Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
gmaclean
Bat Boy

Stadium Costs

Currently if you are playing a fictional game and your running near capacity, no problem, go to the right screen and change the number. Right now I could change the capacity of a 1910 stadium to 80000 and never have a sellout, which might be beneficial early in the season or during the playoffs, maxing my attendance figures, unrealistically

How about the financial ramifications? Right now nada.

Would love to see the financial factors of the stadium capacity and upkeep be factored into the financials. Doing it on a "per seat" basis would be acceptable to me.
gmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
jmolony3
Minors (Double A)

If you are suggesting something along the lines of add 5,000 seats at the cost of $3 a seat for the next 5 years I am all for that.
jmolony3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
gmaclean
Bat Boy

Yes, I would go further, say (example costs could vary by era), $20 for luxe seats, $5 for standard seats, $2 for bleacher type seats... with appropriate response by your fan base to you improvements.
gmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Aumakua
Major Leagues

This is a GREAT idea, but should be expanded further. I am a little suprised its not already in there. I would love for the financials to be even more in depth than they are now and stadiums would be a huge part of it.

When a team switches stadiums or "builds" a new stadium there are no financial down falls. For instance the Cubs spending $500 million or whatever on a facelift, that should come from somewhere, especially if you are playing with no max cash or the $2.4 billion number.

Maybe something like EA Sports has in their Madden games, lobby for city contributions as well, so a $1 billion stadium might cost the team $500 million if the city agrees to half, but then some profits also go to the city.

Things that could be expanded on:

-concession prices, beer-hotdogs-soda-jerseys-hats...
-tiers of seat pricing, luxury, box, bleacher
-stadium upkeep
-renovations
-relocation expense (moving Montreal to Washington...)
-new stadium costs
-parking prices
-maybe ability to change the quality of food/service levels, higher costs equal better quality but also might bring in more fans...
-season tickets vs single game tickets

I realize a lot of these would probably be really in depth to create (like season ticket sales vs regular sales) but would be an awesome addition. Even if you just add a few each year. For most of us wanting the full financials enabled this would be very welcomed. Even adding an "owner" mode where you hire a GM or be your own GM but control all spending as well.

Last edited by Aumakua; 04-22-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Aumakua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

While I agree with the general sentiment being expressed, I do not think making this area excessively detailed is of real benefit. First there is the problem of real-world reference data—in order for OOTP to build a good simulation, it needs real data as a reference point. And there is virtually no financial data in the kind of detail that would be needed. While you can look up total attendance, for example, there is nothing which breaks down that attendance by seat type/cost. Furthermore, one must keep in mind the game's flexibility which means the rather different financial environments of earlier years or other leagues have to be considered.

Note too that as detail increases that means the AI has even more it has to deal with and utilize effectively, making it even harder to program. There is also the question of how many users would actually use fine levels of detail versus simply delegating such matters to an AI assistant, which raises the question of a cost/benefit analysis as to whether the detail is worth the time to incorporate. Personally, I think it best to focus on a more abstracted or simplified approach that is, giving the user the feeling of reality without bogging them down in a myriad of details. Of course, where that line is drawn will vary by the user, but it's an important one to consider.

Now, with that introduction out of the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aumakua View Post
Maybe something like EA Sports has in their Madden games, lobby for city contributions as well, so a $1 billion stadium might cost the team $500 million if the city agrees to half, but then some profits also go to the city.
IMO more detail than is necessary. There is the question of how such 'negotiating' routines would work: what's in it for the city? Cities themselves would now need an AI algorithm. I'd simply abstract out the public portion by reducing the cost of a new ballpark, based upon the era (in the U.S. these days the public tends to fund much or even most of a ballpark's cost, but that was not always the case).

Quote:
-concession prices, beer-hotdogs-soda-jerseys-hats...
Again IMO more detail than is necessary.

Quote:
-tiers of seat pricing, luxury, box, bleacher
Generally agree, though I would keep it simple: a 'regular' seat and a 'premium' seat (which would represent luxury suites and club seats). The user would decide on the percentage of their park's capacity would be which type. The average ticket price would apply to all seats, but premium seating produces an extra amount of revenue beyond the ticket price, in essence a revenue bonus. Basically, X% of capacity which is premium produces Y% of additional revenue beyond the ticket sales amount. This system mimics reasonably well what happens in real life without having to go into more detail.

There would also have to be some sort of control on how much of a park can be converted to premium seating to mimic the kind of real-life constraints that clubs face in this area.

Quote:
-stadium upkeep
Agreed. However, I view this as more of a simple expense line on the cost side.

Quote:
-renovations
To me this means (a) increasing the capacity of the park, as was common in the early part of the 20th century; (b) increasing the amount of premium seating in the park; and (c) adding lights to a park. That last one is very much overlooked. In the early years of night baseball there was a huge attendance difference between night and day games, which is why night games became the standard (though these days the night game advantage is minimal). Of course, to make adding lights meaningful the game's attendance algorithms would need to be updated to be more reflective of such real-world attendance patterns.

Personally I think managing these three renovations would be enough.

Quote:
-relocation expense (moving Montreal to Washington...)
I don't think costs need to be involved. But I do think there ought to be more interaction with the league when it comes to relocations, via interactive winter meetings where owners vote whether to approve certain proposals.

Quote:
-new stadium costs
Agreed. The trick is how to handle this. I see it working like this: the user has a choice of stadium 'models' from which they can choose based upon the era they're playing. The 'models' range from the cheap to the expensive, and are based on representative real-world ballparks of that era. The user then makes the choice based upon the stadium 'model' they think their club can afford. The cost to the club is a fixed dollar amount, which is then paid for by either (a) paying a fixed dollar amount every season for a set number of seasons, e.g. $10 million per year for ten years; or (b) a set percentage of revenue for a given number of seasons, e.g. 2% of revenue for ten years. I'm not sure which method is better, but either seems a reasonable approach easy for the user (and AI) to weigh.

Quote:
-parking prices
Not needed IMO. Plus not every stadium has parking spaces and parking revenue.

Quote:
-maybe ability to change the quality of food/service levels, higher costs equal better quality but also might bring in more fans...
Again, I don't think this level of detail is really necessary. Just getting attendance to be more realistic in terms of which days and times fans typically show up for games will be a big enough advance (see earlier comment about night games).

Quote:
-season tickets vs single game tickets
I don't think this is necessary. It's simpler to have OOTP count when folks show up at the ballpark and then collect the money.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Aumakua
Major Leagues

I get what you are saying about the details which is why I mentioned just getting a few of these to start, the basics like having some sort of stadium "costs" every year, I think the fact that the ticket price is 100% profit and all you have to pay for is player and coach salaries is a bit too simple.

I do wish relocation was a bit more involved, currently you just edit the team... It would be nice to have a relocation button and something that maybe guides you through it, picking the city, team name, uniforms... to make it feel more like a real relocation even though you are simply doing the same thing as "editing" the team page. Would be nice to have it logged in league history without having to manually do it as well.

I do like simplified stadium costs options you mentioned, not that you can only have one of X stadiums, but "type of stadiums" so you get to choose 1 of lets say 4 "types" and then can still edit the dimensions and stuff. But there would have to be some sort of factor in ticket prices/attendance to show a benefit of choosing a better stadium.

You are right, extreme detail isn't for everyone, but I am a finance guy so I love detail, but something is better than nothing!

Last edited by Aumakua; 04-22-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Aumakua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:47 AM   #7
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

I've got quite a few thoughts on the stadium, been researching that and the financial side for quite awhile, then mulling things over and over to try and arrive at a good system. If I get the chance I'll try to follow up later this week.

In the meantime, if you haven't seen this site before, Aumakua, you may want to check it out: Clem's Baseball Stadiums. An excellent resource on ballparks past and present.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote