Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

Restore Help

Just upgraded to new computer - trying to import my league from old computer. And it's not happening. It keeps locking up. How long is it supposed to take? Is there an easier way to do it?

Any help?
aslanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

It can take a while depending how big the league is. I would let it run. Even when it says "not responding" it is likely still working. I'd just give it some time.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

1) Are you importing from OOTP15 to OOTP15?
2) How are you importing? Copy and paste the .lg folder in the saved games folder on the new CPU?
Old 12-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I would imagine that Restore, like manually copying a game folder to some backup device, would take quite a while due to the thousands of text files that need to be addressed and processed, one by one.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Use 7z but no compression to a usb drive then expand to the new saved games folder. Works very fast. If you have your computers networked then go direct. Zipping without compression is fast.

Edit:

To follow up on Deja Bru's point, zipping the saved game folder avoids about 50,000 or more copy/paste actions.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 12-15-2014 at 01:35 PM.
RchW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Use 7z but no compression to a usb drive then expand to the new saved games folder. Works very fast. If you have your computers networked then go direct. Zipping without compression is fast.

Edit:

To follow up on Deja Bru's point, zipping the saved game folder avoids about 50,000 or more copy/paste actions.
Not to disagree with the point of zipping, but I can move a full league folder with one copy and paste action. Where does the 50,000 come from? Maybe you're moving each file 1 at a time?
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Not to disagree with the point of zipping, but I can move a full league folder with one copy and paste action. Where does the 50,000 come from? Maybe you're moving each file 1 at a time?
Within the same drive you can but not drive to drive or computer to computer which is what the OP is doing AFAIK. Here is what I see when copy/paste is used between drives. I'd be grateful if you can show me a better way.
Attached Images

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 12-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

What's wrong with selecting the league folder, clicking copy, clicking in the new location and clicking paste?

That's 1 copy and paste action. Right click on folder and select copy, right click in new location and select paste. 1 action.

Regardless if zipped or not, you only need complete the action once, not 50,000 times.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 12-15-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What's wrong with selecting the league folder, clicking copy, clicking in the new location and clicking paste?

That's 1 copy and paste action. Right click on folder and select copy, right click in new location and select paste. 1 action.

Regardless if zipped or not, you only need complete the action once, not 50,000 times.
I think you misunderstood what I said. It's not a big deal. Just trying to help the OP.

RichW

Old 12-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think what it is, is this: If you are copying or moving the folder on the same hard drive, no problem. Something about the only files and folders disk locations being updated someplace while the items themselves physically don't move anywhere.

However, when you copy or move a game folder to an external drive, that's when it can take a long time because, even though you don't see it happening, the CPU is looking at and processing each text file, one at a time. If it were only several dozen text files, you don't even notice the delay. Several hundred, a slight delay. Thousands and thousands of text files, a long delay.

EDIT: Also, back to the OP, he's concerned that the Restore function is taking a long time. That's not just copy and paste, I would wager. That's also things that must be updated by the game as it restores each file and again, thousands of text files is going to slow down the processing of Restore.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 12-15-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #11
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
I think what it is, is this: If you are copying or moving the folder on the same hard drive, no problem. Something about the only files and folders disk locations being updated someplace while the items themselves physically don't move anywhere.

However, when you copy or move a game folder to an external drive, that's when it can take a long time because, even though you don't see it happening, the CPU is looking at and processing each text file, one at a time. If it were only several dozen text files, you don't even notice the delay. Several hundred, a slight delay. Thousands and thousands of text files, a long delay.

EDIT: Also, back to the OP, he's concerned that the Restore function is taking a long time. That's not just copy and paste, I would wager. That's also things that must be updated by the game as it restores each file and again, thousands of text files is going to slow down the processing of Restore.
That's what I said. Using zip files speeds up the process.

RichW

Old 12-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
doors11
All Star Reserve

when i copied to my new windows 8 computer after installing OOTP 15 to it all i did was copied my league folder from my saved games,to my saved games folder in the new game. I save this folder all the time in case something goes wrong. then all i have to do is placed the saved folder into the saved games folder and it works when mine has gone bad.. hope this helps

If you have more leagues saved copy all of to your new computer

Last edited by doors11; 12-17-2014 at 05:11 PM.
doors11 is offline   Reply With Quote