Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:46 AM   #1
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

History of Baseball - OOTP19 version

Pretty well every year going all the way back to OOTP2 I have done some sort of historical sim dynasty and this year with OOTP19 upon us will be no different. What will change is I am going to post it in the historical section instead of the dynasty board. The main reason I am posting it here is I want a major focus of this dynasty to be on sharing different ideas or tips as well as comparing results from the many replays we all do. A big part of the sharing on my end was providing the step by step instructions to add additional minor leagues for the 1901-1930 time frame. I used this approach in this dynasty to give a lot of the the pre-1930 Negro and minor leaguers a place to play.

I am trying something a little different for me in this replay and that is thanks to some of the things I have read in this sub-forum. I am going to use the 3 year recalculate option for really the first time in any of my sims. It is a bit of a change for me as I have always preferred to strictly use the game’s development engine because I want different career arcs. One of the great things about this game is there are so many different ways to play. I know on the historical side many swear by as-played lineups and strive for great accuracy in their results as compared to real life. There is nothing wrong with that but for me it wasn’t what I was looking for. Yes, I want fairly realistic totals as I can’t have Joe Hauser hit 1000 homers, but if he approaches 500 for his career I could live with that...and that happened in one of my early replays which caused me to research in pretty good detail Hauser’s career and life. That is the joy in the game for me. If everyone performed as they did in real life I might as well just scour the pages of baseball reference with no need to play the game. Instead I find myself longing to learn more about the player when someone like Frank Snook has a great year or career in one of my sims.

Thanks to previous versions of my annual sim I now know about Mahlon Higbee, the tragic end to Walt Lerian’s life and I am probably the only person in the world who’s favorite all time baseball player is Cliff Markle. Markle, who’s photo is my avatar, became a legend to me after an amazing career in an early version of my old History of Baseball replays despite winning just a dozen games in real life over a 5 season major league career. He is not the only little known player to capture my attention and with the addition of the Negro Leagues and minors to OOTP there are so many more.

For example I did not know that former Pittsburgh Steelers owner Art Rooney was a minor league pitcher until my OOTP18 replay when he became a decent major league hurler for several seasons. Or how many knew about Negro League player Jack Hannibal? A boxer who moonlighted as a baseball player, Hannibal made history in my sim last year after joining Oscar Charleston in breaking the MLB color barrier 25 years before Jackie Robinson when the two outfielders jumped from the rebel Federal League to the New York Giants.

In most previous sims I would focus heavily on early decades and rarely have much attention devoted to later years. I want to change that so this replay I quick simmed until 1965 and will pick up the story from there but with plenty of time devoted to looking back at the first 65 years as well.
Tiger Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:55 AM   #2
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

September 15, 1965

I chose 1965 to join the action in my sim because it was the year I was born and will give me a chance to follow the career arcs of all the players I loved as a kid in the 1970s. The focus will also be on the history that was created, which is something I will discover as the game progresses. I quick-simmed from 1894 until 1965 with no stoppages, aside from the changes I had to make in the early years adding and deleting my own created minor leagues. I purposely paid as little attention to the results as possible so I could go back and explore the history of my sim.

I made sure to keep all of the history, at least for MLB, as I saved the almanac with full boxscores each year which will allow me to go back and revisit great World Series games and other achievements that catch my eye.

Before I learn about the great and unusual accomplishments of the past - things like who the greatest franchise of all time is, the importance of the numbers 4450, 726 and 425, and before I talk about things like the player who had more homers than his team had wins in a season*, let's see how the baseball world looks on September 15, 1965.

The date I start this has no significance other than I thought it might give me a nice pennant race or two and allowed me to start the recaps just before the World Series begins.

Well, we did get a pennant race, but only one as the National League had long been decided by mid-September thanks to a record breaking season from the Cincinnati Reds. With 8 games remaining the Reds had already won a franchise best 112 games and were just one win shy of equalling the 1905 Philadelphia Phillies for the single-season Major League wins record.

There is no draft in this universe so the Reds feature many of the names you would expect and are a nice mix of 1960s stars like Frank Robinson, Vada Pinson and Jim Maloney along with some pieces that would be the basis of the real-life Big Red Machine a decade later in Pete Rose and Tony Perez.

The 24 year old Rose is in his third full season with the Reds and is leading the National League in batting at .347. However, Pittsburgh great Willie Stargell (.346,53,128) is having a career year and looking to win the first National League triple crown since the Phillies Hack Wilson won three straight triple crowns from 1926-28.

Joining Rose as the Reds offensive leaders are outfielders Frank Robinson (.313,36,119), who is second to Stargell in homers and RBI's, Vada Pinson (.333,26,91) and Jim Wynn (.277,17,66). The Reds infield has Perez (.268,21,69) at first, Rose playing second, Leo Cardenas (.215,9,50) at short and Cesar Tovar (.303,4,58) manning third and batting lead-off. Tovar is among the league stolen base leaders with 37. Johnny Edwards and Don Pavletich platoon behind the plate. I should add that Johnny Bench is in the system, but presently a 17 year old who has hit 19 homers and batting .292 in 99 games for the Penninsula Grays of the Carolina League. Bench is ranked the #9 prospect in the game.

