Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Annual or Dynamic?

I am curious as to which of the ways top prospects are displayed ....people feel is more realistic. Traditionally, the consensus here has been that publishing the top 100 annually is/was more realistic. I'd actually like to see it publushed again mid-season, but that's another debate I suppose.

The reason I ask is because with MLB Pipeline and so many other up the the minute social media sites, as well as Bleacher Report, MLB.com etc....is it unreasonable to think in today's day of age, that dynamic prospect list actually may be more realistic?

Last edited by PSUColonel; 08-16-2017 at 01:45 PM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I am curious as to which of the ways top prospects people feel is more realistic. Traditionally, the consensus here has been that publishing the top 100 annually is/was more realistic. I'd actually like to see it publushed again mid-season, but that's another debate I suppose.

The reason I ask is because with MLB Pipeline and so many other up the the minute social media sites, as well as Bleacher Report, MLB.com etc....is it unreasonable to think in today's day of age, that dynamic prospect list actually may be more realistic?
I think you have answered your own question.

To me it's about realism. In this day and age, if I was to play a modern day game, I would set dynamic to try to mimic the social media aspect that we have now.

Since I play a fictional league in 1980, I set it to annual, because that represents that era better.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #3
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

But in all honesty there are only two "official lists" each year published by MLB.com (I thin) once in pre-season, the other midway through.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

Quote:
But in all honesty there are only two "official lists" each year published by MLB.com (I thin) once in pre-season, the other midway through.
True.

I guess it comes down to what we want the list to reflect. Obviously modern media gives us more of an 'up to the day' update in relation to prospects.

Personally, I find the annual update to be next to useless (except on opening day). For the feature to have relevance to me it has to be set to dynamic. I only use it for fun to see where other organizations are up to. I do not use it for trade target purposes.
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I would....it can help you find worthwhile trade prospects.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Dynamic for sure.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #7
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

I might be dumb but what does the dynamic one mean?
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:14 AM   #8
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post
I might be dumb but what does the dynamic one mean?
Not dumb

It just means that the list gets updated frequently so the prospects rankings change throughout the season as opposed to the once a year ranking.
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #9
ThePretender
All Star Starter

Quote:
I would....it can help you find worthwhile trade prospects.
The prospect lists aren't very good. I'm looking at my prospect list and it has 4 guys who are utility players at best, and two of those guys I'm never promoting above AAA unless they boost significantly. I've got other hitting prospects, SP specs or RP specs who hold more value who would be a better fit in the top 20 list.

If anything, I've learned avoid the top prospect list, because it misses quality prospects, and if you use that to focus on a trade, you won't be acquiring the best possible talent.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #10
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

remember....your scouts are frequently wrong also
Old 08-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #11
SxSnts9
Minors (Double A)

I only use the top 100 prospect list if my owner demands I increase my farm ranking/acquire a top prospect and the deadline is soon. Usually the top prospect lists don't have the best prospects unless it's guys in the top 5. They seem to get those guys right...usually.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #12
ThePretender
All Star Starter

Quote:
remember....your scouts are frequently wrong also
I have 100% accuracy and scouts off. This isn't a matter of scouts being wrong, it's a matter of the top prospect list not recognizing good prospects.

For instance, my top prospect list includes:

http://mlbdreamsootpsim.com/game/lgr...yer_21018.html <--- He's not good enough to be a backup OF in this league.
http://mlbdreamsootpsim.com/game/lgr...yer_24011.html <--- 26, and he's not good enough to be a platoon bat in the majors.

Somehow, http://mlbdreamsootpsim.com/game/lgr...yer_26247.html isn't a top prospect. Not only is he a much better bat than the 1B, but he can play the OF. And it can't be an issue of him being recently drafted, because my #18 prospect is someone from the same draft.

http://mlbdreamsootpsim.com/game/lgr...yer_27029.html is obviously a RP, but he'd be a legit SU man and possible closer. That has to have more upside than the first 2 guys I listed, who don't even have the upside be major league fringe players. We can agree that while RP probably shouldn't be the best prospects in a system, he should be one of my top 20, and certainly higher than the 2 fringe players I listed earlier who are ranked 14/17 in my system (above http://mlbdreamsootpsim.com/game/lgr...yer_26862.html, who would be a #3/4 SP on a contender...).

I traded http://mlbdreamsootpsim.com/game/lgr...yer_27254.html, but he didn't make my top prospect list when I had him. He's a #4 potential SP on a contender.

There's a fairly significant issue with the top prospect list, in that it isn't remotely accurate. Been that way since OOTP 6.5 when I started playing. Before they fix dynamic/annual, they have to make it so the top prospect reflects...the top prospects.

Last edited by ThePretender; 08-17-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePretender View Post
I have 100% accuracy and scouts off. This isn't a matter of scouts being wrong, it's a matter of the top prospect list not recognizing good prospects.

For instance, my top prospect list includes:

http://mlbdreamsootpsim.com/game/lgr...yer_21018.html <--- He's not good enough to be a backup OF in this league.
http://mlbdreamsootpsim.com/game/lgr...yer_24011.html <--- 26, and he's not good enough to be a platoon bat in the majors.

Somehow, http://mlbdreamsootpsim.com/game/lgr...yer_26247.html isn't a top prospect. Not only is he a much better bat than the 1B, but he can play the OF. And it can't be an issue of him being recently drafted, because my #18 prospect is someone from the same draft.

http://mlbdreamsootpsim.com/game/lgr...yer_27029.html is obviously a RP, but he'd be a legit SU man and possible closer. That has to have more upside than the first 2 guys I listed, who don't even have the upside be major league fringe players. We can agree that while RP probably shouldn't be the best prospects in a system, he should be one of my top 20, and certainly higher than the 2 fringe players I listed earlier who are ranked 14/17 in my system (above http://mlbdreamsootpsim.com/game/lgr...yer_26862.html, who would be a #3/4 SP on a contender...).

I traded http://mlbdreamsootpsim.com/game/lgr...yer_27254.html, but he didn't make my top prospect list when I had him. He's a #4 potential SP on a contender.

There's a fairly significant issue with the top prospect list, in that it isn't remotely accurate. Been that way since OOTP 6.5 when I started playing. Before they fix dynamic/annual, they have to make it so the top prospect reflects...the top prospects.
Are you using dynamic or annual. It looks like the guys you are saying should be on your teams top prospect list were recently drafted and thus would not be on your teams ranking if the list is only annual.
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #14
ThePretender
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIUPIKE View Post
Are you using dynamic or annual. It looks like the guys you are saying should be on your teams top prospect list were recently drafted and thus would not be on your teams ranking if the list is only annual.
I don't think you read what I said.

Quote:
Not only is he a much better bat than the 1B, but he can play the OF. And it can't be an issue of him being recently drafted, because my #18 prospect is someone from the same draft.
So again, no, the issue is not that guys who were just drafted aren't included in the rankings. My second rounder in the most recent draft is ranked 18th.

My point is that two fringe AAA calibre players are ranked as my #14/17 prospects, above legitimate prospects, and that other guys who are legitimate prospects aren't included in my top prospect list.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #15
homerj
Minors (Double A)

Why not both?

It would be interesting to have an "official" one a couple times a year, and then maybe a couple more with some built in variance in it that would get published, and then a news story that "OOTP Prospects" released their monthly minor league rankings.
homerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #16
YankeesFan21
Bat Boy

unfortunately ur not able to do that

it's one or the other
YankeesFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote