Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #21
Dave Hansen
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
Actually, this post is not 100% accurate

When scouting is turned off, the ratings are provided by OSA, which is pretty close to the real ratings but can technically still vary a bit from the true ratings that are in the data. But it's by far the most accurate method.
Per the manual:

SCOUTING OFF..."OSA will still provide scouting reports on players. Player ratings shown on lists of players will be the ACTUAL RATINGS for all players."

scouting off = no fog of war
Dave Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #22
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

I'm virtually certain that I've seen Markus state that this is not the case and that OSA does not always give you 100% accurate ratings.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #23
Neolithic
Minors (Double A)

I'm considering turning OVR/POT off, as I am becoming frustrated with it. While it is likely just the way I am looking at players, I'm seeing a lot of guys, who have ratings that are all 50+, not a slug defensively, ( and it shouldn't matter since I have OVR/POT based on player not position, which means OOTP rates them as a DH, which shouldn't take defensive ratings into consideration ) that are being given 20 POT, or .5 Stars...

I don't think they will be world beaters, but they are far from what I see as a 20 potential overall.

Also: I have scouting off, so my ratings are accurate, and not just what my scout would see.
Neolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #24
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Based on all players (not just positions) compares every player against every single other player in the league at all ratings, not just offense. Defense does (or should) still matter.

In my experience a 20-25 OVR player can still be a useful offensive player (or defensive player, depending on the skill set).
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #25
Neolithic
Minors (Double A)

Even so, I made sure to point out that some of the players in question, aren't scrubs defensively. So that shouldn't hurt their eval's.

And it's not so much the OVR that bugs me, bu the POT rating. When the game is telling me this guy is going to be a nobody, and his individual ratings say otherwise, is when I get irritated.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I must have missed that part of your post(s).

I just use OVR/POT as a rough guide. I do think that you have to look at the actual skills to get any decent idea of how good a guy will be. Case in point, I have a 18-yo in rookie ball who is a 50-ish POT (20-80), but has a CON potential of only 35 (good gap & HR power though). He'll never make the bigs if he doesn't develop a better CON than that, no matter what the AI says.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #27
Neolithic
Minors (Double A)

yup, that's what irritates me.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #28
Aumakua
Major Leagues

baseball probably has the most busts and unknown stars of any sport out there, its the hardest to scout because there are so many factors in making a pro baseball player. There are countless "can't miss" High school standouts, drafted high and never making it to the show. OOTP scouting just reflects this. A guy that everyone passed on could develop to be a hall of famer in real life, or at least a multi-time all star. and a guy with great skills and potential could have some serious drug or mental issues and never make it to the pros.

Every GM in baseball wishes their 1st round picks were sure MLB stars or even guaranteed to make the starting lineup, that just isn't the case.

Does anyone know how the AI views players in the draft? Do they look at real stats and potential or scouted values? does turning scouting off also mean the computer drafts differently?
Aumakua is offline   Reply With Quote