25 year old righthander Jim Maloney (21-4, 1.93) is a shoo-in for his first Cy Young Award - although in this universe it likely should be named the Christy Mathewson Award.

The rest of the Reds rotation consists of Claude Osteen (18-5, 3.09), former Cy Young winner Jim O'Toole (16-7, 3.12), 24 year old Sammy Ellis (16-10, 3.20) and a guy who does nothing but win titles in veteran Curt Simmons (13-10, 3.27).

CURT SIMMONS

Simmons is a fantastic story and he is a clear link between the fall of the Phillies and rise of the Reds as a National League powerhouse. I will delve into the Phillies more in the future but Simmons joined the club in 1949 full time after splitting the previous year between AAA Toronto and Philadelphia. Simmons would spend 6 seasons in Philadelphia, compiling a record of 103-58 including a 22-7 1950 season when he won both the Cy Young and NL MVP awards. The Phillies would win 5 pennants and 4 World Series titles during Simmons tenure with the club.

In 1954 the Phillies won 107 games (with Simmons going 15-11) but came up short in the World Series, losing in 7 to the Detroit Tigers. That off-season Philadelphia made a blockbuster 1-for-1 deal sending Simmons to the Reds in exchange for slugging first baseman Joe Adcock. The 27 year old Adcock would thrive in Philadelphia and remains a Phillie to this day. Adcock has 464 career homers including a record-setting 64 in 1959 but today, at the age of 37 he has yet to play a post-season game as the storied Phillies franchise (tied for 1st in pennants and with more World Series wins than any other franchise) declined terribly over the past decade.

Cincinnati had never won a World Series prior to acquiring Simmons and had won just 3 pennants (1900,1917 & 1940) but since the trade they have 4 pennants (soon to be 5) and two World Series titles. Simmons has had two 20-win seasons with the Reds and is 284-167 for his major league career. He also owns 6 World Series rings but is just 6-7 in post-season play. To add more to the pattern of winning for Simmons, he also won an Eastern League title with Utica in 1947 (although he was moved to Terre Haute before the postseason but pitched in the playoffs for them) and was part of Toronto's International League champion in 1948 but had been promoted to the big league's for September.

While I certainly think it is more a case of being in the right organization at the right time far more than it is Simmons simply 'willing' his teams to victory it is hard to argue with his success.

Now 36 years old, the lefthander's career is on the downswing but before it ends he might have a couple of more World Series rings and his 284 career victories place him just 5 wins shy of being the 9th most winningest pitchers of all-time.

Here are the top 11 all-time wins leaders right now
Code:
Christy Mathewson	425
Eppa Rixey		389
John Clarkson		378
Walter Johnson		363
Rube Waddell		351
Cy Young		341
Gus Weyhing		327
Warran Spahn		316
Red Ruffing		288
Lefty Williams		288
Curt Simmons		284
Simmons is the only active player on the list. The only other active players with at least 200 wins are Whitey Ford (259) and Robin Roberts (253). A final note on Curt Simmons - he pitched a no-hitter for the Phillies in his amazing 1950 season.

Here is Curt Simmons career stats and the 1965 standings as of September 15th.

*-Ralph Kiner of Pittsburgh hit 50 homers in 1950 in my sim while his Pirates won just 49 games.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 04-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
JaBurns
All Star Starter

This going to be a great read, could you please explain your setup in more detail?
Has any team finished with a worse record than 49-113?
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
This going to be a great read, could you please explain your setup in more detail?
Thanks.

As for setup I did a historical league with full minors enabled starting with 1894 season. I chose not to import complete history so anyone who retired prior to 1894 would not show up in leaderboards.

All settings were default in initial league creation except I turned off the amateur draft so the vast majority of players would go to the organization they really debuted with. 3 year ratings recalculate without double-weighting current year. Everything else was default.

Reason I selected 1894 was explained in my tutorial to add minor leagues for the first couple of decades from 1901 on. The 1894 start is to let the pool of players build up so I can add a new minor league each year until I had the 7 leagues I wanted up and running by 1901.

The 7 leagues were American Association, International League(named Eastern League originally), Southern Association, New England League, Western League, Pacific Coast League and the Northwestern League.

I would fold these leagues out as I moved towards 1930 and more minors appeared or when the game created version of the league began. The tutorial is a sticky at the top of this sub-forum.

From there I turned on the almanac for MLB so I would have World Series boxscores and all the other info I wanted and just let the game run until I reached 1965.

Let me know if you want any more details

Quote:
Has any team finished with a worse record than 49-113?
Yes, the Pirates of 1950 were actually 49-105 (154 game schedule) and they don't crack the leaderboard for losses.

The National League expansion Houston Colt 45s lost 117 games in 1962 with a 162 game schedule. The 154 game schedule record in the NL is 107 losses for the 1935 Dodgers. Overall the record belongs to the 1956 Kansas City A's, who went 37-117 while the 1927 White Sox were only 1 game better.

The '56 A's finished 64 games behind the first place Yankees in their second season since moving from Philadelphia. In 1955, the new KC club was nearly as bad, going 49-105.

The A's franchise was the class of the league in the early days, as they won 16 pennants and 10 World Series in the 18 year period beginning with 1896. The last of the franchise's 13 World Championships was in 1939 and the team has been awful since moving to the Midwest - finishing dead last 12 times in 13 years going back to 1953.

There is great hope for the near future for the club as Catfish Hunter, Rollie Fingers, Bert Campaneris, Rick Monday, Joe Rudi and Sal Bando are all either on the team or in the system.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1965 Los Angeles Dodgers - Koufax and Drysdale dominant

I focused on the '65 Reds in the previous post. Before I go to the American League and the great Yankee-Red Sox pennant race I thought I should touch on the Los Angeles Dodgers. It is a testament to just how good Cincinnati is for a Dodger team with the talent it has to be 22 games out of first place.

The Dodgers have the NL's best pitching thanks to a top 3 of Sandy Koufax (19-7, 2.53), Don Drysdale (19-6, 2.58) and Don Sutton (13-9, 2.73). You could throw in number four starter Turk Farrell (11-9, 2.93) as well.

Koufax is 29 and coming off of 2 straight NL Cy Young and MVP awards. He was 23-7 with a 1.30 era and 326 strikeouts in 1963 and followed that up by going 21-7, 1.12 with 327 k's last year. The strikeout total is a modern day record and broke the old mark of 300 set by Rube Waddell back in 1903. His 1964 era was only surpassed by Christy Mathewson's 1903 campaign. The Dodgers won the World Series last year for just the second time in franchise history - 1914 was the other title. As for Koufax, he is 157-98 for his 11 year career but I am waiting to see what happens going forward with 3 year recalculate on.

Drysdale won the Cy Young the two years prior to Koufax and at age 28 is 165-75 for his career, which started in 1955 in the sim just like Koufax. Sutton is a 20 year old rookie who might be the Dodgers first rookie of the year winner since Frank Howard in 1958. 31 year old Turk Farrell joined the Dodgers from St Louis in 1963 and is coming off the best season of his career when he won 16 games last year. Farrell is 83-69 overall but 34-18 as a Dodger.

The Dodgers have a decent offense as well led by 31 year old outfielder Roberto Clemente (.277,16,77) and 32 year old shortstop Maury Wills (.288,1,44). In real life the Pirates selected a teenage Clemente from the Dodgers organization in the Rule V draft. That did not happen here and the legendary outfielder made his MLB debut at 21 in Brooklyn. In 1206 career games Clemente has a lifetime .318 batting average and won an NL batting crown in 1964. Wills did not make the major leagues until 1960 after spending nearly a decade in the minors. The Dodgers lead-off man is quite the same base thief he was in real-life, swiping a career high 52 (and counting) this season to give him 277 for his career. Ty Cobb is the all-time stolen base king in this sim with 942 thefts while Kiki Cuyler's 93 in 1927 is the modern day single season mark.

The Dodgers have decent secondary talent offensively including outfielders Willie Davis (.282,13,68) and Ron Fairly (.254,10,50), infielders Wes Parker (.285,7,63), Jim Lefebvre (.281,18,65) and Bob Aspromone (.234,7,51). Mike T Brumley has taken over the catching duties after the season ending injury in June to veteran Johnny Roseboro.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Sorry I should have known it was only a 154 game schedule. I learned something new today, had no idea that Clemente was originally Dodgers property.
Three year recalc will be interesting with Koufax.
I will bother you with questions as I follow along, I get ideas from other people’s leagues. Some good, some not so much......
Old 04-19-2018, 02:44 AM   #7
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

YANKEES- RED SOX

The 1965 American League race is going right down to the wire and could be decided at Fenway as New York and Boston play the final 2 games of the season there. With 5 to play the Yankees are 1 game ahead of the second place Red Sox. The past half a dozen years have seen the two clubs in the thick of the pennant race, but it was certainly not that way for either team in previous decades.

The Yankees of this universe are not the powerhouse they were in real-life. In fact, New York's first pennant did not come until 1942 and the Yankees only have two World Series titles in thier history (1955 and 1961). New York of this world missed out on Gehrig (who was a Washington Senator most of his career) and Joe DiMaggio (a New York Giant) but they did get Mickey Mantle who at the age of 33 in 1965 is the Yankees leader and a lock for the Hall of Fame. This season Mantle is batting .304 with 35 homers and 108 rbi's and the 5 time American League MVP is a lifetime .306 hitter with 534 career homeruns.

In real life the Red Sox and Yankees are linked by the sale of Babe Ruth. Well, in this sim Ruth also moved from Boston to New York in a 1920 deal that saw Austin McHenry and Pat Malone go the other way. There was no curse of the Red Sox in this sim as Boston tasted victory well before and more often than the Bronx Bombers. The Red Sox won 1 pennant with Ruth in 1914, and then won 4 straight World Series titles in the mid-1930s on teams that were led by Cecil Travis, Hal Trosky and Dizzy Dean. Boston also won the 1946 Series at the height of Ted Williams' dominance and claimed the most recent of their 6 World Championships 2 years ago in 1963 after beating Cincinnati.

So the Red Sox have 6 titles compared to just 2 won by the Yankees. New York does have 10 pennants (although 1 came in Baltimore in 1897) compared to the 8 for the Red Sox. New York is not the center of the baseball universe here and the Red Sox and Yankees are not yet bitter rivals as in this universe the teams everyone loves to hate are based in Philadelphia.

The Yankees, Giants and Dodgers combined for 16 pennants and 3 World Series titles while based in New York while the Phillies and Athletics combined for 45 pennants and 27 World Series titles since 1901 while based in Philadelphia. The tide seems to be clearly turning over the past decade but prior to 1955 the game revolved around what happened in Philadelphia.

As I go forward with this I will focus much more on Philadelphia's rich history of success and delve more into the stories of DiMaggio, Williams, Ruth and others but here is a look at the yearly pennant winners going back to the beginning of this replay.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 04-19-2018, 02:53 AM   #8
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I will bother you with questions as I follow along, I get ideas from other people’s leagues. Some good, some not so much......
Ask away. I love people asking about certain teams or players as it gets me looking at things I might otherwise have not noticed in my league.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #9
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

The 1965 Yankees are bidding for their 5th pennant in the last six years. The lone interruption to that streak occurred 2 years ago when Boston won 108 games, 2 more than the second place Yankees. Despite the 4 trips to the World Series, New York managed to prevail over it's National League foes just one time, in 1961 when the Yankees beat the Dodgers in 5 games.

New York's starting rotation is considered second only to Baltimore's in the American League as Whitey Ford (18-7, 2.07), Al Downing (16-7, 2.48) and Jim Bunning (14-8, 2.58) lead the way with Bill Stafford (11-9, 4.38) and Ray Herbert (8-10, 4.41) being the weak links. The bullpen has struggled all season but closer Dick Hall does have 26 saves, which leads the major leagues.

The 36 year old Ford is still going strong and has 5 Cy Young Awards on his resume as well as a lifetime 259-131 record. Downing just turned 24 and is in his 4th full season with the Yankees but his first as a fixture in the rotation. Bunning's career began with Detroit but he did not become a major league regular until joining the Yankees in 1957 at the age of 25. He won a pair of Cy Young's and was AL MVP in 1961 when he went 21-8.

The face of the Yankees of course is Mickey Mantle. The 33 year old has 2 batting titles, 5 MVP awards and led the AL in homers on 5 occassions. He is already #3 all-time in homers, behind Ted Williams (726) and Jimmie Foxx (538) and if he stays healthy he has a great shot at retiring as the all-time homerun king.

Joining Mantle in the Yankee outfielder are Curt Blefary (.244,11,50) and Don Lock (.233,16,60). Norm Siebern (.279,10,53) is at first, the platoon of Dick Howser (.220,2,28) and Horace Clarke (.288,0,16) at second, Ronny Camacho (.262,8,46) mans third with Tom Tresh (.272,18,72) at shortstop. Oscar Rodriguez (.284,19,83) is the catcher.

In real life Rodriguez kicked around the low minors for 5 years before retiring but in this sim the now 34 year old native of Puerto Rico spent a number of years in the Phillies system before getting a shot to play in St Louis in 1959. The Cards dealt him to the Yankees for Mel Stottlemyre prior to the 1963 season and he has hit .301 with 47 homers and 195 rbi's in 333 games in pinstripes. In case you were wondering the now 23 year Stottlemyre is 8-10 in his first full season in the big leagues with St Louis.

The Boston Red Sox offense looks far more imposing than the Yankees. The Red Sox batting order is as follows:

1- Don Buford 2B (.311,8,52). The 28 year old has enjoyed 4 strong seasons in Boston since coming over from the White Sox and was an all-star this year.

2- Orlando Cepeda 1B (.349,43,133). The 27 year old led the AL in batting last year and is battling a pair of teammates for the crown again this season. He is tied for the AL homerun lead with Harmon Killebrew of Minnesota and Baltimore's Boog Powell and second only to teammate Tony Conigliaro in rbi's.

3- Carl Yastremski LF (.337,20,81). The 26 year old Yaz is a 5 time all-star and a fixture in the Boston outfield since 1959.

4- Tony Conigliaro RF (.320,40,141). The 20 year old is already in his third year with the Red Sox and drawing comparisons to the legendary Ted Williams.

5- Wayne Causey 3B (.304,7,75). 28 year old infielder is in his 5th big league season, all with Boston.

6- Rico Petrocelli SS (.346,20,92). The 22 year old rookie burst on to the season this year after 3 years in the minors. He made the AL all-star team as a rookie.

7- Fred Walters C (.261,20,60). Played a decade in the minors in real life but became Red Sox everyday catcher 4 years ago. One of two positions Boston needs an upgrade.

8- Lou Clinton CF (.218,7,39) The struggling Clinton recently lost his job to 27 year old rookie Charles Teuscher (.214,2,12 in 18 games) but they are just holding the position until 18 year old Amos Otis is major league ready.

With that much young talent the Red Sox look to be poised to be a powerhouse for the next half a dozen years at least.

The pitching staff is also full of players still in their twenties. Boston lost 23 year old Wilbur Wood (15-9, 3.83) to a season ending injury in August. Wood had a breakout year last season going 23-3.

23 year old Fred Newman (17-9, 3.42) has picked up the slack in Wood's absence, as have lefthanders Dennis Bennett (14-6, 3.39) and Al Jackson (13-9, 4.02). Bill Monboquette (12-4, 4.08) is the number four starter. Bennet is just 25 years old while Jackson and Monboquette are both 29.

The Red Sox finish a 3 game set in Kansas City today before returning home for games Friday and Saturday against California before ending the season with 2 games against the Yankees. Before going to Fenway, the Yankees will be looking to complete a 3-game sweep of Chicago at home today before going to Cleveland for a pair. My next few updates will finish off the '65 regular season and see who will meet the Reds in the World Series.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #10
JaBurns
All Star Starter

How did Emerson (Pink) Hawley, Joe Jackson, and Joe Wood fare in the early days of your dynasty? Could you post the single season and career records page?
Old 04-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #11
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How did Emerson (Pink) Hawley, Joe Jackson, and Joe Wood fare in the early days of your dynasty? Could you post the single season and career records page?
Sure, I will get to the 3 players recaps shortly but first here are some of the career and single season batting leaderboards.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 04-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #12
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Seems to be a little problem with Double X’s career years. Interesting that he never hit more than 40 in a season.
From what I can see “Miss Seasons According to History” is not checked but you probably explained that in your original post.
I will keep the questions coming I am using my HRD to compare players. Hawley started in one my unaffiliated AAA leagues on was virtually unhitable in his only season was purchased by the Braves and had 2 good seasons. Has been hurt the last two years.

Last edited by JaBurns; 04-20-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #13
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Here are some pitching leaderboards.

As for Jimmie Foxx, yes I have had that occur with him, but only him, in several sims the last couple of versions of the game. No idea why it happens.

You are correct. I did not check miss seasons according to history so Ted Williams totals are aided by those extra seasons of playing in his prime.

Feel free to keep the questions and comments coming. Thank you.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 04-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #14
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

PINK HAWLEY

Hawley played over a decade in the major leagues in my sim. I began in 1894 and he was 22-20 for the Columbus Solons of the American League that first season. He won the first of two straight pitcher of the year awards in 1895 and helped the Solons beat the National League champion New York Giants to win the World Series. 1895 was his best season, going 30-16 with a 2.58 era while leading the league with 157 strikeouts.

He remained a fixture on the Solons mound through the 1890's and joined the club when it moved to Chicago and became the White Sox in 1901. That season would be his last as an MLB regular as he went 10-21 for a White Sox club that finished 7th in the American League.

The Sox released Hawley early in the 1902 season and he was signed by the Pittsburgh Pirates but his stay in Pittsburgh was short-lived. He finished his career with brief stops with the Phillies, Browns and Tigers but was quickly released each time.

Hawley's major league career ended in 1905 with a 186-207 record but he did get a brief stint in 1907 with the Topeka Jayhawks of the Western League. Career totals came out relatively close to real life where he pitched from 1892-1902 and was 169-182 including a 31-22 career best year with Pittsburgh in 1895.

SHOELESS JOE JACKSON

Jackson was a Hall of Famer and is one of just 23 players to reach the 3000 career hit plateau. He never played a day in the minors, joining the A's in 1908 as an 18 year old. He had a long wait for his first career hit as Jackson began his major league career going 0-for-14, primarily in pinch-hitting duties before finally getting a single off Boston's Addie Joss in his 15th major league at bat. He struggled at the plate as a rookie, batting just .244 but that would be the lowest season average in his 24 year career. In 1909 Jackson hit .352 and helped the Athletics to the first of 4 straight World Series titles and 5 pennants.

1911 was the best year of his career, when he won his only batting title by hitting .419 and claimed the first of two straight AL MVP awards. They would be the only regular season MVP awards he would receive but Jackson was also named MVP of the 1912 World Series, when he went 9-for-24 to lead the A's past the Cardinals in 5 games. In his career, Jackson appeared in 43 World Series games over 9 seasons and earned 4 World Series rings.

He started and finished his career with the Athletics and is second only to Eddie Collins in franchise games played. Late in his career he was traded to the Cubs and spent a season and a half in the Windy City before being dealt back to the Athletics were he played his final 3 seasons before retiring after the 1931 season. The A's made out well in the exchanges, netting young minor leaguer Carl Hubbell in the deal that sent Jackson to the Cubs. Hubbell would go on to win over 200 games in an Athletics uniform. When Jackson came back to Philadelphia it was in exchange for 26 year old Ernie Orsatti, who would do little in Chicago.

Jackson collected his 3000th career hit on July 4th, 1931 just over a week before his 41st birthday. That hit, a single, came off of Detroit starter Wes Ferrell in an 11-3 loss to the Tigers. He would get only 4 more hits in his career. His .355 career batting average is tied for 3rd all-time with Rogers Hornsby, trailing only Willie Keeler and Ty Cobb. Jackson is second behind only Cobb in career triples with 277. He was a first ballot hall of famer, appearing on 98.6% of the ballots in 1937.

SMOKEY JOE WOOD

Like in real life, Wood started his career as a pitcher before transitioning to becoming a position player. His great success in this universe came on the mound as he was 134-94 over 9 seasons with the New York Highlanders. Wood broke in to the major leagues in 1907 as a 17 year old and after going 8-5 his rookie season Wood would enjoy 3 straight 20+ win seasons. He finished second in Cy Young Award voting in both 1909 and 1910.

By 1915 he had been pushed out of the Highlanders/Yankees rotation and spent the entire year in the bullpen. That off-season Wood was dealt to Detroit for a pair of minor leaguers but he would never pitch for Detroit. The Tigers used him almost exclusively as a pinch-hitter (he had won a pair of silver slugger awards as a pitcher with New York) but Wood hit just .242 in 120 at bats.

He lasted just the one year in Detroit as the Tigers shipped him to Buffalo of the International League following the 1916 campaign in exchange for young infielder Jack Bentley.

Wood would play two seasons in Buffalo, pitching a little but used primarily as an outfielder. He led the Bisons to the International League title in 1917 and was named post-season MVP after batting .409 in the International Series. He hit .327 in 1918 and led the league in doubles as helped the Bisons back to the series. Despite Wood batting .385 that playoff Buffalo lost in 7 games to the Baltimore Orioles.

After a fast start to the 1919 season the New York Yankees purchased Wood's contract from the Bisons. Wood would not play much over the next two and a half seasons for New York as he was used primarily as a pinch-hitter. 1921 was his best year at the plate in the majors as Wood hit .331 in 157 at bats.

He was now 31 years old and the Yankees decided to trade him to Memphis of the Southern Association in the winter following the 1921 campaign. He started 121 games in 1922 for the Chicks, batting .361 with 12 homers and 86 rbi's. His batting average was good for 5th in the league that year, but most of the league's attention was on Turkey Stearnes hitting .401 and just dominating Southern Association pitching for first place Little Rock.

After hitting .308 but starting just 52 games the following season, Wood was released by Memphis and would retire at the age of 33.

His career major league numbers as a hitter were a .195 batting average in 1201 career plate appearances.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 04-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #15
JaBurns
All Star Starter

One for today Ed Konetchy, see attached for what he has and is doing in my league. I keep waiting for a MLB team to purchase his contract. Is it possible I am missing a setting?
Name:  77test1_1911-07-24_05-41-17.jpg
Views: 2050
Size:  476.7 KB

Sorry I do not do the attachment thing very well.

Last edited by JaBurns; 04-21-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #16
prisonerno6
Major Leagues

What was in the water during the early 1900's in Philadelphia?
prisonerno6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #17
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prisonerno6 View Post
What was in the water during the early 1900's in Philadelphia
The real short answer is pitching and Nap Lajoie. Lajoie won 5 MVPs and the Phillies had a collection of great pitchers over the decade including Al Orth, Doc White, Bill Bernhard and towards the end Jack Chesbro and Johnny Lush. The Athletics had Eddie Plank (237-122), Rube Waddell (351-164) and Deacon Phillippe (134-56) from 1901 and would add Chief Bender (279-158). Hall of Famers Goerge Davis and Bill Lange were the early offensive stars before Eddie Collins took over midway through the decade and the addition of Shoeless Joe Jackson kept the Athletics the class of the American League right through the mid-teens.

Here is a quick year by year run down of those great Philadelphia teams of the early 1900s

1901- The Phillies were the class of both leagues by going 101-39 and finishing 19 games ahead of Cincinnati atop the National League. Nap Lajoie led all batters hitting at a .424 clip. Lajoie won the triple crown with 18 homers and 134 rbi's. Meanwhile the trio of Doc White, Al Orth and Bill Bernhard combined to go 65-23. Lajoie was named MVP for the second time in his career while White claimed both the top pitcher and top rookie award.

The Athletics won 97 games, good for an 8 game bulge on the second place Baltimore Orioles in the American League. The A's had plenty of offense from the likes of Bill Lange (.364,8,95), Danny Green (.264,9,115), Topsy Hartsell (.308,6,72), George Davis (.360,4,89) and Sammy Strang (.305,1,56) but their real strength was the deepest pitching staff in the game. Deacon Phillippe (27-7, 2.01), Rube Waddell (24-5, 1.53), Eddie Plank (20-13, 2.78) and Casey Patten (19-12, 2.35) led the way. Waddell claimed his 4th straight pitcher of the year award while Davis was named American League MVP.

The Athletics took a 3 games to one lead in the 1901 World Series only to see the Phillies charge back and win 3 straight to claim the title. Lajoie led all hitters by batting .414 in the series.

1902 - The Athletics topped the 100 win mark this time as their 103-37 record was 23 games better than the second place Washington Senators. They led the AL in just about every category as Rube Waddell (28-3, 1.21), Eddie Plank (27-5, 1.83) and Deacon Phillippe (19-9, 2.27) once more dominated AL batters. The outfield trio of Bill Lange (.366,1,73), Topsy Hartsel (.329,4,68) and Danny Green (.348,4,86) led the Athletics offense. For the fifth year in a row Waddell was named top pitcher and he also claimed his second American League MVP award. The Athletics lost Deacon Phillippe to an arm injury in the final week of the season. It would cost him the entire 1903 campaign and while he would return to form in 1904 he would be bothered by injuries the rest of his career.

Nap Lajoie(.377,5,92) again led the majors in batting as the Phillies won 97 games and finished 12 up on second place Cincinnati. Lajoie took home the MVP but Phillies pitchers were nosed out by Noodles Hahn (31-14, 2.36) of the Reds for top hurler. Bill Bernhard missed much of the season with an arm injury but Win Kellum (22-6) stepped up to join Doc White (21-11) and Al Orth (23-8) as mainstays of the rotation.

For the second year in a row the Phillies prevailed in the Series, winning in 6 games this time. Little know catcher Bob Wood was the hero in the deciding game, hitting a 2-run single with 2 out in the top of the ninth to lift the Phillies to a 4-3 win and their second straight title. 29 year old Phillies first baseman Tom O'Brien (.308,1,88) is named series MVP.

It was much the same story in 1903 for the Athletics as they went 91-49 and finished 18 games ahead of Chicago. Waddell (28-4, 1.42) and Plank (28-8,1.28) carried the pitching staff as they struggled to fill the back half of the rotation with Phillippe sidelined and Casey Patten (6-9,2.24) less effective than in previous years. A solution came mid-year in the form of 19 year old Chief Bender. The rookie joined the rotation in August and went 3-4 but showed great promise of things to come. Waddell's seasons earned him both the MVP (for the second year in a row) and a 6th straight top pitcher award.

The Phillies faced a big challenge in Cincinnati but a late winning streak allowed them to finish 5 games ahead of the Reds. Another batting title and MVP award for Nap Lajoie(.343, 7,66). Bill Bernhard (25-10, 2.18), fully recovered from last year's injury, led the rotation while Doc White (17-10, 2.19) and Al Orth (14-6, 3.11) were still prominent.

The World Series was a best of nine this year but it only took the minimum as the Athletics got revenge for two previous Series loses by sweeping the Phillies. George Davis hit a 3-run double in the top of the ninth of game five to ensure the sweep as it gave the Athletics a 4-1 victory in the contest and a second win in the series for Eddie Plank. Athletics second baseman Danny Murphy hit .450 in the series and was named MVP.

The Athletics continue to dominate the American League, going 102-52 and finishing 17 games ahead of the White Sox. Rube Waddell (23-9, 1.49) won his 7th straight pitcher of the year award but lost the MVP to teammate Sammy Strang (.310,8,59). After a career year last season, Eddie Plank (6-5) struggled and got bumped to the pen. Deacon Phillippe (21-13, 1.83) returned from his injury but this would be the last great year of his career as he would be derailed by further arm troubles. Chief Bender (19-10, 1.98) had a breakout year and would be a force for the next decade.

The Phillies again won the National League, going 97-57 and finishing 8 games up on the Giants. The Reds, who provided a big challenge last year, struggled all season and dropped to last place. Nap Lajoie (.335,2,79) lost the batting title to Mike Donlin (.362) of the Cardinals, but Elmer Flick (.334,2,62) and rookie Sherry Magee (.277,6,82) played bigger roles in the Phillies offense. On the mound, Doc White (26-8, 2.24) and Bill Bernhard (21-12, 2.24) were still going strong but Al Orth (4-6, 3.07) got bumped from the rotation and looks to be on the downside of his career at age 30.

No strangers to each other the Athletics and Phillies met in the series once again. This one was back to a best of seven and it went the distance with the American Leaguers winning the deciding game by a 6-1 score. Rube Waddell allowed just 5 hits in going the distance while series MVP Sammy Strang hit .444 with a homer and 8 rbi's in the series.

The 1905 Phillies set a record that still stands today, winning 113 games. The 1915 White Sox would be next with 110 victories. As for the '05 Phillies it was the pitching of Doc White (27-9, 1.54), Bill Bernhard (26-9, 1.81), 20 year old Johnny Lush (20-4, 1.65) and a revitalized Al Orth (21-8,1.76) that made the club unstoppable. The Phillies finished 30 games ahead of second place Chicago. Lajoie's numbers (.309,2,78) dipped a bit but the pitching was so strong it didn't matter.

The Athletics also had a big year, winning 107 games and finishing 19 ahead of second place Cleveland. Rube Waddell (29-8, 1.34) won the 8th and what would be the final Cy Young Award of his career. Chief Bender (23-15, 1,70) also had a big season.

The Phillies were favoured heading into the series but the Athletics beat them for the third year in a row, this time 4 games to one. Immediately after the series the A's shocked the baseball world by trading Rube Waddell to the Boston Red Sox in exchange for infielders Tommy Leach and young Harry Lord. The move was panned at the time as Waddell had just turned 29 and was coming off all those pitcher of the year awards. In retrospect, it was a big reason the A's dynasty kept going. Waddell pitched well for the next half dozen years in Boston but Leach and Lord both became key offensive contributors as the A's remained a powerhouse for another decade.

Chief Bender (30-6, 1.52) took over for Waddell as the Athletics ace and won the Cy Young Award. Eddie Plank (26-12, 2.05) returned to form after a pair of off years and 26 year old Charles Smith (21-10,2.28) had a breakout year. Newcomer Leach (.281,4,64) would settle in to the lineup which had plenty of offense from the likes of Tim Jordan (.322,9,84), Eddie Collins (.331,1,86), George Davis (.281,4,64), Bris Lord (.303,1,63) and Sammy Strang (.283,2,23). The A's won what remain a franchise record 108 games and finished 27 up on Cleveland.

The Phillies dipped to 98-56 after their record year but it was still enough to finish 7 games up on Pittsburgh atop the National League. Doc White (25-8, 2.14) was again dominant on the mound. Lajoie (.295,3,68) is not the same threat he was but the Phillies have plenty of depth led by Sherry Magee (.324,4,51), Elmer Flick (.293,4,80) and catcher Johnny Kling (.296,3,71).

The World Series went the distance with the Phillies rallying from a 3-games to one deficit to claim the title. Johnny Lush tossed a 3-hit shutout for a 1-0 win in game five and Happy Townsend blanked the A's 3-0 while allowing 4 hits in game six.

Game Seven of the 1906 World Series might be considered the greatest deciding game ever as the Phillies prevailed 8-5 in 16 innings. The Phillies were down to their final out in the ninth inning when Lajoie tied the game with an rbi single and then he drove in the go ahead run in a 3-run top of the 16th to give the Phillies their third title in 6 meetings with the Athletics this decade.

Another dominant season for the A's as they won 95 games and finished 7 up on Cleveland. Chief Bender (24-12, 1.55), Eddie Plank (23-13, 1.77) and Charlie Smith (23-14, 2.22) led the league's best pitching staff. There was plenty of offense as well, courtesy of Eddie Collins (.346,4,73) and Bill Lange (.362,0,26).

The Phillies surpassed the 100 win mark for the third time in the decade. Jack Chesbro (23-12, 2.43) came over from the Cubs in a winter deal that sent Kid Elberfeld the other way. Chesbro combined with Johnny Lush (26-12, 2.55) and Doc White (25-14, 2.11) to help the Phillies lead the National League in most pitching categories. Lajoie (.294,2,79) and Magee (.295,3,75) were still the key pieces of the offense.

Just like last year the Athletics took a 3 games to 1 lead in the series only to see the Phillies charge back and win the final 3 games. Also like last year, game seven went into extra innings before the Phillies pulled out a 4-3 victory. The A's had tied it in the top of the ninth on a 2-out rbi single off the bat of veteran Bill Lange but Tom O'Brien would single in Art Devlin in the bottom of the 10th to give the Phillies their 4th World Series title.

1907 would mark the end of Philadelphia dominance as both clubs would fail to win their respective league titles in 1908. The Athletics would have just a 1 year absence before Shoeless Joe Jackson arrived to help lead them to 5 more American League crowns and 4 more World Series. The Phillies would have to wait until 1916 for their next pennant and 1918 for another World Championship.

Both clubs left their legacy as the Athletics of the first decade of the new century sent Chief Bender, Eddie Collins, George Davis, Bill Lange and Rube Waddell to the Hall of Fame along with the Phillies Nap Lajoie.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #18
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One for today Ed Konetchy, see attached for what he has and is doing in my league. I keep waiting for a MLB team to purchase his contract. Is it possible I am missing a setting?
I'll post what Konetchy did in my league when I next get a chance but as for your setting question did you remember for your PCL to check off the allow players to be purchased by other leagues option and set the price fairly low (I usually just put $100). It is found on league financial screen but you have to uncheck reserve clause era rules to view or edit it. Just remember to recheck use reserve clause rules if that is what you are doing when you are done.

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 04-21-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #19
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I currently have it set at $500, will change to $100 to see what happens or it might be just my expectations of which player’s contracts should be purchased by big league clubs.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #20
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I don't think i have never had Christy Mathewson go over 400 wins.
He always seems to have a few bad injury years that keep him between 350-400 wins for me.
Nice to see him do it.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote