Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
Remember1985
Bat Boy

Questions about historical league settings

Hello! I’m relatively new to OOTP. I discovered OOTP via the Deadspin article last July and tried a trial version. Played enough to know I wanted to preorder OOTP14. I also learned a lot from cody8200’s videos. Thanks!

The Premise

I want to create an alternative history of St. Louis baseball. I would like to take over the St. Louis Browns in 1945 or 1946 and play through at least 1953.

I have a set of “victory conditions” in my mind that I would like to try to reach. Ideally, victory would be attained by Anheuser-Busch buying the Browns in 1951 (avoiding the Bill Veeck era) and the Browns eventually moving into a new Busch stadium. In this scenario, Arnold Johnson might buy the Cardinals and move the National League club to Kansas City in 1953. Even if the Cardinals didn’t move, I wonder if the Athletics would move to Kansas City if the Browns remained in St. Louis.

I think it would be reasonable to claim victory if my Browns exceed the Cardinals in wins and attendance from 1946 to 1953. Will the game’s attendance statistics deviate from the historical numbers if a team does better (or worse) than real life?

The dilemma I have is keeping the league as historical as possible while allowing me to turn the Browns into a perennial pennant contender. I would like other team’s rosters to remain as close to historical as possible. I am only allowing historical players (no fictional players).

Mods

I downloaded the 2013 All-In-One mod; Gambo’s ballpark, ballcaps, jerseys, and logos mods; and the Historical FaceGen Image Pack. Thanks to all the modders! I like the look and feel of the game. Are there any other mods I should download?

Minors

One of the biggest questions I have is the best way to setup a minor league.

The game does not create historically accurate minor league affiliates, logos, ballparks, etc. I am tempted to have no minor leagues and operate with just a reserve roster; however, it’s not realistic that players not on the active roster would not be playing and that I would not being able to gauge the progress of prospects. Instead, I am leaning toward creating a Triple A and editing the league to correct cities, names, affiliations, etc. I’ll have to manually edit the minor league each year as it frequently changed. Any suggestions?

[Edit: I just saw some good advice on the Historical Simulations forum related to this issue.]

Scouting

My final questions involve scouting. First, not related to my historical sim, are the 2013 scouts based on real life? Even if the names are fictional, will a team’s scouts have ratings based on the organization’s reputation?

What about scouts in historical leagues? A historical league I created says “No scouting in this game?” Does this mean “Overall” and “Potential” ratings are based on real life in historical games?

[Edit: I think I’m starting to understand. Is scouting off because I selected: “Player development: Recalculate player ratings before each season using real stats”? If so, then based on my reading tonight on the historical simulations forum, the minor league really isn’t necessary and probably not worth the effort.]

Settings

Here’s some of the settings I plan on using:

Import complete history to 1946
Optimize Player Ratings for Career Play
[No] Use real historical transactions
Player development: Recalculate player ratings before each season using real stats
Automatically expand league
Hold expansion draft
[Although there’s no expansion during the time I intend to play, will this setting allow for other teams to relocate as in real life?]
[Yes] Enable automatic import of financial settings

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to recommend some settings, but first I want to mention some real life possibilities that nearly played out. During the time period you're targeting for your sim, the Cardinals nearly became the first club to move from St. Louis. The Cardinals were struggling for a time, while the Browns were still enjoying their success from their run during the WWII era.

Interests in Houston and Milwaukee were pursuing a purchase of the Cardinals. So if you succeed in helping the Browns to keep their attendance up and outperform the local competition, then it would make the most sense to move the Cardinals to Houston or Milwaukee.

The Browns nearly moved to Los Angeles and Milwaukee themselves, but the American League owners had it in for Bill Veeck and blocked the moves. Eventually they approved the sale of the team and its move to Baltimore.

As far as the settings go, I recommend that you turn off scouting, use 3-year recalc, turn off development, choose to assign rookies to their real life teams, set AI trading frequency to very low, set trading difficulty to hard or very hard, and make sure to use the reserve clause rules so there is no free agency.

This will help keep your league rosters close to real life while allowing for enough player movement that you can make trades as the Browns GM. You will have a decided advantage over the AI because you can see each player's future historical stats, whereas the AI can only see potential, which can be based on remaining years of career but can still be misleading. The AI can't 'see' that there are only two remaining years in a player's historical career vs. five years, so it can see the player's potential but not the future duration or arc of the player's remaining career.

Unfortunately, this makes it easy to dominate the AI in historical leagues unless you use development or you are very disciplined and don't look at real life statistics for players.

By the way, allowing OOTP to automatically expand the league will also allow relocation. So if you don't want the Browns to relocate in 1954, you'll have to turn this off or manually override the change after it takes place. And keep in mind that these changes take place during the off-season, so be prepared ahead of time.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Here's my take on what you'd like to do and some comments to supplement what Charlie Hough wrote:

First, according to the book EVEN THE BROWNS, there was a deal in principal to sell the Browns and move them to LA in 1940. Wrigley held up the deal by haggling over the sale of LA's Wrigley Field (where the Angels played in their early days). Then came Pearl Harbor and MLB decided a team on the West Coast was a bad idea, so the deal fell through.

As mentioned above, historical expansion will happen in 1961 if you play that way. If you go with the dynamic league choice, anything can happen. Attendance totals won't cause moves from what I've seen (admittedly not much experience with that).

In order to best avoid the problem of knowing how players will turn out in an historic setting, I go with development on and potential based on best three years of career. This will cause some obscure players to be very good, and some very good players to be ordinary, but I find that preferable to knowing who is going to be great with near-certainty.

Playing with rookies coming up with their real teams does not make for very historically accurate rosters over time. There are lots of examples of why not, and in the era you want to play their will be an enormous amount of players coming up with the Yankees who won't be traded to their historic teams. Many catchers blocked by Berra won't be traded to their historic team. Jackie Jensen usually stays in NY, for a few specifics.
Leo_The_Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember1985 View Post
The game does not create historically accurate minor league affiliates, logos, ballparks, etc.
There are some good reasons why it does not do this as yet.

Quote:
I am tempted to have no minor leagues and operate with just a reserve roster; however, it’s not realistic that players not on the active roster would not be playing ...
They are playing, it's just that it's abstracted instead of actual games.

Quote:
Instead, I am leaning toward creating a Triple A and editing the league to correct cities, names, affiliations, etc.
You're going to have to make some compromises with reality in order to make that work. Note that there were three Class AAA minor leagues back then. Also, a few Major League clubs at the time had no Triple-A affiliate while others had more than one (e.g. in 1950, Senators had no Triple-A affiliate while the Dodgers had three).
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Remember1985
Bat Boy

Thanks for the advice. Even the Browns is on my reading list.

Should I disable the 10/5 rule? I thought it didn't start until Curt Flood in 1970. FYI, I've set trading to very low and difficulty to hard following Charlie Hough's suggestions.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

I generally turn off the 10/5 rule for historical leagues. I believe it was implemented in 1973, but LGO would be the authority on that.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Remember1985
Bat Boy

I’m in Spring Training of my 1946 St. Louis Browns historical league. There are a handful of players who played for the Browns in 1945 who didn’t return in 1946 that I would like to invite to camp: Milt Byrnes, Gene Moore, Pete Gray (the one-armed left fielder), Red Hayworth, and Ellis Clary. Most of these players went to the minor leagues, coached, or retired.

Where will their stats come from if they make the team? I am using player development and I’m using the following settings:

Retire players according to history is disabled
Players miss seasons accord to history is disabled

Player Ratings
Recalc player ratings based on real stats after each year
Ratings recalculation base 3 years

Should I change the recalc settings? What is my best option to maintain somewhat realistic stats for these unretired players and players who don’t retire according to history? My expectation is I might get one or two useful bench or reserve roster years out of one of these players.

EDIT: I found my answer on another thread:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...etirement.html

Last edited by Remember1985; 07-28-2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Found the answer on another thread
Remember1985 is offline   Reply With Quote