Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 08-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #101
Shah Rukh
Bat Boy

sorry for yet another post but...

I still didn't shut down the computer because I fear if I do you will post a solution / workarround for my problem five minutes later.
Please leave a short note if you think there is none or you simply don't have the time to look into the problem (that would be absolutely okay for me)

Yours
Shah Rukh
Shah Rukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #102
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

I don't mean to butt in here, but I don't think battists meant that he was going to do something on his end to actually free up your computer. It is unlikely that his editing of a page in the manual is going to affect the situation on your end. It sounds like you have at least a partial crash that you may be able to recover from and not disturb your currently running session of OOTP.

You said you looked at Task Manager. Did/does that screen look something like below? If so, can you highlight the Internet browser entry (because that is what I would think may be the problem, not OOTP - all the manual menu entry does in the game is call up your browser to go to that web site) and select End Task? You may have to wait a bit and perhaps try again; sometimes it does not want to let go.

If that does not work, however, then you have a full crash and will have to reboot your computer. You can do that by selecting Restart from the Shut Down menu in the Task Manager screen or by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL again.

Now for the bad news. This means that you will lose your OOTP game results from the last time you saved it and, unfortunately, you run the risk of having corrupted your league files in the bargain. Definitely a demonstration of the need to back up your files regularly.

battists, if I have spoken out of turn here and you were working on something for this fellow, please feel free to gently chide me.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 08-02-2008 at 10:47 AM.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #103
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shah Rukh View Post

sorry for yet another post but...

I still didn't shut down the computer because I fear if I do you will post a solution / workarround for my problem five minutes later.
Please leave a short note if you think there is none or you simply don't have the time to look into the problem (that would be absolutely okay for me)

Yours
Shah Rukh
Sorry, I'm actually on vacation right now, but there isn't anything I can do to unlock your PC from where it is right now . . .
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:32 AM   #104
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

By the way, he said he got that error "when I tried to enter section 10.1 Statistics and Abbreviations of the manual" which led me to think of IE, naturally, but I got the same error message by pressing F1 on the screen below. I have seen this error before in other situations, I believe. In this one, you can "OK" out of it although it takes a few clicks.
Attached Images
Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #105
Shah Rukh
Bat Boy

Oops ... reminds me of Bill Murray

it was Lost in Translation (English is not my mother tongue)

Thanks for clearing things up
Shah Rukh

P.S.:
Second best thing today: was able to upload a GREAT avatar
First best thing today: Manny in town !!! 7-11, 1 2B, 2 HR, 5 RBI
Shah Rukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:07 PM   #106
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Hi battists,

I was looking at the page about the "Rules" under the league setup:

OOTP Baseball Manual - Rules Page

... because I had a question about the new luxury tax and soft cap features, and how they interact with the old "cash maximum" method of revenue sharing. The manual shows a screenshot of the OOTP 9 Rules screen showing these new items, but there's no description or info on the items.

I posted in the General Discussions forum asking for clarifications on how this work before I advance into my first offseason with OOTP9. Any plans to update this section soon? If not, could you or someone who understands the new financial revenue sharing features respond to my post in the General Discussions forum?

Thanks!
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #107
jjmjgnx
Minors (Rookie Ball)

PDF Version of manual

Will there be a PDF version of OOTP9's manual? When OOTP10 comes out the webpage for OOTP9 will get replaced with 10. For those of us who may not go to 10 will not have a manual to refer to.
jjmjgnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:03 AM   #108
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if this has been posted before in this thread, but the mention of injuries.dat should be eliminated from the manual as the game no longer works that way. In OOTP Baseball Manual - When is the Injury File Used? it says,
Quote:
Like the name files, the injury data is transferred to a file called injury.dat in your saved game directory when the game is created, so that after the creation of a game, you cannot modify the injury data being used for that game.
I had noticed this in the manual before but I was reminded of it when somebody asked a question about injuries.dat here:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...uries-dat.html

My response was,
Quote:
They eliminated injuries.dat for 2007, I believe. Now the game loads injuries.txt for each session of OOTP.
I see that this is in the Customizing OOTP section of the manual, one that battists has not finished revising yet according to his last status post.

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 08-12-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #109
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...or-manual.html
Nutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #110
Vinny P.
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
I don't know if this has been posted before in this thread, but the mention of injuries.dat should be eliminated from the manual as the game no longer works that way. In OOTP Baseball Manual - When is the Injury File Used? it says,

I had noticed this in the manual before but I was reminded of it when somebody asked a question about injuries.dat here:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...uries-dat.html

My response was,

I see that this is in the Customizing OOTP section of the manual, one that battists has not finished revising yet according to his last status post.
Funny you should bring that up. I recently asked about first_names.txt/first_names.dat. My question either did not make sense, or noone knew the solution, or else I missed something somewhere, and was a completely n00b kind of question that is "too" obvious.

In the manual, it talks about the workaround in the injuries.dat file in which you could simply edit the txt file, create a new universe, copy the new .dat file from the new universe, over the old .dat file in the first universe. The game would then create/use the new injuries.dat file in that universe.

But now you mentioned that the game no longer uses the .dat files. Is that true with the names.dat files as well?

Also, if ootp 9 still uses name.dat, would the workaround in the injuries.dat work the same for the names.dat?

I ask this, because I am STILL having an inordinate amount of "Joes" being created due to my poorly-created/edited names file.

I made a mistake with my names file, but have since fixed it. The game is still creating a bunch of Joes.

Also, since steve is still working on the manual, does he still want us to report misspelled words, and other issues with the manual? There are a bunch of mistakes in the manual, and don;t really want to bother him with every little thing I come across if he is still actively fixing it.

Thanks!
Vinny P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:32 PM   #111
Adrockski
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilianth View Post
Also, since steve is still working on the manual, does he still want us to report misspelled words, and other issues with the manual? There are a bunch of mistakes in the manual, and don;t really want to bother him with every little thing I come across if he is still actively fixing it.
See Steve's latest update, and if you find any misspellings or errors in any of the sections listed in blue, please let us know!
Adrockski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:08 PM   #112
Vinny P.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrockski View Post
See Steve's latest update, and if you find any misspellings or errors in any of the sections listed in blue, please let us know!
Oh, my bad, I just jumped straight to the end. I've already read through it, don't think I will again, because I believe I finally have a thorough understanding of the game, and how everything works. I just thought there might be something about the game that I have missed, which there were a few things.

Still wondering about the first_names.dat thing though.
Vinny P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #113
kcroyalgm
All Star Reserve

Regarding the manual discussing draft lists here:
OOTP Baseball Manual - Draft Lists

The discussion about examples seems abruptly cut off and the examples are never given.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #114
DodgerFan2
Banned

Nothing going on in this thread for a long time. I was wondering about when the manual will be finished. And will there be a pdf available when it is. Thanks.
DodgerFan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:26 AM   #115
kq76
Global Moderator

A newcomer, Mike R, just released a PDF manual: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...df-manual.html
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote