a 50-pitch limit, my team is in last place in the division. Only three teams in the league have worse records, so relegation is within reach. If not, some tinkering with ballpark factors next season should get me over the hump.
Success! My team is back in Diamond, with absolutely no roster moves or lineup changes.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #36
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josquin View Post
Success! My team is back in Diamond, with absolutely no roster moves or lineup changes.
Pretty interesting. I kind of suspect that putting the 50 pitch count on your entire rotation would have outweighed the effect of the strategy sliders though. Isn't your bullpen pitching tired pretty much every day with that setup? Anyways...I'm running another test this week too, with just the sliders - will let you know.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #37
Josquin
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Pretty interesting. I kind of suspect that putting the 50 pitch count on your entire rotation would have outweighed the effect of the strategy sliders though. Isn't your bullpen pitching tired pretty much every day with that setup? Anyways...I'm running another test this week too, with just the sliders - will let you know.
The pitch count was responsible for some bullpen losses for sure, but I noticed that it wasn't always respected, and sometimes my starters would even pitch complete games in spite of it.

By the way, we appear to be in the same Perfect League with your SmallBallers. You will have to contend with the Bronx Bombers in your conference, while my conference is clear of any whales. Should be an interesting season. Good luck to you!
Old 08-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #38
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
But the first six packs are “rigged” in a way as to where you only get one gold and 25 players to cover all positions.

I would be fine with free resets. Your cards sell for quick sell value, your allowed one reset per week and you get put into the entry pool.
And your achievements do not reset.
i.e the PP for the first win and first HR etc do not happen again.

Resets IMO would alleviate some of the frustrations with this mode if they were done right.

I don’t agree with charging money for them. This is not a FTP game. It’s a FTP mode within a paid game.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #39
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

I put this in as a feature suggestion

Quote:

in the beta forums, with a couple small twists. This is a way to reinvigorate players who find there's no mountain left to climb.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #40
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Anyways...I'm running another test this week too, with just the sliders - will let you know.
So, the last three weeks my "Balancers" have been running the worst possible strategy sliders I could imagine.

Previously, all strategy sliders were set to "neutral" and this team was close to .500 in diamond for six straight weeks.

The past three weeks were not really noticeably different. They were slightly above .500 in terms of run differential. Last week they actually won the world series...that was a lucky fluke but still.

I am definitely having doubts as to how much the strategy sliders really can affect things.